Is Children of the Whales the most visually impressive anime of the year?

Is Children of the Whales the most visually impressive anime of the year?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=zuW_qSQXFx0
m.youtube.com/watch?v=U5DSs-Qi5-o
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'm really liking it too. Can't wait to see what's in the mainland and the anime did a really good job of making us care about the islanders before the genocide started happening.

Genshi without a doubt best girl, possibly best girl of the year.

Is Genshi the girl that started singing out of nowhere in the middle of that battle? She’s my favorite.

Subs delayed by the way. I'm looking forward to see the after battle emotions and shit too.Probably there will be a short time skip to hasten up the ship repairs.

Her name is Ginshu, user.

Well think about it for a second.
It kind of goes against human nature to not care about the people of the mud whale.

I don’t know why but to me this seems like Japans response to Avatar. The style is kind of the same in a way but that might be why I like it so much.

I can’t beli it’s almost over. This feels like it’s the type of show that needs 300+ episodes.

Reminder official English release of volume one comes out this week. How many chapters is it so far?

It really does feel like stuff is just starting and everything was a really nice, slow born and build up prologue.

Ginshu-onee-sama and the gorgeous visuals are the reasons why I watch this.

I want onee-san to protect me...Then cuddle me.

I know. It’s such a cool world and it feels like there’s a lot to learn and the characters seem good and like they can develop a lot more. There also seems o be a political aspect to the show regarding their world and everybody else that doesn’t live on the mud whale which is interesting itself. It seems like the kind of show that could do very well in a long running with possible video games and spinoffs.

Ryoukai!

All I can hope is that the main character dies and Lykos becomes the star of the series.

Why is she so perfect?

The characters don't feel all that remarkable to me, but maybe they could be if, as you say, they gave this show at least another cour. But in the end, this is just an advertisement for the manga. Hopefully we'll have some nice threads once the official English volume is released.

Devotion and genki'ness.
What else could you desire in a girl?

My one problem with it is that the empire guys feel a little generic but I'm hoping they get humanized later on and we get a cake character who becomes a main.

The pacing for this show was bad. The direction in general, really, but most notable is the pacing. It's paced like a two cour show, but it isn't. That's why it feels like things are just beginning when we're already at the end. The impressive visuals went to waste with this one.

>we get a cake character who becomes a main
I like the way you think, user.

Such is life.

We basically need an Esdeath done right who wants to win Chakuro's heart which makes Ginshu jealous. Mud whale had so many delicious cakes but it's a shame most of them are dead now.

Only the first two episodes were "visually impressive".

Lykos is so pretty.

Fuck yes we do. This is such a good idea.

Don't think I have a single problem with the show so far.

World is interesting and established in the first couple of episodes Visuals are top notch with melancholy water painted like effects, especially for the sand. The music is some of the best this season especially for the montages of violence.

Only complaint is I wish it wasn't a netflix exclusive show.

It feels like i am watching walking dead each episode, since they are trying to shine some light on unimportant extras each time they are going to die in next 15 minutes or so.
Even their opponents behave like zombies, except they can be deliciously brown and can use tools.
The visuals are marvelous though.

Yes.

How popular is this in the western countries like America or is it have a niche following? I would be surprised if it was gaining traction. For some reason doesn't feel like the show that would become an instant over night success.

Not even close.

The backgrounds and OST are pretty nice, but the characters are wet paper towels. Can't even describe the MC beyond saying that he's a nice kid.

It probably should've focused on ouni, and even then it would only be a slight improvement.

Bahamut never got a second season.

It may because I had overly high hopes for this show after seeing the promo art and reading the premise but I can't remember the last time I was so disappointed by an anime.

My biggest complaint besides the awful pacing and flat characters is the fact that most of the world building is done through exposition instead of actually showing us the world. Every week I care less and less about watching the newest episode and the only reason I haven't dropped it yet is because I'm watching it with a group.

I wanted to like this show so badly. Please convince me that it's good.

I think you just aren’t a good fan. I love it. Maybe it’s time for you to get off the whale user.

Just drop it and here is a (you) for your troubles.

If you don't like it, don't force yourself, user. I myself do not like the pacing and some of the characters. With that said, the setting and art is enough to keep me watching.

Of the season, maybe. Shame about every other aspect of the show.

It’s not really a shame when it’s mostly amazing.

It might be amazing to you, user, but it does have some salient issues.

That’s an opinion.

Of course, but I think the general consensus is such; at least from what I've observed.

It’s all one guy saying that because he’s mad that this show happens to be a Netflix exclusive and he’s admitted it. He actually praised the show before finding that out.

Please tell me that you don’t actually pay for your entertainment.

Why would that even matter?

Too many people equate timid to no personality at all.

Some people have no concept of what it means to be quiet or shy.

Oh come on user.

Even though some of these characters are quiet or whatever it’s m kind of in character considering they’re tought to hold back their emotions since being born. They’re even scolded for crying at funerals. It’s not like they’re just emotionless for style like Rei from Evangelion.

s
While I've seen greater feats of faggotry, I don't think this is the case.

I know it sounds nutty but I assure you most of the posts badmouthing this anime are that one guy. At the very least 80% of them. I know because he’ll always argue the same points and call me the same names whenever I try and discuss the series with him.

Isn't it hard to appreciate from your phone though, OP?

Kinda like that guy who keeps claiming any hate towards the show is just a netflix hate bandwagon?

No? I watch it comfy in my bed.

Not even the best of the season

I basically agree with you. It's got really cool elements to it, and it's fucking beautiful to look at, but it takes forever for anything to happen, and even when things do happen I find it hard to care because I'm just not invested in the characters.

>you just aren’t a good fan
What the fuck does this mean? He just said he didn't like the show, so no shit he's not a fan.

Obviously you’re the same person trying to defend your position. As I said before maybe it’s time you cut your losses and jump whale.

You're scaring me, user.

Yes, everyone who dislikes a show is a samefag. Just like everyone who posts /u/ pairings is a samefag.

Mahoyome is better

How?

Has actual sakuga. Children only looks good but has shitty animation.

That title belongs to Gakuen Handsome.

I guess you just proved yourself wrong.

Have you seen the boob physics on the elf?

Whatever one has the better intro is the best.

Intros are not part of the show, so no.

That was last year.

So it was. I apologize.

They are

Not even best of the season, Mahoutsukai no Yome has to take that.

How?

Having good animation in the show is more important than in the intro. Pretty much the reason Mahoyome >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Children of the Whales

m.youtube.com/watch?v=zuW_qSQXFx0
The intro to Magus bride is a good representation of the overall quality. A lot of completely average animation and visuals with bursts of very good animation.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=U5DSs-Qi5-o
On the other hand this is a good representation of Whales. The visuals are always amazing and the animation is consistent. You can pauses at about any point and have what looks like a painting.

Shuan is such a badass. Easily my favorite charcter.

Eyepatch? Edgy guy but he delivers.Maybe this attack make him less autistic later.

How the hell is he autistic? He’s literally just a cool guy.

To be fair, he could care a little bit about his now dead wife.

I would get if you said Ouni is kind of autistic but Shuan? That makes no sense.

His scene with his wife had some autism and edge combine, he might just be awkward.So dont take my autism comment literally.

Ginshu.

He obviously just doesn’t give a shit. You could maybe get away with calling the guy edgy but certainly not autistic. He’s not like Rei Ayanami or something.

>People actually watching notShinsekai Yori

The plot is a lot weaker to be quite honest.

Pretty good anime, i enjoy it.

Ginshu!

I don’t get the awkward part. He’s actually charismatic and easygoing while being charming in conversation most of the time. Just because he’s a dick to his wife doesn’t equal autism. Just say he’s edgy.

What do you mean by impressive?
It is fairly good traditional 2D with above average music, but now I'm profoundly impressed with Houseki no Kuni

Chucki!

Maybe you should actually watch this anime.

Autism has lost its meaning long ago. Nowadays It's just world fluff. Don't look too much into it.

Nah, I'll stick calling him an edgy autist for now.

It just subliminally puts the wrong image into heads when they use the wrong words. Shuan shouldn’t be associated with being autistic.

He’s not an autist though. Think of Nagato from Haruhi. That’s more like an autist.

Shaun was a bit rude to his wife but that’s because he’s just given up on the world. It’s not like he was a dick to her and then wondered why she was sad. He knew he was being a dick and just didn’t care. He’s just tired of the world and his sheltered life. That’s why he was so happy to fight Ouni because competition was somethig different. Of course he might say something a little bit testy when everybody is about to die anyways and there’s nothing that can really be done except hope for a miracle. He still didn’t spaz out and he did his job and protected the guy so it’s sort of whatever. He’s just a bit rude.

Obviously his wife wouldn’t stay with him if he was like that all the time. It’s pretty clear he was being the way he was because of the circumstance. If he was always like that his wife would have been surprised.

I agree with you, but the battle's already been decided. Don't waste your energy.

She obviously likes being treated like shit. Or she fell for his cool eye patch. Or he was not always like this, since he also voluntarily married her for some reason.

At this rate autism is going to be considered cool.

She was surprised when he said that to her because it’s out of the ordinary. He only acted like that because of the situation.

I’m pretty sure Shuan was thinking something along the lines of “well everyone is going to die so fuck it” at that point.

As long as Sup Forums is never considered "cool," it'll be fine.

Is the manga good? I might buy it.

Yes.