100th anniversary of Japanese animation video

youtube.com/watch?v=4t-GV4XcJak

With a couple of exceptions like Eva and Doraemon, every anime that matters is here.

There's spoilers galore btw, especially for stuff like Madoka.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LGpD4I3tqH4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Maybe Eva and Ghibli were too expensive.

>2117
I wonder how will anime look like by then.

No Urusei Yatsura or any Rumiko shows aren't in it either. And I didn't see any Kyoani shows either. Might be a studio thing because I didn't see any JC staff as far as I can tell, at least none of their iconic shows. And like was said no Ghibli either.
I thought they missed pokemon, but it just barely made it in.

>Etotama
What a surprise.

I wished it posted the years

attack no. 1 is good

>Ghibli
There's literally so much WMT in that video though.

>not a single KyoAni shit there
BTFO

I'm surprised K-On wasn't there. It was the biggest hit for quite a while, and gave birth to idol shows.

>every anime that matters is here.
>Samurai 7
>Pedal

>Etotama
>Bungou Stray Dogs

He didn't say that every anime there mattered.

>no Kon
>no Yuasa
>no Oshii
>no Gainax
>no Kyoani
>all those shounenshit and idolshit
What's the deal with this video?

Nothing. We'll all be dead.

>K-On
>gave birth to idol shows

>K-ON gave birth to idol shows
what

>No Yuri On Ice
>no Macrosss...at all
>no Haruhi

Holy shit! Everything up until the 90s were on point though but it feels like they just completely randomized the rest of the list outside the big hits like Your Name.

Current idol shows

>Everything up until the 90s were on point though
No it wasn't, it was missing just as much important stuff fucked as the rest of it.

>no 桃太郎 海の神兵
to the trash it goes

The most important anime that was missed was Eva everything else was on point.

No, you retard, not in the absolute slightest.
Do you even know what K-On is? It isn't an idol show in any sense of the word.

Utena and Giant Robo is also missing. The Patlabor series as well oh and Ghost in the Shell

>Gankutsuou

That was a pleasant surprise, didn't think japan appreciated it that much.

I know it isn't an idol show but it is a music show with plenty of side singles that were also big hits in the charts.
What I meant by comparing K-On was in the sense that they became a hit with their songs as well letting VA cash in money for singles in whichever character's voice.

>every anime that matters is here
>no re:zero
nice bait.

Doraemon, Urusei Yatsura, didn't see any Cutey Honey, literally nothing by Gainax, no Ghibli movies, no Space Adventure Cobra, no Dirty Pair, I could go on and on.
For some reason Time Bokan also only got like half a second of screentime.

wait my jap gf said atom is the first anime and it's only 60 year olds
who is lying here

It was the first anime that aired on TV

>in the sense that they became a hit with their songs as well letting VA cash in money for singles in whichever character's voice.
Macross Frontier did the same a year before K-On. Its music probably even outsold K-On. And it was about actual idols.

I loved it but why the hell was Etotama there? That was weird

>Doraemon,
Already mentioned in the OP that it wasn't present which is completely baffling
>Urusei Yatsura, didn't see any Cutey Honey
Not prestige enough
>Gainax
I can only imagine is due to their more otaku focused titles that this sort of compilation wanted to avoid but then again Etotama is on there. No Eva is a huge miss though,
>Ghibli movies
The fuck you think World Masterpiece Theater is?
>Space Adventure Cobra, no Dirty Pair,
Not prestige enough

>Time Bokan
Its just the first series and Yatterman that re represented and they were among the most popular anime of the 70's so you couldn't skip them.

I'm honestly surprised that Dougram and Ideon got mentioned

>s2 confirmed

Yet neither are on the list. I honestly would have preferred both of them to represent the 00s over Code Geass

It's not just EVA. They spent so much time on anime from 70s and 80s, but then almost instantly skimmed through 90s and went straight for middle 00s.

Is this trolling or genuine stupidity?

By current trends there will be 2000 anime per season, mostly 2 minute episodes with both OP and ED.

>all of those
>not prestigious enough
You're out of your mind, those aren't prestigious enough but Etotama is?
Seriously, I don't know what universe Cutey Honey or UY is less prestigious than half the stuff they showed, also there was no Devilman, you're not seriously about to tell me Devilman isn't popular and famous enough now?
Also World Masterpiece Theatre is not a Ghibli movie, and it doesn't compare to My Neighbor Totoro or any of their movies in terms of notoriety.

I'm sure they have reasons for why so much important stuff is missing but don't even begin to pretend this is a good selection, or at least pretend the early selections were any better than later selections.

>2117 the year of the Teekyuu
i'm okay with this

>I can only imagine is due to their more otaku focused titles that this sort of compilation wanted to avoid
But Love Live AND Idolmaster is there?

>Urusei Yatsura, didn't see any Cutey Honey
>Space Adventure Cobra,
Not prestige enough
You're out of your mind

>Seriously, I don't know what universe Cutey Honey or UY is less prestigious than half the stuff they showed
I'm pretty sure AKIRA is more prestige than two silly comedies that were popular in their hay day but aren't relevant nowadays.
>also there was no Devilman, you're not seriously about to tell me Devilman isn't popular and famous enough now?
Devilman is more famous for its manga than its anime in fact most of its anime adaptations were trash
>Also World Masterpiece Theatre is not a Ghibli
Most of Ghiblis animators worked on WMT

>Season 110 never

I think that whole prestige thing goes out the window when Etotama is in there.

>But Love Live AND Idolmaster is there?
Those are mainstream hits

>You're out of your mind
They're not.

Like I said the list feels randomized from the 90s onward.

Etotama is far from the worst show there.

>Love Live
>iM@S
>mainstream

I never said it was bad, I'm just confused how that made it but, like Eva didn't

How is Urusei Yatsura not a mainstream hit? There's no way you're telling me FSN:UBW is prestigious enough to be in here but Macross isn't

Bruh, just because it's on the side of trains doesn't make them mainstream. Like, Madoka I can buy being a mainstream hit because it got in newspapers and shit but not those two. I'm not complaining, I just feel like at a certain point shit got randomized

>song opens with jam project singing
Oh boy.

My girls Momo and Mami were there, so I do not care.

Love Live is incredibly mainstream
>How is Urusei Yatsura not a mainstream hit?
Ask yourself this. Does UY hold the same cultural relevance in Japan as Gundam or was it the most watched TV anime of the 80s like Touch? What did it do that was different for its time?

>love live
>not mainstream
You are mistaken if you think LL is pandering to idol loving otaku only. It went full mainstream in Japan. It's advertised everywhere. Big part of its fanbase is female.

Well considering it was the first harem comedy ever and how popular Lum was, yes, I would say so.

Love Live was on newspapers. Its the anime that embodies Japan's cultural appreciation of idols and arguably tge most popular anime of the decade.

Joe was there and that's all that matters

In the recent NHK best anime of all time poll it got into top 100 (#79). It's even above Akira. And that's considering the list was heavily skewed towards more modern anime because there were too many young people voting.

>the first harem comedy ever
Yeah...that's something you want to put on your list embodying the joy of Japanese animation, the first harem comedy! How about the fact that it was the first anime to use popular well known artists for its Opening and Ending themes that weren't exclusively tailor made for the show? So without UY music cross promotion with anime would never be a thing.

Digitial animation was a mistake.

>AKIRA is more prestige
Akira wasn't the only thing there, also see >Also World Masterpiece Theatre is not a Ghibli
>if I cut off his words it invalidates his statement!
I said Ghibli MOVIES, specifically My Neighbor Totoro which absolutely eclipse World Masterpiece Theatre on all fronts.

>NHK best anime of all time poll
You mean that rigged poll in which garbage like K was ranked above UY?

>My Neighbor Totoro which absolutely eclipse World Masterpiece Theatre on all fronts.
You mean the short kids movie that aired before Grave of the Fireflies is more prestige that the series that opened up Japanese anime to the world?

UY is a very undeniably influential anime. First whatever comedy or not, you really can't even begin to argue that the most popular and famous work of the richest female managka, and one of the most popular female anime characters of all time in Japan, is a mere footnote.

>no Ghost in the Shell
>no Jin-Roh
>no hokouto no ken
>no Eva
>no Gurren Lagann
>no satoshi kon
>no redline
>no Ghibli movie
>Pedal

Nips legendary shit taste never fail to amaze me.

>rigged
Don't be retarded. That's simply how big popularity polls with broad audience works. It includes lots of young casuals, normalfags and in the case of K fujos who don't give a single fuck about some harem anime from 30 years ago they never even heard about. That's why the top is filled with Love Live and Tiger&Bunny.
So getting rank #79 in that kind of poll only proves importance and notability of Urusei Yatsura.

>That's simply how big popularity polls with broad audience works.
You are so naive it hurts.

Sure, creators of K paid NHK to get their anime into top 100.
Lurk fucking more, retard. I'm surprised that after Osomatsu and YoI there are still newfags on Sup Forums who don't know about fujo power.

Yes. I do mean that fully and wholly. The Japanese absolutely love Totoro, actually it's loved worldwide, also helps that unlike World Masterpiece Theatre, Totoro is still used everywhere.
Speaking of which I don't know why this discussion is even being had since World Masterpiece Theatre IS NOT a Ghibli production anyway, so it's inclusion doesn't change the fact that there are no Ghibli works in the video.

And you're so retarded that it hurts, please go elsewhere else with your silly, retarded, baseless, crazy theories.
Unless you happen to have any proof of the nonsense you're saying.

>Etotama
Wait, I don't remember that scene from there.

I think we can all agree that OP video needs Barefoot Gen and its very famous scene of Japan getting nuked.

>a poll conducted on twitter.
>no way it cam be rigged at all

>THIRTY fucking seconds for 17-56? (Don't remember when Hakujaden was screened)
>no puppets
>no Noburou Oofuji
>no Kenji Masaoka

So much for "mattering"

Then you are a faggot of the highest caliber

Ah shit sorry I didn't see that one of the Chibikuro Sambo films was there. Such bad attention.

>a poll conducted on twitter.
It wasn't, retard. At least google it.

>11:15
Dropped.

>Ah, I'm finally free from my family, let's see how the discussion in my thread is goin-

FFS, everytime.

Anons, I never said that the anime which appeared in the video are the only ones that matter, what I said was that MOST of the anime which DO matter are there. There's a huge difference between those two statements.

An anime not appearing in this video doesn't mean that it isn't important, there could be other unknown factors at play here like permission issues or whatever. Don't take it so personally that your favourite Ghibli movie isn't there.

It was you fucking idiot

I will take issue that the first dude that did animation with CEL in Japan (big fucking deal) is not in it. (Everything else is sweet though, it even remembered Yoji Kuri!)

>Etotama
As the only person in the world with Etotama in its top 10 best anime of all time, today I feel happy.

>gankutsuou
can't say i was expecting that.

>No Claymore
>No Kara no kyokai
>No Trigun
Nope

>Trigun
>Though the series received a lukewarm response from native Japanese audiences
>Despite its relative popularity in the West, Trigun never gained widespread appeal to Japanese audiences

>no urusei yatsura
>no early lupin
>no macross
>no eva
>no ideon
>no hadashi no gen
>no totoro
>no crayon shin-chan
>no doraemon
>no sazae-san
What the fuck? Yet they put shit like garden of words, bungou no stray dogs, and fate UBW?

Shit taste as it.

They should have just put Miyazaki in darkness for the last 5 minutes.

I just feel it's so weird to have Etotama in there. It makes no sense

Best CGI usage for a TV series ever? Maybe, just a guess.

>no early lupin
I'll defend that one by how it seems they used recent entries to represent an entire franchise like how they used Sun/Moon Pokemon instead of the original series or FSN:UBW instead of the Deen anime

>>no crayon shin-chan
second to last anime
And it seems they only went with one rendition per series, so the Lupin there counts. Yeah what this guy said.

>Yu Yu Hakusho
Nice

It wasn't, you retard. It was on nhk's site. It was even periodically posted on Sup Forums so that people from here could vote too. But since you're from Sup Forums you obviously don't know about it.

There's even a fucking video guide for absolute brain dead retards like you: youtube.com/watch?v=LGpD4I3tqH4

While that's a factor, there were people saying "the ones in here are culturally significant to Japan/avoiding otaku focused titles" which I sort of get but then we have stuff like FSN and SAO in there

Explain the others then. Literally every series I listed is iconic to a degree especially the last two.

>the universe is 15 billion years old
>anime is just 100 years old
>you were born right in the frame of time where this existed
How does that makes you feel.

I didn't explain the others intentionally because I don't know. I'm especially confused as to how Sazae-san and Eva aren't there

Ideon and Shin-chan were in there though

>Bungou Stray Dogs

Same. I don't even know why. I can't even come up with a single explanation

>No Cardcaptor Sakura
>No Ghibli
>No Eva
>No Doraemon
>No K-On or any KyoAni for that matter

>Series like Lupin and Pokemon are placed later on despite their history earlier

Who the fuck edited this?