I've watched ten episodes and I haven't laughed once. Does this ever pick up?

I've watched ten episodes and I haven't laughed once. Does this ever pick up?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CAvMliQYFkc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

No, you'll never pick up. Now fuck off.

It's kind of like VOTOMs. It was great once but it didn't age well.

No, just drop it and watch the superior Rumiko works like Ranma 1/2 and Maison Ikkoku.

No, you're hopeless. Drop it and go back to your pleb shows.

>superior
>like Ranma 1/2
In no possible sense of the word.
Maison Ikkoku is debatable though.

I watched for the cute ice girl. My standards aren’t high

you have no taste. Off yourself,millennial.

I may not have laughed, but I can remember the premise being based off a dumb misunderstanding.

>Laughing at videos of any kind
Must be nice to be such a pleb

No. All Rumikoshit is unfunny garbage and her romance shit is even worse, full of stupid misunderstandings.

I imagine her old manga if they were been made today.
Everyone shitting on Ranma cause fanservice and ecchi.
Everyone shitting on maison ikkoku cause cuckoldry, and Kyoko being a second handed slut.
Lum... just the fact that is episodic. Cause nowaday episodic anime/manga are the evil.

Ranma is a cheap ripoff with gender bender and martial arts to make it looks different.

Urusei Yatsura is like The Beatles of anime, in the sense that everyone hypes it up as the best and most inventive thing ever, but actually it isn't at all. Actually, Urusei Yatsura is about 100x more guilty of this than The Beatles. Anime fans aren't very smart, though.

No. Completely different.

If you're not a 15 year old girl why are you watching a series written by a woman for that audience? She makes financially viable stuff. You don't have to like it. It's old at that so it doesn't even have any of the professionalism modern comedy anime have. It's really just poorly timed. The language barrier on top of that means it just isn't for you.

I didn't know any of that, I just heard it was a comedy, and some of these designs caught my eye.

I never laughed to UY or Ranma either, still enjoyed reading them though. Maison had a few genuine laughs from me.

?, yo just get to gto and return later ,.

i wouldnt think that anyone above the age of 25 would be able to enjoy the shit show that is urusei and unironically think of it at funny. only thing you should bother with is beautiful dreamer, and the only reason youd wanna do that is for the visuals.

If a comedy doesn't make you laugh it's okay to stop watching. I personally gave this show in particular 6 episodes. Just rewatch Arrested Development again.

I don't know what that is, but I see your point.

>15 year old girl
Literally everything she has done is shonen

You should give it a shot. It's fairly popular.

>female
>writing shonen
Come now.

I hate this place

Not your safespace. You liking girly manga is fine by me. I won't judge you any differently. It's the source material that I'm judging you on.

>any of the professionalism modern comedy anime have

I think he is implying that the other person is implying that a woman can't write shonen because woman can only write shoujo and it is their gender that defines the genre of their work.

Simply put, both of them are retarded.

Nigga, Ranma is male Ryuunosuke.

This image really captures my gripe with Gaki No Tsuaki.While it can sometimes be very funny alot of the time the joke is that they act silly or absue eachoter,.

Dunno how can you not like the first 10 episodes. But anyways, it gets even better after they drop the format of two episodes in one and concentrate in one story per one episode.

But if you're really not enjoying the journey you should watch something else.

It's kind of a shame people don't enjoy this classic, probably one of the best comedies ever written.

You're calling me retarded because you assumed something? Am I getting that right? Fuck off.

I enjoy the cuteness of Lum.

from what I've seen it lacks wit.

I'm trying to watch the show myself. And it is very hard to get through some of the early episodes. But I know it gets better later on because I got into this show with the movies and some of the later episodes. The few later episodes I saw had some of the best animation quality of the 80s I've seen and were hilarious, especially the Christmas Special. And Movie 2 is still my favorite anime movie.

All that being said, I watched episode 6 last night and I chuckled at little. But it is tiring that everything is Ataru's fault when both girls are clearly plotting and telling what they're doing RIGHT in front of each other. Like they're literally fighting over Ataru within a few inches of each other and they still blame him for everything. This is the one aspect of the early show I think kills it. But this seemed really common in anime at the time. Kimagure Orange Road and Maison Ikkoku were even worse with it.

Aside from that, Ataru is the whole reason I watch this show. He is the anti harem MC. Actively seeks out girls, doesn't give a fuck about other people's feelings and tries to get away with as much as he can. And his voice is one of the best seiyuu in anime history. Aside from that, Shinobu is hot. But I know she loses.

I mean, a great part of the show is based on slapstick and physical comedy. But I think what it makes it great is the characters and their interactions. You should keep watching the show, it gets even better when Mendou (the rival of Ataru) is introduced.

youtube.com/watch?v=CAvMliQYFkc

I don't think it works if you see it all coming.

>Ataru is the whole reason I watch this show.
Ataru is pure fun. He gets into all kind of problems and adventures, but never loses his charm or optimism.

Is Ataru the most alpha anime protagonist ever?

Yes it does. You get to know this characters, their personalities and their lives. When they are together you get dynamite and matches. There's one episode with the entire city in mayhem because the entire class of Moroboshi want to get to buy lunch.

But if you're not enjoying it, you should drop it. I mean, if this kind of humor is not for you, you're not going to have a great time going through all the episodes.

wants to buy lunch*

not to the extent they telegraph everything.

Because that's the point. You get exaggerated characters doing exaggerated things.

>women
>writing

I'm not sure thats true, even if you know if someones going to get beat up, doesn't mean you should know how before it happens.

Virginia Woolf was a better writer than you'll ever be.

No need to make it personal. Sounds like you've got some insecurities you should see a shrink for.

I'm not that guy, but I think what he's saying is the jokes punchlines feel lacking because you see right away where they are going. I kind of have the same reaction.

Comedy writing is actually the hardest thing to do well. And at least in the early episodes of UY, they didn't hit this. But I don't blame the writers/storyboard artists entirely. The material they were working with was very erratic and constantly changing. Lum was suppose to be this evil devil in the beginning after all. And Ataru is like every negative attribute in a male character possible. This puts you into a corner when it comes to portraying a character as there's very little depth.

As time went on, they mellowed out Lum to basically be this perfect (ditzy) angel who only got mad when she was jealous. And focused a lot more on the large ensemble cast to create the tension, rather than Takahashi's typical love triangle setup she beats to death in the manga (and ever manga she does). Ataru also changes. He retains all his lecherous and mischievous tendencies, but starts to care about Lum secretly. And at times, he will restrain himself to please her. Whereas in the first season, he's just trying to get rid of her and grope any woman he can.

tl;dr early UY is one dimensional. The show adds more to the characters and comedy as it goes on.

But that's how it works there. You can obviously see what's going to happen and it's funny for how absurd it is. For example Lum getting jelaous of Ataru or Moroboshi and accidents with the entire world.
The first 25 episodes are not so good compared to the rest but the humor while it goes for a wilder and more experimental side it's still the same. Slapstick and comical interaction with the cast.

jealous*
and his accidents*

>Rumiko Takahashi
If her newer series are any indication, it will only get worse.

I recently tried watching it and dropped it after like 8 episodes
I guess it would have been good 30 years ago but these days it's really mediocre

No. I think it was always bad. Just like there's overrated shows that air today that are also bad without people calling it that.

Old anime is really an overrated concept. They were really just that much more unprofessional than today's anime.

This pretty much. I can still watch anime from the 80s and 90s and enjoy it, no matter how bad the animation is. UY was just slow and weird in the beginning. Got better as time went on though.

On the flip side, Ranma did the total opposite. Season 1 and 2 were great, then turned to shit after that. Takahashi shows just have trouble being adapted. Especially when she keeps control of the story.