How come long series are so rare nowadays? It seems 100+ episode series used to be common before the 00's

How come long series are so rare nowadays? It seems 100+ episode series used to be common before the 00's.

Because of lack of interest, plus there are long series of today like JoJo's Bizarre Adventure or Dragon Ball Super.

Haven't read much about it but it would have to do with the economics and relationship between broadcasting time and eventual BD/merchandise sells (and the reaction to it from producers). I'd imagine that it is also way more effective to make for smaller contract time if one makes for one core of the show than if it's 50 episodes or so.

Because series exist to quickly sell merch, manga, or LN.

But wasn't that the case back then too, hence why there were also so many OVAs?

oversaturation and underpaid animators.
Unless you don't mind TOEI and QUALITY

I wish I was in the timeline where Sailor Moon got a good manga adaptation

Optimal range for series length is 30-50 episodes. That gives you enough time for an intro arc, 2 or 3 longer ones, and a finale. Any longer than that and you run the risk of losing the plot, especially if you get bogged down with filler. Any shorter and it's difficult to fully develop all of the characters.

That's around when light novels started being the main source of IPs to animate. Authors are lazy cunts compared to artists.

> Authors are lazy cunts compared to artists.
This shouldn’t make sense, but it does.

It's called synchronicity. It wins all internet arguments by letting you choose not to play.

>when light novels started being the main source of IPs to animate
That never happened, stop spewing bullshit you heard from Sup Forums. Manga remains the largest source of adaptations by a huge margin (this season, there are four LN adaptations and 19 manga adaptations).

How many of the top 10 most profitable anime were LN adaptations?

It's the same with DLCs, they decided that they can gain more money from it than with just releasing the full game at once.

Especially with ecchis, since they are basically what's keeping this whole thing running

Because (in all honestly), the industry got fucked, pretty fucked, the only animes that are meant to be longer than the "thirteen/twenties something episodes and wait years if it ever gets a second season'' curse, are Toei crap meant to sell toys ala precure, or kids anime shows like pokemon or yokai watch.

Even the so called OVAs of today pale in comparison to the stuff of the 80s and even the 90s, budget priorities became fucked as well, too much goes now to overpaid seiyuus and ever since digital animation, too many shortcuts are taken now a days.

Plus all those mediocre to who cares adaptations of light novels that become really the norm.

I don't know of any ranking for all-time overall franchise profitability, but of the top ten home-media sellers, only two are adapted from LNs (Bake and Nise).

>Plus all those mediocre to who cares adaptations of light novels that become really the norm.
>that become really the norm
Again, fuck off with this bullshit, it's not true in the slightest.

Shut the fuck up if you don't know what you are talking about.

Wow, anything else you have to say?

I mean, I already pointed out how objectively false what you said was (), so I don't know what more you want from me.

Because you're ignoring the long series that are mostly targeted toward children like
pokemon 1000+ episodes
detective conan 800+
Yokai Watch 200+
Dragon ball super 120+
yugioh constanly get a long running serie with more than 100 episodes
Aikatsu and pripara are aslo have alot of episodes

I don't care about length either way, I just wish they adapted the material, they actually ADAPTED it and let the anime exist as it's own, complete work. It's not always clean but at least your're not blue balled.

Those were meant to be franchises.

Nips started to realize that quality is better than quantity. Only very few can pull off both (Togashi and Miura).

Personally, I'd rather have five more episodes of well-adapted material, even if that doesn't finish the story, than five episodes of some usually-terrible ending the anime writers came up with.

Natsume's Book of Friends is working on it.

It's a complete waste of time and animation if you're not going to adapt a complete work or tell a full story.

Half the time the shit being adapted is just some shitty battle harem manga that goes nowhere for 20 worthless volumes so adapting it is just an overpriced commercial for a shitty book.

>It's a complete waste of time and animation if you're not going to adapt a complete work or tell a full story.
I can't agree at all. That's probably partially because I tend to just go read whatever the source is afterward (so if you only watch anime, your stance is more understandable), but also, a story not having an ending doesn't somehow make the part we got less enjoyable. I'd take a complete story of the same quality over an incomplete one, of course, but an incomplete story is still better than a complete one of lower quality.

>Quality
>Flares, Blooms and filters everywhere
>No Gorefests like in the 80s
>No female loli service in kids shows
>Only kids commercials got more than 20 something episodes

FUCK MAH SHIT

>animes

Anime are expensive to make and studios don't want to fund really long ones unless they're certain they'll be a hit. Long anime inevitably devolve into filler and poor animation too.

How many episodes is Teekyu at now? I know it's three digits.

Because buying timeslots on TV is getting more expensive with diminishing returns thanks to the internet.
Maybe we'll get more long-ass series if webanime becomes a thing.

>if webanime becomes a thing
it's around but not very common, most dubs are already streamed to combat people downloading the series anyway

forgot pic

Half of YGO’s spinoffs have been mediocre, Super is basically Milking a Zombie: The Sequel Series, and Pokemon is a strong contender for the title of worst anime ever. And who the fuck ever cared about YW.
Detective Conan is decent, though.

>That's probably partially because I tend to just go read whatever the source is afterward

That's bullshit. Im all for using external media to win people over to the main source material but the production you make needs to stand on it's own.

This would be like if they just made the first Lord of the Rings and then told people to go read the books.

>This would be like if they just made the first Lord of the Rings and then told people to go read the books.
Are you saying you'd rather have had the first Lord of the Rings made, but replace the last ~hour with some original ending that wraps up the whole story? Because that's what we're discussing here.

I miss those Sundays.

Look harder nigga. There are still some good shows that go past 100 episodes. It just isn't that profitable to do so these days, that's all.

Pretty much this but also TV in general has gotten too expensive for animated serials. They've disappeared from the west as well unless they're cheap pieces of shit.

99% of long running animes are just adaptations of mangos in the "phoning it in because it still sells and I don't want to start a new series" territory, ie complete shit.

>upside-down cross
What are they teaching these girls?

To embrace Satan of course.

The same reason of why movie trilogies and long series fail
Eventually, the staff starts to demand better payment (VA, author, directors, etc) and to keep the show going, the studio has no choice but to pay or cancel
Considering that the industry has also gotten more competitive every person involved will try to obtain maximum profit for working, damaging the quality of the final product
What do I see for the future? Maybe one or two animation studios will finalize raise and create an oligopoly, this is the future of all companies under free market

Because at that time anime series were mainstream, not otaku oriented late night shit. If you had lived in the 70s and 80s you would understand my point better.