Houseki no Kuni

>Is it AOTY material?

I'm tempted to place it above everything else this season just for being actually good CG.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_angle
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Close-up
youtube.com/watch?v=_OQX0KkqVSk
youtube.com/watch?v=EvmMvw9U-r4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's pretty great, but I wouldn't AOTY. It's definitely up there somewhere though

>CG
>good
No.

CG suits better, mate

No.

The 3DCG versions look better. The way they represent their shining in the 2D version looks weird. Also everyone is more feminine-looking on the right, which my penis likes.

>stills
just blow your brains out

Yeah I saw that 2d trailer and honestly I'm pretty glad they went with 3DCG. Fits a lot better.

I want to fuck Phos.

WE WANT TO BONE THE STONES

Nice butts.

But some of the 3D ones look legitemately better than the 2d ones. How is this supposed to be an argument?

"CG can never be better than 2D" meme, probably

Will she ever smile again?

Agreed, the cg looks even worse in motion.

Why haven't you killed yourself already? You are living in a 3D world I mean, life must be a real pain to just look at.

Maybe one day.

At least live action films don't purposefully try to replicate a completely different medium, and at least they know how to play on their own strengths and aesthetics. The abomination that is tv 3dcg anime in Japan is a means to a budget and nothing else. Nothing of value is added when the nips decide to just replicate 2D animation. 3D in its current state can't accomplish the kind of framing 2D can yet 2D can accomplish anything current 3D does given the budget. 3D in this era is just a means to a budget. Nothing of value is added with 3D currently with disregard to budget. Wait 5+ years and eventually some studio will probably be able to pull off 3D and actually make something out of the medium.

This show would have looked good in 2D as well, that doesn't mean it does not look good as it is.
And those fluid fighting and running scenes look better in 3D than anything they could have created with maximum sakuga in 2D.

>What could have been and never was
3DCG was a mistake

I like this CGI as well as I hate it because the fps are more down than ps4. Why never go at least 30fps?

The lightning looks a lot better and Ichikawa's style is one of those fluid and abstract style that is hard to create on animation, just like manga Sailor Moon's style.
The BD version could have some improvement on the 3D too.
But whatever, in the end i'm glad that HnK has an anime, and the 3dcg does it job well

>All these 3dcg apologists
You don't have to suck the gemdick this hard

Um wtf? Did you not see any of those pictures? Seriously, all the light that was supposed to be "reflecting" in the 2D style was seriously offputting. It didn't look right at all. At least this way it looks sincerly better than it would have in 2D.

How about you fund the budget for a full 2d version then ?

I have watched it 4 times, it is AotY. The manga was excellent also.

Toho was supposed to, sadly they didnt have faith in the source material and went wih the cheap alternative instead of paying for a real studio

Btw, how far ahead is the manga currently? I think I hear somewhere it was around 30 volumes ahead or something. Is that true?

>the reflections were offputting
wtf i love 3dcg now

Because it looked way shitter trying to put the manga into 2D anime form. 3D was the best way to do it they decided, and they were correct.

>entire manga filled with reflections
>literally called Land of the Lustrous
>entire anime would be focusing on the light effects

denialfags need to die.

it is ~33 now

No, 30 chapters ahead maybe, the manga only has 7 volumes rn

Holy shit.

Ah sorry mistype, meant chapters.

Look at the 8th and 9th panel comparisons. Are you trying to convince me that the 2D looks better than the 3DCG? Because it doesn't, in the slightest.

I can agree that the rest is subjective to the viewer, but I cannot see how for the life of a baby child you can consider the 8th and 9th 2D panels better.

With the way the 2d animation is, it doesnt actually reflect "land of lustrous", even the character's emotion, like Phos is actually looks better. There is chance it could be like Samurai Flamenco or YOI, with inconsistent animation after each episode, at least the 3d is consistent

At this point, i don't even give af about how it's in 3DCG, i want a season 2

It's okay, you can let the meme go now, CG has come a long way and evolved enough to legitimately look good now.

Stay mad

>There is chance it could be like Samurai Flamenco or YOI
Not every studio is incompetent like mappa or the now defunct manglobe

wew lad, i guess you didn't watch the anime

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_angle
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Close-up
Frame 8 should be obvious.
Frame 9 in 2D gives a much better sense of danger, or at least is a bit more dramatic. The angle in cg looks slightly more comical or panicky (not that that is inherently bad, but it is a different tone nonetheless).
I have a feeling you were just talking about the goo though, which in my opinion looks a bit overdetailed and a bit too amorphous compared to the 2d one. I would say the 3D frames have better arrows and sky backdrop though.

Let me guess, the only CG anime you've seen is Berserk

this
only studio Sanzigen has managed to pull off stomachable cgi and then after that it depends on the director to not make it look like its muh cgi which this show didnt do because it constantly wants to spin the camrea around the models like some fuckwit

This, the 3d actually makes the gems look like gems, and the light reflections look like reflections, not blob of paint with no depth

it's doesn't look that much better and they can't hold the same quality for 12 episodes.And If 3d physically hurt you that much just don't watch it.

I'm a fan of the show but I'd say in this comparison some shots looked better in 2D and some looked better in 3D.

Even though the manga version looks like it would be easier to convey onto animation with how simple it looks, they still need to do a ton of adjustments to make it look good on screen, notice how much detals they need to put into the 2d, even if the studio isnt incompetent, there is no guarantee the quality wont drop

>there are people that think the right looks better than the left
How far will this board go, in terms of shit taste?

Seems intentional there, since that shot could have easily be created in 3D. 3D version just emphasizes cinnabar protecting her instead.

>there are people that think the left looks better than the right
How far will these denialfags go, in terms of shit taste?

The animated trailer on the left has ZERO gem butts while the PV for the actual show has eight.

and your only argument on why it looks worse is because it looks too 3D for your weeb eyes

3DCGshit will never match the greatness and smooth movement of 2D

youtube.com/watch?v=_OQX0KkqVSk

So people rate this show high because of the 3d?

> thinking the actual 2d show will have this same quality of animation

No, because of the plot and the characters, even though 3dcg is looked down upon, it actually does its job really well in convey the story

>smooth movement of 2D
>when the actual show is smoother than the promo
I don't have any webms to show you how wrong you are, but compare that to youtube.com/watch?v=EvmMvw9U-r4

>The BD version could have some improvement on the 3D too
I hope they just smooth out the frame rate in every scene, somehow I doubt they'll bother though.

You say this, but OP said it was his aots based on the cg alone.

see
The 2D PV was very brief since it cost a lot of time and money to make, it wouldnt be viable to have that quality for the whole cour, it would require massive time and budget, even if they did give it a good budget it would look worse than the 3d anime, they honestly really nailed it.

Who the fuck cares what OP said, newshit? Op is a faggot, as always.

OP is a baiter faggot

>2D looking worse than 3D
Imagine being this delusional

Am I really the delusional one here?

I mean the fact that he thinks that way proves you wrong. Also if you go to mal you'll find most positive reviews put the cgi of this on a pedestal. I wonder when better cgi comes out, will it's 8.5 score go down?

Because of the "3dcg is shit" idea and meme going around, op was impressed that 3d could look that good, so it was only his personal praise toward the animation. But these weeb fags have to turn this into a 2D vs 3D argument

i wouldn't care if the same story was told in 2d, but i won't shit on what i got.

>MAL
What the fuck are you doing?

OP turned it into that argument.

>it would require massive time and budget
Hell no, that PV is mostly action scenes which don't really take that much screentime compared to the overall length of the anime.

They could put effort in those and deliver regular animation for the rest like everyone does. Its nothing new.

The new show's backgrounds give the setting a grand sense of scale and detail that PV simply can't live up to.

The shows actually has good CG, compare to the like of new Berserk, and its just op's opinion, these plebs insist on 3dcg is shit no matter how well its done and turn it into an argument

I just said AoTY because I really enjoyed the plot and characters. While I didn’t think that the plot was best of season, I wanted to give it AOTY because I was impressed with how the animators made 3D look so fitting with the series.

There’s your explanation.

Sup Forums turned it into an argument.

It has competent cg, there's nothing special about it except the hair caustics, other than that etotama has overall the best cgi in tv anime history

Do you see how much lightning details they have to put in for every gem appear on screen and it doesnt look any better than the 3D ? That quality will drop after like 3 episode and the characters will lool flat

god, i feel sorry for you op, its AoTY in my heart too
can we just go back to shitposting about fictional humanoid gems ?

>people having different opinions about what is good in their eyes

>competent
It's definitely exceptional, considering how well they were able to juxtapose the few 2D scenes they have with the show. The art style chosen for the 3D models was done in such a way that whenever they did opt for a 2D shot, the way the characters would be drawn would be similar to how they would look compared to their 3D models. Half the time, I could almost not determine whether a close-up was digitally animated or was 3DCG.

>narrow minded retard trying to convince people with an open mind

Updates Phos and Jade
Also added better character images for obsidian and couple of others.

um yes please

Will Phos gain a different voice when they become LaPhos? If so, then who'll do the honours of voicing delicious Lapis?

Tomoyo Kurosawa

>LaPhos voice is mix of intelligent and sexy voice

Kurosawa can still pull it off.

>except the hair caustics
those look pretty bad, actually

Yiz

It's AOTY. Better than gore lolis, rakugo, shogi and blobs

Being progressive doesn't make you correct, newfag.

That works both ways, newfag.
Also, open minded =/= progressive.

Has this become an ironic weeb show?

>muh 2d always superior
if you think watching an entire 2d series in the style of that manga promo would look better than what we got you're either kidding yourself, delusional, or just straight up shitposting for the sake of it
either way, take your (You)

Watch more anime.

optical caustics m'nigga. they look like dogshit in the 2d version, that's all there is to it

>mfw people think the CG is bad

it's interesting.

Good argument. Can't argue with that. You've proven to be objectively right.