So this could happen right? At the right speed and angle

So this could happen right? At the right speed and angle.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XLWzH_1eZsc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

No, the brittle Katana made out of folded pig iron would shatter against superior European steel

Only if its folded over thousand times

Yeah sure. Assume the proper stance first, and then take a deep breath. It helps to yell out an attack name too, really gets the blood flowing.
t. have sliced through granite to cut trees in half

If the broadsword was made of layers of tin foil over a cardboard core mixed with some titanium and magnesium mixed in to make the sparks - plausible

also why didn't you post the gif?

Only if the katana wielder apologizes to his master that he must go all out

I don't remember it going quite like this.

Not really.

I'm not /k/, but I like to think I know a bit about swords. European stuff is just better.

Steel can't cut steel.

Depends on how skilled the swordsmith is. Japanese smiths had to hone their craft due to the lack of materials, this led to higher quality wepons. European smiths just poured some hot metal into a mold

the reverse is likely true
Europeans had better steel higher chance of a better proper steal sword. Meaning in a regular encounter euro's just had better swords.

Not to mention the armour was better

Nah you're wrong, only movies do that.

Steel can cut iron, or softer steel.
However just swinging it would just blunt the softer steel sword.
You could make a steel saw that cuts through steel.

>superior European steel
that only a handful of ever lasted into this day and age because of heavy corrosion. Meanwhile nips have used katanas that are still in mint condition

>436 replies and 168 images omitted. Click here to view.

Do saws even count as cutting? You're technically just scraping off material really quickly until you have a hole in your piece of steel.

G L O R I O U S N I P P O N S T E E L

>European smiths just poured some hot metal into a mold
Jesus, how little can you know?

I saw that.

Does cutting even count as cutting? You're technically just scarping off material until there are two smaller pieces that material.

not really, except if one steel is significantly tougher than the other. Which is only possible to accomplish if one is made shittier and with more impurities than any decent swordsmith would have the nerve to make. Also, using speed and angle to cut tough materials can not make a blade tougher than it should be from a metallurgic point of view.

Stupid phone poster

Of course this is going to happen, what the fuck?

I don't know what you're on about.

Probably because Euro swords were used in battle while Katanas were fashion accessories

Yes if one of the swords is a lightsaber and the other is made out of cardboard.

source on that claim?

apparently katanas were used more on civilians than anything else

You mean Japan had worst weapon than south east Asia?? South east asian and African would had shittier iron and weapon. And how about the Koreans and Chinese maggots who got gibbed by this shitty metal??did they had fragile bone??

they really are the perfect weapon if you wanna make a sport of cutting down unarmored peasants from horseback

that's a longsword on a longsword.

These were some good threads.

What triggers me the most is the dude using the tip of the katana to take the blow, that kinda of impact would break the blade in half at best, or break the katana faggot wrist at worst.

The girl would die in any case.

>anchored at both ends
Didn't cut shit. All he did was hit it hard enough the broadsword fractured on its own.

You mean medieval japanese had worst weapon than Southeast asian and African of medieval??than,how about the Chinese soldiers killed by this shitty weapon??If Japanese iron was shit,they couldnt make wooden building,coin,Statue and they couldint even Farm the rice(agricultural tools were metal)

This is now a sword aesthethics thread. Post swords you like.

I like axes

>The girl would die in any case.
Not before being raped.

Im very enraged by your ignorance and idiocy. I hope you get hit by a truck and isekai'd into a world where you constantly get raped by pig orcs.

Fuck that.

This is now an anime weapons thread. Post anime weapons you like.

Of course! It was a magic sword. Everything is explainable by magic.

Longinus sure had a dope lance. Did it look like this in the first place or only after he poked the son of god with it?

That's fine, axes are cool too.

The only good swords are at the end of 2m poles.

Yes, it could. But only if the katana is extremely sharp.

>fairly simplistic yet aesthetic design
>the bright wood of the handle
>the slight tilt of the axe head
I want to hotglue that axe.

A weapon means nothing without a warrior to wield it.

Based nippon steel folded over a thousand times.

Post battle cries

Did you pay attention?

>swords
>anything but glorified sidearm

East or West, doesn't matter.

Bows are the patrician ancient weapon. Take your shitty polearms, swords and axes somewhere else

>anything but glorified sidearm
What is the gladius

I miss Grimgar threads.

For some reason I just love the Kukri

Crossbows>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Bows

You mean the coward's weapon of choice

>sidearm

>European "steel"

Also remember not to apply too much right hand into the cut for proper tenouchi.
t. have cut a falling leaf in half and joined it again.

history museums
>use "superior" euro sword once and thats all you can get get out of before it rusts away
You act as if nobles on the european side were knee deep in blood and guts

Marathon was here; bows suck dicks.

its a shame his only weakness is an opponent that can avoid all his attacks by walking away while buddy takes 2 steps and suffers from exhaustion/ heat stroke

Luke uses enchanted swords, so it's entirely possible.

because one on one duels were the main military strategy of any era

So we're looking at actual warfare? Lemee get twenty peasants with slings and pokey sticks. Whoops, that armoured poof died even faster.

>he fell for the full plate is slow and hot meme

>throw molotov

NICE FORMATION FAGS

Post the webm

Full plate is unbearably hot, but not because of the plate, it's what's worn under

The folding (forging) was mainly to even out the distribution of carbon in the iron so there was no major critical weak point in the sword. Coincidentally the folding also removed carbon from the steal so it was necessary to use pig iron (iron with high levels of carbon) else if you would use European steal you would basically remove all carbon from the metal so when quenched you would just have a iron sword rather than a steal one

Why not just make a sword out of obsidian or diamond?

>Greek fire
FIFY, at least try to be somewhat historical accurate

Obligatory
youtube.com/watch?v=XLWzH_1eZsc

no that I think about that lack of no major critical weak point might be where the katana meme came from (and folding is the only way to get the wave pattern)

Anyone from /k/ who know a little bit about western style swords know if they where evenly distributed throughout or had some weaker areas that would be more pron to chipping?

Same reason you generally don't make weapons out of glass if you have other options.

Probably the point in the blade that got the least amount of the quench: towards the hilt.

>so it was necessary to use pig iron
No it fucking wasn't. They used it because that's all they had.

>what is a macahuitl
Swords need to bend and give in to impact so it doesn't get damaged. A blade made out of a crystal would just shatter when it hits some resistance. And good luck trying to find a big enough piece of obsidian or diamond to make a sword out of. Macahuitls were pretty much just big spiky clubs rather than swords.

Did this scene in the LN kill the whole series?

It would snap in half, not get sawed through like a piece of wood.

>limeybeige

>Meanwhile nips have used katanas that are still in mint condition
First of all, most of these weapons aren't nearly as old as the European swords you're referring to but in most cases early modern weapons (rather than medieval weapons).

The older ones of them are usually not weapons of war but weapons that were kept in temples or which belonged to princes. There are comparable weapons from Europe, e.g. swords used for coronations. Both in Japan and in Europe, these weapons were not simply left untouched but they were frequently re-polished, re-mounted, etc.

How is he supposed to avoid his attacks? This isn't Dark Souls. Weapons travel faster than people. Reality has no invincibility frames.

>How is he supposed to avoid his attacks?
Proper training of Ashi sabaki. It's nimble movement what gives the advantage to the Samurai.

In the beginning yes, but later when the option to get iron with less carbon probably threw trading, said steal with less carbon would of been weaker using the same forging techniques due to it removing most of the carbon in the steal

Again: swords move faster than people. If you are in range, then you will have to defend yourself with your weapon.

>Hurr, i don't know what Issoku ito no ma is
You'd get slice in either since you're too retarded to maintain the necessary distance to avoid a hit.

>the necessary distance to avoid a hit
The distance to avoid a hit is also the distance where you can't hit your opponent. Also, chances are your opponent has the reach advantage.

Not to mention if he's wearing maximilian plate like , then there is no part of his body that you can actually cut because he is completely covered in plate.

Moulded steel was fashioned by euros because of how often they went to war. You can make far more swords in less time if you use molds rather than hand-crafting each.

Definitely quantity over quality.

>Not to mention if he's wearing maximilian plate like , then there is no part of his body that you can actually cut because he is completely covered in plate.

Just chuck a molotov, dead armorfag right there

Pro-tip: this was never done because it doesn't work.

>Implying he has any advantage swinging around the oversised stick
The samurai has an advantage in mobility at any rate. A couple of blows to the head would be enough to disorient him and throw him off balance.

You really think a very long stick has any advantage over someone who can jump towards you and strike in half a second?

>Gladius
user that is literally what you would call a sidearm for the common legionary.

I wanted to reply to something but shit there's a lot of autism in this thread. Did anyone just tell op "No" so he can go back to his daily life?

>You really think a very long stick has any advantage over someone who can jump towards you and strike in half a second?
Yes.

>Wait for retarded stick to make a move
>Once he's started can't stop
>Fumikomi in and slice his head

>muh superior European steel folded over a thousand times

>Fumikomi in and get cut/stabbed
FTFY

Weapons move faster than people and you need to cross a greater distance than he does to cut/stab you because he uses the longer weapon.