How would you make a good anime series out of any Final Fantasy game? How would you adapt the story?

How would you make a good anime series out of any Final Fantasy game? How would you adapt the story?
It's surprising theis hasn't been an adaptation yet, seeing how the games lack any real gameplay and are mostly linear

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KecRj2TPgs4
youtube.com/watch?v=3DYxZCZc4AI
youtube.com/watch?v=3xqtQwC-hwM
vrt.be/vrtnws/nl/2017/12/13/-final-fantasy-xv--episode-ignis--heeft-opvallende-belgisch-tint/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You just need an experienced writer and make it happen in Ivalice because Ivalice is just better than every other FF universe.

Tactics Advance Isekai. Great deconstruction of the Isekai genre.

Cause they're shit. Adapting Sora/Ao/Zero no Kiseki would make far more sense.

The best FF by far (IX for the plebes) is also the most westernized one, so this doesn't really work

You mean the game set there or just the universe in itself?

FF8 by Millepensee.

Final Fantasy is trash and needs to stay dead.

Tifa being animated is always nice, but the retards at SE have been nerfing her after Ehrgeiz.

first drugs, lots and lots of drugs

also you should probably put it in fantasy or at least a science fantasy that leans heavily on the fantasy part (it's called final FANTASY for a reason keep hard science out).

Bahamut and Chocobos are a must so is Cid and his airships

Jojo it.
S1 is FF1/2. S2 is FF3, S3 is FF4 and so on with Dissidia being a movie

>saturday morning cartoon villains morph into generic demons
>matsunofags: "wow, so deep and philosophical, manlinefags btfo"

>IX
The best one is obviously V, you goon. Though it wouldn't really work as an anime unless you made it a super comfy adventure.
As for what game deserves an anime the most, I think it should either be VIII (if they fix the plot), VI, or IV. I would say VII, but the extended universe for that has retroactively almost ruined one of my favorite games.

youtube.com/watch?v=KecRj2TPgs4
Final Fantasy Type 0

hey Kefka's fight was one of the best in jrpg history

Final Fantasy V is the best for being the one with actually good gameplay so it might not be the one which makes the best anime.

>It's surprising theis hasn't been an adaptation yet, seeing how the games lack any real gameplay and are mostly linear
There's been a few.

Advent Children
Legend of the Crystals (wind crystal butt anime)
Spirits Within
Unlimited

None did so well but they can be fun.

Final Fantasy VII, 10 episode season ending with them leaving Midgar and season 2 never.

Video game adaptations almost never work and the stuff that was already made for FF (like Advent Children) were mediocre at best so it's better to just leave it.

This would be hilarious though, I can imagine the shitposting.

don't video games make a lot more profit? anime seems like a waste

just compare the amount of effort put into the naruto/db games to the respective garbage animes

anime is a shit worthless meme medium

I really wish FF type-0 could have made into anime that expand more of story, the plot itself is actually good but they do very poor job to explain it, the setting is already perfect fit for anime and lot of main girl character would make good fanservice too.

Squall is dead.

FFVI would be easiest.

FFVI isn't set in Ivalice. Ivalice are the Tactics games and FFXII.

>FFVI
My nigga, FFVI is a must

No

>namefag with xD in their name
Yeah how about you kys?

You can't jojo final fantasy, the protags are totally unrelated, and the storylines are too complex for it to function

9 has the best setting and cast of characters.
Hell, I wouldn't mind just an anime about the antics of the Tantalus Theater Troupe travelling around the world stealing stuff and kidnapping people.

Salamander was useless

This also,
there's a FFVII ova by Madhouse called Last Order tch, just like that annoying little brat which is a prequel to the main story taking place in Nibelheim reveling the whole incident.

As for which game I'd like to see animated:
>FFVI
>by Trigger or J.C. Staff
I need Kefka smug faces for my smugface collection.

Celes a best, A BEST.

None of them are based on existing games, but extrapolations of them

You forgot the best one.

Yeah?

It doesn't actually work. Despite your snipe at the series with the last line, Final Fantasy is mired in its gameplay with far less story than you think. So, so much of FF is wandering around dungeons slaying monsters just to get a small cutscene and access to the next dungeon until you finally get through 5-6 unrelated dungeons and get to do an actually story-related dungeon.
Trying to adapt with only story related things would make the whole thing very short. And what kind of anime is about a group of hobos killing critters in caves before fighting a particularly large critter at the end?
FF is very, very video gamey.

The best I think you could do is Dissidia, but Dissidia is nothing but a combat festival. They'd have to make new scenes of the cast bonding and living in World B.

I'm saying structurally, not make it Jojo you fucking moron.

How old are you, user?

God I love Kefka.
You could probably make a good story out of Tactics. The others would need a good butcher to cut through all the fat, and then you'd wind up with a product that the real fans don't want.

>Trying to adapt with only story related things would make the whole thing very short.
It wouldn't at all. You're completely missing the point.
The point of adapting an FF into an anime would be to cut out all the filler, ie. gameplay. You cut out all the leveling bullshit, fights against trash, long passages of just walking etc., and only leave actual conversations/moments between characters and bossfights.
Conversations between characters would become the bridge points between the fights, which would all be as flashy as a fight in AC was.
FF:AC showed that it works just fine. You might not like the story itself or anything, but it perfectly shows how you can cut out all the filler bullshit and have it be coherent.

But the structure is that, a big story where everything is related, each part is independent but depends on the other ones to get the full picture, FF games don't work like that and are too long to even try,

Both are still forgetting some

>King Slave
>Brotherhood Final Fantasy 15

Has anyone from Sup Forums ever gone to one of the FF concerts?

probably

Plenty old enough to know this goes back to the roots with FFI.
>Tactics
Could work, having many of the fights simply glossed over.
FFVII: Advent Children was a single movie, not an anime season. By "cutting out all the leveling bullshit, fight against trash, long passages of just walking etc." you are left with extremely little in most FF games. FFIV or FFX might be salvageable from that to some degree, but VI and VII wouldn't.

You know, FFX maybe could have enough noncombat to it to fill a one-cour anime. There's at least enough talking and filler that does not intrinsically need to be cut (BLITZBALL) and there's still a meaningful amount of fights to depict. But it'd still require a very good director to pace it out.

I want a Dragon Quest 4 anime

There's a danger with this kind of approach, it can quickly turn into, "Go to this location, get some plot, then go to the next location to get some more plot talked at you."
It's easy enough to get around this with competent writing, but it is an issue nonetheless.

Did that FF isekai release a second chapter that got translated yet? You just reminded me that it exists.

>The point of adapting an FF into an anime would be to cut out all the filler, ie. gameplay.
That's literally his point

But, I want a Xenogears anime!

7 is the only shounen enough, 8 has more politics than SnK, 9 is Disney. 4 could work in the 90's when medieval fantasy was cool, 6 idk maybe if they make everyone important to plot and not focus Terra only

>9 is Disney
Miyazaki could probably make a fun movie out of it.

youtube.com/watch?v=3DYxZCZc4AI
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!1111

>you are left with extremely little in most FF games
Not at all. Are you literally just counting the pre-rendered cutscenes here?
I'm talking about all the dialogue around cities. Shit like talking to Johnny in Costa Del Sol, or chit-chat between Biggs/Wedge/Jessie in Midgar, etc. Keep in mind that voiced dialogue will always take up more time than just reading plain text, so all of those moments that took about 30 seconds in-game could take up to 1-2 minutes in an anime. Pair that with the bossfights and you have more than enough material for a 1cour.

>but VI and VII wouldn't.
They absolutely would. There's a shitton of dialogue.

>FFVII: Advent Children was a single movie, not an anime season.
FF7:ACC had a runtime of 2h6m. That's basically 6 episodes of an anime, not counting OP/ED. Stack that twice and you got a full 1cour.

His is point is that it wouldn't work because no gameplay. My point is that it would work because gameplay is irrelevant.

VI is shit

>9 is Disney.
Child friendly genocide.

>FF7 gets animated
>Cloud wearing a dress

Who knew that there were trapfags even back in the 90's?

>It's surprising theis hasn't been an adaptation yet
What do you mean? A straight up adaptation of one of the games? Because there do exist a Final Fantasy anime. It was alright I guess

It would be shit user

Say that to my face and not online and see what happens, fag.

>Not at all. Are you literally just counting the pre-rendered cutscenes here?
I'm counting meaningful cutscenes that add to the story, not talking with NPCs around town. How would you depict that in an anime? This feels like it'd result in the characters teleporting across the planet in a series of disconnected scenes, or you'd have to animate an unreasonable amount of walking.
>Pair that with the bossfights
Man, this is one of the problems. In FFVII alone, before even leaving Midgar, the bosses are: Guard Scorpion (not literally necessary but necessary in principle as it's one of those essentially-VII things), Air Buster (necessary), Aps (not necessary), Reno (necessary), Sample:H0512 (not strictly necessary but somewhat), Hundred Gunner and Heli Gunner (not necessary), Rufus and Dark Nation (necessary), and Motorball (same as Guard Scorpion). That's a lot of boss fights for what should only be a couple episodes of your anime. And plenty with bosses that don't really mean anything and are only there to serve a gameplay challenge.
I simply don't see it flying in animation. When half your content is clearly intended for a video game structure and you either remove it or worse include it, it would lead to a disjointed or incomplete show, or one with a preposterous amount of nonsensical material.

FFX could work as a series, since there's enough surprises to make cliffhangers for the next episode.
Considering how godawful the adaptations have been so far I think they should just leave it be.

A full FFVII anime like Last Order but no dumb changes to scenes like where Sephiroth jumps into the mako reactor on his own instead of getting thrown in.

I’ll say it, it’s a tonal mess with shit characters and a dull story.

>there's enough surprises
I sure hope you're not talking about anything related to Seymour

just make something like that Monster Hunter for kids anime. Put a bunch of colored chocobos paired with some dumb children, a old man breeding chocobos and a story of friendship, Sucess (hire me Bandai)

FF 9 is pretty much an anime with random battles already
youtube.com/watch?v=3xqtQwC-hwM

This is generally the right way to go, I think.
Don't bother trying to just remake the game's plot in anime form.
Take the characters from one of the games, and make a side/additional story. Or just put it set in the same world with some occasional references to the original cast.

The whole thing surrounding Sin and the Final Summoning is a ball of plot twists, it could work well.

Why doesn’t anyone have hammers?

>FFX gets adapted
>marriage scene gets a whole episode
>mfw Sup Forums has a meltdown over it

don't talk about me and my wife ever again

VII by Ufotable
VIII by JC
IX by 3hz

I'm more interested in hypotetical anime of its sister franchise Dragon Quest. IV and V would work pretty well as anime considering how they are designed and they can easily fill with anything in-between as party chat aside, the games are absolutely more plot driven than character driven.

Artists always forget the girls wore dresses too

9 would make many people fall in love with vivi all over again. Seeing zidane fail with the ladies, man I would pay to see that.

Is hating on FFX the contrarian opinion?

Make a 1 cour show of FFTactics' first three episodes and make a non-ending after Wiegraf's battle.

>FFXII
>Ivalice
>Crap ton of different races
>The protagonist are all blond cute fuck boys and a playboy bunny.
Fuck FFXII.

Also there was an anime sequel of V but it looked more like a Breath of Fire anime.

>Final Fantasy You Laugh You Lose

Tidus Fantasy?

Suikoden could work as an anime if they did it like a Konosuba style thing, and it didn’t take itself seriously. The party and world building aspect of RPGs don’t translate well into anime, but it could maybe work as a gag animu.

VIII or V as Battle Harems.

Done.

It's pretty normal in Sup Forums threads, probably because they think gushing over IX makes them oldfags.

IX is my favourite and X is my 2nd favourite, I don't think this makes me anything except a man of discerning taste.

Thanks god I've never been there, called it.

That theory was so fucking retarded I'm glad Square has officially killed it.

Each season being a different game.

vrt.be/vrtnws/nl/2017/12/13/-final-fantasy-xv--episode-ignis--heeft-opvallende-belgisch-tint/
>Yasunori Mitsuda comes here to Euroland to record his new soundtrack
>Xenosaga concerts never ever
At least now that he's a FF guy his tracks might receive some symphonic attention.

>And what kind of anime is about a group of hobos killing critters in caves before fighting a particularly large critter at the end?
Made in Abyss?

FFX would work perfectly well as an anime. I'd love to see the interaction animated, Seymour being edgy, Wakka a bro, Lulu teasing, Kimhari being the silent guy with an heart of gold, etc.

MiA has had like 5 fight scenes and two of those were the white whistles.

Wakka fucking sucks
>Happy festival fireworks ya!?

The FFXV OVA was pretty good with its SOL stuff. Can't imagine it working too well with the more tense and brutal parts of the game, though (like Episode Ignis, holy shit).

He was just awkwardly trying to lift her spirits. Don't blame the guy for trying.

Wakka was trying his best to be supporting and cheerful despite knowing he was basically a country bumpkin. Notice he did not esitate one second to turn on yevon when faced with their bs. Yeah he was a bit annoying but a really good guy.
>I wouldn't forgive myself if I ran away now... not even in death, ya!

The "It was all a dream" theories are always the same kind of retarded

Indeed. The only thing worse than the shitty "it was all a dream" endings are these braindead fan "theories".

>it's a blitzball episode

just adapt IV aka the only good Final Fantasy.

>It's surprising theis hasn't been an adaptation yet
Watch more anime Sup Forumsermin.

This