What player and / or codecs do you use to watch anime, Sup Forums?

What player and / or codecs do you use to watch anime, Sup Forums?
I've been using MPV after a fresh windows install and wondering if there's something better currently.

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.glitchet.com/t/tutorial-make-video-glitch-art-how-to-datamosh-in-plain-english/36
mpv.io/manual/master/#interactive-control
forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=b86353c2393ae2b5878852ea6395eab1&p=1637684#post1637684
bugs.madshi.net/view.php?id=504).
mpv.io/manual/master/#screenshot
mpv.io/manual/master/#options-screenshot-template
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>I've been using MPV after a fresh windows install and wondering if there's something better currently.
MPV after a fresh GNU/Linux install.

wtf is a codecs? just use firefox

I'm a VLChad

As expected of neo-Sup Forums. Nuke this place.

Mpc-hc + madvr + SVP on a 100hz monitor

I still use KCP because it werks.
I'm too pleb for MPV's lack of interface

Back to Sup Forums with you, last time I saw this seemingly pasta thread it was fresh install and mpc.

How do people make these

I've been using mpv in Linux for several years and it works perfectly even in toasters.

What ever happened to MPC? I've been using it on and off for 8 years, and keep a spare VLC cause it just werks with everything.

we posting .conf files now?

geometry=105:96
keep-open=yes
alang=jpn
slang=eng,english
#no-border
autofit-larger=689x398
force-window
autofit=1080x720
stop-screensaver
no-window-dragging
screenshot-template=~/Pictures/%f%P

[extension.mp3]
keep-open=yes
autofit-larger=500x500
force-window
autofit=400x400
stop-screensaver

[extension.flac]
keep-open=yes
autofit-larger=500x500
force-window
autofit=400x400
stop-screensaver
no-window-dragging

[extension.mkv]
#geometry=31:547
#autofit-larger=831x831
#autofit=700x700
##Blue Drop stream
autofit=1080x720
autofit-larger=689x398
alang=jpn
slang=eng,english

[extension.webm]
#autofit-larger=831x831
#autofit=700x700
autofit=1080x720
autofit-larger=689x398
loop-file=inf
vo=xv
alang=jpn
slang=eng,english

[extension.mp4]
#autofit-larger=831x831
#autofit=700x700
autofit=1080x720
autofit-larger=689x398
alang=jpn
slang=eng,english

[extension.avi]
#autofit-larger=831x831
#autofit=700x700
autofit=1080x720
autofit-larger=689x398
alang=jpn
slang=eng,english

[extension.ts]
#autofit-larger=831x831
#autofit=700x700
autofit=1080x720
autofit-larger=689x398
alang=jpn
slang=eng,english

30 second explanation is that videos have keyframes and "predicted frames" that are mixes of new image data in some places and directions for how to move around the frame that came before (for motion)

when you either delete or move around keyframes, it does weird shit like this

the term is datamoshing btw, here's more forum.glitchet.com/t/tutorial-make-video-glitch-art-how-to-datamosh-in-plain-english/36

profile=gpu-hq
autofit=1280x720
fbo-format=rgba16hf
gpu-context=winvk
vd-lavc-dr=yes
gpu-api=vulkan
glsl-shader="C:\Program Files\mpv\shaders\FSRCNNX_x2_r2_16-0-2-2.glsl"
glsl-shader="C:\Program Files\mpv\shaders\SSimDownscaler.glsl"
cscale=ewa_lanczossharp
scale=ewa_lanczossharp
dscale=mitchell
ontop
deband=yes
deband-iterations=2
deband-range=12
deband-grain=0
hwdec=no
vd-lavc-threads=4
ad-lavc-threads=4
audio-channels=stereo
volume-max=100
volume=100
scaler-lut-size=10
spirv-compiler=shaderc
target-prim=bt.709
target-trc=srgb
ao=wasapi
audio-exclusive=yes
ytdl-format=bestvideo[height

MPV is just not there man, they keep lacking on a gui for a playlist
>all those redundant extension profiles

Mpv is currently the best player.
>gui
mpv * in command line in will add all files in path to a playlist. GUI for what, when the keyboard controls offer everything and more?

you can also get the autoload script

I use SMPlayer that is a fork of MPlayer and MPV, it works fine for me I've never tried tinkering with the advanced options, I've only changed the default skin so far

MPV and mpc-hc+madvr+svp

>fork
No, it's a bloated GUI frontend.

I use IINA

MPC-BE with madVR. Maybe one day I'll let the Sup Forums autists convince me to switch but right now I don't really care.

potplayer

I use mpv but in all honesty I haven't looked into customizing it really at all.
The UI is comfy and it feels like media looks better in its default state, though that might well just be placebo.

On Linux, SMPlayer wraps mpv in a GUI, but you have to go into the settings first to make sure it's using mpv and not the old MPlayer as a backend.

MPC-HC with madVR. mpv is too autistic to use and doesn't even have madVR so not an option for me.

what part of GUI did you not understand

They ceased development of it
Get with the times Grandpa

Is there a SMPlayer skin that doesn't look like shit?
Some of the darker themes look alright but some of the buttons are just ehhh

I just slapped the basic shit found in the manual and the Arch wiki. Looks tots fabulous. It was a little too grainy by default for live-action. I think it was the upscaling algo.

>I think it was the upscaling algo.

>needing a gui

>he says while using the psudo-gui

>Is there a SMPlayer skin that doesn't look like shit?

There is an MPC-style default skin also the "Papirus" and "Oxigen" icon sets don't look bad

I use mpv, it just werks and pretty much every aspect is configurable up to the dot. Can be set to auto open for every online video links too. Also the keyboard shortcuts are fantastic.

MPC is still the best. MPV is a hobbyist thing like Arch Linux.

The funny thing about that whole statement is that it's wrong. Mellorine is ice cream that has had vegetable or animal fat added to it. Ice cream can have as much butterfat as the manufacturer wants to put in it, although they seldom add very much, as butterfat is the most expensive portion of milk.

who /mpv * in the terminal/ here?

B-but that's what the manual tells me --scale does.

I don't think I had even heard of it before, just ice cream and frozen yogurt. Gelato too, only more recently.
I do live in a cave though.

It only scales the video if it's a lower size than your monitor resolution, if your live adaption is 1080p it won't use --scale.
deband-grain was probably the problem assuming you are using gpu-hq

Is your cave heated at least?

SMPlayer frontend, MPV under the hood. Sometimes I have to use MPC-HC when visiting the folks, but those times are few and short.

Yes, by this computer.

Right, I have 1440p monitor, so I toyed with the scaling first. It helped enough, but I hope you're right and deband-grain is the silver bullet. Thanks.

But mpv doesn't need a GUI. You set things once in the config file, and then learn keybinds: mpv.io/manual/master/#interactive-control

Sure, if that's how you want to roll go right ahead. I'll keep using SMPlayer because it provides some extra functionality that MPV doesn't have and I like the GUI to be there, even if I use hotkeys most of the time.

>it provides some extra functionality that MPV doesn't have
Like what? Keep in mind mpv is a CLI program and expects you to use it as such.

Recently played list, menus for track selection, graphical equalizers and more.

I can never remember hotkeys. Strange, because I have a great memory otherwise.

>graphical equalizers
Why on earth would you ever use this shit?

Does MPC +kawaii codec pak play movies and anime at 4K resolution?

>4k
>anime

I suck with command line bro. How do you get good?

why did you spoiler it?

Why do computerfags and geeks always make things unnecessarily complicated?

>We could add a GUI to mpv but we won't because it will make us look intelligent by making things more complicated than they have to be

mpv

It caters to my autism. Like writing a simple script to skip the first 45 seconds of DBS' dumb 'this is what happens on the episode you're about to watch'

>click file
>it opens in mpv
Wow so hard.

Because not using mpc with madVR is a shamefur dispray

If only that was the reason

What IS the reason?

They don't want to and don't know how to make a good one either

MPC-HC is abandonware. If you don't want to go the mpv route, I recommend PotPlayer. You can keep using madVR and LAV filters with it and it has more features than MPC-HC and even more GUI options for you GUI lovers to wank over.

GUI/frontend development is suffering.

Don't recommend Korean botnet.

The idea is you have a choice of different GUIs so you can pick which one you like. The default config file/hotkeys thing is more supposed to be a proof of concept than anything else, but neckbeards have gotten the strange idea in their heads that that's how it should be used.

What's the image for?

same

doesn't happen anymore unless your PC is a potato

>The default config file/hotkeys thing is more supposed to be a proof of concept than anything else
You're wrong. How do you think a gui frontend interacts with mpv/libmpv? That is in fact how is should be used, and it's trivial for any program that you use for extended periods of time to learn how it functions. If you just want to click away without knowing the first thing about video playback, just stick to streaming.

MPC-HC+madVR

>download MPV
>follow guides
>create config file
>still won't work

I love this player but fuck I'm retarded.

>VLC

>what is an API
You don't seriously think the frontends control mpv by sending it simulated X keyboard events, do you? This ain't Windows.

>DUDE LMAO JUST OPEN UP A NOTEPAD AND EDIT THE SETTINGS
>no gui to make life easier for everyone

yea nice player for spergs you mean

I'm using last MPC-HC release that still included ffdshow, with custom grain filter.
I tried mpv but it almost made me hate watching anime so I went back to what actually works out of the box, I couldn't even take a screenshot with the episode timestamp.

Smplayer requires the mpv binary, not libmpv at compilation time.

MPV is nice and simple. Setting up MPC-HC with MadVR gives you more resizing options but honestly it's a pain in the ass and not worth it.
As far as I know to get screenshots with subtitles in MPC-HC + MadVR + XySubfilter you STILL have to check "trade subtitle quality for performance" and zoom to 100% before taking the screenshot.
MPC-HC and MadVR STLL use the horrific directshow API which probably is ultimately responsible for this issue. If you're watching a 1080p video resized on a 4k monitor then XySubfilter provides subs rendered for the 4k stream but MPC-HC/MadVR is totally unable to ask for 1080p subs when you take a screenshot. Pathetic.
In contrast MPV just gives you 2 different hotkeys to take a shot with or without subtitles even though its default subtitle renderer works like XySubfilter and renders subs at your screen resolution.

>4k stream
*4k screen

>As far as I know to get screenshots with subtitles in MPC-HC + MadVR + XySubfilter you STILL have to check "trade subtitle quality for performance" and zoom to 100% before taking the screenshot.
Bullshit. I take screenshots regularly without needing to zoom anything.
Mpv doesn't even save the episode filename and timestamp in the screenshot filenames anyway, how many people post mpv screenshots on Sup Forums? almost nobody because it's bad, if you want to go find a scene you saw in a screenshot you're on your own.

> I take screenshots regularly without needing to zoom anything.
Are you playing the file at a zoomed resolution? For example playing a 720p file on a 1080p monitor. If you're playing at the same resolution as the video file to begin with it will just work.

And are you even using XySubfilter? Do you even know what XySubfilter is? Did you properly disable the native mpc-hc sub filter? I doubt it.

>Mpv doesn't even save the episode filename and timestamp in the screenshot filenames anyway, how many people post mpv screenshots on Sup Forums? almost nobody because it's bad, if you want to go find a scene you saw in a screenshot you're on your own.
This is total nonsense, it's configurable. I post mpv screens here all the time.
I put something in my config file like:
screenshot-template=~/animu_screenshots/%f_%P
Example of filename attached.

What are the hip young kids using these days instead of MPC?

I just use the last stable version of KCP and I don't have any problems.

See the screenshot or
forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=b86353c2393ae2b5878852ea6395eab1&p=1637684#post1637684
This was still the case when I used MadVR a few months ago. You probably don't use XySubfilter or have XySubfilter set to render to the video resolution (which means you're getting lower quality subs than MPV if upscaling a video)

garbage player.
fuck off.

Reinstalled windows a week ago and been using MPC-HC with VLC as backup in case something doesn't work

Do I even need codecs or other bullshit these days?

>what are dynamic libraries

>Bullshit. I take screenshots regularly without needing to zoom anything.
Okay, it turns out I was wrong. It was fixed a few months ago (). And I did say it was an issue when I checked a few months ago.
But it was a problem that was unfixed for YEARS so you're just admitting how much of a noob you are if you didn't know it was an issue for a long time.
I am glad it sounds like they finally fucking fixed it. I will probably use MadVR more because of it. But it's a real issue that the documentation is so poor it took me quite a bit of searching to find out if they had really fixed it and the first result was an Sup Forums thread.

And even after finally fixing this issue that had been in MadVR/XySubfilter since the beginning they introduced a new bug in subtitle positioning in screenshots that was caught by an user in the thread I linked (bugs.madshi.net/view.php?id=504). All of this has worked perfectly in MPV since the beginning.

>screenshot-template=~/animu_screenshots/%f_%P
Where did you even find about %f_%P?

>inb4 just read the X pages documentation user
I'm not going back to that cancer player even if you pay me... maybe if you make an updated release of bomi, I might give it a thought.

>have XySubfilter set to render to the video resolution (which means you're getting lower quality subs than MPV if upscaling a video)
Pic related.

>It was fixed a few months ago
I'm using v1.7.9 june 2015 release of MPC-HC by the way.

>Where did you even find about %f_%P?
In the mpv documentation which is really good.
>>inb4 just read the X pages documentation user
Just open the documentation and ctrl-f for "screenshot." There isn't even that much to look through. Or just google how to do it. Very easy and customizable. I can do it by the millisecond in mpv which means the filename is different for every single frame.
>Pic related.
I'm not sure if you're even using XySubfilter from that shot. The point of XySubfitler isn't rendering to double resolution it's rendering to the output resolution.
It's an acknowledged issue that finally got fixed.

>I'm using v1.7.9 june 2015 release of MPC-HC by the way.
It's not about the MPC-HC version it's about the MadVR version, duh. If you can't even understand that then it's not surprising you can't understand why you're not having the issue. Probably you're not using XySubfilter or you have both XySubfilter and mpc-hc's internal sub renderer running at the same time or something.

God tier MPC-HC

mpv.io/manual/master/#screenshot
See screenshot-template. You only have to scroll down a few lines. The horror.
Much better than needing to search through obscure doom9 forum posts for a workaround for an issue since at least 2013 that finally got fixed September 2017. The docs for MadVR suck in comparison. MPC-HC at least is documented well.

>Mpv doesn't even save the episode filename and timestamp in the screenshot filenames anyway, how many people post mpv screenshots on Sup Forums? almost nobody because it's bad, if you want to go find a scene you saw in a screenshot you're on your own.
We do post them, we just have the sense to add the following line to our configs

"screenshot-template=%f-%p"

mpv.io/manual/master/#options-screenshot-template

>Where did you even find about %f_%P?
You seem to think %f_%P is some obscure magic incantation rather than a meaningful, well documented template.
>%f
>Filename of the currently played video.
>%P
>Similar to %p, but extended with the playback time in milliseconds. It is formatted as "HH:MM:SS.mmm", with "mmm" being the millisecond part of the playback time.

Exactly, but I prefer %P because I can take more than one screenshot in a single second in case something interesting happens.