Pre-2000 Anime Thread

Discuss old stuff.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Nuvca6MPO0s
youtube.com/watch?v=bVpwJbLLivU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

museru

Wicked City was an absolute mess. That old dude was such an annoying dickhead.

The oldest anime I've ever seen is la blue girl. You guys know anything similar?

Is Zeorymer any good?

True, but the aesthetic looks nice.
I've said this before but I actually think if the old guy was cut and some of the sex scenes were re-edited it would be a classic, and not just in a schloky way. It could be a legitimately good cult movie with some sexual violence if it wasn't so obvious were meant to be aroused or something with how the camera lingers.
The first 15 minutes before the overly grotesque stuff and the old man are amazing.

home alone two lost in new york

I know this might out me as shit-taste but I'm really looking for something overly edgy with gore. I've already seen Wicked City and FOTNS.
I'd honestly take something modern or a manga (read Berserk already) but I'm not sure where to ask other than here (and I would still prefer something older)

Violence Jack, but skip the first ova and just watch Evil City and Hell's Wind. The first ova has shit animation and pacing where the second a third are nearly perfectly made exploitation films, the finale of Evil City is one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

I think the reason Ninja Scroll is such a blast is because Kawajiri basically already made it twice and ironed out the wrinkles. His good but he has a very limited range as a storyteller.

The guy is much more of a director than a story teller - a lot of his most famous works were him adapting horror novels from Kekuchi (Wicked City, Demon City Shinjuku, A Wind Named Amnesia, Vampire Hunter D).He really is one of the best action directors in my opinion, he really knows how to make the violence visceral and breathtaking, and the hyper-detailed art he always utilizes works so well with his directing style. I think it is mainly because he started as an animator - he gets credits for key animations on The Dagger of Kamui, which has really breath taking animation itself, and even as far back as 1970 he was doing key animation on Cleopatra. Having years as an animator really helped him figure out how to be stunning visual director down the line.

Hey he was doing his job.

You wouldn't recognize a goddamn pre 2000 anime if one jumped up and bit you on the end of your fucking dick.
yeah
Overfiend but it's not as good kinda a "bad" knockoff to La blue

How is a 1987 Japanese animated movie not pre-2000?

user, I...

>You wouldn't recognize a goddamn pre 2000 anime if one jumped up and bit you on the end of your fucking dick.
I used to go down to the local video store and rent an anime on VHS every weekend kiddo.

Great animation and art, and an interesting and well done story about characters dealing with determinism, fate, and personal identity during an apocalyptic battle. I think episode 4 went by too fast and they really needed an extra episode to wrap it up properly, but it is a really great work worth checking out.

Overfiend came out before Perfect Blue, created by the same person though, so it is a good rec.

Im pissed as hell that the iconic bulldozer was replaced with an oil tanker in the OVA

Its a reference to another madhouse classic user

Lurk moar.
>I'd honestly take something modern or a manga (read Berserk already) but I'm not sure where to ask other than here
Yeah, it's not like there are at least three comprehensive anime databases out there that can answer all of your retarded questions. Dumb fuck.

I started watching Cutey Honey. Are the OVAs better than 70s series?

Eva does it better. The only good thing are the mecha designs.

Hated the Shin OVA but evidently it's dividing.
No wonder it resorted to more on your face Nagai fanservice after six shitty bitch of the week episodes with brain-numbing action dialogue and annoying milquetoast boy whose conflict is that he wants to protect Honey (she's fucking invincible).

Suffering through Lgaim.

Started off decent but then it started being Gundam levels of Tomino shit.

Only watched the first 2 episodes since the others did have mkv encodes yet, OP was banging
youtube.com/watch?v=Nuvca6MPO0s

>watching anything written or directed by Tomino
He had some good ideas on Gundam, but that is it. He stinks when it comes to creating.

So sub or dub for that movie?

Oedo's dub is unironicaly one of the worst i've ever seen.Unless you plan on watching it to laugh at it, I would definitely go with the original japanese.

downloaded the first season of Sailor Moon a few nights ago.

Am I in for a wild ride?

Halfway through Maison Ikkoku,only 50 more episodes before I can move on to something else I might actually like.

LGaim is pretty much his worst work save Garzey's Wings, Dunbine is much stronger for a non Gundam work by him.

>page 8
nu-Sup Forums was a mistake.

doesn't really change much. plus i love the line in the dub "an oil tanker for you"

the UK dub is the holy grail of shlocky action dubs and the UK OST has way more tracks than the original and its generally better too

>tfw only have 10 episodes left on Gaim
>can't bring myself to do it

Just picked up the Wingman manga. Gives me a Kamen Rider vibe, but more lighthearted and 80s.

The spider woman was pretty awesome as far as design goes. Like you were saying though, I just wish the story were interesting enough to utilize a cool character like that properly.

Just started VOTOMS, it's pretty great so far.
I was expecting some kind of super-serious war drama, but it ended up being more like First Blood with robots.

Finished Joe part one. I was spoiled on Rikishi's death but it was still a shocking moment.

the second arc, set in not-vietnam, is amazing

I disliked the Woodooh arc but the space Vietnam was amazing.

>the UK dub is the holy grail of shlocky action dubs
Did you forget Angel Cop exists?
youtube.com/watch?v=bVpwJbLLivU

BUT IF THIS IS JUSTICE THEN I'M A BANANA

It's a bit slow until episode 8 when Mercury joins Moon. One Usagi has the other girls to play off the show really hits its own stride.

I found it didn't get interesting until the Youma arc or around episode 20, the SOL filler episodes that flesh out the characters are pretty fun.

It is all downhill in the second half.

CHIRICO!

I think the last OVA I watched was the one about Chirico's early days when he was getting sent to hellish environments to see if his superior could kill him, which OVA comes next?

Fifteening is such a stupid idea.

I wonder if people still do it today.

Finished Getter Robo Armageddon the other day, I liked the action parts of it well enough. Shame it was so inconsistent in quality though.

>which OVA comes next?

Kind of a shame that a manga as good as Getter has had like 5 separate anime and not a single one does it justice.
It was kind of interesting to see how they handled Armaggedon after Imagawa threw them under a bus after episode 3.

This is best isekai anime ever exist, prove me wrong.

>what if we made pokemon
>but removed all the rules

>can't find any BD rips of Slayers Try
Does it even exist?

This guy looks like a young Miyazaki

Akage no Anne is the best anime ever.

I've considered starting that tomorrow or another WMT. Maybe I should save it for New Year's.

>but I actually think if the old guy was cut and some of the sex scenes were re-edited it would be a classic
Nah, the old man is alright, but they should have really cut both the hotel and the tentacle rape scenes, they really are gratuitous and make no sense when Maki kicked ass both before and after that, it really ruins both her character and the movie.
A shame really, since it would have been much better than Evil City were it not for Kawajiri pushing his rape fetish so much, as it is I actually prefer Evil City, as cliched and artistically inferior as it might be.

Shame Madhouse will never be as great again.

Crazy to think SE: Lain is pre 2k.

Why? It feels 90s as fuck to me.

Only by a few years.
Services like Compuserve were already pretty well-established then, too.

>Shurato gets this cool-looking golden armor (Brahma Shakti)
>Said Shakti gets completely destroyed in one shot by Shiva's energy ball attack.

And everything possible to jeopardize it.

It was a road grater you fuckboi

The fuck, no, he was doing exactly what he was meant to, did you even follow the plot?

He kept on fucking things up and trolling Taki on purpose because he was testing him, the entire peace treaty revolved around demonstrating for both sides that humans and demons can coexist peacefully, that's why he kept putting Taki and Makie in dangerous situation, to see if they would eventually develop feelings for each other, he did literally nothing wrong.

definitely a masterpiece. have you watched romeo's blue skies?

I don't even know what that means.

Are you referring to the hotel with the chess game? I remember that being before it completely went to shit. I think the real turning point is where the old guy gets absorbed by tits.

watching this now because I found the OST and it was really good.

That was Manga Entertainment's way of spicing up a dub with gratuitous profanity to get the 15-and-up crowd. Devilman is one of their most notorious examples with gems like "AMON'S EATING SHIT IN HELL NOW, I'M DEVILMAN!" and "I'LL RIP YOUR FUCKING HEAD OFF AND SHIT DOWN YOUR NECK!" I guess blood and tits weren't enough for some.

i wish this had just stayed as a comedy work and not became a generic fighting show.

Finished City Hunter today and it was pretty boring.The other seasons are similar to the first one?

Picked up this image a while back, how good is it? I've thought about Twilight Q as that seems to be pique my interest the most.

/ar/ when

Twilight Q is pretty good. I mean both episodes are completely different, the 2nd one is insanely Oshii.
OST is great. I always love Kenji Kawai.

From that list, I'd definitely say watch Please Save My Earth, Take the X Train, and Midori. The rest are pretty mediocre, but have nice visuals.

It's unlikely that would work without it becoming a cancerous circlejerk. Scarcity keeps discussions fresh. The only, and I mean ONLY use an /ar/ board would have is if it helped in the translation of otherwise forgotten anime.

It would turn into the most contrarian board on Sup Forums within a week

>Are you referring to the hotel with the chess game?
Yeah, that part.
>I think the real turning point is where the old guy gets absorbed by tits.
It happens right after that though so it wouldn't have changed that much either way.
The board would die in one year, look at the state /vr/ is in now, it was great for two years then it began spiralling down at a steady pace.

>cancerous circlejerk
You mean like the entirety of the internet in 2017 almost 2018? Sup Forums being no exception.
I'd be up for a board that focuses only on pre-2000 anime and has a slower pace.
I know that /m/ already works as a kind of "retro anime" board but not really.

>look at the state /vr/ is in now, it was great for two years then it began spiralling down at a steady pace.
Compared to Sup Forums, /vr/ is heaven.

It might be, but it's still in a sorry state, there's barely any quality thread right now, the board's is in full echochamber mode since two years with a lot of gratuitous shitposting.
/ar/ would last even less since there's a lot more retro vidya than retro animu and mango, not to mention that there would be a serious overlap with /m/ since a huge portion of pre 00's is /m/ stuff.

Its one thing to have a slower board but an /ar/ board would probably have less traffic than /po/ if Gainiax fags dont assume complete domination

Lots of bottom tier anime in that list. If you actually want to see several different creators doing stylish shorts you should watch Robot Carnival, Bubblegum Crisis, and Neo Tokyo instead. If you haven`t already.

But what about other boards? what about Sup Forums? This board isn't full of gratuitous shitposting? Isn't Sup Forums full of echochambers?

>This board isn't full of gratuitous shitposting? Isn't Sup Forums full of echochambers?
Not saying that it's not, but you seem to assume a hypothetical /ar/ board would be any better, give it onw year and it would be exactly like Sup Forums, but infinitely slower.
These threads are already more than enough.

>These threads are already more than enough.
They die in a couple hours, most of Sup Forums is current season.
I don't browse Sup Forums everyday, I rarely find threads about older anime on Sup Forums other than the really popular stuff.

>They die in a couple hours
The last thread was up for three days.

Just finished Getter Robo Go and Great Mazinger vs Getter Robo.
I love these old Toei shows/movies.
Gonna watch the other Getter crossover movies today and finish the last chapter of the Getter Robo Go manga.
Still plugging through Yamato and Lupin at two episodes a day. Both very good.

I'd rather have /bs/ to get rid of shounen jump threads. That would fix Sup Forums for me.

yes, gainax

You'd still be left with SOL/moe autists.

is it on the archive to check it out?

>not 3000 leagues in search of mother

Shin > Original > Flash > Re
Any other ordering is a Panther Claw ruse, and not to be trusted.

nothing is stopping you from looking up any Sup Forums archive and typing pre-2000 into the subject field

Been watching Kihachiro Kawamoto's work.
Truly beautiful.

>her introduction scene
>she's a fucking badass
>spends the rest of the movie getting raped
Couldn't help but chuckle each time something happened to her, it got so ridiculous. It took her getting impregnated by the protagonist for her to become super powerful again. All in all, I enjoyed it, though.

I've been watching Fantastic Children at the moment. It isn't pre-2000, but the character designs and general atmosphere is very classic in style. It's a shame Takashi Nakamura hasn't gotten much recognition by weebs, he's a real auteur and deserved more success.

As always, I'd like to know what is finally getting subbed. What you want to see subbed and what is never getting subbed.
Also, I'd like to see Burning Blood get a LD rip, just for the music.

I am at episode 16 and don't think it's anything special. Hope Anne is better than this.