1999-2006 anime

Why the shows from those years were the most weird? The very existence of this time period before the moe invasion puzzles me a lot: the overall quality was seemingly even worse than in the 90s with a sudden dramatic leap in 2006-2007 (that were packed with modern masterpieces), the MAL average ratings for those years are likely the lowest.
On the other hand, even an average show FEELS different: a bleak, almost melancholic color palette (even Eva was more colorful), not-as-j-poppy OP/ED songs (industrial in Texhnolize? occasional British songs? surprisingly noisy/grungy j-rock?), overall subtlety and serenity (even in action shows), voice actors would yell and overreact much less. It seems the period universally considered shitty and isn't discussed much anymore, but now I feel like it's the most interesting and experimental one.
> FLCL, Koi Kaze, Lain, Aria, Beck, Genshiken, Saikano (which is not great, but is still pleasant to watch solely because it's different), even Elfen Lied
What was happening in the 00s Japan? What happened in 2006-2007 and changed everything?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=57Ef6egT4kE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

just like video games, everything good died in 2007

I don't feel the same about video games (and I played them a lot in 00s), indie developers are now more active than ever and there is a lot of experimentation in all genres.
The anime industry seems extremely stagnant and the diversity is getting worse (or I'm getting older and harder to impress, I don't know).

Nice cherry picking. The early 2000's were absolutely packed with otaku idealism and fetishes. You had tons of influence from VNs back then. Colors and art styles were mostly due to the growing pains of the switch to digital production. When Haruhi hit in 2006 it was a sign that LNs had a lot of potential, but it was absolutely built on the preceding period.

I started watching anime seriously in 07 when I was like twelve and every anime felt fresh to me.
Like if you compare todays anime with the ones of yesteryear, the old era(pre-07) felt almost like an experimental phase.
Bebop, Champloo, Lain, Eureka seven, Elfen Leid, Onizuka, Higurashi, Hellsing TV were all shows I watched on a whim and yet all felt unique and distinct when compared to each other.

If I were to pick anime by random nowadays, how many would be set in highschool or be a harem show?

It might be cherry picking, too, I didn't watch as many titles back then. Give me some examples that proves me wrong, I'll check them out.

>before the moe invasion
Stopped reading right there.

> implying that wasn't a thing

Of course it was a thing already.

OP pic is from 1998 though

Look at what KyoAni, Shaft, Gainax, J.C.Staff, and Ufotable were making in that time period.

None of what you said is true, well maybe it is if the only thing you think aired during that time was stuff directed by Nakamura.

>the MAL average ratings for those years are likely the lowest
MAL are full of underages that will eat up anything moe and throw up when trying to consume the more serious animes.

>animes
Opinion discarded.

>this time period before the moe invasion
The moe invasion started with Cardcaptor Sakura, which started during Spring 1998.

>everything good died in 2007

Nah. Just you.

It's a period of exploration, like said.

You are wrong about it being devoid of things that pretentious people consider garbage today. This was the period with Sister Princess, which shared creators with Love Live. It also had Mai-Hime, which is like Madoka except with more coherent characters.

And still, I don't see dozens of cute-girl-high-school-club shows every season before Haruhi/K-on. I'm not hating, I love Kyoto's stuff a lot, it's just been the first year without a single show I liked. 00s stuff, even with the same moe/school/shonen tropes, is much more watchable and less off-putting, I don't know why.

I passed the past decade arguing with 80s and 90s nostalgia fags just so I can start arguing with 00s nostalgia fags. I only have my self to blame.

To put it simply OP, you are wrong.

The same thing will happen with the current decade. This is a neverending story.

>mai-hime which is like madoka

Jesus Christ you don't mean that, do you?

>people will be nostalgic for things airing today
I don't buy it

It's not exactly nostalgic, I mean, I grew up in 90s-00s (back when sailor moon was a thing), but I started watching anime (systematically) only in 2014. I don't feel the same for 80s/90s (as probably more people referencing urusei yatsura here and there), and I don't see this early 00s being discussed at all.

Then again, many great things get appreciation they deserve decades after, I don't think it's bad.

I'm already nostalgic for a few things that aired in the early 2010s.

Walt Disney invented moe

>"everything was better in my time" that your whole ancestry line probably has said at least once about everything will end in this generation

Maybe if world war 3 ends the world.

Yeah, but you're comparing the selection of shows from 1998 - 2007, almost a decade, to the selection available in a given season.
No shit there's going to be less of a distinction within a season, or even year.
There's been a swathe of Hishschool harems since the pre-2000's, and they've always dominated the market.

>this thread
Quick, somebody upload 'that' pretentious Usenet anime post from 1994.

>It's not exactly nostalgic, I mean, I grew up in 90s-00s (back when sailor moon was a thing), but I started watching anime (systematically) only in 2014. I don't feel the same for 80s/90s (as probably more people referencing urusei yatsura here and there), and I don't see this early 00s being discussed at all.

Well as someone who actually did watch early 00s anime as it was coming out and not just someone who has been able to go back and pick the best shows of the era, 00s is not that different than modern "post moe". It was filled with a lot of shit, most of it was shit.

The industry begun another bubble with the rise of western companies licencing almost every property, and thus the market was saturated with just utter garbage.

80s version

>They have been starving for almost 25 years
Revolution when

It feels really weird seeing this picture of lain with an OP that isn't a shitpost.

I wonder how Mike-oyajii is doing these days.

That's interesting, thanks, I might as well find a book on the history of anime or something (if such books exist). But those ones are from the pre-Eva era, I thought anime after 1995 became considerably more... experimental? Even though the Japanese mindset, moe, all the same tropes were still present and actively used.

>1999-2006 anime
>Posts a picture from a 1998 anime

>I thought anime after 1995 became considerably more... experimental?
Not really. There were a few shows that sort of ripped off of Eva, but that was a brief trend. The most experimental stuff in anime is probably some OVAs no one has ever heard of.

This show is utter garbage but it had a catchy OP that has stayed with me for over a decade
youtube.com/watch?v=57Ef6egT4kE

>I thought anime after 1995 became considerably more... experimental?
No, it didn't.

OP is a didn't check MAL.

Sorry, I know it's from 1998, but still it has the same unique atmosphere I've mentioned.

Wow, this meganekko chick is really ugly.
And somehow we got it even worse now, huh (though, I liked occultic;nine, it was pretty bad but almost avant-garde).

Because of Yukiko Horiguchi
Shingo Adachi copied her design

Why exactly that year? There have been good anime since 2017.