Why does Hajime no Ippo have some of the best comedy in anime and manga when primarily comedy themed anime are so dull?

Why does Hajime no Ippo have some of the best comedy in anime and manga when primarily comedy themed anime are so dull?

Other urls found in this thread:

chansoku.com/archives/5926645.html
youtube.com/watch?v=Hpw3ItaYac0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You just have shit taste

Because comedy is about subversion. If you are informed you are supposed to be laughing, you need far stronger writing to carry the joke.

A good joke in the middle of a more dramatic setting is going to stand out.

As demonstrated, Ippo is a light sports drama, so when there's a scene like your video, It's an entertaining juxtaposition of a driven fighter focused on his sport face tanking blows to get an eyeful. Nosebleed is a nice cultural touch.

Anyways, point is you need to subvert something to be funny. When you expect comedy, it's not going to be nearly as funny as a well timed and executed joke to relieve the tension of a more serious story.

You find a kid getting punched into retardation funny, boy?

I was just about to make a thread

Ippo 1206

chansoku.com/archives/5926645.html

Last page

>comedy is about subversion

Even beyond Ippo's genre this is where Nips generally fuck up. They'll have a character do something ridiculous, have another character explain why it's ridiculous in a loud, exaggerated voice and then call it comedy. Or if they're feeling truly wild they'll have a tsundere hit the MC. Truly the height of comedy.

Because they lack Oxygen !

Good taste OP. This is literally the funniest scene i have ever seen in anime.

youtube.com/watch?v=Hpw3ItaYac0

What's being said here?

I dreamt Ipppo was getting a new trainer

Yes.

still can't believe Ippo fucking died

Check DG.

get a load of /new/

because for the first 300 chapters it had character building and characters are more fun when built right. Then it stagnated after ippo became the champion and started guarding with his face because his coach told him one of his super punches would win the fight.

"I need to go back to my roots"
"I need to become oxygen"

Last page is the confirmation of the sequel manga where Ippo becomes a chemist and discovers new applications of Oxygen. His new "Coach" will be an old-fashioned chemistry teacher who leads Ippo down a disastrous path....

DG?

This.
When you watch a comedy anime, you expect it to be funny, so your standards are higher (in terms of comedy), but when you watch a non-comedy anime you don't really expect it to be funny, so its easier for you to laugh at any sort of comedy since you aren't expecting it.
Something like that happens in Gintama but the other way around, since most of the anime is comedy, when something serious actually happens it hits you hard.

Because Takamura is GOAT.

DON'T THINK KID JUST KEEP REDUCIN

>they'll have a tsundere hit the MC
spicy

>this new

Kamogawa: Which arena has been easiest to fight in?

Ippo: Nowhere had any real issues, but Korakuen Hall is definitely my favorite.

Kamogawa: And any opponent who left an impression?

Ippo: All of them.

Kamogawa: Alright, an opponent you can’t forget?

Ippo: Miyata Ichiro.

Kamogawa: You never fought him, though. Whose punch was strongest?

Ippo: Hmmmmm… Sendo-san was strong enough and had enough pressure to really shake me to the core. It was like “BAM” and your whole body felt it. The most painful was Sawamura-san’s or Date-san’s. Gonzalez-san or Wally-san hit with pinpoint accuracy, like a needle.

Wally-san or Gedo-san were the most surprising.

Kamogawa: So basically, you’re saying they were all strong.

Ippo: Yeah, I guess so.

Kamogawa: That’s just like you to say.

Tell me one more thing…

Ippo: What is it?

Kamogawa: Are you glad you started boxing?

Ippo: Of course!

Kamogawa (thinking): He answered right away… With that happy face just like always. It really is just like him…

Ippo (thinking): Laughing, smiling, with that face. When was the last time he did that… It might be the first time I’ve seen it.

So that's it... He's not going to scold me. It's over...

I forgot to tell him something… Mom. I’m home.

He’s looked for answers, he’s taken steps, Ippo unclenches his fists and puts away his gloves

It's not "he's not going to scold me"; it's "he can't even scold me anymore".