What is your opinion on cheap post production effects like bloom and chromatic aberration in anime?

What is your opinion on cheap post production effects like bloom and chromatic aberration in anime?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JvPEsY8jM-E
youtube.com/watch?v=SytMT62GFLs
youtube.com/watch?v=7LatTkewitk
youtu.be/cY4aCnfrqss?t=3m16s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You mean the kyoani effect?
It's kinda sad how you'd have some animators animate the background just to blur it all out.

if it's hiding derp faces like you see in Sunrise's shit can you blame them for wanting to hide those blemishes?

Before looks much better

Looks a bit flat and desaturated, that can easily be fixed though, what they did in the after is awful.

Too much of a good thing can make it bad.
Kyoani does too much of it.

They can look nice if they're not over done like the after image there. It shouldn't be used to the point that it's obscuring the details of the animation. What's even the point of drawing all that detailed background animation if they just blur it out? But when used properly it can create better lighting effects than are possible without digital animation. Shinkai uses effects like that much better.

man..people already forgot Girlish Number huh?i actually don't mind if they use post-processing effect when the actual animation is really good,but what they did in GN anime was fucking garbage

I dropped girlish number right after the episode where they visit the blue haired girl's family, the night scene was a straight ripoff of the Kyoani style, more specifically Hibike, even the camera work and gimmicky shots were similar, though it looked worse because the art and animation of that show wasn't nearly on par with Kyoani's. Still don't get why Girlish Number was so liked here, the shift between comedy and drama was really annoying, and the drama parts were hard to be taken seriously since the characters were nothing more than one dimensional caricatures.

A little bit of blur towards the center and back would have created a nice depth of field

The bloom and lights are completely unneccesary and these could have been painted for a more natural effect instead of painting neutral light characters and fucking them up

They fucked their own light source and color balance by painting those characters neutral because "lets after effects this bullshit anyways". You can't even tell if it's day, evening or night in the picture of the left

People mention KyoAni but I don't remember them abusing this stuff to this levels, I blame Ufotable

>People mention KyoAni but I don't remember them abusing this stuff to this levels
I worded this poorly. I'm aware Violet Evergarden in their's. I meant all their previous works.

That's fucking atrocious. The before looks better.

>cheap
So what is the expensive version?

one where the color rendering that properly reflects the color temperature and light the scene should have is done manually like every other decent anime and not by button mashing in after effects

Looks like shit but it's better than kyoanus taking a filtered photo.

I kind of feel bad for the artists. They spend a huge amount of time drawing all that detail and then the director tells one guy to fuck with some sliders and then you can't even see it anymore.
A Silent Voice used a lot of editing too and beyond the chromatic aberration (seriously fuck this) it looked decent and tasteful. Evergarden so far overdoes it.

>that bloom
Is Kyoani the Ubisoft of anime?

I've not come across a single person who says 'derp faces' and doesn't have terrible aesthetic sense

Kyoani is not intelligent with its artistic choices, the background characters could have been CG and nobody would notice.

>what kind of anime you want
>just fuck my shit up

>cheap

Ufotable has been doing this for years. But when Kyoani does it, it's like they were breaking some taboo.

>"look how good we are with filters!"
Are they marketing this like it's a good thing?
When its overdone like this, It looks like fucking garbage and just shits all over the production work.

Ufotable anime looks like garbage

>cheap
The only reason other studios dont use the post production KyoAni does is simply since they cant, lacking a proffessional digital department and resources to put that much effort into anime

Same reason they dont have proper character shadows, lightning shading, any animation aside from falpping mouths etc.

Note that Series Director for VEG is Fujita

She did this scene in Hibike
youtube.com/watch?v=JvPEsY8jM-E

No one complained about backgrounds and blur back then. She knows what she is doing.

Poor animators. This blur is ridiculous.

>Poor animators
>in kyoani of all studios

I have no problem with it. The non-stop "grunge" filter thrown on Evil or Live (for example) on the other hand makes me rage.

Better quality

youtube.com/watch?v=SytMT62GFLs

>All these detailed people in the backgroung
>”lol I just blur it so hard you can’t see shit”
Yeah, poor animators.

All KyoAni animators are hired with requirement that they strive to become directors. Its one basic thing KyoAni requires, an ambition - so that under Kigami`s school their animation skill and experience allows them to better understand how to make well animated shows.

So yeah, let alone they are paid well, are not overworked - they also are creatively free and can focus on working on high quality products and improve their skill and jump from animators to episode and then series directors.

Everything KyoAni does visually, is result of years of practice and experience and developing the techniques and touches making KyoAni visuals stand out.

Here`s the video i posted It uses exact methods you shit about - yet it completely BTFO everything else aired back then both in direction and visuals.

People did complain it though. There's a reason for all the Before / Kyoani images you see on here. It's not a new complaint either people have bitched about it since at least Hyouka.

Good for certain scene under specific mood, as long as it's not overdone.

It helps masks stuff. Honestly ever studio uses after effects in their animes. Some do go overboard with it though like Ufotable and GoHands.

>animes

its 4 am gimme a break

This thread

Post production has every opportunity to look good. A little bit of flair to spice up the visuals is never bad, but "a little" is never used. Use of those effects should be limited to heavy emphasis on important metallic objects (such as the MC playing an instrument at a key moment), or incredibly important scenes where the backgrounds are not as important. It's often used to an extreme effect though, causing everything to be blurred out. The human eye can easily find what's important in a scene, so the excessive effects blotting out anything unimportant is entirely pointless.

What are the webms trying to tell us?

People on Sup Forums said it was bad so I say the same thing to fit in.

>There are actually living breathing existing human beings potentially in this thread that think this looks good
I thought this was a joke when I first saw it.

Video games are a different story. Every game looks better without bloom and blur. EVERY game. This is objective fact. It's only praised because it looks flashy and makes use of the system's graphics processor to the utmost. There's no point though because the incredible blur doesn't do shit to help the visuals. Real life isn't so blurry unless you have a bad set of eyes, so why must every game force you to be extremely nearsighted? The same god awful effects aren't as vicious in anime, but it's still a problem.

Go watch Yuasa shit

The after is literally quite better.
Really interested in how someone can argue otherwise.

I've been saying this shit about Yuasa for years, are other people finally catching on?

There's more than one person on Sup Forums right now that thinks bottom one is better.

I actually have it open in another tab right now

The left is preffered by those who want a cartoonish animation, the left a more photographpic experience. Both are ok, but for purpose of storytelling and mood in this particular show left is the choice since the intent is to emulate the feel of old photography

If they were going for the feel of old photography they failed. The right image looks more like an instagram post.

No, its the Bethesda of anime

>I want to look at a picture taken by someone that has no idea how to take pictures
>just blur absolutely everything, even the focal point
>make sure to throw in a shit load of bloom and destroy any sense of light balance, like an over exposed picture
If they were going for a bad 80s VHS tape then they succeeded.

No, it looks like a high quality movie scene.

youtube.com/watch?v=7LatTkewitk
youtu.be/cY4aCnfrqss?t=3m16s

The absolute state

>The left is preffered by those who want a cartoonish animation, the left a more photographpic experience.

What.

I actually made a Photoshop action that turns every screenshot into a KyoAni masterpiece. Post pics you want KyoAnified.

Watch how the show transforms into something special.

kek

Ironically, it actually does look better. If JC Staff made it now, it might have made it like that. Like Madhouse this season with Yurimoi

I'd laugh but it's too true.

Garbage, but I hate most of filters like this, kyoani, ufotable, silver link, pa works, ig production they can all go fuck themselves with these, like watching some normalfag Facebook page or something, they have no idea how to use them but there is an option for it so why not use them right? And the results are fucking terrible. Man there is so much you can do digitally, so much potential completely fucking destroyed.

I can't tell whos memeing and who's serious anymore. Kyoani shitters, haters, lovers, what a mess.

Maybe the kyoani filter will make me stand Kamille more.

still look like shit brainlet, at least change the color color palettes or some shit,
Kyoani always has god-tier color palettes, only brainlet like you saw it as muh bloom and blur

>hey have no idea how to use
Did it never occur to you that it might be YOU who has no idea? Yamada in particular is a kino fag just about everything of whome can be traced back to some specific touch or scene in the arthouse and indi movies and stuff.

I will not say for others, but in particular KyoAni is very certain of what exactly they want to achieve and how.

It invokes slight keks in the distance, so I suppose it's an improvement. Thanks, filter user.

Kamille is one of the greatest protagonists ever written

So how will the KyoAni haters will defend Deadhouse, now that it wants to be KyoAni?

Imagine having all your hard work creating detailed backgrounds getting fucking blurred. Kyoani usually does it the best and strikes a good balance but they really go too far with it sometimes.

>they have no idea
top kek Kyoani show is the best looking currently in the market without burning tone of cast
You fags are just being contrarian with your shitty opinions nobody buy

The blur and bloom is overdone. It reminds me of my shitty filtering on my early /p/hotos.

Feels good. People sperging about backgrounds being blurred forget its not static shots, but the dynamic scenes where camera moves.

Learn english

Imagine being Franxx or Fate/Extra fag this season - getting shitty CGI backgrounds and unfinished placeholder art

Go back to Sup Forums

Reminder that VE is only getting hate because Disney is paying out the ass to shit on anything tied to Netflix to boost their own strraming service. Anything new on Netflix will get the same treatment.

Keep in mind a lot of shit in anime is traced from real life, so blurring it can make it blend better with the characters. Anime can have an ironic problem where backgrounds look too good.

This
Without the bur effect it would be difficult to focus on the character because of all of the shit happened around her in the background. Then you faggots would complain about forced background or some shit
Kyoani is the master and they know what they do.

Why is this so funny

the worst is overused depth of field like in OP. Focusing the viewer is important for cinematography, but I like to have the freedom to look at something other than the intended focal point if I so choose.