Why is sarcasm/witty/passive aggressive dialogue non-existent in anime?

I'm talking about scenes similar to this:

youtube.com/watch?v=vVWe_G4C-5Y

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2doZROwdte4
japanintercultural.com/en/news/default.aspx?newsID=213
youtube.com/watch?v=o3whrvorXa0
youtube.com/watch?v=M9fFb6pDUK0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

That's supposed to be witty?

there are no roastie whores in anime... mostly

It's non-existent in the Japanese language.

Go back.

Like someone said in the comments, they are verbally dismantling each other without the use of swear words, insults or other childish comebacks. I've yet to see this kind of writing in ANIME.

Nips cannot into humor, its a fact.
At least not on a level we can appreciate.

Sarcasm is a foreign concept in Japan. They have to add subtitles to American movies explaining that the characters are not being literal.

Which is why I'm into anime.

youtube.com/watch?v=2doZROwdte4

Go away.

Like half of Japan doesn't understand sarcasm.

watch more anime

That's bullshit because Kyon is sarcastic as fuck

But Saekano is entirely built on a sarcastic character.

I wish I could be so witty.

Only when talking to himself. Not with others.

>dat pic
wew

japanintercultural.com/en/news/default.aspx?newsID=213

Indirect insults are still insults, and are definitely still childish.

>Americans are funny and ironic

This is meant to be an example of irony, right?

youtube.com/watch?v=o3whrvorXa0

Sometimes you just want to culturally roast the opponent.

It's not witty. Pretty sure it wasn't even supposed to come off as such.

Define "witty"
How they were supposed to roast each other, then?

Alot of it comes down to translators not being able to convey the wordplay involved. Sometimes there's cultural references that non-japs don't get.

Most of the time it's because good dialog is hard to do so most writers don't bother or get it wrong.

America is the center of the world, everything they say is true!

Megumi > rest of the cast

It's the language. If you study Japanese for a bit then you will understand.

They love their wordplays and "read between the lines" sentences though. Those usually don't translate well into english. Just like our sarcasm and humor doesn't translate well into Japanese.

That Joss Whedon bullshit can stay in the trash bin where it belongs.

that shit all translates just hunky dory as long as the translator isn't a total dunce

then again around these parts you got people who freak out if onii-chan is replaced with a character's name in the subs, so...

Nice.

This

Whedon and Bendis snark/quips ruined American media.

It does occasionally happen. I can't think of any concrete examples, but a fairly common situation is when a character is asked for praise or to be thankful, he then responds by expressing gratitude in half-assed formal language and an insincere tone. There's also noritsukkomi, which is kind of similar to sarcasm, but not quite the same.
Mari from Urahara last season was rather sarcastic, but that's based on a webcomic written by an American.

Depends. The modern usage of words like "kisama" or "omae" are so baked into the language that anyone using them today is unlikely to intend coming off as sarcastic, but the dissonance between the literal meaning of the words and the intended meaning is ironic. This would not convey in any decent translation.

>passive aggressive
Is this phrase even more misused than 'women are better at multitasking', I wonder?

>talks about american sarcasm
>posts a link about irony
The irony

It's not like there's a difference.

what the fuck was that scene even about
i don't watch that meme show

I was always under the impression that nips are nothing BUT passive aggressive, but Japanese society and language has refined non-direct speaking so much that your average American anime viewer won't pick up on it

because japs have taste in their humor, unlike westerners

The latino and the white people hate each other and we're indirectly roasting each other.

Seishun Buta comes to mind with the banter dialogue.

Japanese don't take pride in being insufferable cunts.

>Americans are funny and ironic

It is a positive trait in their culture. Americans are the only ones who think their humor is funny, for everybody else it just sounds cringeworthy and childish.

Maybe it's in every anime, but completely lost in translation.

>another post where some insecure euro thinks he is witty

Because this type of writing is hard to be made. You need to be somewhat smart and witty to do comebacks/be sarcastic/ironic and not come out as an utter retard or a complete ass. Which is why 99% of it that you see on western media sucks.
It's more or less the same as having to write a smart character: a character you write can never be smarter than you, they may be said to be, but their actions will reflect the opposite since they are limited by your own intelligence. So, in the same line of thought, the limit of a character's banter is the writer's ability to deliver banter himself.
Maybe it's just because it isn't a trend there, or because they've become more self aware thanks to how their society works and thus writers know that they can't convincingly pull this off and so choose to avoid it.

Sarcasm doesn't really work in Japanese.

here youtube.com/watch?v=M9fFb6pDUK0

>That title

>elects Donald trump as president
If two nuclear bombs isn’t enough for the nips, the burgers deserve ten.

Thanks for reminding me why I love this series.

Still better than old woman who was shrieking how much she deserves to be a president because of her gender.

Still better than a retarded reality show star who didn't even want to be president but only ran to try to up his price for his next season's contract, but underestimated just how stupid the American public were.

Because being an unlikeable cunt it's something only the west appreciates.

Japs don't really get sarcasm, they don't really see the humor in it

dragon maid in a nutshell

if what any of that book says is true, I have actually changed my tune from believing that.

duh, american humor is funny to americans, yuro humor is funny to yuros and jap humor is funny to japs while almost everyone else finds it stupid or cringeworthy, and to write sarcasm in an intelligent and witty way you need at least 2 jerkasses on the screen at the same time, so if you use sarcasm constantly you end up with a cast full of cunts, which doesn't mix well with Japan's expected behavior of being respectful and polite all the time

Reminds me of the milk episode of Mob Psycho