twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

AND YOU DON'T SEEM TO UNDERSTAND

lets

all

love

lain

Not to mention incomprehensible
>never explain what wired is
>is it the internet? is it a game? why is it so popular?
>how does she break the windows?
>why are the knights obsessed with the wired
>lain can literally hack real life
>implied she became a god by hacking
>never explained

I thought at first it was about mind uploading and going into "heaven" through technology. Boy, was I wrong.

how does it feel to be retarded? do you often notice the differences between you and people of average intelligence?

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Lain.

what's it like being a basic bitch?

I wish I had a friend like Arisu!

>216 KB JPG Anonymous 12/10/17(Sun)22:53:23 No.1
you have to be anishercal ot get it

I know they made most of SEL by daisy-chaining some ideas they thought was cool/weird together after watching the X-Files. You can't fool me, bitch.

I gather the director intended it to be incomprehensible to Americans. So he was probably an asshat.

Lainfagging has been going on long before Rick and Morty

you're either underage of just an air head

Hey user.

Every single lain thread.
You spineless retards are so fucking annoying.

>namecalling instead of actually answering anything

I hope I live to see Despera get made.

>skeleton found at his computer by walls covered in tally marks

how long has it been

America from Sup Forums, is it you?

I wawated this sas too cause of this thrad. I winished a fist epitode before i had to DROP its fucking TOO mach for me to handle. What tje FUCK it's even happening? ? ?

So The main characher Lain i Assume Her Name kills herself to piss off a riajuus or some whatever and but she's ALIVE in the next sean? What? And why Her Friend is such a slut? it's so clear from the first epitic that I can't watch it show without the lasviciousness of such a character making it impotible a focus a fonic on the screan.

But the Part that FUCKINg made me DROP the SHOW bacase it ware too WOW the fucking MESSAGE tthe Lain messages Her Self some How from or the Dead Lain. What hte FUCK is this shit?

And Can We Talk A minute ABOUT Lain, like I don't get It what's nobody fucking Talkis about it did nobody realizwe but she's A flearly ANISCHERAL to an severity. How FUcking BLIND are you popes, she's a FUCKING ANIEST, it's SO OBVITOS. HOW COME NOBODY TALKS ABOUT THAT.

ANd that Fucking Bear Site HELLO, kinotagen Call it wants its Site Back.

lol all of that was explained, you're just a brainlet
go back to watching monogatari, that's more your pace

Many people find philosophy to be that way. The most important part of Lain is how the viewer ponders the questions it asks, and if you aren't interested in or don't hear them then it's really not something you should continue.

t. brainlet

the show is not brainlets
most of people of high IQ on Sup Forums and Sup Forums love it.

Jesus christ, how can you be this dumb?

Watch it again, but actually pay attention

You really don't seem to understand
A shame you seemed an honest man

lol, people responding but nobody answers the questions. Only insults or telling the poster to watch again.

What questions does lain ask?

What deep philosophy does lain delve into?

Because they clearly fucking explain it in the show and if your too stupid to understand the basic plot points then you should rewatch it

Just seems to me like people are pretending to know whats going on to feel superior.

If you don't want to explain anything that's fine. I am not going to rewatch the show though.

people think lain being a god is good writing, anyway, you need to take into account when this anime was released, a lot of things taken as granted now wasn't that way at that time, it describes internet and society pretty well

HOLY SHIT I JUST REALIZED
Learning
Artificial
Intelligence
Network

Lain!

True
Ra in Rain also the same as the word "Raaningu" which is learning in Japanese

schizo lain poster best Sup Forums poster

here's your (you) you fucking pleb. I hope you fucking learn.

It's the fucking internet. It's a cyberpunk internet. People mostly use it for work, but improving tech is allowing vr and shit, and the nerds and doing some dodgy cyberpunk nonsense
yes, yes, that's why.
If the internet just became a thing and rapid tech advances was making it vr-capable and this shit was so rare you peddled it at a nightclub, obviously it's popular

>how does she break the windows
she's becoming a god. it becomes apparent that somehow the line between reality and the internet is actually quite thin, and lain has become absurdly good at that shit

>why are the knights obsessed
they are nerds. they also do the math and realise shit like lain is possible. it holds potential

yes, that is evident. it is within the show
no, she hacked by becoming a god
>never explained
see above

Who's stronger after all, Lain or Haruhi?

You find THIS boring?
Wait until you see RahXephon, Texhnolyze, .hack//SIGN, Ergo Proxy or Haibane Renmei

I'm sorry that you have a shit attention span and can't appreciate this show. That honestly must suck.

I love all the other shows you listed so I guess I should pick RahXephon up. Thanks user.

Which is the best version that watch this?

vhs rip full of flutter and tracking issues

Some of the things you mentioned actually are explained or are just implied, and others you really do have to rewatch and figure out on your own. It's something I wouldn't say you would be wrong about if you called it a flaw. That being said, you should probably learn to recognize posts that are made in jest.

Despera when anons ??

It was remastered to Bluray some years ago

didn't one of the BR releases have like, yify bluray rip tier banding problems?

Apparently Funimation's limited edition box for Western release (which I own) does, but I haven't been able to actually play the bluray disks yet to experience it for myself. People complained about it, but others have said that it wasn't all that noticeable.

>Never explain what wired is
It's the internet, or at least very similar.
>Why is it so popular
Because it's the internet.
>how does she break the windows
>she became a god by hacking
Eiri's new-generation protocols for the wired are designed to have some sort of connection to the schuuman resonance, which allows the wired to interface directly with the human collective subconscious/akashic records.
Lain is a program that was designed to bring down the barrier between the wired and the real world. The knights resurrection of the KIDS project gives Lain her reality-warping psionic abilities, while the ability to affect other people's minds and memories is due to her having direct access to the human subconscious.
The exposition dumps are pretty heavily rooted in pseudoscience, new-age bullshit and conspiracy theory. Most of it isn't just meaningless dense bullshit, as much as it seems to be, particularly when talking about the structure of the wired and the schumann resonance.

Too bad they don't stop being boring exposition dumps, and the nonexistent story and lack of any actual characters doesn't really help on making the show bearable. This show's atmosphere and visuals carry it at first but when they start explaining all the bullshit, and when the aliens show up it just feels like they're throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks.

Thanks MAL.

I thought the infodump's coming out when you're wondering what's happening was well executed atmospherically with the seemingly conspiratorial elements going on, and there is definitely a story there that they explain in the series. They outright tell you that the alien stuff wasn't actually true. It's a callback to an earlier internet chain mail/rumor about an alien in a striped sweater peeking into a girl's room. It was a red herring setting you up for the truth that they give you at the end of the episode.

So she became a god because she became a god? Great explanation, awesome writing.

You seem to have missed the part where she's intrinsically connected to what the wired is. Combine that with the explicitly mentioned blurring between the real world and wired and Lain's free will to stop Eiri and what do you think is happening? All of this is present in the series, if you've actually watched it.

me too!

No it isn't.

It's been some time, but I think I can try to explain how I understood it.

It's probabably pretty similar to the internet, it's a protocol that connects machines/people. Maybe a series of tubes.

It kind of transcends the realms of internet and it's a bit more abstract due to the ability of being capable to not be reliant on any machine per se, but more of a frequency of earth itself, with capabilities of creating a united world consciousness.

>how does she break the windows?
I really have no idea which part would that be, but I suppose to relates to Lain being capable of manipulating physical reality. Not sure it's been exactly explained, but I'd say it could have something to do with universal earth frequency and the growing power of the wired over the lives of the people, the more people get in there, the easier is for Lain to manifest in reality.

>why are the knights obsessed with the wired
Why wouldn't they? It's a whole entire realm of possibilities/existence, surely someone would find it fascinating and would want to indulge in it quite fanatically, seems rather natural.

Not sure these are the correct terms, but yes, she has the ability to influence the physical realm with her power. I mean there's been the whole episode about the mind of children being capable of influencing reality.

I wouldn't put it that way, Lain is a program that has a kind of root access to the wired, which was then used in a frequency to try to connect all people together, meaning she gained a lot of power over these people self, meaning she gained power over the reality self as humans comprehend it. With the inclusion of the earth frequency, she could just reside, observe and influence any human she wishes with being literally tied to earth as a physical object. Not really a god, but still pretty impressive.

Yes it is. Later episodes tell you that Eiri gave Lain a body, word for word, and that she was "born" to break down the border between the wired and real worlds and connect everybody without the need for bodies. Eiri's plot is laid out clearly word for word, because it is a basic plot point. I've seen this series many times, so I think I know the content of the episodes enough to remember basic plot elements. These aren't even the things that are obscured by the writing of the series. Come on man.

I thought MAL liked these kind of shows to appear smart, but then again I don't read MAL reviews like you apparently do.

The show had had almost no exposition until then so the sudden barrage of bullshit that comes your way all at once clashes with the tone of the show, makes the story from that point on harder to follow (and in my opinion much less interesting) making you have to rewatch the episode/read complementary material, and even Lain after that stops being a character.

user I'm with you at this, the show is vague and pretentious, none of the Lainlets here have an idea about the show

Yes, the myriad of people explaining the details for you is surely evidence that we know nothing about this series. If you think it's pretentious, care to explain exactly why?

It's blurred by other details, but I would say the exposition is there. It's a weirdly written show, and I won't disagree with that, but stuff about the wired, the Knights, and the mystery of what's going on are present in earlier episodes. Lain starts from apparently having no connection to the internet, being gradually introduced to something that she actually has an inherent connection to, and it becomes apparent that the wired and real worlds are being crossed with the KIDS incident and Lain's sister's breakdown.

>I'm too stupid to understand this story so none other can understand it either, especially the fans.
This is a whole new kind of stupid.

but muh 3x3 thread but lain muhh 2dep5u

This seems to be a misconception. What I remember from that interview is that he expected western and eastern audiences to have different opinions about the thematic material, but was surprised when they didn't.

It's not difficult to understand the show if you pay attention and actually think while watching. Saying that it's too vague or pretentious says more about you than it does about Lain.

It's not a bad show in any way, i really like the aesthetics. It just spawns the worst people when somebody starts discussing about it.

There's the people who were expecting some sort of proper explanation that ties everything together and because we don't get that the show is completely shit for them. I can understand this view, but is the show thrash because it leaves things for interpretation? I don't think so.

On the other hand, then there's the people who pretend to know exact interpretation of every little thing and praise the show of being some sort of absolute masterpiece. I don't think that this is right either.

It's like arguing about modern art. The opinions differ so much that these discussions only create an eternal shitstorm.

There are a lot of different versions in nyaa, which is the best?

A lot of people make threads like this or come into threads and just post outright insults instead of asking for details, so that's why so many of them are responded to with jokery or further insult.

I don't believe that media is usually written with the express intent to have multiple interpretations, so it's understandable for someone to think they have the right answer, and for something like this where there are so many small details that require explanation that is not given to make sense, they will want to explain everything and think that they know the little details. Just saying there's no point because it's up to interpretation just neutralizes any substance. We have had good threads about this series in the past, but people only ever want to whine about it or spam the lyrics to the OP.

>It's a weirdly written show

It's a poorly written mess. The infodump could have been done in a different way, it's a shower of information that doesn't even make complete sense unless you're rewatching the show, it completely ruins the pacing the show seemingly had, and it definitely feels like it's just a bunch of random stuff the author just wanted to throw to see what sense people would make of it. And that's not even mentioning that overall only Arisu feels like an actual character at the end, and the events of the show don't even end up affecting her character at the end.

I think it makes sense. Later episodes clear up Eiri's connection to it, and it explicitly says that MJ-12 was a forgery, so if you're paying attention you can deduce that it was a red herring to introduce the real important figure, Vannevar Bush. I didn't think it ruined the pacing on my first watch - I thought of it as a "shit got real" moment with a good musical and aesthetic atmosphere. It's disconnected from the narrative by coming from an outside source that isn't a character or element of the world lore, but I don't think that's a bad thing, it's just an aesthetic choice to explain background information. It doesn't feel forced precisely because of the aesthetic and atmosphere attached to it, and while I don't believe internet usage and technology is what this series was about, the combination of information and introduction of the red herring fit the concept of the nature of information on the internet as repeatedly explored in the series as the wired enters the real world. Note all the scenes in earlier episodes that specifically show internet discussions and rumors between people on the wired.

>And that's not even mentioning that overall only Arisu feels like an actual character at the end

Arisu doesn't even feel like an actual character, she's just the only character that can express emotions without sounding like she has intense diarrhea.

Haibane isn't boring, at least it's comfy. Almost died of comfiness when I watched it.

Look, you don't have to explain the story to me, the point I'm trying to make it's not that the story doesn't make sense, but that the way it's executed is just really bad. One second the author is seemingly making everything vague, and the next he puts in the most boring infodump I've ever watched, and because of that the tone and pacing go to shit. He also clearly doesn't know how to write actual characters into the story so he stops trying halfway through. Why should I care about the story or the characters if the author does nothing to make any part of the show stay even remotely interesting?

And I explained why I thought the infodump wasn't executed badly and was an aesthetic choice consistent with the show's thematic material. If you want a real tonal and pacing shift for an infodump, see Ergo Proxy's. I didn't find the pacing of Lain off when I first saw this series, and I felt that elements of the story were plenty interesting in a way that had me hooked when the infodump started. There are vague and unexplained elements which make this show cryptic, but these elements aren't the main plot, which is tangible and explained. The main plot elements that are "vague" are done so to create a sense of mystery, and I personally never felt that there was an inconsistency or a sudden shift come the time of the infodump that wasn't typical of any other reveal. I have no comment on the characters - they could have been explored better.

It can't be boring, Lain is the best.

That quiz show...

The wired is basically a next-stage internet that taps into the schumann resonance, an IRL frequency the earth produces, to basically allow things to connect through the atmosphere of the planet itself. In Lain it's established that a possible direction for humanity's evolution would of been to use the schumann resonance to be able to form a psychically networked all encompassing hive mind, allowing the connection and modification of people's minds and even effecting how they perceive the "real" world around them (Lain experiments with this by changing people's memories to make it so events "never happened") The Wired in itself is basically an alternative form of existence itself. Lain is a fake person who was engineered to exist just as much in the wired as she does in the "real" world, people recognize her in the wired despite her never using a computer because she exists just as much in there as in real life. As her physical and wired forms converged she learns that since she is a bridge between the essence of perception (the wired) and the physical world, any time she is perceived by other people that perception of herself exists just as much as her "real" self. This results in the many versions of Lain seen throughout the show. As she becomes more comfortable with her two different forms and gradually brings them together she becomes more powerful at manipulating both planes of existence. I'd type more but I'm tired. It's all explained, watch it again. Let's all love lain.

I suppose that's just a matter personal opinion. I was interested somewhat into the mystery in the first half but the second half was so mindnumbingly boring that I was craving for some character interaction or something else but the show did absolutely nothing for me.

>you need to watch the show multiple times to understand it and to be good
lmao

Who are you quoting?

>"I want a show that I can pump and dump. I can't comprehend a show that rewards its audience for being attentive and active through multiple viewings."

first reply best reply as always

I'll have what he's having

Considering all of the screenshots of the anime always involve the main character stare at the computer monitor and nothing else, this is what passes as "deep" anime.

Try watching it with the sound turned off. The sound is awful but the plot is wonderful.

>the sound is awful
how

You don't seem to understand

The only good thing about this shit anime is the opening. /thread

>The sound is awful
The humming powerline noise is great though. Ominous as fuck. youtube.com/watch?v=OoGChbQ3h5E

those humming powerlines are so hypnotic

>It's a callback to an earlier internet chain mail/rumor about an alien in a striped sweater peeking into a girl's room.
What was this rumor called?

I actually have that set. I think I have seen some banding, but I am not personally great at noticing it.

Hahahahahahahaha How The Fuck Is Lain Real Hahahaha Nigga Just Walk Away From The Wired Like Nigga Close Your Laptop Haha

Yeah generally the best shows and movies have extra details for you to notice and absorb while rewatching them.

May lain have mercy on your hard drive

It's just pretentious shit, as "deep" as evangelion. People likes to act like it is some show with hidden depths and awe inspiring lore but ultimately it's nothing of it. Classic konaka garbage