Madoka Magica Rebellion

Frankly this feels like they really wanted a bad ending so they forced one as hard as they could. It's not even much of an ending, it feels like the second part of a trilogy, except things were abandoned here with no continuation. I don't get what the purpose of Bebe was, it might as well have been magical girl Hitomi.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cH6NB2F-Jcw
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AccidentalKiss
youtube.com/watch?v=hi7TxyuulfY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>everyone lives happily ever after, except Homura probably isn't fully happy
>bad ending
What did brainlets mean by this?

>what the purpose of Bebe was
It was to show that witches aren't necessarily bad, effect increased because this is the one that killed mami

>feels like they really wanted a bad ending so they forced one
I think puella magica had a good enough ending, rebellion is mostly to show more of the girls, especially mami
anyway, homura was going to turn into witch inevitably, and they felt that as an obvious hook to start this
I dont think it leaves much for another continuation

>make a retarded retcon and regress Homura's character into "MUH MADOKA" for the sake of having a sequel
>end the already shitty sequel with a shitty cliffhanger that's still unresolved

Rebellion was a mistake.

>make a retarded retcon and regress Homura's character into "MUH MADOKA"
>implying she ever was anything other than muh madoka

Her last scene in the TV series was pretty blunt about her getting over that shit and fighting on.

>Your complaining isn't going to help. Come on, let's go.
>This world isn't worth saving, tragedies and sadness will never truly disappear. But even so, it's the place she once tried to protect.
>I remember that. And I will never ever forget it.
>That's why... I keep fighting.

>"MUH MADOKA"
>instead of MUH DOKA
You blew it.

We didn't need Bebe to show witches aren't bad. We had Sayaka for that. Bebe was nothing more than ship-bait and a fan-favorite that Shaft had to include in the movie.

She didn't get over that shit. It's like the exact opposite of that. She just couldn't do anything about it.

Rebellion is a sequel to the movies, not the TV series.

Movie 2's ending is a bit different.

Yes, and she basically accepted that it couldn't be helped and strove to fight to protect the world Madoka loved, instead of crying for Madoka like a bitch.

I haven't seen the first two movies, but I'll take your word for it then.

And the movies shows what happens when she can do something about it. She never got over it at all. If given the chance, she will take it and fuck over the world for Madoka.

>We had Sayaka for that
sayaka is shit

>no continuation
There's another movie in the works, it's just on Shaft's schedule. I'd expect it in 2019-2022.

>It was to show that witches aren't necessarily bad
Did that really change anything, though

Rebellion is the best thing that could happen to the series. You'll see after the sequel ends up being the true masterpiece of the series.

Not to mention that it didn't even accomplish that since it wasn't an actual witch.

Nigga she spent ELEVEN YEARS in despair purgatory trying to save her. You don't think it'd be unlikely for her to not really be okay with it even if she tried her best to reason she is?

It's like that dude who's long term girlfriend cheats on him and he tries to play off being okay so people don't worry, but then when she comes back to give him sloppy seconds he's crying at her feet begging her to stay.

>that massive list of spinoffs
Are any of them even worth reading?

why not play their new game user?

Not really, no. Different Story is the only halfway worthwhile one. Oriko has an interesting premise but botched the execution.

Rebellion is a masterpiece.

Different Story is great.

>mobage
Nice joke.

Noted.

The story is pretty decent and there some nice new looking girls, also more story with moemura.

Nah, it's subpar. You just like using it to shitpost.

No, the mobage shows the best potential so far. Maybe because it has some effort behind it.

She got over nothing.
>Spent years on end dedicating herself to repeating a month or so to save her one true friend
>Failed to save her properly and in the end she ended up leaving her again
If anything deciding to fight the wraiths was only something to distract herself from Madoka's absence.

Different Story & Wraith Arc are pretty good, the rest are pretty random though. I think Homura's Revenge was decent as well. Different Story basically focuses on Mami failing to be a proper sempai though & the other 2 are Homura orientated.

>wraith arc
>good
Don't kid yourself. It was a garbage fire.

what is this Wraith Arc and why is it shit.

It's a manga takes place between the series and rebellion, written by the same guy who did The Different Story and Kazumi Magica. It has fanfiction-teir writing and characterization inconsistent with the main series. It's a blessing that it's not canon.

>Homura's Revenge
that sounds like a name of a bad fanfic.

The story is better than the anime and the characters get more development

>Frankly this feels like they really wanted a bad ending so they forced one as hard as they could.
What the fuck are you talking about? Rebellion is anything BUT a bad ending. It gave a much needed closure to the Madoka series, giving a good ending to everyone but Kyubey.
> It's not even much of an ending, it feels like the second part of a trilogy, except things were abandoned here with no continuation.
No, it doesn't feel like a second part of anything at all. If feels like exactly what it is: the conclusion of the story. You disliking it and fueling your own delusions for another ending doesn't change the facts.
>I don't get what the purpose of Bebe was, it might as well have been magical girl Hitomi.
So you didn't even watch the fucking movie and are just memeing like an unfunny idiot. A proposal for you: go fuck yourself.
I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired of your kind coming here just to make threads whining about Rebellion. It was a great fucking movie, your lack of taste doesn't matter at all.

>I said so!
Great argument.

Please take your chill pills. I did like the movie a lot. The course change right at the end when Homura was about to get her wish to be with Madoka forever just threw me off a lot, and with all the references to Homura getting her comeuppance in the future, and Madoka showing signs of resisting the change, it made it all feel somewhat inconclusive. That's why I suspected there was meant to be more and why I don't consider it much of a "good" ending (though maybe calling it "bad" was a bit much). But again I don't consider the movie bad by any means.

Also you haven't told me what the point of Bebe was. She could have just been Sayaka and most of the plot points involved wouldn't have changed that much. It's like they picked Charlotte's original form solely for the novelty factor.

Most people don't understand what they just watched. They simply interrupt the ending as bad, because Homura calls herself a demon.

If you didn't understand Rebellion, you didn't understand Homura.

It is fair to call it a bad ending. Everyone's happy and the world is at peace, but it's all fabricated happiness in a fabricated world. It's the same fate that Homura herself once tried to escape, and she's dumping it on literally everybody else.

homura killed santa

What makes it fabricated? It's no more fabricated than when Madokami happened.

Homura reset the world to where Madoka can get her happy normal life. All the megucas too, they only need to accept the new rules of the world.

It's a happy ending for everyone except Homura and QB.

It's forced. Madoka is not just able get to her happy normal life, Madoka WILL get her happy normal life. And not because she decides it so, but because Homura demands it so. She doesn't want the world to be real and everyone to be themselves, but rather they all be actors playing out her script for how the perfect world should be. Sayaka retained her memories of what Homura did and swears revenge? Not anymore, bitch. Madokami is reemerging after the universe rewrite? Think again.

That all seems kinda shitty to me though I guess I can see why people would consider it a happy ending despite the world becoming an obsessed lesbian's playground. Homura is not really malevolent if it doesn't suit her purposes, so everyone is guaranteed at least a good life. Maybe it's a perspective thing.

Everything besides the original anime is shit.

You're projecting. There is nothing to suggest that Homura is intervening in any way in the new world. For Madoka she can live as if the meguca system doesn't exist.
Homura didn't do much more than separate the real Madoka from LoC while functioning as her replacement.

Also saying the TV series ending or Rebellion's ending is happy is wrong. In Urobuchi's stories, happiness is a zero-sum game.

I agree, it's going to be twice as satisfying to see Madoka reclaiming her goddess and deliver divine punishment to Homura.

It's time for the megucae to end.

>There is nothing to suggest that Homura is intervening in any way in the new world.
She claps, then Sayaka's witch dissipates and she loses her composture and balance, and starts stumbling over her own words after Homura points out her memories are being overwritten. That seems more than just a coincidence to me.

>Also saying the TV series ending or Rebellion's ending is happy is wrong. In Urobuchi's stories, happiness is a zero-sum game.
Fair enough though I wasn't the one arguing that point, I just conceded it.

That's just a reaction to Sayaka's own aggression.
When Madoka held all the power she could do things like that too, people only hate when Homura does it because she called herself a demon out of self-loathing.

>There is nothing to suggest that Homura is intervening in any way in the new world.
of course she does, that's what she was doing during the whole ending

>That's just a reaction to Sayaka's own aggression.
So you're saying Homura did do it.

>When Madoka held all the power she could do things like that too
But she didn't, and we're given no reason to believe she would.
And no one is hating Homura here, but it is a fact she's messing with the world to keep everyone toeing the line.

Urobuchi originally was going to have Homura be taken to heaven, but it was changed so there could be an open ending just in case they ever wanted to beat that horse again.

This, I actually like it better than the anime itself.

Instead of evil Homura intervening with everyone, it's other megucas like Sayaka or Mami who don't want her to be empress of the universe. It's natural that she would try to stop them.

Urobuchi didn't want that either. That's why when he asked Shinbo for advice he told him why not turn them into enemies, Urobuchi didn't even know it's okay to do that because he knew it would divide the fanbase. Which it did.

>the absolute state of current day Sup Forums

Those are exactly the kind of posts we got when Rebellion first came out over 4 years ago so I don't see the difference

He just wants to fit in, don't mind him.

And just like 4 years ago, i encourage everyone that says "bad ending" to watch it at 0.5x speed again.

well, someone SHOULD beat the fucking horse, cuz trying to erase the original series memory in place of MagiReco is bullshit.

theres no way Rebellion can be even considered an ending, much less a good one.

also 'rebellion is the movie series ending' is bullshit, the TV series and the recap movies are the same thing!

>trying to erase the original series memory in place of MagiReco
What?

>much needed closure

The series was perfectly wrapped up the way it was. If anything, Rebellion just left it without a proper closure for the sake of cashing in on the franchise.

basically, by forcing MagiReco in the throats of people who wants more meguka, eventually they expect us to forget that Rebellion happened, its a common practice.

the fact that MagiReco is the only Meguka thing we have 4 years after Rebellion instead of a proper conclusion is not a coincidence.

No, that's not why Magireco happened.
It happened because they are still far from completing the sequel and they want something to keep the brand name alive. A mobage makes perfect sense.

Afer Magireco concludes its story we should get the Rebellion continuation and if the game was successful enough, they can do Magireco II.

Do we know if the Rebellion continuation will be a another movie or a TV show?

for some reason i cant believe it. i want to, but i cant.

Rebellion definitely caused uproar and divided the fanbase, it doesnt help that we havent had news since 4 years+, maybe because they cant fully write the story, maybe because the butcher cant do it, despite wanting to do it, who knows.

MagiReco seems like the perfect scapegoat for this situation as long as the game is properly mantained, the majority of the fanbase (who are retards by default like every other fanbase) will get more meguka, and we can ignore the rest who notice and try to complain in favor of those who pay.

or maybe im just becoming cynical asshole, either one works.

but still Rebellion sucks!

Pretty sure it's another movie. Shinbo already said Rebellion is part of the movie series, not the TV series.

Rebellion at least got us one good thing.

>for some reason i cant believe it. i want to, but i cant.

That's what the producer said. You better believe it.

Urobuchi probably reached his limit, but I doubt they'll be able to do the sequel without him.

>it's a good ending because everyone is alive
>please ignore everything else and why it's there
boo

I hate her. I might change my tune when the next movie comes out but for now, fool me once...

Where are your arguments then?

This, the original ending was damn near perfect. It solved the main problems of the series, it was a nice blend of happy & bittersweet, it brought closure while not tying up everything/leaving some things open ended. Any continuation was entirely unnecessary.

spoiler that shit. I don't need to see handholding when the family is around.

youtube.com/watch?v=cH6NB2F-Jcw

I'm still sad.

>series ends with Sayaka finally having no regrets
>lol just kidding!!! she regrets "leaving behind" someone she barely knew and didn't get along with most of the time anyway
>this totally isn't retconning Sayaka's character resolution for the sake of pandering

You're retarded. Sayaka having gotten over her love for Kyosuke doesn't necessarily apply to everything else. And it's not the first time Sayaka said something and changed her mind later. That's like the entire point of her character. Humans regret stuff.

>someone she barely knew and didn't get along with most of the time anyway
Someone who died for her sake and spoke to her on a very personal level, which is the reason they fought all this time.

Are they doing pandering with KyoSaya? Yes, they even have an offscreen accident kiss in the opening. But that doesn't mean it's ooc or without story merits.

What's the point of BDs if you're not going to fix the QUALITY

>over 4 years
I need to rewatch it again to refresh my memory

Sayaka didn't get over her love of Kyosuke, the anime end just shows she no longer regrets her wish or becoming a magical girl. I don't care if Kyoko died for Sayaka's sake, that doesn't mean it makes sense for them to be super BFFs or for them to be in love or whatever crap Rebellion pulled. You can show they care about each other without retconning Sayaka not having regrets, there was no reason for that other than pandering. Sayaka and Kyoko's relationship was not properly developed enough for that kind of statement to be believable.

>they even have an offscreen accident kiss in the opening
No they don't.

>the anime end just shows she no longer regrets her wish or becoming a magical girl
You just proved my point.

>I don't care if Kyoko died for Sayaka's sake, that doesn't mean it makes sense for them to be super BFFs
They're friends in a nicer universe where they don't have to deal with everyone dying. It makes sense. They already got close in the original series (Kyoko telling Sayaka her life story and Sayaka admitting she was stupid right before her death are obvious signs), so they'd at least be friends there.

>You can show they care about each other without retconning Sayaka not having regrets
It's not a retcon. If anything it elaborates on her not having regrets and makes her a more nuanced, human character. People have regrets, even when they say they're okay. You don't keep the same line of thinking all the time.

Look at the part where they fall on each other

It is at least open for interpretation what is going to happen.

>it's possible that their faces touched, accidentally, off screen

Reaching

Maybe if you haven't seen any other anime or romcom, or don't know how gravity works.

Once again: their relationship is not even close to being developed enough for it to make sense for Sayaka to say her sole regret was leaving Kyoko behind, or that she took the assignment to be with Kyoko.

>it's right because i say so!
Sure, buddy.

The third part of the trilogy would be Magia Record.

Precisely because the original anime ended perfectly the only way left to continue is to make a spectacle out of ripping it apart.

Not to be that guy but Rebellion was probably too smart for you.

That's reaching, but Shaft did that for pandering anyway. It's also cute and not obnoxious so I say it's good pandering.

Ah shit as TV tropes is, here's a list with a lot of cases of that exact same scene happening in other anime and manga.
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AccidentalKiss

do you any have an actual argument against my argument?

Magia record is generic filler right now but if it delivered on its premise and ideas it could be interesting.

What's dead cannot be killed. I have no argument against no arguments.

When Sayaka "died" she went into the Law of Cycles, where Madoka showed her all the past time lines. Which of course means she saw Kyouko sacrifice her life time and time again just so Sayaka wouldn't have to die alone.

That's more than enough to make her change her mind about having no regrets.

Well the movie itself is an argument against you.

There's no need for the Law of Cycles, I'm pretty sure that if she had survived pic related or if Kyoko managed to unwitch her, they'd have become friends.

Hell, just look at episode 9 ending youtube.com/watch?v=hi7TxyuulfY

Is there any reason to think that happens in other timelines? And offscreen "development" is not really development at all. Sayaka appreciating what Kyoko did for her is fine but anything more than that is too much IMO.
Though admittedly I've always had a problem with how Kyoko & Sayaka's relationship was handled in the show too. The jump from Kyoko being a huge bitch who tried to kill Sayaka to sacrificing herself for her after getting to know her some over a few days was too rushed for me.

>too
>trying to imply the other posts are not yours
Just admit you're alone. There's no way there's two people in the thread stupid enough to not understand such a basic element of the series.

First off, Homura knew what Kyouko was planning, meaning she's done it before.
Secondly, Kyouko was never a "huge bitch". She had legitimate reasons for acting the way she did, and even then almost as soon as they met she was trying to help Sayaka, even if it was in a messed up. She was trying to make Sayaka understand how much she sacrificed, and that she should get something in return. Which is why she told her to take Kyousuke by force.

>Sayaka appreciating what Kyoko did for her is fine but anything more than that is too much IMO.
So appreciating a people throwing their life away for your sake is alright but being friendly with them in a friendly environment is too much? Let that sink.

>The jump from Kyoko being a huge bitch who tried to kill Sayaka to sacrificing herself for her after getting to know her some over a few days was too rushed for me
It's definitely fast. But over these few days, more things happened in Kyoko's life than in her months of hunting witches. And each of these events was big from Kyoko and Sayaka's perspective. They challenged each other's viewpoint, which are the main reasons for the death of Kyoko's family and Sayaka's witch. This justifies them not needing weeks or months to get so confrontational (and close), because each of their interaction was intense and personal.

Uh, what? I never meant to imply those other posts aren't mine. I've been replying to one user (I'm assuming you're the same person) in this discussion.
Kyoko was a bitch at first. She softened a lot but she started out extremely antagonistic, veering on villainous. Not sure why you're taking so much issue at that statement.