Director of Digimon S1: Episode 21 was a love story between the sibling...a subplot of sexual lust

From an interview with Hosoda Mamoru, director of Digimon S1 -

Interviewer: Let's move on from the movie and talk about Episode 21 of Digimon S1, which Hosoda san you personally directed (The episode where Tai came back to Earth.) The TV episode's setting and stuff is subtlely different from the OVA.

Hosoda: They are quite different (laugh). If we go further, episode 21 and the rest of the series are completely different. Also, the fairies wheel you saw in the windows was a mirage (laugh). To be frank, the wheel was put there to create an emotionally oppressive scene. But somehow the latter episodes continue to use it, and that's how everything turned out. But really, it's really strange to have a fairies wheels over there. So the 2nd season was based on the modified TV version settings. But......Episode 21 was actually Taichi's dream(laugh) or rather, it's an episode where from outside he peaks into a daydream....something like that. You can also see the love story between the sibling, that crosses the line of normal sibling's and into a subplot of sexual lust.

Interviewer: Is that so, maybe that's why their interaction felt somewhat enchanting. A flirtatious's enchanting or hypnotizing feeling...

Hosoda: A subtle sense of lewdness(laugh). Someone said "It's an episode with a certain smell". Such as when Kari leaned on Tai's back and said "No matter how one looks at me, one would know I am not just worried about my oni-san"...Well, adults who watched that scene would get it, but to kids, they would only think "what a caring little sister".

Interviewer: How Tai covered for Kari when she wetted her bed, that was also very abnormal. The way the voice actors speak and changed their tone were really strange.

Hosoda: Araki Kae (Kari's VA) very much realized the intention of the scenes. So she played her character that's unlike a normal little sister (laugh). To put things to an extreme, Episode 21 was a triangle love story between Koromon, Kari, and Tai.

Interviewer: In the tiring summer heat, Tai laid on the sofa...

Hosoda: But before that Tai had been the MC, yes? But he now has temporary returned to home, so he thought "it's nice to be home. Oh I have to do my summer homework." This is something of a battle that are shared between the everyday school kid Tai, and the Digimon hero Tai.

Interviewer: This episode has Tai in a mental battle, and Kari in hers'.

Hosoda: You want to know what's going on behind the scene? It was the war between Kari and Koromon. With Tai lying on the bed, Kari and Koromon eating a watermelon. Noticed that Kari did not take a single bite. It was akin to when the husband is away from home, the wife telling the mistress "could you leave him?" Or more exactly, "I already gave my share of watermelon to you, could you give me back my husband?" (laugh)

Interviewer: Now that you mentioned it, Kari's eyes did glimmered rather strangely then...

Hosoda: So you see, Kari was not just a cute little sister. She felt that something dangerous is nearing her brother, and wanted to pull him back. Not directly, but use all the feminine parts of her Grade 2 body and psych to take him back. An analogy would be, Kari is the 30-plus year old rightful wife, and Koromon is the 20-ish naive girl (laugh). Even though Kari was still young, but when an even younger girl showed Kari's husband her affection, Kari could not ignore it. So the situation is something like that. "You (Koromon) might have been in very good term with Tai in the Digial World, but ever since I was born, I have been alongside him for 8 years." Also, "I knew about you for a very long time already, and I know what sort of relationships you two are in".....So this is that sort of tangled up love story (laugh).

Interviewer: (laughed)

Hosoda: So, mid terms tend to let slip horrifying things. The dampness and heat would make men let lose something primate.

Interviewer: Maybe that's the real cause of that hypnotizing mood. By the way, did that episode had anything to do with episode 1? Tai's flashback in episode 1...

Hosoda: It disappeared. Which was why when Koromon showed up in episode 1 he was so confused. Maybe Tai thought that event was a dream. After 4 years, when the Grade 5 Tai remembered it. But Kari remembered it very well. She can even see them......Which is why she said "I can see clearly". It's not just because she has the special ability. No, it's for how she knows everything and closes in on her older brother. She is really a demonically seducing woman (laugh).

Everyone already knows that you dumbass.

don't call me a dumbass, buddy

Fake

Fake news.

no?

almost 10 months later user, even before the news, many believed that hikari and taichi was a thing.

I don't think it's really a thing even after the news. I feel like it's just a metaphorical framework, not literal

Post the Spanish dub. Hikari moans before Taichi leaves into the yellow light.
I know one of you degenerates have it.

liar

That episode was kino. Wish he had kept directing

Taichi is Meiko's future husband.

It's nice to be reminded.

Taichi is already taken

I really don't see it. There's nothing even remotely suggestive on that episode. Sounds like he's just trying to stir up shit.

Newfags need to die

This thread again?

THIS
I just watched the episode,cause of this thread, there's NOTHING sexually seggestive in their relationship

It's just misubderstood. Likely it wasn't meant that the episode itself was sexual, but that it in a sense runs parallel with a classical storyline that's usually sexual