Are translators notes ever acceptable in anime?

Are translators notes ever acceptable in anime?

What are the best ones you've seen?

This was translated by someone whose mother tongue calls a recorder "flute". I have seen the word recorder confuse several europeans.

That's understandable enough.

Of course. It confused me as well, I was calling it a block flute for a long time.

>Are translators notes ever acceptable in anime?
Yes. Sometimes there are things lost in translation, and notes are a good way to point it out. I dislike translating jokes or cultural nuances, just explain it and I get to laugh the next time I see a similar joke

>best one
"TL: Chinchin means boy's penis" in Boku no Pico.

>Are translators notes ever acceptable in anime?
Yes. When they aren't absolutely retarded even the funny ones are acceptable.

My favourite

Japanese puns should generally get a note. Localizing it is fucking stupid. You're literally rewriting the script.

But then what is a girl’s penis?

Erect clitoris.

Of course. Depends on the time and place though. Trivia should go either before or after the episode while puns should be in scene.

Only when formatted properly so you can read them easily.

Only if something really unique for the japanese culture that is not widely known among anime fans is mentioned. Explained jokes are very rarely funny so it's usually better to translate them even if you have to be a bit liberal. Only if it's not at all possible, like when they're based on the shape of a Kanji or something, is a TN adequate.

>TN

Translator notes are used when the translators don't know how to do their job properly and need to give extra explanation

I rather have them explain the joke in a TL note than have them put in some random joke because they can't translate the Japanese pun.

really made him think

>He was a mean guy

Translation notes are good, if they are used for explication.
On the other hand a translator shouldn't use T/Ns for jokes, I watch the anime for the anime and not the jokes of the translator.

Honestly, I see no issue with using a bit T/N in this situation.
This is the end of the preview for the next episode.
Additonal information for the watchers, might help them to better understand next episode.

*using a long T/N

As you should. Are you complaining when a pun is localized when you're watching a live action movie dubbed?

if u dont like transdlater notes u probably are a cartel faggit!!! xDDD fuckin NEWFAGS

what release is this so that I know to avoid it when I watch this show?

Why would you watch anything dubbed.

Even in a professional translation, if it were up to me, there would be translation notes for puns.

A joke translated with a TL note is never funny (in my experience), and is therefore a total failure of a translation. The Japanese scriptwriter's intent was to be funny and the translator has to replicate that intent as best as possible.

They can be good.

It can still be funny, but it loses a lot on the delivery. The thing is, a localization is probably gonna be even less funny and it's just gonna make you wonder "what was the actual joke here?".

I talked about the translator inserting his own jokes as T/Ns, and not using T/Ns to explain jokes that are in the original. An example of this would be Death Toll with Satanophany.

>A joke translated with a TL note is never funny (in my experience), and is therefore a total failure of a translation.
I completly disagree with this, the joke should be as close to the original as possible, and use an T/N for explication purposes if necessary.

>The Japanese scriptwriter's intent was to be funny and the translator has to replicate that intent as best as possible.
Translators often change the topic of the joke when trying to replicate what they interpretate as the intent of the writer, causing the visuals to not match with the joke.
Also translators often suck at writing. The end result is a boring joke that is removed from the original and doesn't match the intent of the author.

What. You mean you don't?

Why haven't they fixed this shit yet?

>watching anything dubbed in anything other than it's orignal language
>supports localization which tries to strip the work of it's culture
I am always surprised by how often Americans support localization, it's as if they're fearing different cultures.

>I have seen the word recorder confuse several europeans.
What kind of a statement is that. There are a shitton of languages in Europe.

No, pole, you are not white.
No, italian, you are med, not white.
No, east 'europe', you are not european nor white.

>implying I'm a burger
>implying I don't watch and read everything I can in its original language
Sometimes you just can't because RL is a bitch.
>supports localization
Yeah I support good localization because I'm not a retarded piece of shit who believe the world revolves around me.
>which tries to strip the work of it's culture
I never said I supported 4kids-tier localization though?

A recorder is a flute though.

user, localization is defined as changing a work to fit a certain target audience,
The process is also known as internationalization & localization, first the work is stripped of it's culture (internationalization) and then it is edited to fit the target audience (localization).
Localization does not equal translation.

>Sometimes you just can't because RL is a bitch
I understand this, I myself didn't have time to start learning Nip until now.

>implying I'm a burger
I apologize about this, but your opinion is something which I see primarly in American sections of the internet.

t. yankee boy 1/64th swiss

That T/N is fucking garbage
if you really need something it should just be
"T/N Benkei was a japanese mythological figure" if the viewers need more info they can just go read the same wikipedia article you copy-pasted from

Localization is the most retarded thing, I don't know why anybody would want to view a butchered version of a work.