Kujira no Kora wa Sajou ni Utau

Now that's it over (for now at least) what did you think of it?

It felt like someone took a two-cour show, cut off the last twenty episodes, and then stretched the first ~five out to twelve somehow. Irrelevant shit took way too long (that raid on Skylos was three fucking episodes), a lot of shit that's probably relevant way later in the manga also took up too much time, and then the last two episodes teased stuff that seemed a lot more interesting than what they spent all their time on. I don't really hate it, but it didn't go anywhere.

Nothing really happened. Wasted potential.

Great art, good OST, cool world, and cute girls.
Very bad pacing, some annoying characters, and I don't feel the anime accomplished much with the story.
I don't regret watching it, but it did disappoint me.

That aside, the architecture reminds me of structures found in Roger Dean's artworks; that gives me a good feeling.

Oh, and Ginshu-onee-sama is best girl!

I wanted it to be good.

Nice show, it could have been grandiose if there was some tension in the fight and action scene but they were chokingly dull, to a point where you couldn't care anymore about the tragic events going on. I must know why but much often, JCstaff absolutely fail to deliver on those important moment.

based Onee-san, laughing in the face of fear

On the topic of the last episode, I hope Orca's fiance gets to be happy. She was cute and nice, and that doesn't bode well given the people she's hanging out with.

Expecting a longer wait for the episode but asenshi delivered, time to watch this last one then.

Rekt.

>pink in jester suit
Nice.

Still crazy as usual.

This nigga.

Dope stonework.

I feel like orca just made her fiance to cover his ass but she could report anytime previously though with less conspiracy evidence to present and orca gonna fuck around during his trial like before. But maybe orca is really attached to the cutie, seeing the astali's flashback on him and orca dream of MUH YUTOPIA.

one of the best shows of this year but feels highly incomplete
time to read the manga i guess

The Nous could still emotions like Sea God could steal emotions. Ena stores emotions and is an organic film that covers your skin. Is Ena the same a Nous?

Sheit.

I think he genuinely does care about her, because I can't think of any reason he would tell her about his plans otherwise.

Him including her into his conspiracy inner circle would make her less wanting to snitch on him, and probably going to get the same treatment if she reports later. Might just be a retard like pic related.

Neri is up to no good again.

> Him including her into his conspiracy inner circle would make her less wanting to snitch on him
She can't snitch if she doesn't know, though. Unless you just mean about his dealings with Commander What's-His-Face, I guess, but that's minor shit and he made it clear that he could just brush that off, so he wouldn't tell her about his plan to overthrow the fucking emperor just to make her stay quiet about his minor schemes.

Pic related is not a retard, he's just enjoy being edgy.

loli of the year

What the fuck is her problem?

Are Neri and Ema two different people?

Too edgy for me, he went retardland after his "kill yourself" reply. It was hilarious for sure but come on.

He is going to let her know more of his plan slowly since letting her know too much too soon this fast might be harmful to him since you gotta include your new guy in committing crimes and build up their own rap sheet so that when you are caught, you can at least see your dudes get burned too.

Why did they kill her?

Wish we got more of this midget babe.

Wave motion gun when?

>letting her know too much too soon this fast might be harmful to him
He literally just told her "We are going to use this ship we just got, go capture the daimon from the Faleina, and then use him to take the first Nous and overthrow the emperor." That's extremely sensitive information, and not something you'd tell to someone you didn't trust.

Those are the bigger stuff where orka will just do his dance in the courtroom since no evidence of him going seriously for the emperor other than his now fiance snitching (if she snitches now). Orka will still need to plan and execute the little stuff (supplies, the boat commanders,etc.) which if compromised will lend credibility to his conspiracy and evidence of them will corner him more thus he need the archivist(fiance) either by manipulating her emotion and getting her into more of this. Which he did both.

Midget gonna get some.

Nigga a bodyguard and a chauffeur now.

>The character art was fairly unique but the character designs themselves were ultimately unremarkable. The few elements that really separated them from most other anime characters were their outlines and clothing, neither of which looked particularly good in my opinion.

>The backgrounds ranged from boring to downright lazy. The story-book aesthetic was probably designed to convey the idea that the audience is reading Chakuro's records but, other than that one (rather pointless) narrative connection, I felt it only made the world feel less real. That said, I do think KujiraKora actually utilized colour well. The vibrant colouring of even the mud-whale itself made it feel like a hot and bright place to me, which I felt suited it. It also felt like a perfectly natural environment in relation to the sort of clothing the characters wore.

>The pacing was pretty bad with seemingly very little actually happening over the course of the series. Each episode felt like it only really explored one or two events, though I could see some people liking that sort of pacing.

>The writing was dog shit, particularly in the characters. The only character with a tangible change to me was Lykos, who only changed due to regaining her emotions. Chakuro was an uncreative and lazy main character who developed very little. Oni was a little edgy for me and wasn't as deep as I felt the story wanted me to believe, but whatever. Thank christ Sami died at the beginning because I hated her so much. Absolutely the worst character in the entire anime. She was a living trope and her death meant absolutely nothing to me.

>There were a few scenes that annoyed me, like the two sequential musical numbers for seemingly no reason. The song was run-of-the-mill and the dancing just felt like a waste of animation budget. Also, when Nibi died the boat scene with Oni was cringeworthy and threw moral-ambiguity completely out the window. It shouldn't have been there.

I'll leave it there.

Nice copy paste, here a (you) for effort.

What did I copy and paste?

Pretty nice finale. I'm guessing the adaptation ended at volume 3 or early volume 4 judging from reading the available translation. But it might be more if the fight scene in the manga was drawn out more.

By all mean you can take it back, it's user opinion that OP want.

to save millions

I hate this little faggot so much.

Pinko is love, pinko is life.

There's no way she's not getting dicked every day.

Thinking she is the cutest around when pic related is kill but others still around.

i thought it was enjoyable but too slow and also pretty as fuck
just like grimgar

>Neri and Ema
In the end, we really were the Children of the Whale.

>literally became a touhou
That's just crazy.

Was this a proposal?

Just a death pact to let falaina suck the life outta them.Though I hope they get a better boat or maybe try eating a bit of falaina to get some of that life span seeing the emotion sucker nous grant them emotion when eaten,

I think so.

All aboard the S2 never boat.

>uncensored handholding
They just don't care about the BD sales, do they?

Now that it's over, were they gay?

I seem to have a different opinion than most. I thought the first 6 episodes were some of the best content that was coming out this season at the time. Every week I was blown away by how well they represented the culture, how well they showed the two different cultures clashing (falania and skylos) how much I was actually made to care for the characters (even though a lot of them were kind of troupy). The art was awesome with a Mushishi-esque visual crescendo scene in showing up in almost every episode (the star locusts for example). Most importantly it was how well the show communicated it's emotional atmosphere to the viewer, almost every episode had me tearing up over something with the episode before Skylos attacked for the second time making me full on cry.

Then it kinda fell off the wagon. Pacing was bad, action was bad, pink, Pink PINK. It was rolling at an 8 or 9 at the start but I'm probably gonna give it a solid 7/10. I really hope with one of those ending cards saying "the journey will continue" S2 isn't too far off. Also I want to impregnate this tiny titty monster.

That's funny. I finally finished grimgar a few nights ago after leaving it in limbo since whenever it was airing weekly. I didn't realize how similar these two projects were until now.

Slow moving stories with unconventional art styles. Heavy focus on still shot compositions and use of insert songs. Heavy emotional hooks (character death and feelings of despair and loss). Both also had pacing issues too.

I stopped watching at Episode 3 or 4 when that pink haired edge lord showed up and completely shat all over what the first few episodes built.
Never have I seen a show go from really cool and interesting to laughably bad and off-putting in a single scene.

I guess I should watch the rest now that it's over, if just so I can make fun of it.

>I guess I should watch the rest now that it's over, if just so I can make fun of it.
No, you better not. It only got worse.

Great art, great animation, every single goddamn character was attractive, awesome music.

But the fucking storyline execution was so
mindnumbingly
BORING.

They had a 2 cour story and cut it down to 1 cour and fucked up the pacing. And it's frustrating because randomshit like Nichijou gets a full 24 episodes while stuff like this and Houseki no Kuni get fucked over.

On a positive note, I really wanted to dominate that little fuckboi Suou.

It was a fun ride friends. This is probably gonna be one of the last threads we get unless S2 happens.

Did anyone get the official release of volume one? I got it last week and it's pretty nice. I like the author's story of finding Chakuro's diary.

I love it, and will miss this artstyle and Lykos. OST when?

I'm going to miss nee-san most, best girl with Lykos in second place.

SDT for
Sexually devastated team

S2 when?
I can't get around why always that shoujo-shit esque anime that got stylish adaptation. from Kuzu no Honkai to this one now.

Post Lykos lewds.

semen demon

Just because they were in love with each other doesn't mean they were gay.

Pink being a cute faggot.

Just some healthy male camaraderie, which you shouldn't ruin with that filthy mind of yours.

>Pacing was bad, action was bad, pink, Pink PINK
These were all huge problems in the first six episodes, though.

It was terrible. The only decent characters either died early or never did anything. The plot was nonsense. The action scenes were infuriatingly poorly done. The whole thing just meandered around for a bit and then ended. It looked nice, but that's it.

All it was good for was teaching me yet again that I shouldn't be so hesitant to drop things. Everyone who quit when the edgelord showed up were right.

Why were several characters barefoot on the mud whale? They wore sandals when they were outside

Liked the setting, liked the story, liked the visual style (art direction and character designs), though they obviously went with the route "more polish even if we should sacrifice movement" so not much sakuga. Liked the music.

Now waiting for Tsutsumi's OST.

I haven't caught up with it in full yet, makes me sad that it seems to be so underrated in both the west and japan

Not even Ginshu was enough to save it, S2 doesn't seem likely

best girl

The whole show is all over the place, I don't really know what to make of it.

>we truly were... the children of the whales
really?

I'm glad I didn't drop the show.

Pretty but dumb

The music and atmosphere have you under the impression that something amazing and spectacular is happening but it isn't happening.

The entire Noose thing needs to be hanged as a dumb plot point of many that is evident that the writers were just leaving fallbacks so they don't write theirselves into a corner

characters were annoying
combat was uninteresting
technology was uninteresting
Magic was neet but never elaborated on aside from nous giveth

Overall pretty poor, nice visuals, good music that rarely fits everything else poop

Was he a more important character than I thought he was?

>The entire Noose thing needs to be hanged as a dumb plot point
What the fuck? The Nous are cool as shit.

I didn't expect him to get turned out so fast, the pink little ho.

I dont think masoo is anyone important but he did help the kids at the start and helping to fend off the attacks. I guess Ouni fills his "strong dude" slot in chakki party now.

Literal Deus ex machina just chilling

>deus ex machina
Explain.

Maybe not Machine, but literal part of God that is evolving just waiting to sprout

I laughed when he outright said about the need to ingratiate himself to orka.Shame no more of his antics now.

That doesn't answer the question, and now I'm not sure you even know what deus ex machina is. What exactly is your complaint about the nous? Put it in normal words.

Nous is made for asspulls it's the omnipotent mcguffin that will end up doing anything needed

> will end up
Pointless speculation (unless you're a mangafag, in which case you know more than I do). Based on the anime, I haven't seen any real asspulls out of them so far - they power boats and give people magic in exchange for something, both of which are tied up with key features of the world clearly established at the beginning, and then there's Neri/Ema with their vague magic shit, but I don't see how that's any different from any other vague-magic-user characters in media. The way the empire seems to have structured its society around the nous is also nice.