The color contrasts in the right screenshot are complete shit. Where is the focus of that image supposed to be...

The color contrasts in the right screenshot are complete shit. Where is the focus of that image supposed to be? The blinding light taking up the center of the screen? The background that has scrubbed away any bit of detail with copious amounts of blur? The character whose details all blend together due to being a uniform shade while surrounded by bright, featureless light? Or maybe you're supposed to marvel at the floors and lockers because the rest of the image is so uninteresting that the fucking props begin to creep into the spotlight?

It's babby's first image of "art", drawing a completely generic and uninteresting scene with an exaggerated source of lighting, devoid of any main point, attributes, or focus. I guess for the studio's purposes that makes it very useful, since the same type of artbabbies will be impressed by that kind of garbage.

Compare to the image on the left, where the main character is firmly placed at the center of the shot, his overall light palette is directly placed in front of the darkest object in the shot to make him stand out as much as possible. Every detail of his outfit is separately highlighted: Dark necklace over a white shirt, tanned skin, dark hair, red belt buckle, beige pants, white shoes, with the dark sofa and table to firmly establish the perspective of the shot. Shortcuts like blur are unnecessary because the color layout on its own makes the character and their posture unmistakeably clear. The room itself follows a low-key mix of whites and browns, with a singular red chair and blue clock to give it some personality- just not enough to overshadow that of the main character.

Overall the scene on the left both characterizes the central figure in it, as well as the area it takes place in. It does this without cutting any corners visually, and and while still maintaining a coherent color palette that's consistent with the rest of the film. It's straightforward, it's complete, while the right image is not.

it's funny because it's unironically true

Why falseflag as a shaftfag? Sup Forums already hates them

What strikes you as false in his post?

Kyoanifags literally can't defend their shit.

all of them are third worlders in a cybersweatshop paid 50 cents an hour to flood this board with garbage posts

I sometimes think I'm pathetic, but then I realize there are people on this board who dedicate their lives to shitposting about an anime studio, and feel a little bit better.

>right: emulating camera.
>left: emulating power point

>right: poor visual direction
>left: good visual direction

don't be to harch on kyoani, they go for the trend of makoto shinkai with expert photoshop skill but poor layer consistency and taste of color. everyone thought that over saturated meant richness in colors right at the beginning, nothing to be ashamed of if you realize your lack of proper artistic judgment. left triggers me for not respecting scale object scale but been a monogatari thing, i understand the purpose for something otherwise unacceptable downright amateurish mistake. kyoani need to preserve a status quo and a name of a studio that gives a shit about working conditions and blablabla. even if it's at the cost of shooting themselves on the creative foot.

Kyoanifags have actually seen Kyoani shows which is more than can be said about you.

>kyoani shows:
>moe
>moe
>moe
>moe
>some more moe
i mean there's not exactly much reason to.

the preceding two posts were submitted by the same person

the preceding three posts were submitted by the same person

Moe is a feeling you have towards a character. It applies to all anime.

Seriously, where does this meme come from that any disagreement on Sup Forums has to be samefagging? Why do so many people believe this?

As a fan of a so-called arthouse studio, I'm impressed that you don't know about Expressionism.
Yes, things are very indeed very clear in the Shaft screenshot. You can see everything, and the colours are somewhat pleasant. But things are too mechanically placed. They lack personality - everything is pin-straight: it's as if he has entered a computer render of a room. There aren't any objects belonging to Araragi. There's not any insight to be had for the character, all this empty room yells is "the person living in this room is boring and has a life that's not exciting", which is clearly not the case, as Araragi indeed has a very exciting life. The red chair and the blue clock are giving "personality" to the room? Don't make me laugh.
Moving on to the Euphonium screenshot: Again, you're right. Some detail is indeed lost - you can't see shit outside, and the extra helping of blur doesn't help. But this shot is incredibly personal, and it reflects the state of the girl's mood. Now, to be honest, I have not watched Euphonium, but I don't need to have watched it in order to know what the girl is feeling. I'm pretty well accustomed to KyoAni's vistual style and their style of direction, and it's obvious that the girl is in deep thought; she's introspective, she may be considering to do something. It's pretty to look at, and there's certain emotional depth to it. And if have indeed watched it, it will be even more emotionally loaded.
These are two distinct styles, and I'm afraid that the right one works better in an visual medium. You're missing the tree for the forest when you're getting upset about "loss of detail" and "visual clarity".

>kyoani shows:
>stories told around a base of cute girls doing cute things as a way to pander to brainless faggots who use anime as their source of escapism, even going so far as to use the same body and facial designs in order to maintain their strong loyalty base
don't pretend you don't know what i mean.

I've always liked the doll-house aesthetic. Not really sure why you're trying to turn this into a competition though. The only winners are the audience.

>i don't actually know what i'm talking about, the post

Completely wrong. You have not seen Kyoani shows, just like I said you haven't. All you know is memes. You likely don't watch anime in general.

t. moefag can't argue back because he has no argument

why are you describir dogakobo?

You don't have arguments. You don't know what words mean and you have no knowledge of Kyoani shows.

the same guy is replying to himself again and again

See and answer the question.

i dont see any of your arguments that kyoani isn't moeshit though?

in this instance, it comes from the fact that the same guy is replying to himself again and again

Again, moe is a feeling you have towards characters. It applies to all anime. And you have never seen Kyoani shows and have no idea what you are saying.

Prove it.

Shaft is such a garbage studio, it's no wonder they are losing fans every year.

why don't you use the definition i provided here?

lost my sh*t at OP replying to himself again without even changing his IP adress

I don't care i like both.

Because your definition is ignorant gibberish.

what about it is ignorant or gibberish?

the fact that you can't argue against it?

gb2 Sup Forums

"Cute girls doing cute things" is not real. There is no such anime.

Pandering has never been proven to occur in anime.

There is nothing particularly escapist about Kyoani shows, and just because Westerners hate escapism doesn't mean it's bad.

Kyoani does not use the same designs over and over again, that's false.

he changes his prose style on occasion

Still waiting for evidence.

>false
fuck you too for making me google this

That's fan art. Thanks for further proving you have no idea what you are talking about.

Congrats you’re a funker now

Two cann play this game.

>3D rendered scene
>Still manages to get perspective wrong.
Why is that bed so huge?

scene on the right was a haunting scarey moment

scene on the left was a generic filler scene

I hope only a small number of people get baited by this

>generic filler scene
This is idiotic gibberish.

this thread was made solely to remind all the telenovelaspics that IRC gangsters dragged in after hibike to shitpost in fate threads

He’s right, kizu was unnecessarily drawn out into 3 films and has tons of filler moments because of it

if you think thats anything even resembling an argument you'd be autistic.
>mishmashing across time to try and make it seem less blatant
>have to cherrypick the two extremes of their inhouse artstyle, despite most of it being the cookie-cutter trash they use to profit off literal basement dwellers

if we were talking about the kyoani that doesn't try to pander to moefags we wouldn't be having this discussion

What I'm saying is that the left screenshot doesn't let you in on anything.
Nothing about Araragi's personality, nothing about his life. It looks like he was just planted in a room, and only thing I can tell is that he is somewhat relaxed.
Araragi doesn't even have any eyes or a mouth in that screenshot, so that's all I can extract from it. The girl in the second screenshot retains her eyes, so you have some extra clues as to what she is feeling.
So as an example, in a Shinbo production, a ruler would be drawn anally, it will have the notches down to the milimeter. But in a KyoAni anime, no matter the producer, they will carefully draw it in the, detail way, and then they will apply a filter, as you need to pay attention to the characters and their body language (something KyoAni excel at doing), and not to the scenery. They can do overcrowded visuals, and they can do great backgrounds, but they will not do it in a way that will distract you away from the character.

The image's argument is that you are wrong and it proves you are wrong. You also used fan art without even realizing it.

>mishmashing across time to try and make it seem less blatant
Kyoani has been producing shows since 2003, and Hyouka and K-On are only two years apart.

>have to cherrypick the two extremes of their inhouse artstyle
What cherry picking? What two extremes? What makes you think you know anything about what they do since you've never watched any of their shows?

>despite most of it being the cookie-cutter trash they use to profit off literal basement dwellers
Kyoani's shows are far, far from being at a "cookie cutter" level of quality, and their shows have nothing to do with "basement dwellers." And since you said LITERALLY, basements are also rare in Japan.

>if we were talking about the kyoani that doesn't try to pander to moefags
Pandering has never been proven to occur in the anime industry.

down to the milimeter, and it will stay that way. Even when you look at it from a distance, and it isn't very important for the scene, it will still have these notches. To a point where it doesn't look like it's drawn by a person, but computer-generated.

>kyoani vs shaft
Can someone explain to me why this meme exists? Is it just because these are the only two studios that newfags know by name?

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAH
oh you must be kidding me.
>trying to infer things about a series from a still
this thread was about visual fucking direction you absolute mongoloid, i don't know why you're trying to force the discussion to talk about what you can infer from the characters in each frame.
>oh wow, its a girl with her hand on her locker with green lighting. she must be sad.
also you have no idea what you're talking about at all with regards to visual technique at fucking all, and i'm not going to reply to you further. please stop and get off this site because you're either underage or a pretentious manchild.

scene on right was memorable, episode 11 @ 07:38

scene on left could be at anypoint within the 3 movies

I read your explanation and still don't get what's supposed to be wrong with the one on the right. Both images look fine to me.

just like how your intellect hasn't been proven to exist, faggot.

that being said,
>dude we're totally not pandering to yurifags even though the relationship is not even remotely similar to how it is in the manga

This

it's one shitposting IRC group who have been around since the initial wave of monogatari autism, kyoto animation just got involved because they are well known among easily manipulated new users

It's self-evident that I must have an intellect, and you are just trying to deflect.

>dude we're totally not pandering to yurifags even though the relationship is not even remotely similar to how it is in the manga
Where is your proof that pandering was involved?

One of these has a 95% success rate with each of their anime, compared to a industry average of 15-20%. One is almost consistent and it delivers the goods each and every time, even across different genres.
In an industry where only 1 in 10 anime make it big, it would be stupid not to like a studio which releases great anime 9.5 out of 10 times. Not only are that studio's releases critically acclaimed for their emotional depth, incredible visuals, and their consistency, but they're a dashing success.
I don't even need to point out which studio I'm talking about, as you should already know it by now. You know it in your heart.

>"Cute girls doing cute things" is not real.

That's what I said. Are you trying to impress me with your ability to copy and paste text? Why the fuck do people keep doing this?

Everything must become a console war apparently.

It's not enough to simply not enjoy something, you have to go to great lengths to explain in the most trivial of details why you were not only right to dislike it, but how everyone else is bringing about the apocalypse with their catastrophically bad taste. Bonus points if their post is mostly buzzwords and/or they complain about intangibles and aesthetic choices as if their personal tastes were objective truths.

I personally think they just crave that euphoric rush from the (You)s they summon.

Can’t wait until Shaft dies. They’ve already been blacklisted by Toho after Fireworks bombed

You tipped your hand with the "does not exist" thing and made the bait obvious, but people still fell for it so good work I guess.

They are Sup Forums users who have wanted to kill Sup Forums for many years. The only thing they knew about anime at the time was that K-on is a popular anime, so they decided that would be their Nintendo.

It doesn't exist and there was no bait.

Maybe, but this goes back further than Sup Forums or even gaming consoles. People make decisions every day, but they've found that the less utilitarian and more expensive it is, the more people have to rationalize their choices. People assume these choices into their identity, so much so that they get worked up whenever someone questions it. They've internalized it.

Think about how the old Mac vs. PC commercials were about culture and image, not actual products. Think about how Coca-Cola and Pepsi divides families. People are stupid little apes and they can't help but use the summation of humanity's entire technological existence to replay the battles their ancestors fought when one preferred the stick over the rock.

maybethey made rrrgi's pants the same colour as his skin because he's got dick for legs WOO

Calm down user, you sound mad.
They're two different artstyles and you're comparing apples and oranges. It's idiotic. It just seems you prefer something more avant garde.

I dunno I like the one on the right and that's all that matters to me

But why? The pretty colours?

It's not about which one is better, it's why they are constantly compared to each other and why shit wars are started about these two when there are so many other anime studios.

Who the fuck cares about Shaft when they can't meet one fucking deadline properly? Come back when they've learnt to keep basic business standard, stupid Shaftfag

Madhouse gets mentioned pretty often, too.

>tfw like both kyoani and shaft
Is it just me?

I've liked both of them over a decade but recently my faith in Shaft is dwindling. I don't remember Shaft being at this low any time in their history since Tsukuyomi. Absolutely disappointing performance

What's your problem with them recently? They're milking monogatari hard while being way too slow releasing content yeah, but 3gatsu was good at least.

>Where is the focus of that image supposed to be? The blinding light taking up the center of the screen?
No rule in cinema says that every shot has to have strong focal point. In fact, a shot where the bright background competes strongly with the presumed focal point can convey a feeling of being lost, alone, sad or confused. In fact, every thing that you complained about, the color contrast; the blur; the blending details, they all add up to a certain type of emotion that is clearly conveyed in the shot. I can't remember what the context of the scene is but those are exactly the things that this one shot alone conveys without the support of a soundtrack or the context of the previous and following shots. This is exactly the kind of embarrassing pseudo-intellectual art analysis one can expect to hear from a person who has just a few weeks ago learned about art and film fundamentals and now thinks he knows what he is doing. This is not to say that the shot on the right is some kind of top tier mastery of cinema. It's an okay shot, but your criticism and analysis of it is just cringe inducing. It's good that you know your fundamentals but you can't apply them for shit in analysis because you lack the ability see beyond the fundamentals.

Pretty much everything related to that Firework movie. The way Shaft treated the project, and other shows in order to deal with their management failure, was deplorable. Oh and the movie flopped, which is well-deserved given its zero to none production value. They better deliver a real impressive job next season with Fate Extra

In the first screenshot they intentionally slightly blend character with the rest of space. Moreover placing him in the center vanish any movement. There is no motion. In the second screenshot they intentionally overshadow their character while keeping them in focus and in action using a φ-grid. From direction both scenes are great.

I'm not saying the cinematography couldn't have been more pretty to look at, but you're clearly missing the point. The room is supposed to reflect the MC's state of mind. Now go read the LNs.

Brainlets can't handle that there's more than one right way to direct.

Left looks like the drew Araragi onto a filtered photograph

The reflection on the lockers is incorrect. The shadow on the floor indicates that the light source is parallel to the lockers plane (which by itself is incorrect since the room is lit by several large windows which diffract the light around, so there cannot be such a well-defined shadow). Why is the girl's reflection perpendicular to the lockers plane then?

Note that they actually drawn her backpack's reflection somewhat correctly, so why did they fuck up the girl's reflection so hard?

Well spotted. Do you think that it could've been fixed in the BDs?

Not sure what you're trying to say here, that the reflection should be tilted at an angle, following that red line you drew? Because that's not really how reflections work.

>her backpack's reflection somewhat correctly
Dumbfuck, there's no reflection on the bag, only shadow, and light direction isn't matter at all to reflection, only the angle between mirror and the object is matter.

Not him but there's a slightly noticieable reflection from the bag, look closely, and that's how it should look so i don't see the isue.

Not sure what the issue here is.

dude confused a shadow with a reflection

wtf they can't even proper rescale all that stock 3d models.

Someone made an image comparing Araragi to that chair model and concluded that either Araragi is a midget or the chair is ridiculously bulky and big. Does anyone still have it? I think it was made this year.

>i don't know why you're trying to force the discussion to talk about what you can infer from the characters in each frame.
Not him but if it's an anime that focuses on character's emotions, then that's what the visual direction is meant to be used for to make it work well for that anime. You can't separate the two aspects

>Araragi is a midget
Correct

>Kyoani uses filtered photogra-

Meanwhile, OP writes lengthy posts on an image board