How much value do you put into visual direction?

How much value do you put into visual direction?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uWD4_nZsh4U
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Quite a bit.

Lots

Lack of it doesn't make an otherwise good series bad but having it can make a bad series good

very little

The more, the better.

summoning narutoposter

summoning narutoposter

summoning narutoposter

Just a soldier.

None, I'm a shaftfag

A good amount. I struggle to watch anime if it's ugly, or any movie for that matter.

Imagine being this autistic

>K-on
very little

Depends on how it's used.

an undetermined amount

Anyone knows some site that analyze shot composition and the like? Similar to animecinematography.blogspot

>draw beautiful scenery that the characters just walk through

>"""visual direction"""

kyoani fags kys

yes, and...?

do you hate walking that much? no wonder you are a fatass

A lot. It's what differentiates a decent anime (LOGH) from a masterpiece (Jin-Roh).
Anyway, what was the best directed anime of the year in your opinion, Sup Forums? Do you prefer over the top directing like Houseki no Kuni or something more subdued like Tsuki ga Kirei?

Not much, really. It's a cop-out to mask a lack of talent.

>t. retards

why post when you cant even explain what a scene evokes when composed in a particular way?

This shot evokes arousal in me, not sure why

Kinda ironic that you're doing the same.

must be the symmetry

there's no direction unless you count pretty wallpapers :^)

>Logh
>decent
Logh doesn't have amazing visuals, but that's simply because that's not what it's about.

Jin-Roh is cinematic storytelling, so it uses a lot of visuals and very little talking to get the story and messages across to the viewer, but LoGH is literary storytelling, specifically bibliographic.

LoGH is trying to be a fake history show. That's why they make heavy use of a narrator. It's why they use classical music (or at least that's part of the reason). That aside, LoGH makes perfectly good use of cinematography when it wants to. It just doesn't rely on colour composition and styling for that aura. It's more in the facial expressions, and the way the lines are depicted. Take, for instance, Alexander Bucock's death. It's a masterfully done scene. They didn't need to make it look dark or light. They just needed to show his resolve to fight to the bitter end. He appears massive on the screen projection from The Brunhild. The slight smile he gives when he toasts to democracy. Reinhard grabbing his Kirchies amulet when Bucock says 'friend'. It all boils down to depicting the characters ideologies in visual form. As such they don't need to use things like contrast and aesthetics to get the message across. Indeed, such things may only serve to distract from what's really important.

Also, LoGH looks fucking beautiful when it wants to, vid related youtube.com/watch?v=uWD4_nZsh4U

I don't know, I can see the "completely objective historical" thing in most scenes, but if that was the intention, then the series was inconsistent with it. Some scenes do take a more subjective approach and try to use literary devices, so I don't completely buy the idea.

Tsuki ga Kirei, but honestly it's hard to pick one because both stylistic choices fit perfectly with their genres/stories.

also, while I like HnK's direction, it's a little odd how disconnected each episode feels from another. but maybe I'm missing something

If anything, shaft is among the top contenders in the visual directions department

Wouldn't call LoGH literary. The anime is a big upgrade over the books.

more like Kino no Kyoukai amirite

based shaft

I can watch just for the visual's, if there that good, the opposite is possible too.

Do you have one for movie one?

>random screenshots = visual direction
Sasuga from an underaged little shit.