Starting from the beginning, how long will it take me to watch all of One Piece? Is it worth watching?

Starting from the beginning, how long will it take me to watch all of One Piece? Is it worth watching?

Other urls found in this thread:

animefillerlist.com/shows/one-piece
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

No.

>watch

Better translation (unless you can get Viz manga) but not worth it. The anime gets to awful levels of stalling to not outpace the manga.

>Is it worth watching?
No, read it

I'm pretty sure it'd take you a year of non-stop streaming to get through the Doflamingo arc. I'm not sure, I stopped the anime there, but that seemed to be the pace they were going for.

It's a good watch until a certain point in the series where each episode is considered one chapter.

The problem with One Piece anime is, it's great and it shines during the exciting parts, but it drags every single panel out to make it last a whole 24 minutes. They don't seem to like doing fillers, so in order to not reach the manga, they'll drag the episodes on.

It happens in a certain arc of the anime, but everything before it is fantastic.
It's a definite watch. If you binge watch it, it should take a couple months.

I'm behind and am at the end of this arc currently. I haven't kept up with it recently.

about 11 days nonstop to watch the whole thing
>only takes about a week to read

You read it, and the answer on how longer will it take you to read it all is a week if you don't do anything else, a month if you have school.

It's the best manga ever made and a decent anime, READ IT

So this may be a bit long, I did exactly what you are asking about

from the ~15th of September i started watching one piece from the start, and a friend of mine started his spreadsheet of my episodes per day

i was doing anywhere from 20-25 eps a day to 100-120 eps a week, with 800 something was weekly released roughly 2 months or could of been less to complete and catch up

>Watch
Read nigga read.

>watching one piece

read the manga like a real human bean

>how long will it take me to watch all of One Piece
Skipping OP's and ED's, and any recap episodes if there are any, and ignoring the movies, rounding up roughly 300 hours.

>human bean
kek

Read it, the manga's art and pacing is far better, you don't have to put up with awful voice acting, cheesy sound effects even during serious scenes, and pretty bland music, and it's overall way way faster.
Assuming a single chapter takes you 5 minutes to read (as is roughly average), the manga at current will take you 74 hours to read. The anime at current will take you 340 hours to watch.

Never watch the One Piece anime outside of the movies, it becomes slower and more cheaply produced over time and when it finally hits what was the slowest arc in the manga you'll probably want to kill yourself before you're even halfway through the anime version of it.

Far easier to read, but honestly if you're smart enough to skip all flash backs and the 5 minute recap/OP at the start of every episode, you're saving a lot of time.

Toei dropped the ball, HARD, on one piece

The animation recently is laughably bad, ever since Dressrosa it looks like a deviant art animation with cut and paste assets being dragged across the screen, really choppy frames and terrible character animations for scenes with multiple characters in the,. And of course a lack of filler has forced them to minimize progression with 6 minutes of OP, intro, drawing out scenes and "last episode..."

They hired a senior animator for sakuga on the gear fourth and some more of the doflamingo fight, but the rest of the toei team should be put in front of a firing squad.

Read the digitally coloured version. And if you really feel like it, watch the major fights, those are generally ok

Anime is great up until 30%~ of the way through Dressrosa (the arc before the current one), and it eventually reverts back to pre-Dressrosa levels. If you prefer watching over reading, there's no reason not to. It's not like the manga's art is amazing or anything.

Dressrosa was fucking horrible, though.

>animation so bad that you can't tell what's going on
>sounds aren't matching what's going on on-screen
>showing the same 15~ seconds of animation like three times in the same episode

>It's not like the manga's art is amazing or anything.
Hard disagree. Oda is on par with early Toriyama in his ability to convey movement and impact in his art, and in making his characters ultra expressive and memorable through their acting. Something which the anime, despite actually having the ability to make things move and have the characters act, utterly fails at.

>watching a modern Toei adaptation
Don't. Just as I finally ripped myself away from the One Piece anime I picked up DBS for muh nostalgia and memery. At most watch it for a sense of the voice actors, a few fights, and the higher budget movies where they actually try to make the animation look good. Also I unironically recommend the g8 filler arc after reading through skypiea. Toei has become too big for its own good and doesn't deserve any of the franchises it has the rights to, and other studios like Pierrot who regularly deal with long running shows often multiple at the same time handle them much better.

817 episodes at ~20 minutes each is 272.3 hours, or 11.3 days nonstop. You can skip the filler arcs though. I watched up to around episode 650 or so before I caught up and switched to the manga, took about 6 months.

Fuck y'all who say to read or skip the filler shit because it's faster—except for obvious recap episodes (like the painful ~6-episode stretch right when things are getting exciting in the Water 7/el combo arc), all One Piece is precious. There's never enough. You'll regret not getting every second of One Piece you could possibly get. Because, when you're done watching...life becomes an endless void...like...like piloting the Grand Line without a Log Pose ;(

Yes it is worth reading/watching. I would watch all the watch until the they get around The fishman island arc and just read from there until the currently playing whole cake island Arc. So far whole cake island is excellent.

Skipping the OP and recap would shave a good 5-8 minutes off each episode, especially nearly half way into the series.

I get that One Piece is overall the best regarded manga in Sup Forums and a "must-read" for everyone. But I just can't stand its character designs. I think the women are hideous and the men are cartoonish as can be. There is something about those noses, creepy eyes, and the long thin bodies that put me completely off. I really want to like it and enjoy it as much as you, but jeez, the art looks very unappealing to me.

I'm not oppossed to watching the anime for more one piece in general. But only after you've read the manga first. It's clearly the best option, especially for the first time. The anime can be good for supplementary or revisting a second time material, I guess.

>China import Calculus instructor in university randomly recommends One Piece to the whole class
>Already knew about it just never got into it
>Start to finish, caught up to Hazard Punk arc in 2 days.
>Gave him a 5 star review end of class

Read the manga.

I just finished watching One Piece earlier this week. If I had to do it all over again I wouldn't. I do really enjoy it, but fuck me it took half my free time over three months to catch up. I'd read the manga instead.

Watch the Kaizoku Fansubs episodes (about 200) they really show how comfy early one piece is

Nothing wrong with starting to watch it. You can always jump over to the manga if you feel it slowing down. In my opinion besides brief moments in Alabasta, Skypiea, it isn't until towards the end of the Water 7 Saga that the pacing of the anime starts getting poor.

I watched the series and I will keep watching them, but also I'm reading the manga, and you get the most out of the manga. If there was someone brave enough to make a shorter series with the anime it would be a very good thing, took me 3 years to reach the current episodes. The Soundtrack is nice, and some fights are way better in anime, but as a whole, manga is the way to go for One Piece.

Forgot to mention their wonderful animated subs

The anime stays good for a while, but declines after a few hundred episodes. The main advantages to the anime are the great voice acting and music. However, the gap between the positives and negatives begins to widen as the series goes on. It is probably better to just start with the manga instead of waiting until the anime wears you down to the point that you have to switch over to the manga, or do some combination of reading and watching major scenes when you get to them.

By watching the anime you also miss out on:
>The very first part of the story that introduces some characters that become important later on.
>The extra stories the author does showing the whereabouts and status of characters from previous arcs.
>Some of the series best art on the cover pages of some chapters
>Some of the best paneling in the business that makes scenes flow together

Also if you enjoy the series, look up the SBS on the One Piece Wikia. It's she authors Q&A corner and has some of the series' best humor.

Friend of mine watched everything in a little under two months
That was three years ago so add a couple weeks to that
But really you should read the manga for the most part, only watch the animu on certain arcs (w7/enies lobby, thriller bark, impel down)

One Pace

Can't really fault you for that. Oda has some pretty extreme designs, the most notorious offenders being his women. That can be pretty polarizing.
As a long time reader, I've started to appreciate a lot of the art decisions he's made though. I really like the height differences in the manga; it makes them seem like the artistic representation of folk lore descriptions of mythical figures. After reading a bunch of other manga, it's also nice to see a world full of different body types that don't just appear as joke characters. It makes the world feel much more diverse, which is crucial for a story about exploring the world.

Watching 10 episodes per day, it would take about 3 months to catch up. Manga read at a moderate pace is 2 weeks or so. People that say it can be read in a few days speedread and often have little comprehension of the series.

I watched the whole damn thing so many years ago, I have a lot of nostalgia for everything up until around Sabaody, but I wouldn't really recommend it

if your going to watch
watch one pace, then you could even jack it up to 1.25 or 1.5 x and fly through dialogue and save a few days

So I'm watching the anime and I just got to the buggy episode.

There is zero godamn fucking chance a pirate crew of 30 men would not be running a train on Nami during her welcoming party. These guys are all starved of female companionship and are getting drunk as fuck and she is the only fuckable in the entire town. My suspension of disbelief is stretched beyond reason.

Why not just have fun and enjoy it at a regular pace? Why is there a rat race to fly through One Piece so quickly when it's best experienced slow.

I bought this game just to play that bikini Perona.

Everyone is saying read the manga but I'd watch the anime until the end of the enies lobby arc.
That shouldn't take too long and you can read the manga from then because the anime becomes shit.

Don't do it user.

>early One Piece
I remember being mad at how much they slowed Baratie arc down in the anime. Little did I know.

I would wait until the series was completed. Oda takes too many breaks, and you could catch up in a week or two if you are a student.

One Piece is aimed at 10 year olds.

Dude did you see how they dress they are all gay.

You're pretty much suggesting to wait for a decade minimum. There's no guarantee any of us will live long enough to see the end of One Piece.

animefillerlist.com/shows/one-piece

The only question is whether it's better to watch it or read it.
OST, good VAs and fights make it worth watching until Thriller bark arc, that's 1-336 episodes including minimal amounts of filler. After that the episodes start dragging to not catch up with the manga, but its still tolerable until the time skip, around episode 517. Moreover, after Thriller Bark arc come two of the best arcs in the series - Impel Down arc and Marineford arc, and you might prefer to watch it than read it.
Anyway, at the latest on the timeskup, switch to manga. There's a colorized version which I prefer and it goes up to 700 something chapters.
How long? Took me about 1.5-2 months of watching it about 12 hours a day.

>streaming

>newfags

I wasn't working nor studying when I decided to start reading it again from the beginning, and it took me like 3 or 4 months.
There's a lot of dialogues, so unless OP is a speed reader who wants to catch up as soon as possible, there's no way you can finish it in a month, let alone a week.

No it's not learn what the fuck Shounen means.

(However many episodes we're at X 22) + (however many episodes come out while you're watching those X 22)

You should read it.
Then, when ur in love with Namis Boobs , watch the anime

Watch the one pace project. they condensed the episodes deleting the streched scenes and recaps.