ITT: Anime where the 3 episode rule does not work

ITT: Anime where the 3 episode rule does not work

Please wait until 4

the six episode does work in this case

I was planning on watching this, why doesn't the 3 episode rule work here?

Watch it full, at least twice.

Because the entire first season is the same shit over and over, with no real plot happening until the final couple of episodes. I couldn't tell you if the other seasons are worth watching but I assume they're garbage too.

All of them. It's not a rule, just drop it when you get bored.

>Spoonfeed me pls

all of them

the three episode rule is stupid

20 episode rule

I'd argue that it does and it doesn't because episode 4 is when they actually start going into the abyss. The 3 episode rule may actually work in this case because once they go down there you'll want to know what the show will be like from here on.

Tons of people drop early on because the first 3 episodes are really slow or because the information given isn't really coherent until around episode 9.

Madoka is literally the reason we have the 3 episode rule, idiot

lurk moar

>The 3 ep rule is an Sup Forums thing

I think that if someone hates the atmosphere and experience of the first episode, even if it's relatively slower, they're not gonna be inclinded to like the rest anyway

>ep 2
>Still no pirating on pirate ship.

More boring than Outlaw Star. You can't make this shit up.

This show was a very enjoyable fever dream

Honey and Clover

You need 4-5 eps to really feel for the characters.

SamFlam was AOTY

This.
1 episode is more than enough to tell if a show is worth it or not.

It has never worked and has always been an arbitrary rule.

Shows can completely shit the bed at the last 2 episodes and ruin everything. Just look at Kado. And an 100 episode show can be bad for 24 episodes and then the rest is gold.

You can never truly be sure of these things unless you watch it all.

What was his name again, Sup Forums?

Spark Mandrill

They're anti-art plebs then, who cannot distinguish cheap ideals of entertainment from artistic merit. In essence, they do not and cannot appreciate anime.

Slicer Simian

Gambian Genocider

i got like 7 episodes in and backlogged it. after hitler showed up i had absolutely no clue what the fuck was going on

The 3 episode rule has
1. never been exclusive to Sup Forums
2. existed well before madoka

Madoka's twist is in the 3rd episode specifically because of the 3 episode rule.

Dropped it after episode 1, yep.

Nanoha really drags its feet in the first few episodes. Once the child abuse kicks in it gets pretty fun.

a classic example

Since good anime tend to pull in people in 1st ep by putting more thought and resources into it so rule 3 is just a way to get into some bad animes.
If you talk about building characters and getting into a show that way it goes way beyond 3 episodes and you might start get into it after 6.
There is no good rule besides "wait until large number of people accrete to a general and trust them saying the show is good"

Aurora-senpai.

Looks like Misato and Ritsuko

Gintama takes a bit more than 3 episodes to really get going.

That's a really good description of the show. It was so fucking weird and I can't wait for a 2nd season

Animegataris, and quite literally discussed in episode 3

> "wait until large number of people accrete to a general and trust them saying the show is good"
That's a recipe for getting overrated bullshit.
There is no rule, period.

agreed. the first episode that i actually enjoyed was 12 or 13 then it picked up from there. the previous ones were really boring and hard to get through
i'm only on ep40 and it's really great so far

of a
a date rape

>madoka pioneered japanese animation

madoka fags need to be stopped.

3 episodes?
Try season one.

Casshern Sins I guess.
Especially considering the best episode is 4.

>There is no good rule besides "wait until large number of people accrete to a general and trust them saying the show is good"
get out

More like 12 episode rule.

forgot how weird the art looked in the first VN.

this was top tier from the start
part of why it's the greatest show ever created

>advocating generals

Kill yourself crossboarding piece of shit. All generals on this board should be purged and posters should be permabanned.

Looks pretty good to me

When it aired most people complained that it was dragging before the story really picked up with ep 12 and I have to agree. Of course it's different if you watch the thing in one go.

In extremely rare cases only. The three episode rule isn't exactly something to be rigid about either, but dropping something after one is most likely because it doesn't cater to whatever fetish fuel you require, not that the show itself is good or bad.

One thing you can always tell from 1 episode is the writing of the characters.
Some just act insane and arent believable. Like the potato anime the blonde wasn't a character I was going to follow for an extended period of time.

S;G is a shit show. The VN shits all over it. If you liked the show and how they portrayed Okabe/crew dynamics you have shit taste

This guy knows

cringe

In general, unless episode one is just really awful (hilariously awful) like your Musashi Gundoh's, then what I am looking for is genre stuff. I'm out as soon as it smells like yaoi.

I would argue, though, that first episodes are the worst places to judge writing of any characters. In most shows, the characters are just some kind of generalized form at the beginning (a trope or archetype if you will). The subsequent episodes are supposed to flesh them out and develop them, assuming that happens at all. The potato show you're referring to did that to a degree with Yuu, though your mileage may vary. Inevitably the situation with those two was more about the world around them and indulging in a bit of comparative analysis of our own than it was about the characters, but they do get some development.

I was hooked by episode 2. But I have to agree that it's a bit dry between episode 4 and 12.

This, took me one episode to realise it was trash.

I liked the first episode more than the whole middle part of the anime

Well, actually it was episode 3 that got me interested in continuing to watch Madoka. I was almost giving up on it with the first two episodes.

You need twelve episodes for this one.

20 episode rule

What? The show was good from the start, and arguably peaked halfway through the first season, I still liked it after that but it was really inconsistent.

I dropped it AFTER the "good" part
its just so boring

Charlotte.

Without an objective, set in a done to death setting, with 4 seasons worth of slow pacing. I prefer Baccano.
Yes, it is.

Mecharambe

They needed to stretch it. You couldn't have felt as sorry for Okabe otherwise. The peaceful experimenting days were absolutely necessary.
Not only did that create motivation for Okabe (I want to back to those peaceful, tranquil times!), but these episodes also put on some flesh on the skeleton called Steins;Gate. Characters were being developed, albeit at a leisurely pace.
Would've you reacted in the same way if Moeka and her SERN buddies busted their house in the third episode? I don't think so.

Lucky Star.

I was on the fence until about EP5. Trigger has this habit of making eh beginnings but really good middles.

It was only about 18 before they lose the colony and the real show begins.

it's the artist who made Black Rock Shooter IIRC

Hunter x Hunter

Bored out of my mind until mid zoldyck arc

Black Clover
Soul Eater

Same. Its pretty mediocre at best at first, but at some point it just clicks and keeps getting better. Not sure how I got through the initial slog though.

This show was overall a confused mess. There were brief flashes of good ideas but ultimately very boring executions and boring characters. Maybe if the story had focused more on I-guy and less on the infinitely less interesting X-on + teleporting chick it would have been better. But even then the villain was completely silly.

Yeah, it's a 6/10 at best. Thing is, they more or less treated it like an art project, and not an actual anime. It could've been better.
The magical girls were cute, though.

I absolutely loved SamFlam from the first episode though. It gave a great impression of a Kickass-like story with some great humor, and even when the show changed later on I continued to love it.

A show doesn't have to show all its cards in the first 3 episodes but it really helps to start off strong and get you attached so that you can keep watching more than 3 episodes.

One of the few non psychotic lesbians in anime.

Just wanted to let you know that I appreciated this one.

Fucking this. I loved this show.

I always thought it was 5? Sheet

Kinda the same tone throughout the whole show, if you didn't like the beggining you probably won't want to stay around to the end.

The show was pretty boring and had a weak villain and underwhelming ending.

Winston

Same.

Murder Monkey

I'll say this, I legitimately liked the Sky Show as a song.

Beheading bonobo

Boring show would not recommend

Decapitarambe