youtube.com/watch?v=mb26KKvbW6w
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U2
nyaa.si/view/249262
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

How would you translate it?

Good grief

>character says "hai"
>subs say "alright let's give it a shot"

Doesn't the meaning change slightly depending on context? Also, some episodes actually do translate it as "good grief". Like this youtube.com/watch?v=mb26KKvbW6w

People who do this should be eligible for death penalty

Geez louise

what a pain

>omae wa mou shindeiru
>translates it as “you just died”

>they say ching chong six feet long
>I kind of hear they are saying things in english I see in the subs but with their original voices so zero jap learning

>ビッチ
>translated as bitch

Rikaichan is wrong on this one by the way.
In Japanese that word exclusively means slut, not bitch.

>rub a dub dub, thanks for the grub

Why is the figure on the left about honorifics if this thread has nothing to do with them? Why is the graph on the right specifically about Japanese and not languages in general?
I wish there was a chart to ridicule stupid people who use stupid charts to get their pointless position across.

>character says "stand"
>subs say "fursona"

why the fuck did they dub Ora?

Probably because of voice actor payment or something. If they didn't dub it, they would probably have to pay Ono because of the "ora"s.

i look frown upon the current events that are unfolding in my presence as they cause me an amount of discomfort that one may consider significant

Yare yare daze

What exactly makes "Gimme a break" a bad translation? Sure it could also be translated as "good grief" or something, but those are pretty much synonymous. Besides, I hear people say "gimme a break" a lot more than "good grief" irl, so to me it feels like a much more natural way to translate it.

Consistency.

Yes. How would you translate it?

Fuck this shit

That's when people have had enough and bail out. Jotaro still puts up with it. Congratulations, you're a shitty translator.

Yare yare daze

やれやれだぜ

uhhh, user-san, do you not wakaru what translation means desuka yone?

>omae wa mou shindeiru
>literally means "you're already dying"
>translates it as "you're already dead"

>mountstupid.jpg

>character says "chansu"
>the word chance is nowhere in the translation
>the word U2 is translated as boring or something
No idea what the deal is with the second one. Can anyone that knows Japanese explain?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U2

>your band will never be so bad that your band name is borrowed into Japanese to mean "boring"

Oh for fucks sake

>U2
>yuu tsuu
>Yuuu tsu
>ゆううつ
>憂鬱
There you go.

fuck sakes*, you eejit.
Could be worse. You could be Coldplay.

No, it's "for fucks sake"
For the sake of fuck
Whatever you believe it means is not what I mean when I say it

Jebus Christ

You're an absolute gobshite.

It's "fuck's sake." Where the hell did you learn English, user?

What I believe it means when you say it is what you mean when you say it, for fucks sake.

He's right. The meaning of words depends greatly on context and individual usage. And yare yare daze is used frequently enough that one should have a sense of what it means. It needs no direct translation if you look at the body and facial language of the person uttering it.

A translation would be an anti-translation, in that the non-verbal cues that give the phrase meaning would be mismatched with an attempt at a linguistic translation.

Like this but it would be ugly and awkward to translate it like that. Part of the meaning of phrases comes from their efficiency (or lack thereof) and timing.

Trying to pick out a parcel of a language game for an accurate "translation" is hard if you don't know the greater ecosystem that said game is taking place in. Hunger has a different meaning for a rich kid than it does a homeless kid than it does an adult running through the wilderness as a refugee.

"Gimme a break" isn't a terrible translation. But even terminology, like that, has different weight based on regional dialects of American English throughout the US or even workplace dialects.

EX: A sailor might just say "Fucking god dammit" whereas a Mormon docent might just say "Not this again".

The older I get, the more I realize how "hard" translation is.

Jeepers

Yare yare daze
(Translator's note: yare yare daze is a special phrase in the glorious Nipponese language with literally no English equivalent so I left it the same so as not to tarnish the creator's glorious vision. "Yare yare daze" is often used in the same way that one would use the phrase "give me a break".)

Well we don't really mean "for the sake of fuck". It's just a linguistic tool to express something like "resigned dismay" in an almost Pavlovian way where the intonation and efficiency of the word is more important than parsing out linguistic structure.

I say "Jesus Fucking Christ" but I don't really think of an image or something. It's just an intonation that allows one to extend or reduce the timing of "fucking" in order to give more/less magnitude to the relevant situation.

shit, fuck

fer crying out loud!

>And yare yare daze is used frequently enough that one should have a sense of what it means
This is true, but I don't think that's a valid excuse for not translating it. I think with phrases like that, a translation should give at least a general idea of what the phrase means, and most viewers will be able to pick up on the more subtle nuances of what that specific phrase means as they see it used more. And I feel like phrases like "good grief" or "gimme a break" are close enough in meaning to "yare yare daze" to not be an anti-translation.

>character says Yes
>subs say Of course

>not using Coalgirls for CCS

Go home, britbong, you're drunk again.

>character says rice ball
>ends up with donut

"God fucking damn you shit ass fucking retarded double nigger(s), why do you always do the dumbest ass fucking shit?"

fuckity fucksticks.

>character: Itadakimasu
>subs: rubba dub dub thanks for the grub

I'd take that over "Through the Dark Lord. Amen." any day.

That is Coalgirls. Not sure why you think it's not. I did have to change the subtitle resolution since they were made for 720p videos and mine are 1080p. The karaoke subtitles were messed up even with the original resolution.

fucking jews

The Coalgirls version is 1080p and the subtitles fit perfectly, what are you taking about? Why is your screenshot 943p?

Holy guacamole

Pic related are the subs I have. Pretty sure I downloaded the subs from the Coalgirls site but maybe I didn't. I initially got the videos from Rutracker but the subtitles that came with it were Russian only so I just wanted to get the subtitles and for some reason I guess downloaded the 720p subs instead of the 1080p ones. My image isn't 1440x1080 because MPC's screenshot function doesn't capture subtitles so I just opened a video in windowed mode and did print screen.

Damn, that's a mess. Have this instead, should solve your problems. I can at least promise that the chan-su in the OP is subbed as chance.
nyaa.si/view/249262

The chansu thing wasn't about CCS, it's just something I've noticed from several subbed shows I've seen.

What a pain

Ah, my bad. Still, you should grab this one, it's much better quality and FLAC audio. If it's too big there's a 720p version.

Bloody hell

Gimme a break-daze

Zoinks

"Great."

based hairposter

I'm pretty sure the videos I have are the same ones they're using. They just don't have the subs embedded in them. 10-15 mbps, 1440x1080, FLAC audio, etc. I've been downloading them 10 episodes at a time though to save space so maybe I'll grab the ones with the embedded subs for the last 10 episodes.

In that case good luck, I think the batch has fixes and such though.

Notto disu shito agen

And actually the videos I have might be better quality. For example episode 59 in that pack you linked is 1023 MB (under 1GB) while the episode 59 I have is 1.9 GB. They're 10 bits too. I know that Coalgirls have released 10 bit rips but maybe the ones you linked aren't them? I don't know.

Mama Mia

I used to be anal about translation back when I knew very little of how does the Japanese language work and what do they mean when they utter the same stuff over and over again seemingly without rhyme or reason

now that I've learned just a bit more I appreciate all translatorial work regardless of how cheesy it may be as long as the meaning is more or less equivalent

I think it's just a more efficient encode. The majority of the episodes are still well over 1GB.

Is yours dual audio? This one isn't, which could account for some of the difference, especially given that it's FLAC.

gimme a fucking break Caesarino

fucken 'ell

I wouldn't.

Ganbatte my nakama! Fuck English.

Darn

>Fuck English.
>using romaji
This triggers me.
>頑張って俺の仲間!

wew lad

gosh darn it

Tfw all anime and most modern Japanese culture is heavily influenced by The Peanuts

Ay carunba

グッドグリーフ

Is the football Lucy's stand?

Amazing how this comic is still relevant even after fansubbing fucking died.

Ah fuck, I can't believe you've done this

Oh...la la...

Ai caramba

Ah Christ

Ai yi yi

Why the fuck is "the meaning depends on context" a reason to not translate something? Why shouldn't we expect the translator to discern the context and give a proper translation?

This is correct