Do people really care about resolution in anime? I feel like with 2d there's hardly a difference between 480p and 1080p...

Do people really care about resolution in anime? I feel like with 2d there's hardly a difference between 480p and 1080p. Anything over 720 is a massive waste of limited hard drive space.

Go check your eyes.

480 is pushing it but yes, 720 is the best. The only difference between a dvd rip and a bd rip is occasional banding in dark scenes but who the fuck cares. It's a cartoon, not a nature documentary. Especially considering the difference in file size, it's a huge waste.

>waste of limited hard drive space
Who the hell downloads anime when you can stream it all at 1080p?

I can barely tell the difference between 480p and 720p with stream rips like Horriblesubs, but that's because my eyes are fucked. Decent BD rips do look better though.

There's a lot of new anime with higher native resolution, just go check that JP website that lists them.

I mean take the anime I happen to be watching right at this moment as an example

It's all solid colors. Literally the only thing that would be changed by viewing this at a higher resolution is that the outlines would be very very slightly more crisp, at the cost of the file size being like 200% more.

Check your eyes faggot, not all anime is made at 1080p, but some of them are made at more than 720p, kyoani has their anime at 955p so you can actually see the difference in quality between 720p and 1080p

Its 2017 man.
Not everyone has a 1366x768 screen as their default monitor.
And storage price is cheap as fuck.

>Its 2017 man

No it isn't

Who the fuck pay for anime and support normalfags cancer like CR?

Like it or not, CR is largely the primary source of all anime in the west. Almost no shows these days use original translations anymore. If they disappeared tomorrow, we'd lose subs for all but 1 or 2 shows a season.

Don't horriblesubs do their own sub work? I thought that was the whole point of them calling themselves that and releasing shows

Talking about resolution is pointless unless you mention what your display setup and viewing distance is.

>Anno Domini 2017+1
>caring about hard drive space when storage is extremely cheap

Why on earth would you think that?

>streaming
>1080p
Fuck off cancer.

Because they're called the horrible sub group?

Lurk for 2 years before posting.

It's [The Current Yearâ„¢]. Storage is cheap. I have 3TB of anime downloaded and backed up on external drives.

As resolutions continue to creep up every 10 years media will continue to slowly follow it.

Well if I downloaded everything 1080p I would use about 1.5+ TB per year and that is just seasonal shit and before BDs.
That's 800 bucks minimum every 4 years taking basic redundancy into consideration and while it is afforable even with neetbux I would not call it extremely cheap.

>$200 a year isn't cheap
Get a load of this poorfag.

>working
Get a load of this normalfag.

Yes I care, I watch my chinese cartoons with 720p as a minimum.

Please be ironic.

>Not working a basic job so you can earn way more than you need to enjoy a life of wallowing in anime and related media.

I thought anime was considered haram in islamic caliphates?

>That's 800 bucks minimum every 4 years
>I would not call it extremely cheap
Where do you live? The third world?

Either way, a 2TB hard drive at this very moment would only cost you somewhere between sixty to seventy dollars. You could buy two to have one as a backup and still have room to buy a third before you reach two hundred for yearly expenses. HDDs are likely just going to get cheaper and cheaper as time goes on as well.

It's a slippery slope though. You start working so you can afford weeb shit, then you want to buy more weeb shit so you work more, next thing you know, you're working 70-80 hours a week and you don't have any time in the day to be a weeb anymore.

>download
>watch
>delete
Pretty hard.

For you maybe. I live well enough below my means that I can afford all the weeb shit I want and only work 40 hours a week.

>40 hours

That's literally a full time job

H265 1080 is smaller than h264 720 so it's not like size really matters anymore

Yes? It lets me have a place to live on my own where I can watch anime, read manga, play games, and masturbate whenever I want without having to rely on others to provide for me or expect things from me. Spending 8 hours a day, 5 days a week working isn't that bad.

I've always been confused with this. Why 955? Seems like such a random resolution.

I download everything in 1080p except for DBS I download in 480p because HS takes fucking forever to release the 1080p video. NGU Sharp upscale it to 1080p perfectly anyway.

>literally half of your waking hours, for 5 out of every 7 days that you are alive

For the first time I wish I had actually saved some of those pictures of anime girls throwing up

I'm pretty certain KyoAni actually produces their shows at 1080p, and it's because of their usage of blur filters that analysis spits out 955.

>not working 50 hours in 4 days

>12-to-13-hour days
Workaholic nip detected; fuck off.

Overtime is big, man.

>only works 50 hours on 4 days
Lucky. I should've tried harder in school, then I could get a cushy job like that.

I watch from my 50 inch Vizio TV sitting on my couch, which is about 10 feet away. I notice some differences between 720p and 1080p but not much. 480p is still watchable depending on the show, but there's a notable drop off from 720 to 480p. 1080 to 720, not so much.

(Non 4K older TV)

Only if the corporate bigwigs aren't stiffing you on overtime pay; lotta places do make you work overtime, only to pay you your regular salary instead of the time-and-a-half like they're supposed to.

Why would you keep literally every mediocre quality TV/stream rip you download if you're worried about hard drive space?

I don't work any place that doesn't give you time and a half for OT.

I'm not a harddrivelet, so I just DL the highest resolution I can.

Yeah, I used to archive shit. Ended up not watching most of it. It was a waste of money.

When I did want to rewatch stuff I ended up streaming it anyway.

I am not worried, I am just saying that it is not that cheap and that downloading 1080 instead of 720 would triple my cost..

Good policy; I had to learn about that the hard way. It's never a good feeling to realize that you just got shafted on overtime pay, then realize they could fire you just for trying to get it back, or even speaking up about it. Right-to-work laws are shit.

Right-to-work laws are the exact opposite and the worst idea in the world. They ought to be removed

> 1.5+ TB per year
> 800 bucks minimum every 4 years
Even at 25% redundancy AND with a new microserver you will get 15 (that's fifteen, not one point five) fucking TB of user space for $800

>only 25%
>buying cheap ass drives that die in 2 weeks
And I said that one year would use 1.5 TB and 4 years need 800 so work on your reading comprehension before replying to me.

480p looks great with a thin edges filter applied. But with just a regular upscale it's quite noticeable and I have terrible eyesight.

You should get your eyes checked.

Sure Seagate ae shit, but Toshiba are pretty good (bonus points for not using helium or compression), and HGST are really fucking great (except the noise)
Anyway according to your maths you need $800 per 1.5TB *4 years *2 (good enough redundancy for you?) or $0.066/GB which is actually almost twice as expensive as WD Gold drives ($0.037)

I pay around 350 for a good 8TB drive, if I would get them for 200 it would be another story.

Why do mods allow these threads?

>It's all solid colors.
Even your picture is not all solid colors.

>limited hard drive space
are you poor? you can get brand new Hitachi Ultrastar 2TB for 50 $, and its a top shelf enterprise HDD, im running multiple.

There are absolutely zero real gradients in the picture I posted. Those ones in your picture have some better art though.

How is it like being blind?

That's still $700 for a pair or $525 every 4 yars if you seriously do a raid1 on a mediadumpster.

I haven't seen a 2tb hard drive under like $180

You only think this because you're blind as fuck and looking at a blurry 480p screenshot, which is in a way ironic.

What do you mean by "real gradients"? You posted the picture with pretty light colors which don't show it that well, but if you have a slighty darker scene, you can see the gradients becoming blocks.

>I have to archive everything I download so I'm going to download it in shit quality
No seriously what the fuck are you saying

sorry, im living in first world country, not USA, i just converted to dollars.

Yes and like I said 1.5TB is just seasonal without downloading anything else or upgrading to BDs, 800 was the estimate with headroom for things like that or if HDD prices change again.

Woah did Megumin grow up already? Time flies fast.

Fuck 480p. 720p is fine for most things but I'll always go 1080p if it's available. Also do people tend to stream or download more? Downloading lets you have better quality but fuck streaming is just so much easier.

Oh, ok. In that case you are technically correct, despite being retarded.

>fuck streaming is just so much easier
I'd rather wait a few minutes for an episode to download and play in my player of choice than try to navigate some aids-ridden website.

A WD Blue 4TB is about $110

If you view on legitimate sites like Crunchyroll it isn't aids ridden. Fuck sites like KissAnime though

Doesn't CR still use flash like retards?

>There are absolutely zero real gradients
Of course there aren't. The jpeg compression nuked them.

Yeah I think so, but I've never had any problem with it. What is wrong with flash?

Limited hard drive space? There are people with this problem? What's next, monthly data caps?

Are you kidding? Flash is hot garbage and the king of security exploits. Use a real media player to watch anime. Don't use shitty builtin web players.

>What is wrong with flash?

Fuck I've been using Crunchyroll for like 4 years. Where do you download anime from btw?

Oh, nothing big, just that it's extremely insecure and inefficient.

>Fuck I've been using Crunchyroll for like 4 years
>these people post on the board with me
Jesus christ

What goes through your head when you make a post like this?
Do you not think for a moment "Huh, what if I don't act like a complete fucking retard"

You're doing a good job of being retarded yourself, m8

That never went through my head honestly

Weak bait.

What is the best way to view anime? How do you guys view it?

Everybody uses crunchyroll. You're just being memed on.

Now I don't know what to think

mpv with neural network scalers

Use your eyes.

>That very visible join in the middle of the skirting boart

kissanime for stream
nyaa torrents for download

1080p with mpv in my 4k phone. It looks better than on my tv or pc.

Who can stream from CR? I swear they are the worst streaming service I've ever seen. I've seen bootleg servers with better stream quality than CR.

I legitimately don't notice any difference between CR streams and torrents, and even if I did I would still stream because image quality doesn't matter in anime

where is the guy who has all the talking fish pictures?