Why is anime so expensive?

Why is anime so expensive?

That's not even expensive try buying in volumes instead of buying BD boxes.

Just pirate

Anno's mistake

Inelastic demand.

>puts 2 episodes on blu-ray
>"that will be $130 plus tip baka otaku"

this must be the reason why nips don't have 3dpd gals. They can't afford sluts whilst buying BDs of their pure waifu

Because it's an incredibly niche market so BDs need to be overpriced as shit for studios to make profit

>madeinshitbyss

>madeinpiss

>incredibly niche
>mainstream pandering every fucking where
What went wrong?

Is that expensive? I waste twice as much on pills every other week.

Because we buy it anyway.

Abyss is only two volumes so with that you get the whole series for about 260. Not a bad price at all, a used BD set of 6 volumes would cost you more.

>gives you a massage
>that'll be donation + ti p

Back in the late 80s and early 90s rental stores were a big market for anime, they'd sell video copies to rental stores at a huge markup before they did retail so the rental places could make a killing renting it out to people before they could buy it. But then otaku started buying the rental copies despite the huge markup, even though waiting a few months would get it to them cheaper, simply because they didn't want to wait. The industry realized they could sell these videos at basically ANY price and the fans would buy them. And it turned out that they made way more money that way, especially after the rental industry went tits up.

The anime industry has basically no reason to lower prices when raising them has historically increased profits and lowering them has never yielded enough new sales to make up the drop in price. Anime home video is simply too niche for sheer numbers to make up for the drop in price at this point.

Your perspective of "mainstream" is probably very skewed from the actual mainstream. Also the most mainstream anime that exist don't care about sales because they air on daytime TV where TV ratings are the only vector that matters.

Because retard's like you will stay pay for it

>Bought all of Little Witch Academia
>9 BDs
>At $100 a pop
I regret nothing.

That's right! I'm sure you get a lot of satisfaction from collecting as do I!

Just become rich, kid

IT'S PIKACHU

I still don't understand why the Japs don't put subs on it.

>only a thousand dollars to have someone competent translate the series for you
>only need a dozen foreign sales to generate profits
>even more if you include Chinese subs (Taiwan loves anime)

Japs hate money.

>Japs hate money.
It really seems that way, specially after the Kemono friends s2 where kadokawa basically went "you know what would be great? If we just brought this entire franchise down for no reason"

Same reason Persona 5 don't get a port to PC, japs hate money and they let some old mans take care of their business, so we never get youg people trying to change their industry.

Its too niche, the people that buy blu-rays and anime merch will buy it regardless of the price. The people interested in buying BD's but don't because the price is too high don't justify the lower price point. Its been tried before, halving the price won't make twice as many people buy it, very little changes among the sales numbers.

They don't made for you.

>Because it's an incredibly niche market so BDs need to be overpriced as shit for PRODUCTION COMITEE to make profit

Turns out studio has already been paid at that point.

Nah, try buying invidual frames.

t. buttblasted piratefag

You mean Pikajew

I just pay manga. It's less of a waste of money and more useful overall.

>Tfw they don't even put nip subs on it

It's getting cheaper than it used to be actually, $130 for 12 episodes is pretty good, it used to be $80 for 2 just two years ago.

Cuz fuck the hearing impaired.

Western Blu-rays does it right. A fuck load of subs since it costs nothing to make but the potential to attractive customers is overwhelming.

>dozens of anons post their BDs
>a few want to buy but no Eng subs available
>some are going as far as to burn subs on then put them back on the disks

I have bought some nip BD sets because they're so much nicer than the western equivalents but Japanese subs would be awesome so I could practice my audio recognition of the language