Why is it so hard to make a good looking CG anime?

Why is it so hard to make a good looking CG anime?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IW8iG0Bqd3Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The anime style doesnt translate at all to a fully 3d model.

Finally somebody fucking said it.

Houseki no Kuni uses a surprising amount of traditional animation if you're looking out for it. That's how it's done. Rather than 3D awkwardly complimenting 2D, you use 2D to fill in the uncanny gaps left by 3D.

3d is more complex than 2d, dumbass

Because 3D is ugly. Anime has nothing to gain by using CGI.

Doesn't have the love of someone hand drawing

if the animation model doesn't look like shit then the animation itself is shit.

They reduce the frame rate on purpose to "emulate the 2D feel". I wish I was kidding.

Expelled from Paradise/Rakuen Tsuihō is the only cg anime that looks good to me, desu

Watch Bubuki Buranki. Older but better than Houseki IMO.

I'll be honest, some anime's do it so well you can barely tell it's 3d, the only thing that gives it away is the fluid movement, and the fluid shading too.

It saves them a lot of time and money, most likely. You need less animators/employees to do more.

I'm a 2d artist so by no way am I saying I'm happy that 2d animation is being replaced everywhere, but at the same time, I have to accept it, and part of that for me is admitting that there is good stuff.

Go to bed, Miyazaki.

It's hardly older relatively, but you're right - it's definitely one of the better CG anime.

Good 3D is expensive and takes a long time to render

Because it's hard to make anything good. Pixar couldn't make a 5 minute short with the resources available to the normal anime studio.

Probably lack of experience is part of it. Given time, I would expect either they get better or technology allows them to be just as bad but get better results. Not that I expect it to ever happen, but ideally the models they use for characters would get leaked and then people can make things using the original anime style.

>Probably lack of experience is part of it.

The same studios making the shoddy 3D for anime are the ones which blew your socks off as your younger self came at the immense beauty of the cinematics and pre-rendered backgrounds of old Japanese games.

Anime is funded by bowels of ramenand children art supplies. A complete far cry from the render farm possessing giants with millions to waste and time to spare.

I wouldn't say that, there are lots of good looking 3d anime-styled things I've seen (not to mention that "the anime style" is a very broad term that has lots of wildly varying forms)
It seems more that people are just entrenched in the ways of 2d and don't know how to take advantage of 3d animation as well.
I'm excited to see what the good stuff will turn out like when we get over this jarring transition period.

Bingo. 3D "anime" is a completely different style of its own. No point comparing the two other than the fact that they both air on TV.
It's like comparing Thunderbolt Fantasy with K-On! It is just pointless.

Video games do anime style in 3D better than 3D anime does. I would watch a 3DCG anime if it looked as good as like Persona 5 or something.

Even kinema citrus doesnt fully take advantage of 3d animation and instead has 2d faces that are in the "anime style".

but HnK was good cgi

Kinema Citrus didn't do HnK.

>The anime style doesnt translate at all to a fully 3d model.
Those C2 Naruto games kind of beg to differ.

Orange is a citrus fruit anyhow.

Guilty Gear (And now Dragonball Fighter Z) replicates it nearly perfectly, but does so by painstakingly hand shading the 3d model for each frame of animation, which basically defeats the purpose. And even then every time it breaks out of the 2d plane the illusion is broken slightly.

youtube.com/watch?v=IW8iG0Bqd3Y

Because CGI is cancer. Japan is the last place where traditional animation is still alive and relatively well and hopefully it won't change any time soon.

This. 3D "anime" is a completely different beast from 2D and lacks fluidity in multiple dimensions for good reasons.
The Japanese like to make every frame count not just because the industry is used to it but because it is culturally ingrained to not waste anything. They won't ever model 3D objects that will be used for just one frame and seen only on one side when they could easily do it by drawing a 2D sheet.

cg anime is only a problem when you notice right away, as long as they focus on decent shading and frame-rate (of animation) it shouldnt be much of a problem, it could even have some awful painted on features (like mouths) and be fairly tolerable