/cath/ - Catholic General

How's your Lent going, user?

Attached: 1200px-Cartuja_de_Moraflores_(Burgos)_-_Retablo_mayor_y_tumba_de_Juan_II.jpg (1200x1600, 568K)

Other urls found in this thread:

streamable.com/8kjm5
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL13eE2x3qhPmDJCPm9F2cjckCUdUSubU1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

badly, the devil still has a firm grip on me via vices

streamable.com/8kjm5

Attached: Change.jpg (1920x1066, 682K)

Bad, I need more prayer time.

catholicism is blasphemy
saged

I'll say a prayer for you user

same here! It's the effort though, despite all the endless failures! chin up user, keep trying!

Attached: 1517835170845.jpg (736x980, 110K)

These are Sup Forums heritage threads
Dont ever stop making them

>Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image
Funny how the roman catholic church abbreviates that one right out of the ten commandments.

I'm remembering not to eat meat on Fridays, but I keep forgetting to limit the meal size.

Lent was over on Palm Sunday.

what the fuck is Lent

Better?

Attached: la.jpg (800x600, 74K)

they also changed the sabbath, catholics are just pagans who don't know any better

Something the pagans made up

My initial goal was to give up booze and fast food. I've definitely been drinking less, but was not able to give it up completely. With giving up fast food, I've managed to avoid the major players (McDonald's, Taco Bell, etc.), but still go out of convenience (places like Popeye's or El Pollo Loco). I actually starting going to church again after years of not going, even got involved with my Uni's Catholic Club, reconnecting with my faith has been the greatest victory this lent.

That commandment comes from the Old Testament, pre-Incarnation. God had not yet revealed himself in the flesh (the Son) therefore any depiction at that time was deemed "heretical" for lack of a better term. The reasoning for this condemnation is simple: The Father has no form or shape and therefore depiction of the Father is impossible.

That is why Christians depict the incarnation and the events surrounding it. This was the only time where God was given defined form and shape.

They are actually breaking all 4 the latin vulgate is the corrupted word and counts as blasphemy his name

Titus 2:5 | View whole chapter | See verse in context
To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.

1 Timothy 6:1 | View whole chapter | See verse in context
Let as many servants as are under the yoke count their own masters worthy of all honour, that the name of God and his doctrine be not blasphemed.

when you decide not to do something, what makes you do it anyway? trying to understand, when i decide not to do something i just don't do it. what makes you go to popeye's when you have consciously decided to give up fast food?

...the latin vulgate is the corrupted word? what makes you say this?

Because all the corruption came from rome the latin vulgate 600 years after christ

>therefore any depiction at that time was deemed "heretical" for lack of a better term
No, God himself commands craven images to be created in the Old Testament (for example, the Temple). The commandment concerns objects of pagan worship and idolatry, by definition images created for the worship of God aren't "graven images" in this sense.

so do you think jerome was corrupted? by whom?

I think it really comes down to a lack of self discipline. I could cook at home, but eating out is just easier. I think it's also that deciding not to do something that has become a habit can be tough. I used to eat fast food for at least one meal about five days of a week, trying to make it zero means breaking that habit.

Everything rome did corrupted christianity . God wrote scripture in greek to just do it away after 600 years ? Question is did he fix his mistake with english or is that just another trick of the devil

>grav·en im·age
>noun
>a carved idol or representation of a god used as an object of worship.
There's a difference between creating artwork, statues, etc. that glorify God and actually worshipping the images themselves.

Semana Santa guys!!! We can do it!

St. Jerome based his translation on the original Hebrew and Greek. The Vulgate was produced in the 4th century, not the 7th.

So do you believe translation to be a corruption of the Word? Or just the Vulgate? I work on studying Jerome's translations, and think he did a very good and skillful job. I'm not sure where you think the corruption is?

When you use a image in a religious matter it becomes graven , thus the catholic statues are graven images because they are used religious

i hope you have your man made dictionary with you on judgement day , that would explain everything to god

Yep, it is known.
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL13eE2x3qhPmDJCPm9F2cjckCUdUSubU1

I havent read the vulgate so i cannot say why its not goodall i know is that god calls the vulgate blasphemous , the modern versions came from it and those are corrupted for sure

god intended greek for 400 years that is even worse

where does god call the vulgate blasphemous? also it depends on the 'modern' version which bible they translate from

Pretty good thanks user, I am helping my grandma make some pudding.

Second Temple Judaism had sacred images. The Church continued to use sacred images throughout its entire history (excepting the periods of iconoclasm that existed in the Eastern Church before the iconoclasts were eventually defeted). Then in the 1500s Protestants decide that sacred art is bad (except sometimes when it isn't) before most of them (other than Reformed Churches) re-acquaint themselves with sacred images. It's a silly position to hold based off of a faulty, ahistorical interpretation.

>where does god call the vulgate blasphemous

Ask him and you will receive its literally in the bible

If you wanna die like a jew then die like a jew

which bible?

Does the Catholic Church even exist anymore? Seems like even the priests and bishops don't give a shit about their own doctrine and just do whatever they want. I read a story recently about some Italian priest who said during a service that he was deleting the Nicene Creed from the mass because he doesn't believe in it anymore, and the people in the pews just giggled and he wasn't disciplined or reprimanded by the church hierarchy in any way. Also Pope Francis appears to be a defacto Protestant. I don't know how any normal person can possibly see Catholicism as anything but a joke these days.

That doesnt really matter the message is stil there , or not let me check

humz the keyword is scorched here niv you will never find the truth

New International Version
They were seared by the intense heat and they cursed the name of God, who had control over these plagues, but they refused to repent and glorify him.

New Living Translation
Everyone was burned by this blast of heat, and they cursed the name of God, who had control over all these plagues. They did not repent of their sins and turn to God and give him glory.

English Standard Version
They were scorched by the fierce heat, and they cursed the name of God who had power over these plagues. They did not repent and give him glory.

Berean Study Bible
And the people were scorched by intense heat, and they cursed the name of God, who had authority over these plagues; yet they did not repent and give Him glory.

Berean Literal Bible
And the men were scorched with great heat, and they blasphemed the name of God, the One having authority over these plagues; and they did not repent to give Him glory.

New American Standard Bible
Men were scorched with fierce heat; and they blasphemed the name of God who has the power over these plagues, and they did not repent so as to give Him glory.

King James Bible
And men were scorched with great heat, and blasphemed the name of God, which hath power over these plagues: and they repented not to give him glory.

Catholicism, actually all Christianity in general planted the seeds to its own destruction and has been dead for some time. Only the power of symbols like Christ endure and that is what is important.

Most translations (even most Catholic bibles) today aren't directly based upon the Vulgate anyway. The Vulgate is still the official translation of the Latin Church, though.

I've been struggling with some of the clergy in the city. I normally go to service in a town church, where the priest is really good, but I am going to be baptised in the city as the town falls into the city diocese so I go to RCIA there. They have 2 really good priests, and 2 are awful. One of them has a very thick accent it is difficult to understand, and he rambles about irrelevant things. The other I feel takes things too lightly. He's said some things I think might be blasphemous, and he didn't help an old man in need after the old man's wife died (my friends and I looked after the old man and support him, he's our friend now). I'm going to be baptised soon, and I feel anxious that is at the hands of priests that I often feel are lacking.

>Does the Catholic Church even exist anymore? Seems like even the priests and bishops don't give a shit about their own doctrine and just do whatever they want.
Find better priests, younger priests are more conservative and Orthodox than boomer priests who grew up in the 60s. Catholicism worldwide is alive and well.

Another example of not being able to solve the riddle with corrupt bibles , keyword is both. its like having a treasure map with the x missing

New International Version
The second beast was given power to give breath to the image of the first beast, so that the image could speak and cause all who refused to worship the image to be killed.

New Living Translation
He was then permitted to give life to this statue so that it could speak. Then the statue of the beast commanded that anyone refusing to worship it must die.

English Standard Version
And it was allowed to give breath to the image of the beast, so that the image of the beast might even speak and might cause those who would not worship the image of the beast to be slain.

Berean Study Bible
The second beast was permitted to give breath to the image of the first beast, so that the image would also speak and cause all who refused to worship it to be killed.

Berean Literal Bible
And there was given to it to give breath to the image of the beast, so that image of the beast also should speak, and should cause that as many as would not worship the image of the beast would be killed.

New American Standard Bible
And it was given to him to give breath to the image of the beast, so that the image of the beast would even speak and cause as many as do not worship the image of the beast to be killed.

King James Bible
And he had power to give life unto the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak, and cause that as many as would not worship the image of the beast should be killed.

Would a Catholic priest baptize someone who's technically nondemoninational and exploring the faith and denominations at large?

Just baptize your self

bad advice
no

Take this shit to You nigger lovers don't belong here.

>tfw we will preserve your culture and thrive thanks to our faith in god

Attached: tfw mexican.png (702x395, 140K)

haters gonna hate

Attached: catholic pepe.png (499x499, 211K)

stay mad faithlets

Attached: 20131118cnsbr2606-1024x681.jpg (1024x681, 200K)

I can't stop masturbating.

Attached: 143112543941s.jpg (250x169, 11K)

Bumping for my Catholic brothers!

Attached: 24700AU.jpg (585x700, 51K)