Watch raws then.

LOVE YOU

i don't speak japanese

>characters says last name
>subs say first name

>character is called Rola
>subs say Laura

Then start.

how desu. also this may be retarded but do i have to learn the thousands of kanji to understand what people are saying?

You learn hiragana+katakana, then move on to learning vocabulary with kanji. And don't forget practicing grammar.
>do i have to learn the thousands of kanji to understand what people are saying?
Maybe not literal thousands, but you need to learn a big chunk of them.

ok what are good textbooks for grammar that i can just grab a pdf of online

>audio shows the character calling their dear friend by their first name for the first time, deepening their relationship
>subs has the character calling the other by a shitty nickname instead
Recent example that comes to mind is the Danganronpa V3 localization.

Being able to understand a language is much easier than learning to read or write it

Fuck don't remind me. I started playing this and it triggers my autism.

>subs don't have honorifics
Or worse
>"localized" honorifics (Miss, Mr, etc)

I can't help out much on that front, check djtguide.neocities.org/guide.html and docs.google.com/document/d/15uvv72eVFBtcOlfHaHUfT_HhZsgWxd7VjT9u-zVSwdw/pub for more info.

When they do that it feels like its being censored.

>Henshin!
>Subs say "it's morphing time"
Dropped like it was on fire.

>subs say "Laura"
>I know her name is 桜庭ローラ
Why?

>Ittadakimasu
>RUB A DUB DUB, TIME FOR SOME GRUB

>oishii
>IT'S LIKE A PARTY IN MY MOUTH

>Character says Nii-san
>Subs say Diamond
I know what you mean user.

>character says "x-chan"
>subs make up a nickname for the character

>nii-chan
>Bubby
>nee-chan
>Sissy
Fuck RE Zero.

That's probably one of the least bad.

You have ears, the subs don't matter for shit like that.

What's the big deal?
Children on Japan call adults they don't know as "Onee-chan" all the time.
Isn't a term for literal translation.

So why bother? You clearly don't know what you're saying.

It's one of the worst.

>AYO BIG SIS

>Ittadakimasu
>through the dark lord, amen

This is Aniplex's US department thinking they are being "accessible" when it's only weebs buying their shit in the first place.

Also, reversed names on the subs. Holy fucking yuck.

>Disliking "Maki-Roll"
It's infinitely cuter and makes more sense in english. If you're going to complain about DRV3s localisation there's a million other more valid things to pick out, like how the writers wrote "Cuz" instead of "Because" every single time.

ITT: People who don't speak Japanese nor have ever worked on translating something professionally critize perfectly fine translations of work because they're not "weeaboo" enough for them.

We would have made fun of this sort of shit years ago, what happened?

Constanze is so cute.

>inb4 herkz makes screenshots of this thread and posts them on twitter

I would learn japanese but then I remember kanji exist and what people say about memorizing it and I stop thinking about it.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if she starts these threads for that purpose. I wish there was more of a happy medium between "just leave all the honorfics in like a total weeaboo faggot" and "4kids tier localisation". Most translators I follow tend to be on either end of the extremes.

>she

What the fuck is going on here?!
Go fuck yourselves.

>Characters name is FIRST NAME LAST NAME
>Character calls them LAST NAME- SAN
>it's just translated as their first name.

alternatively
>character calls them something endearing like Oyaji or something
>translated as just the character's first name

Include me in the cap, herkz

>ローラ
But the transliteration of that IS Laura?

Friendly reminder that herkz did nothing wrong.

Would it be possible to learn to speak nip but not read or write it?

Go home herkz, no one buys it here.

forgot to include you in

ラウラ is definitely Laura (or rather, Laura is practically always ラウラ when coming from anywhere but America), ローラ can be Lola, Rola, or Lohra too.

Being a Canadian hoser I usually hear Laura pronounced more like ラッラ or ロラ for whatever god forsaken reason anyways.

LOVE YOU

Time to learn moon runes

The other way around is much worse

Learn moon runes then. If you think that's annoying, just wait until you see all the extra embellishments put in by translators once you get good at Nihongo.

You've gotta do some embellishment otherwise you get shit. But then again do too much, and you still get shit. There's a happy medium and no one seems to hit that mark.

Why don't you want honorifics?

Kill yourself herkz

>mysterious character's name isn't revelead because PLOT TWIST
>subs say its name

>(You)

Not really. Japanese as a language doesn't really have the redundancy and embellishments of English. If a story makes sense in Japanese without things being added or lost in translation then it doesn't need extra additions to still be good in English.

Admittedly subtitles would be incredibly boring without them sometimes because of the usual simplistic and context sensitive nature of Japanese. The solution to that is again, to just learn Japanese yourself.

I must admit, I hate this because I get confused on what their actual name orders are.

In Japan and Korea we use our last name first when saying someone's whole name, and in formal/respectful situations or if you don't know them well, aka, you're not on a first name basis.

More or less not too different from how you refer to people in higher positions as "mister/ms/title, last name".

In casual or friendly conversation you use the first name.

Subtitles mixing the names up can be pretty bad because it removes a lot of context and emphasis on using someone's surname or first name.

So in Sakurako's case here, her name is Omuro, Sakurako. If you didn't know each other well and or you were being polite and you were talking about her, you'd call her Omuro-san. If you were friends and talking to her you'd call her Sakurako or Sakurako-chan. If you were trying to get her attention in a crowd or something you'd say Omuro Sakurako. If you were a teacher and she was in your classroom you'd just say Omuro, unless someone had the same name or she had family in the room, then you'd use her full name.

tl;dr if they're friends and talking to each other whatever they call each other is probably their first name

>Character says Kibou ou - HOPE!
>Subs say Utopia instead
Nigger I just heard you say hope in english. There's no excuse for this shit.

Yes, I know all this. The subs flipping them just gets a little confusing sometimes.

This happened with Madoka Magica. Thankfully based tri4 actually finished it before disappearing forever.

>subs say Big Bro
>not even related

otome is a LITERAL thief

>I hate this shit.
Yet not enough to learn Japanese huh?

The problem there is words don't necessarily map 100% to other languages. Hai doesn't actually mean yes. It's close, but the usage can be very different. For example, if you were to ask a shop keeper if they ran out of an item, the answer in english would be No, we're out. Japanese would use hai there. It's more like that's right than yes in that usage. And this is hai and yes, very simple words in each language. With other words things get even worse. So it is absolutely necessary to take some license with what's being said, otherwise a phrase that makes perfect sense in Japanese won't in English. Then you add slang into the mix and it gets even more complicated. Translation is a skill that's much more involved than "I know these two languages."

I think I explained that difference wrong. But I had 4 hours of sleep so whatever, you should still get my point.

I don't want to spend 4 years of my life learning a dying language so that some subtitles don't annoy me slightly.
I think that's pretty reasonable.

>character makes a noise
>gets translated as a word
Do they assume we're autistic or something?

Well it's a safe assumption to make.

>character speak in japanese
>subtitles are in english

>dying language
Would probably sound more convincing if you skipped that. Just makes it even more obvious that you're making up excuses to justify your own laziness. You're getting the subtitles you deserve.

>user posts
>he's a faggot