What's Sup Forums's opinion on the fully colored version of the Akira manga which was released in the west back in the...

what's Sup Forums's opinion on the fully colored version of the Akira manga which was released in the west back in the 90's?

I remember it being like $60 bucks when I saw it in a bookstore back in 1999.

got the first volume of Ranma 1/2 instead.

It's pretty bad (only saw scans), but the European coloring of the same time by Glénat was probably even worse (bad printing on top of bad coloring).
Inking is so fucking great it's a shame to cover it. They should have paid decent comics or franco-belgian watercolor colorists.
Never gonna happen though.

I really hate that it's flipped, so I can't get past that.

black and white is the way to go

I prefer the black and white version, it just looks better in my opinion.

Good post and good digits.

>dem digits
Nice

I've never seen a good looking full color manga. Western comics can do it, I don't know why manga always looks like shit in color.

I came here to check'em

Can someone tell me what the manga is about after Tetsuo got killed? I can't even figure out what happens next. Is it the same type of monster of the 50+ chapters shit?

I like Dragon Ball in color

Tetsuo dies at the end of the manga. The movie got an anime original ending.

Something like Akira creates a lot of striking value contrasts with the linework.
If its colored it either loses the hatching in values that match the scenes or it just looks off because it goes easy on the value to let linework show through, muddying the perception of the scene.

READ THE FUCKING MANGA

So in the manga there's no point of Akira at all?

Akira plays a much bigger part in the manga since he isn't dead in that version.

In the manga, Akira is just some kid who got sidelined in his own manga, got blamed for everything wrong with the world and was frozen because he raged when his friend was killed.

it was colored by Marvel because at the time b&w comics didn't sell. B&W were relegated to indie comics.

I like the colored version a lot. I think it's done well and doesn't hurt the art at all.

One Piece looks better in color
Jojo is 50/50

the big difference between the manga and anime is that akira is in the manga, the resistance/terror cell kei is part of kidnaps him near the beginning of the manga and escapes the facility with him and the first half of the manga is trying to understand what he is and evading the police robots and military.

Then he explodes, destroy neo-tokyo, and the second half of the manga is about all the character living in the rubble of neo-tokyo, with Tetsuo running the "Great Neo-Tokyo Empire" and fucking bitches while Akira plays with rocks, Kaneda and Joker from the clown gang team up to find Kei, who has joined up with that old lady you briefly see for like a second in one panning shot of neo-tokyo in the movie, who has teamed up with the psychic midgets from the military base to teach her psychic powers so she can kill Akira and Tetsuo.

At the same time, an infiltration team of japanese-american special forces operatives infiltrate the rubble of neo-tokyo with special biological warfare agents to kill psychics with, the colonel also gets his hands on a special laser pointer linked up to the laser satellite SOL, and Kaneda (gifted with the cool techno bike he just HAS in the movie by Joker who also found out where to get the laser cannon thingie) and all four groups converge on the neo-tokyo olympic stadium to try to kill Tetsuo and Akira, and after Kei, Kaneda and finally the colonel fucks up killing tetsuo, Tetsuo crashes the laser satellite into a US aircraft carrier, then teleports back in time to get shot with the biological weapons by the US soldier causing tesuo to go baby-KAAAAANEEEEDAAAA-mode.

Then as they're trying to survive the ever expanding mound of flesh that was tetsuo, Akira explodes again.

Cue 10 chapters of speed-lines and explosition, flashbacks. A flashforward then happens, Kaneda and Kei are together and have formed a Great Akira Empire and they tell foreign aid workers to fuck off, The End.

It depends on the colorist and the fact that comic books are drawn to be colored so they use negative space differently

Really? I can't stand capeshit colorists.
Like this, just looks terrible and covers up the excellent linework with 10 tons of SHADOWS and BLOOM and gradients.

people who read colored manga (mainly jojofags) don't understand this
it's infuriating

there's no respect for the art its just ooh pretty colors when everything was composed for black and white in a magazine and it wasn't meant to be colored, or else it would be drawn differently

The fact that shadows are solid blacks in comics is why they look cleaner in color

True it's also why there's a big divide between the people who like The Killing Joke recolor vs the drabber original, it's a process

With recolors like that the writers and artists are always raving that that's how they wanted it, so with TKJ and Sandman and Flex Mentallo recolors they were always meant to be color comics, it is just that the originals were a lot better palette wise, rather than weekly manga not meant to be colored in the first place

yeah like if you compare the line work in Batman Black and White to the monthly it would look completely different

It's shitty, but it has one good thing going for, the actual pages that were paint colored on the original manga are in full color and in very big resolution quality on these volumes.

that was the wrong picture but you know what i mean

I own it and it's pretty lazy work