Explain to me why NGE is a masterpiece and not just a regular series

Explain to me why NGE is a masterpiece and not just a regular series

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/uuMNmHdr0Lg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

well we still have this thread every day after two fucking decades so it definitely accomplished something

this

the animation

is bad.

Because it was a first for a lot of people, before they became the cynical dick heads they are now.

If they where to look at this with a critical eye it'd be a different story, but a mix of nostalgia, willful ignorance and genuine pretentiousness keeps them for such thoughts.

Which is why, when it is posted it's mostsly shipping cancer and shit posting, you'll see threads, but not a single one will even attempt to talk about the show, other wise they'd be forced to bring up it's horrendous pace, tone inconsistency, laughable bullshit plot hole ridden story, one-note characters, and over reliance of shock value and edgy nonsensical bullshit that doesn't even make sense, like the use of religous symbols and lore to be spooky and shit when there's no actual meaning.

Also, this is the only serious reply you'll get, and no one here would dare even attempt to refute anything i said cause they not it's true, inb4 bait.

>shipping cancer
>evangelion
is this something you just paste in any thread about any series

Childish use of important religious symbols with no deeper meaning is pretty evangelion specific.

Explain to me why Instrumentality is strikingly similar to the transhumanism conspiracy, purported to be held by modern intelligentsia

Because it connects with your darkest, deepest emotional problems on some level or another.

Unless of course you're an autismo roboto, then you're scratching your head and wondering what the big fuss is about.

Because people like the girls in it

Instrumentality is more or less the biblical definition of heaven. A return to oneness with God, the destruction of self. Yahweh is basically an eldritch horror if you stop and think about it.

it culminates tons of influence from previous successful series'/genres into a new and interesting story.
also:
>great ost
>great direction
>great characters
these don't hurt it either

You're a brainlet.
Same thing as trying to explain Mozart, Plato or Einstein teories to a nigga.

Good characters and great directing/storytelling. That's it. That's all it was.

That describes a lot of media user; you're just noticing because it's your god.

Its simply a fact people will discuss LAS shit or best girl shit for 500 posts for ever thread. Asukafags don't really care about Evangelion.

I stopped reading when you wrote 'where' instead of 'were'. If you try to make yourself appear smarter, at least use the actual intellectual character from Winnie the Pooh. You know, the one that has an actual philosophical outlook and perception of others.

Instrumentality is an eldritch horror, entirety of humanities consciousness blended into one chaotic soup of every type of emotion possible, every single hardship and heartache being felt across billions of minds, with a select group (SELEE) at the head

>t.butthurt Asukafag who refuses he only cares about his waifu and forgot the plot of Evangelion

I can think of a few hundred series off the top of my head that applies to

why would you ask me to lie to you? It's certainly an influential deconstruction of the mecha genre and several tropes prevalent in anime at the time, but beyond that, and the fact that deconstructing those tropes only seems to have made them even more popular, it's pretty much just OK.

>deconstruction of the mecha
>deconstructing those tropes

Yeah nigga. Are you a little slow?

I bet Evafags can't name a single trope it decontructed from mecha.

gundam characters are figuratively japanese Ken and Barbies

Shinji is as pathetic as they come, and Asuka is as bitchy and 3DPD as they come. That's hardly decontruction.

>fiction is made of "tropes"

>Sleek, organic Mecha designs over bulky, mechanical designs prevalent in the genre
>MC, rather being an outstanding individual or some kind of chosen one is, well, he's Shinji
>Focus almost entirely interpersonal development and interpersonal relations rather than the clear, borderline 2 dimensional archetype characters used to carry the story to the next action scene
>Females in roles other than love interest or cannon fodder.

shinji and asuka made love around episode 15 or so

on the tv in the living room in the episode kaji comes over, 2 lovers are arguing about kissing. the girl accuses the man of being a bad kisser, and says she dated him again so she could break up again. she then accuses him of being bad at making love

It's your retarded underage edge-bait with pseudo-deep themes. Ask plebbit.

can anyone name the other episodes the tv is on? I cant fucking remember

>Monster mecha was already done in Getter and Mazinger; sleek organic designs come from Ultraman
>Already done in Gundam
>Actually new
>Already done in Gundam

eva is more of a kaiju thing than mecha. kaiju/hard sci fi

>You can't have more than one deconstruction in existence at a time
>Having a deconstruction stops tropes from being tropes outside of the deconstructions

The Eva going Berserk takes a lot after Mazinger and Ideon. Like I said, the kaiju part comes from Ultraman. Even the way the angels are designed calls back to the designs in Ultraman monsters.

nigger ultraman isnt a fucking anime you tryhard

and it's just twelve dudes in costumes, that's like saying james bond perfected bowties and everyone else after are thieves

>at a time
All those shows were relevant decades before Eva came out. They were all influences on it. Evangelion wasn't deconstructing shit. Anno and Sakamoto were pretty explicit about what they were trying to do, read an interview.

>nigger ultraman isnt a fucking anime you tryhard
No, it's just one of the most iconic shows in Japanese television and one of Anno's obsession.

Shut the fuck up.

>Sleek, organic Mecha designs over bulky, mechanical designs prevalent in the genre
lol /m/ would have a field day with this one on how wrong you are.

>MC, rather being an outstanding individual or some kind of chosen one is, well, he's Shinji
He's still not a decontruction, if he was, they would have made him an asshole who punches Asuka and tells her to fuck off.

>Focus almost entirely interpersonal development and interpersonal relations rather than the clear, borderline 2 dimensional archetype characters used to carry the story to the next action scene
The question wasn't about writing or character development, it was how Eva was a deconstruction on mecha trops. I'm waiting.

>Females in roles other than love interest or cannon fodder.
Tell that to waifufag retards like who believe Asuka was a love interest and not an antihero.

>discussing mecha anime
>ultraman

The retardation spewing from this user can only be that of a leaf poster

>dude giant robots and giant monsters are totally different
>never mind that they're done together all the time
>never mind that this series has giant monsters too
>never mind that the author is a huge fan and even directed on fucking Godzilla

You were wrong. Deal with it.

>Tell that to waifufag retards like who believe Asuka was a love interest and not an antihero

I can't fix stupid, but I can at least say that their autism doesn't actually have an effect on reality.
Not yet, thank god.

in the same episode (right before the mind invasion) the tv, speaking for asuka, says "I'm going to live a life free of regret. I'm not going to make the same mistake a THIRD time"
the man then says "before you do, make our bed" complaining about her like shinji

the same episode she says to hikari "shinji has no clue about dating a girl/relationships" as they are talking about dating touji... like girls

this is the first time the sand and shovel from the playground in eoe appear

kaji says during the sleepover "you guys are like this every time misato is gone?"
asuka freaks out. obviouslyt hey've been up to other things

asuka is upset, but not about touji (she is happy talking to hikari.) she is conflicted over shinji

episode 18 6:00 to 8:00 or so

I'm not sure what you meant to type, but I am sure that it wasn't "refuses", so good job proving his point.

Because of this right here
youtu.be/uuMNmHdr0Lg

It's a well made mecha anime that did interesting things with the form, weaponized wota waifuism, and went batshit crazy in eyecatching ways for the end of its run. It also happened to come at a pivotal time for anime nerds on both sides of the Pacific, and was one of the founding series of American anime fandom. Autists can also get very far up their own asses with the various deepisms and earnest attempt at themes.

Monstrous mecha were usually the bad guys, and Mazinger's "god or devil" was figurative until later in the manga. The crazy Getter Ray bullshit was later too.

Shinji is to Eva what Amuro is to Gundam, but outside of having the mom robot, he's not the special next step in human evolution like Amuro. That would be Rei, who's a step up from cannon fodder for most of the series. Every mainline UC protag is a Newtype of some type by that point.

This is actually wrong, since there are large parts of Zeta and ZZ that are more focused on the interpersonal relationships of the characters. These characters are insufferable, so it gets forgotten.

Name one Gundam female before 08th MS Team who wasn't a main character's love interest, walking hamburger, or both. Haman doesn't count; Char's Deleted Affair basically states she became ruthless since she wanted Quattro in her Bagina.

You managed to be completely wrong about everything. That's honestly impressive.

HMMMMMMMMMMM

corrected the translation

Finished watching NGE this weekend while in vacation, and I have conflicting feelings about it.

The Mecha related themes were okay, the fights in the first half of the show, up until episode 16 mostly, are pretty good, as they are in 25` and 26`

The psychological themes were good imo, especially the introspective moments of Shinji after Suzuhara`s bullshit.

That said, into specifics: 25 and 26 were absolute, utter bullshit episodes, with only a few scenes saving the 26, especially the ground and air analogy with Shinji walking and shit. The ending however, its even weirder to watch it with context than watching it without, a few years ago for the meme.

25’ and 26’ are fucking amazing. Asuka’s battle with the 9 EVA units + the look on Shinji’s face after she dies is just absurd, even though the whole third impact thing was confusing, and could be a lot simpler. And about the ending, idk with tone it sets, but it isn’t properly a good ending but for a series that pretty much got it name from being elusive lore wise, confusing and kinda known for using stuff like Freud analysis for metaphors, it was great.

This isn’t new for 4ch but as someone whose suffered depression for the whole duration of high school, it was fun revisiting that after a couple years.

I really liked it desu, proof reading this and adding this as a final note.

It only has to do with the failed kiss, nothing more.

sleep depravation is retarded, idk what i fucking wrote and fuck it now

>Evafags don't think shinji is part of the chosen one narrative

His literally the only one that can pilot is bitch bot, and his mom is god or some gay shit

no dude. the tv literally says the guy is bad at fucking RIGHT after asuka says he has no idea about ho to do things in a relationship. and that she repeated it over and over

the translation matters. each time asuka talks about his face, specifically

she repeated her mistake, but instead he took her virginity. and after that she repeatedly says "I cant stand looking at your face"

Because it's only slightly worse than the magnum opus of anime: Akira.

the last time misato left, they hadn't been like that at all. they'd been kissing (the audience sees this) but the television implies that shinji isnt impressive in bed either.

they aren't like this, the part the audience sees. they are intimate

don't for one fucking second tell me anno doesnt layer meaning into his directing

>ITT: Evafags actually biting and getting exposed

I've been waiting years for this thread, been calling this overrated trash out, but evafags are just experts at avoiding or derailing any kind of conversation that takes an objective look at this show.
Finally the bite, and their arguments are just as autistic as you'd expect, and they btfo on the spot, it's glorious.

grammatical errors aside, you couldn't be more incorrect. but it doesn't really matter, does it?
you're most likely overprotective of your copypastas (or self concious about your inelligence) that you'll spew rabid comments instead of making a valid retort. So I'm not gonna make one either, so feel free to throw random accusations.

what I'm really butthurt over is how they butchered one of the most creative ideas in Physics, that was crucial in unifying special relativity with quantum physics into
quantum field theory, just because They wanted an intellectual sounding name for their safespace

But that's about all I have to say about the show that is purely subjective. The rest of my opinions probably appear in this thread already, and if not they're bound to int the next Eva flame war thread that comes out in a couple of days and will be an almost exact replica of the rest of them. I couldn't agree more with on that regard, this might be the best reason why this show isn't "a regular series" (as if that is even an actual thing)

It does an excellent job in making you care for the characters and at the same time reveal their personalities and histories tied to the history of its world.

Elements of a good story always tells two things at once.
ie, Misato's personal vendetta is tied to the history of the setting. We get to know about her motivations and backstory including the worlds at the same time. Every character characteristics has the same treatment.

>I've been waiting years for this thread, been calling this overrated trash out, but evafags are just experts at avoiding or derailing any kind of conversation that takes an objective look at this show.
You know a thread like this pops up every day if not every hour? With the exact same image, nothing special in this thread in particular.

I was just mocking those who act like Eva is deep and profound, but in the end they only care about cute girls.

This, the girls are the worst part of the series. Would be much better but less popular without them..

you have no idea what your talking about. You forsake everything else.

It isn't even the first use of religious symbols in anime.

Yeah but you queers never bite, until now, good thread.

You missed the symbolism of rei as a doll, and how Asuka hates to lose to a doll.

No it literally happen s all the time.

good lord, both dolls have short hair.Also child Asuka's face is the same to her face before the kiss scene.

>duh parrallels i-it's deep
you sure showed me

im guessing episode 14

>you sure showed me
Its an interesting parallel that the show repeates time and again. If you cant look past the religious symbolism, you missing out on a ton.

Asuka wants Shinji's and Kaji's affirmation, she craves to be what adults feel even if it means forcing herself on people she hates.

You literally agreed with what he said, and in the same breath completely disregarded what he meant. what a remarkable specimen you are, friend. I'm going back to filtering this post as I do with every Eva copypasta, hopefully next time I won't be triggered by posts that include winnie the pooh and pseudointelligence together.

Actually i'd say she does not want to lose to a doll again. She wants to be adult and not that child, seeIts fucked up beyond wanting simple affirmation.

Nothing new or deep about reiterating that certain characters parallel one another and it effects their relationship.
It's naruto tier, and so are the aliens.

Lel, I hate those dumb girls but still like the show. Why is that such a problem for you?

Its not new at all, do not fault it for doing it right.
Also you are missing the point, you're missing out on a ton of character building if you just rebuttal with >duh parrallels i-it's deep

>It's naruto tier,
came out long before it.

Stop being so pretentious, Jesus.

It's fucking hell is what it is.
Imagine completely losing control and having to relive all of your painful memories, again and again, for thousands of years. Always facing your problems but never being allowed to fix or change anything. Always thinking about people who were important to you, but never getting the chance to see them again, all while constantly getting teased by their image. All while knowing they are going through the same and you can't do anything about it.
I'd take good old death instead, anytime anywhere.

Does it mean everybody had sex with everyone else?

Still better than my life.

Don't write yourself off that easily. Scars are experience points.

But I am commoner.

Housecat can still kill me even at level 20.

tranlation correction, episode 22

Your first post made perfect sense you dingus.

Also if you want depression kino watch Kairo

I love how the video fetishizes its own setting, how it presents Shinji as some sort of mysterious, brooding stranger and Tokyo-3 as a rich, sprawling metropolis everyone would want to live in.

it almost makes rebuild look good, kek

I do like the song though, even if all of utada sound samey and dreamlike

Yeah, the song's pretty cool, unlike this thread.

>Name one Gundam female before 08th MS Team who wasn't a main character's love interest, walking hamburger, or both. Haman doesn't count
____Reccoa

>Explain to me why NGE is a masterpiece and not just a regular series
Well, first, because it has good direction. I was actually amazed at how great of a director Anno-san is. Evangelion is built on dynamic dialogue, with the extensive use of characters' facial expressions, it lets us properly perceive what the characters are talking about. It uses cuts on movement, timely tension with countdowns, both at the start and at the end of the shot, to create tension and draw our attention to what's happening on the screen. Moreover, some shots are drawn beyond the frame, so the camera movement across it can create a sense of live-action realism, which is pretty cool. Coloring and animation are great, actual battles are pretty spot-on and designs are easily recognizable among many.
Second, its use of unorthodox visuals. For example rapid-shot montages. Something Sergei Eisenstein built his film theory on. When we're present with a set of such montage, its meaning changes throughout. One shot after another, their "collision" is something that drives us to try and connect the dots. In Evangelion such shots either try to make us remember what the characters have been through or draw conclusions on how they feel. Another example is still shots. Those might be called out for budget cuts, but as I perceive them, they provide great tension for the scene.
Third, the music. Man, Sagisu-san is a genius. Not only OST, but what it inspired was stellar. I don't even know how to explain it, just listen yourself.
Fourth, the themes. Its themes are timeless, its characters are relatable to an extent, its message can be applied to every individual who was rejected, ran away, closed himself from others, hated his parents, feared women, sex, love, etc. Its about us, user, about me and you. As long as humanity exists, there will be barriers between us. But it's okay. I'm with you. I need you. Take care of yourself.

Rei alone is a masterpiece. The series itself isn't anything spectacular, though.

>people STILL believe Eva is about christian symbolism

Who pushed this shit? No seriously, who spread this shitty completely misleading “fact” to all these unsuspecting parrots?

>brainlets on Sup Forums
>understanding Eva
There are only waifufags here, go away. All smarties stopped posting a year ago or so.

Anyone got a magnet for full Eva OST along with stuff it inspired?

Guess how I know you also have a wicked sense of humor.

nge is the mona lisa of anime, it has no meaning, and isn't special, it is merely a piece you can talk about , and so its held in high regard for that reason only. its shit if your older that 20.

t.waifufag

>comparing artworks to anime series
>your
Go die in a dumpster

Dead already, can't lose what I don't have.

>its shit if your older that 20
>its shit if you're older than 20, didn't get it, didn't try to follow its message and are now browsing Bangladeshi kite testing forum with no friends
true

Atleast you can head to the dumpster where you belong ;)

You’re a Kamilleposter, takes one to know one.