So I recently went back to Soul Eater and realized that it's absolutely awful

So I recently went back to Soul Eater and realized that it's absolutely awful.

...The manga, at least. Its only redeeming feature is the way it handles relationships between children and adults. Meanwhile the anime actually had vastly superior art direction and bothered to put a bit more thought into characterization.

What are some other adaptations that have more merit than their source material?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8gaV1X9zEwM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Worst anime original ending ever!

The manga was better. That said
>tfw half of your core cast is so boring that your series would be better if they were just normal weapons.

>and bothered to put a bit more thought into characterization.
not really

the characters in the anime weren't particularly bad, there just wasn't as much to them

I'll take "I beat the bad guy because fuck you" over a literal non-ending where the most interesting supporting character is trapped on the fucking moon and none of the subplots have been explained or resolved. Like shit man, give me something at all.

>there wasn't as much to them
There wasn't anything to them in either version. They just vaguely implied characterization that wasn't really there in a few of the anime original scenes and a wet fart masquerading as completed arcs.

What subplots?

At least I remember the anime's ending; I can't say the same about the manga.

boobs
that's how the manga ended

It's funny how after years of talking shit about how the anime ended, manga went and managed to end in an even worse way. Except it's not funny at all.
Goddamn, SE is such a massive wasted potential.

The author learned from his miskakes and made a great manga after shit eater, with the name fire force

It went downhill once they offed Medusa without any casualties. The show basically told the viewer "there are absolutely no stakes"

they played le music notes of death

Full Metal Alchemist

It went downhill after the arachnophobia story arc.

How is Not!? I hear it's shit

It's a trainwreck

It is, it's the most generic show I have ever watched.
Grimdark atmosphere, tension, humour, all that is GONE.

Not! is a yuri, the only interesting parts are the interactions with the cast of the original show, but even those are limited.
Two of the protagonists are irritating as hell when they fight for who will use the weapon (it's a trio, so 2 have to share 1 girl), they are all superficial (the snooty one, the absent-minded one and the one in the middle)

At least they actually offed villains.

Did they ever explain Maka's weird relationship with Black Blood and how it would just completely disappear from her system? I dont remember if they did.

>Take everything interesting about Soul Eater (there wasn't much)
>Replace it with completely generic Shonen template
Nah, it's trash. It's just less meandering.
Between that and NOT I'm convinced that Ohkubo doesn't understand writing and the few good bits of Soul Eater were a fluke.

It wanted to go for the equivalent of a Dragon Ball manga about the life of Yamcha's half brother.
Instead imagine you're reading a really bad, indistinct Yuri manga that fucking wishes it was picked up by KyoAni. At random intervals Dragon Ball characters, locations and items show up. As soon as you start to be invested in these familiar, far more visually interesting characters and whatever they're talking about, they walk away. That's Soul Eater Not.

The manga is almost always better.

the anime started off great, but got worse in the second half with the generic villains and asspull ending
the Kirin was really dissapointing too, after he was hyped up so much he ended up doing almost nothing and having a "generic final boss" design that looks like something from the end of Naruto Shippuden

>...
You have to go back

This is one of those rare cases where it isn't, and that's not even praise for the anime. The manga ending is horrendous.

But I've been here for 12 years.
The days of Orange-kun memes are still fresh in my mind.

The manga ending was shit,too

Nope.

But BOOBIES, user!

I am so glad that I forgot what boobies meant

Crona and Asura are sealed up on the moon, but their madness spreads because it's so colossal, resulting in...people developing a greater affinity for big titties because of Crona's mommy issues. Kid decided to conduct a study about this and Mama babbles about how they'll totally do their best to free Croba someday I guess and MAN she and Soul are such good partners! The End.

Fuck you if you cared about dangling plot threads or thought the lead up to the final arc clearly established Crona as going full villain, your ending is that the last 50 chapters may as well have not happened and your consequences are people liking tits more.

So it was really this pointless. Good thing I forgot

>threesome ending

Gotta respect that

What? This is only true for BlackStar's weapon... fuck i can't even remember her name, Tsubaki? The only thing i can recall about her after her arc, was that she was the most thirsty out of the whole gang, apparently.

So why did it go to shit?
Poor sales?

That sums up the whole series, really. None of the interesting things go anywhere in the manga (The black blood, Maka's mother, entire towns being destroyed, development for the core characters, etc) and all the anime had is a better visual style.

I really regret knowing about the ending being shit beforehand. You are just waiting for the manga to jump the shark

Kid's partners were nothing more than comic relief too.

What studio do you want to do the remake?

Shaft!

Why is everyone dead set on the manga ending being shit? I went on a reread around one year ago and honestly I thought it was fine. The only meh part was the Noah bussiness.

Soul's the only weapon who actually had anything going on for him, and I'd much prefer if he and Black Star were a single, better character (one's a bit too boring, the other's too annoying).

It's nearly a third of the comic (~80ish to 113) and a massive anticlimax. It's slow, you get cucked out of any interesting conclusion for Medusa so they can do the most predictable thing in the world, Crona's heel turn is unsatisfying because it feels like a retread and they flip right back to face before the finale, the actual finale is pretty much devoid of consequence or even resolution, the characters are not emotionally challenged, questions are not answered, changes are not made, and the narrative doesn't even have the courtesy to reflect on this tonally.

It's a "written by the very edge of my ass" ending by a guy who ran out of ideas three years before he decided to stop.

I would like 3Hz personally

Will they rewrite it so it isn't shit?

Bones again.

>The manga was better.
Not by much. The manga peaks with Baba Yaga Castle and declines from there. The pacing (for a monthly release) became utterly shit for a while when he started Soul Eater Not! at the same time.

It honestly just becomes shit, suffering from shit pacing, and finally a shit ending.

Which is a shame. It's been several years now so maybe it isn't fun upon re-reading but I honestly liked the first half. But it just fucking declines after Baba Yaga Castle and never recovers... and for all aspects. The narrative, the art, etc.

>It's funny how after years of talking shit about how the anime ended, manga went and managed to end in an even worse way.

This. Even if the anime declines in the 2nd half and finishes with a boring ending it was still better than the manga.

I was at least somewhat satisfied with Maka/Chrona/Stein's fight with Medusa. Blackstar's fight with Mifune in the anime was fine, although the manga was better.

Just the manga goes to shit not long after where the anime diverges.

>maybe it isn't fun upon re-reading but I honestly liked the first half.
It's the classic trap of expectation. The first half introduces a lot of stuff and you're less critical of it because you trust the author to follow through. It's still better than the second half, but there's weaknesses you wouldn't hold against it when reading in real time because SURELY no one is a big enough hack to bring up X Y and Z without ever following up on it. Except they did.

Also doesn't help that the last 4 years would have been one if it was done like the first four.

The anime may have had a weak ending but I can't not love any time this plays

youtube.com/watch?v=8gaV1X9zEwM