Is she the most overrated writer in the industry...

Is she the most overrated writer in the industry? So many of her shows suck and the good things she's done seem good in spite of her. Her writing style is especially grating the more of her works I watch. Will her upcoming film suck?

no

i think shes decent. shes good at characters and melodrama but not much at setting and worldbuilding. case in point: gundam

faggotbutcher is the most overrated hack

Oh please. Urobuchi doesn't get hundreds of shows handed to him like Okada, and his stuff is actually decent. His fame from Madoka is well deserved anyway.

> overrated
She's literally the single most hated anime scriptwriter I can think of.

She's so prolific that she's one of the better known screenwriters. How many screenwriters do you even see discussed on Sup Forums? Okada and Urobuchi, of course that's excluding directors who also do the series composition. So it's no wonder she gets a lot of hate.

The difference though is that Okada is obviously overrated by the industry itself. Why else would they keep throwing work her way? She even got to do a Gundam show.

She's a one trick pony. All of her original stuff are pretty much the same.

Never heard of her, unsurprising since I haven't really seen much of she's done.
And what I have seen (Kodomo no Jikan, Fractale, Koufuku Graffiti, a couple others) didn't really leave me scrambling to find out the writer of those amazing works.
Koufuku Graffiti is cool though.

What show is she popular for? Toradora or True Tears or something like that?

Her name got thrown around a lot for Anohana. It was really popular on Sup Forums and the writing itself is very emblematic of her style.

I like a couple of her shows, but usually her writing is a disaster like in IBO.

There are people on this board RIGHT NOW that have never heard of/watched HanaIro.

Not at all.
I personally enjoy her works, for the most part. She certainly has some flaws, but they don't usually bother me. I can see why some people don't like her though.
She doesn't deserve high praise, nor hate though. She has her style and likes, and she does what she does well.

Butcher got to work on a KR and it was arguably the second shittiest of Neo-Heisei shows

It's garbage.

What didn't you like about it then?

I wonder how the most hated scriptwriter continue getting jobs and now even directing her own movie. Truly something is wrong with the world. Or most likely it's just Sup Forums (or /m/ or their 2ch counterparts) being Sup Forums (or /m/ or their 2ch counterparts) who goes through usual hipster waves of hating things that once were popular. Do you remember when Sup Forums liked Shinbo (it was even before Madoka)? I do. Well, now turns out he was always shit and he never even directed anything, he never came up with anything and never did anything at all. Same for Okada. For some reason everyone disregards her past works as if they don't exist. But I do remember how she suddenly became popular during AnoHana. I still remember Nagi no Asukara threads and all the OKAAADAAAAA memes. It was 2013/14 and people still liked her on Sup Forums.
Some newfags may mention EVOL and DtB s2, but that will only prove that they are newfags. No one even knew her name during DtB s2. Everyone blamed it on Bones because back then Bones was fucking every single ending in every single original anime disregarding the writer. And it saddens me that anons move the fault for EVOL from Kawamori to purely Okada. Kawamori will always be Kawamori.
But then suddenly something changed. When Mayoiga and Kiznaiver were only announced people already hated her. I completely missed the point when and why she became hated. Was it Wixoss? No, nowadays everyone in Wixoss threads agrees that s1 was the best. I seriously have no idea what happened.

Though I completely agree that IBO was fucking atrocious. It's just not her genre. Blame Nagai for picking melodrama scriptwriter for Gundam show. Okada should go back to melodramas with love polygons, unrequited love, SUFFERING, tearjerking and stuff. I'm waiting warmly to her upcoming movie.

You have somewhat of a point, but Okada has been considered at least hit-or-miss around here for years. There's only a handful of shows she's done that are generally well-liked on Sup Forums.

The thing is her writing has no substance. She is good at doing melodrama like you said, but without substance behind it her style becomes less and less enjoyable with every work of hers you watch. And since she's so prolific it's not hard to watch a few of her shows.

Yeah I liked Anohana when it first aired. But then you start to see the way she writes characters and situations are overly formulaic. Anohana was pretty sad and enjoyable in a cathartic way, but what reason do I have to ever revisit the show? All of the plot points, each scene beat by beat, they only exist to build up to an emotional melodramatic climax. There's nothing there to enjoy once the show has played all its "tricks" on you. And like I said I enjoyed it when I watched it, but at some point her style doesn't have the same luster anymore.

That's why she went from well liked to hated. Because there's nothing to her. She has no substance worth sustaining a career as prolific as hers.

she should probably transition to jdrama, melodrama never gets old there

Anohana works because the story is straightforward. It's set to make you cry with a simple melodrama in a neat early 2000's nostalgia package.
When Okada goes slightly off the established rails, you've got shit like a crossdressing dude running in the woods for no reasons.

>but what reason do I have to ever revisit the show? All of the plot points, each scene beat by beat, they only exist to build up to an emotional melodramatic climax. There's nothing there to enjoy once the show has played all its "tricks" on you.
I don't understand your complain at all. What do you even need to enjoy once the show ended? You have well spent time and good memories of the show. It's not a good choice for rewatching but so are lots of other fantastic anime. For example I loved Madoka, but it will never have the same impact again if I rewatch it.

>Because there's nothing to her. She has no substance worth sustaining a career as prolific as hers.
I see a desperate attempt to find any reason to hate her. Iroha was absolutely different with its tricks compared to AnoHana. It was more about mundane life and growing up. NnA never had any build-up for melodramatic climax too (and by the way 5 years later we still have Miyuna mondays). Wixoss played completely different to her previous shows as well.

I didn't watch it.

I didn't like how shit Spread WIXOSS was and I really liked Infected

Don't respond for me, fucker, now I have to do it.

I dropped this when it aired because I couldn't stand the characters. Fucking hated that show.

How could you hate this cutie?

How shit will her movie be?

Hating Okada is an old meme that dates back to when animesuki was still relevant.

The Last Jedi tier

I didn't watch that

>I don't understand your complain at all.
That there's no substance to her stories. Meaning each time your exposed to her style it becomes less engaging as the first time because there is nothing that pulls you back to her writing.

>Wixoss played completely different to her previous shows as well.
I disagree. Still the same set-up especially with that incest romance subplot. It's still similar characters with a similar melodramatic story. A sort of listless protagonist like her other protagonists. And there's not much joy to her writing. It's very monotone. The skin might be different, but the skeleton is all there the same.

I dropped it when they faked a rape controversy

Let me see who the main character is
>girl: check
>cute: check
>flat: check
Already AOTY.

>No, nowadays everyone in Wixoss threads agrees that s1 was the best
This was never not the case. I know the Okada cunt lickers use the excuse that she didn't write the early episode scripts but being she was in charge of series composition that doesn't excuse most of spread being so utterly fucking pointless that the movie version is like 40% infected, 20% original, and 20% spread with every spread focused character except Mayu removed entirely and all the new scenes added to make up for it.

Kiznaiver illustrates everything you need to know about Okada. Every script is a sloppy mess except for the schoolgirl yuri episode, which feels like it was spliced in from a different show because it was the only part she gave a fuck about writing.

The only artistically significant thing she has made this decade is Mine Fujiko to iu Onna.

>Okada was born in 1975
>still not married or in a public relationship

Would you be willing to take this melodramatic scriptwriter cake before it's too late?

>Mine Fujiko to iu Onna
Fuck, I knew there was a reason I didn't hate Okada. We need another full Lupin series like that, the Italian one was fine, but Edgy Lupin gets me hard

Urobuchi is great when he actually has creative freedom, which these days is almost never. I mean what was the last anime he directed?

Was she the one who did cross ange? That shit was unironically fantastic entertainment.

Never

Thunderbolt Fantasy?
I loved it

Fukuda. The madman also responsible for the tragedy that is Gundam Seed Destiny, which is still easily the worst Gundam series to date. No other series manages to build such high expectations and shatter them so completely. IBO pales in comparison; the rampant quality even 2 episodes in showed how little effort was being made towards it, so anyone with executions shouldn't have been surprised.

She is a dyke

Spread being bad is a shitty meme spread by people convinced their own head cannon was completely correct and not just rampant speculation. If you actually watch it on its own, it suffers from a slow start, but is otherwise fine, and does a good job continuing and concluding the Selector story.

I hate Gundam AGE more than Seed Destiny. Nothing is as infuriating as that last arc with Kio.

>the skeleton is all there the same.
It's like if there's certain similarities in writer's works you can pick up on across their series! Wow, who would have thought! Reminder that the real reason people dislike Okada is that she is one of maybe two anime writers people can actually name (the other being the equally memed on Urobuchi).

>directed
Urobuchi has never directed an anime.

That's fair. I feel like the surge of hatred that accompanied AGE from the moment its character designs were revealed prevented me from putting much expectations into it, so it was less disappointing when it went to shit. Destiny is still frustrating every time I think about it, because it was an incredibly interesting setting (Gattica with giant robots!), and Destiny seemed to be nailing things even better than the uneven Seed had, until it hit Earth and the whole thing ground to a halt for 20-some episodes of literally nothing and recaps of said literal nothing, before closing with the famous flawless victory, sasuga yamato ending. Still, AGE drops from 'hey I'm kind of enjoying this' to 'fuck me this is awful' faster than Destiny did, certainly.

They're both incredibly horrid shows.

Spread really disappointed me with how they handled Mayu

IBO was genius. No other mecha series will ever come close.

I actually loved Mayu. The Selector system was so pointlessly mean-spirited that it was the only thing that actually made sense other than aping Madoka and saying it's aliens. Given the scale of the series, I really like that there's no deeper meaning to the suffering built into the selector system than a girl with a shitty life wants to spread some suffering.
Unless you're talking about the Yuki/Tama fusion Mayu, which was pretty dumb.

IBO will never not make me angry.

thunderbolt fantasy was good but felt very different from his usual work.

Mayu's backstory was dumb, specially the tulpamancy scenes
But I guess it was necessary for the Yuki name

I hate 00 more than Destiny, but Destiny is a fucking massive abortion with so many problems I have to admit it's far worse than a show like 00 which is just boring and kind of shitty.

Having multiple episodes focused around an irrelevant character to reveal one line worth of exposition is not merely "a slow start". The feeling of betrayed expectations isn't a head canon issue unless "I expected literally any of this to filler matter even a little" counts as head canon.

Spread as a whole also glaringly highlights all the structural issues with the story's setting. The protagonists never properly battle all season because the consequences of doing so would have too much impact on the plot (by the end of the show random faceless construction workers interrupting battles feel like when drawn out pro wrestling storylines fall back on constant DQs) and they have to throw in Mayu being dead to force them to actually go fight her in the white room instead of just going and casually talking to her.

Not gonna lie I would dick her down.

But 00 is good user.

I liked some of the ideas in IBO, and if you showed it to me as a 12 episode series with the first few episodes and last few episodes left largely as-is, with some more focused development on the main cast in between, I probably would have loved it. But there was 50 bloody episodes of terrible animation, pointless subplots and detours, and a 'plot' that jumped all over the place and never seemed to be able to settle on a single mood. Was Tekkadan heroic or tragic? The direction seemed to suggest both, but never at the same time. They probably hoped it would be both in the end, but they never managed to convey both on screen, without showing badass Mika winning fights to heroic music, or Orga getting gunned down in the street like some petty gangster. And again, they had 50 episodes to try and bring all this together, and the feeling one gets watching it is that the vast majority of the running time was wasted on nonsense that wasn't remotely important to the plot.

00 is good before it turns into a shittier Zeta

I feel like the tulpamancy makes a lot more sense from a shinto perspective than a western one. The whole notion of strong willpower shaping reality is very important, look at any shonen protagonist after getting the shit kicked out of him in a climatic fight.

You mentioned it in your post: Infected had created a lot of structural requirements to follow in Spread, both in content and tone. I'm not sure how you expected them to resolve those plots, but the fact they managed to make something that feels consistent with what they'd established (which, while fun to watch, was kind of a clusterfuck to try and resolve in any way that made sense) while still delivering stuff like aki-stabby to keep the tension going was all I think a reasonable person could expect from it.

>It's like if there's certain similarities in writer's works you can pick up on across their series! Wow, who would have thought!
Whoa, it's almost like that's exactly what I'm saying, and that those similarities are what put people off from her writing!

I don't mind people disliking Okada's writing, pic related. The problem is most people posting about how much they hate Okada couldn't name a single other anime writer, which mean all these threads tend to get is 'Okada a hack' shitposting.

My guess would be that she's willing to work in the anime industry as a scriptwriter, whereas no other sane person would do something so retarded as to waste his or her time for otaku dorks.

I'm sure there are a ton of people willing to write. You could say she's "battle-tested" though.

IBO flawed as it was is still probably the best of the modern gundams. the bar is really low for them.

Mari Okada being the director means she will have absolute control for the first time. I can't fucking wait.

Today I will remind them.
t. okadafag

I liked M3 Sonno Kuroki Hagane.

Everyone knows she and Kawamori collectively ruined EVOL and they shit on her for that, so she's not that overrated.

And being good a melodrama isn't a skill, do you even know what melodrama is?

An unfairly maligned subgenre?

>Urobuchi doesn't get hundreds of shows handed to him like Okada

That's because he rejects offers like a sensible person.
Okada says yes to everything and when she doesn't have the time to write, she hires 3-4 writers to do the work. Pathetic.

If you think melodrama means "bad drama" then you're wrong.

>The difference though is that Okada is obviously overrated by the industry itself

Not really. She doesn't get the amount of praise Kobayashi, Urobuchi and Nasu get.

Even Jukki Hanada gets more praise than her.

Mari Okada annoys me because whenever she writes drama you can practically feel like she just ripped a page of her diary and gave it to director instead real script. It’s perfectly fine to derive inspiration from real life, but inspiration is one thing, thinking your life is interesting enough to be dozens of animes you work on is downright embarassing.

If you’ll read about her life you’ll realize that while creating Jun she didn’t just take couple of elements from her own life, Jun is literally just fucking her (dad cheating, living with mom, unable to talk and etc).

Bitch just doesn’t know th line between stealing and inspiration.

I don't watch Nasu's works so I can't comment concerning him, but all of those are much better writers.

>I feel like the tulpamancy makes a lot more sense from a shinto perspective than a western one.
I never actually considered that but now you've said it, it does make sense.

I don't think I've seen a single show she did that I actually liked. Or if I did like it, the ending fucking ruined it anyway.

She's so fucking terrible she managed to ruin based Mizushima's good track record. I really don't know how she managed that.

>the ending fucking ruined it anyway.
So much this.
A lot of her shows start well, or at least tolerable, but then somewhere along the way the story just becomes ridiculous, the characters are no longer likeable, or everything just sort of flounders off into mediocrity. I watched a number of shows before knowing she had a hand in them and this almost always happens to them.

Mayoiga is perfectly in line with Blood-C and Another. I don't even know why I ever expected anything that wasn't dumber than fuck.

It's just cheap drama. Which is something she excels at.

Melodrama isn't cheap drama. It's a subgenre of drama that just has fallen out of favor in the west. Granted a lot of works of melodrama are poorly written but they don't have to be. Gundam is an example of well regarded melodrama.

melodrama is huge in asia. korean wave wouldnt exist without melodrama. if okada can write the next one liter of tears good for her

Don't even know why the industry keep hiring her.

>that just has fallen out of favor in the west.
And for a damn good reason.

Anyone who thinks Okada can't write should read the manhas she has written. Then go back to the shows she "wrote" and see which episodes she wrote, and which she had no control over. Heres a hint: the episodes and arcs people birch about usually arnt her.

This. People just mad it was Exorcist with card games and not something else. Like the fags when madoka was airing butthurt homu wasn't what they had been guessing. Its just more apparent in Wixoss threads as less people watched it.

Reminder Mayu didnt make the system, it was there before her and now after. She just twisted it (as Ruu later does). The suffering was already in place, just shaped.

i still fucking hate her because IBO

>mere 11 chapters in total all works combined
You mean the manga she hasn't yet had the chance to fuck up?

>based Mizushima's good track record
Mizushima has a terrible track record with horror, though. It's just not his thing, and he keeps doing it.

>Wixoss
>Nagi no Asukara
>M3
>True Tears
>Hanasaku Iroha

She's alright to me.

I like it. And I love dialogues she writes. They are so powerful and cool I could tell if she had written an episode or not just by listening them when watching Gundam IBO. This will be the reason she is considered to be good at melodrama. Her powerful dialogues fit it very well. This may sound offensive, but I don't think those who read shitty subtitles can understand her best strength. Are there subtitles that can express subtleties of dialogues? My English is so poor I can't tell.

>the only things she has written are the translated chapters
K.

My favourite Okada meme is when two characters that have a great need to reveal critical information to each other meet up and one of them literally runs away from the conversation to end the scene. The two characters will then not mention or follow up on this conversation until much later on, even if they're in the same room as each other soon afterwards.

They are just too embarrassed to bring it up.