Why is Yugioh 5D so overrated?

I've seen all yugioh series in November and December last year. I do not understand why so many people love 5D and hate Zexal, is it just nostalgia? Zexal had a great story, I would say it was a better written series than 5D.

I haven't watched Zexal so I can't commend on that but I agree with 5Ds being overrated. Just felt kind of boring, honestly.

The problem with Zexal is Yuma at the beginning. At the start, he is really bad at dueling and never won a single duel against anyone. He needed Astral's help for a while before becoming a decent duelist and an excellent one at the end. Compared to Judai and Yusei at the start of their own series, Yuma took a long time to learn how to use his deck and Zexal suffered from this.

This I do not understand. People do not like that Yuma has been improving, learning how to duel a bit? Character development? People prefer mary sue? They prefer perfect characters, which already start great

Yuma was so bad you wouldn't be faulted for thinking he was illiterate

Not to mention he clearly had to have built his deck in the first place, but he barely understands how is cards work with each other. It doesn't make any sense.

it (at least at the start) is incredibly childish and makes anyone who liked the serious tone of the original and 5Ds not even give it a chance.

Same as GX, GET YOUR GAME ON.

>ygo
>serius tone

Most people did not actually watch all of 5Ds. Consequently, most people tapped out of Zexal after the first 10 or so episodes (I don't blame them honestly) without realizing how much better it gets later

Hating the entirety of Zexal is a meme. Season 2 had the greatest stretch of episodes out of any Yugioh series. It was that good.

Judai also lost around the beginning of the series, and Yusei was supposed to be an experienced duelist, him making stupid mistakes often wouldn't make any sense, and there is a difference between being a rookie and being a downright retard, don't get me wrong, Zexal II is good, but having to sit through Zexal I is painful, the 1st opening is catchy thought, and I wanted more Anna
meanwhile 5D's can be enjoyed from episode 1, I can see why it wouldn't be the cup of tea of many people, but for me it has the best duels and the hypest OST

it is good, but having to sit through Zexal I just to get there tarnish it a bit, it's not like GX and season 3, where the first 2 seasons were slow but comfy a little bit

Zexal II is good. Zexal I is shit.
That being said, the second arc of 5D's is also shit in many ways.

I did not find Zexal 1 that bad.

There are good villains with good development. Tron, the Arclight brothers, Kaito and Shark, all of them characters better and more developed than any 5D villain

>5D: started good, went horribly bad
>Zexal: started boring, then went ok and after ended good.

It's better to end good, than to start well and get bad

>first 10 episodes are slow and suck
>loses half viewerbase
>im sure glad it got better towards the end

I honesty never understood why people enjoy Zexal II. I always felt that all that Barian bullshit is an overblown train wreck.
I prefer the first Zexal I to the entirety of 5DS anyway; cute girls, an MC that slowly learns the game, good set of rivals and enjoyable duels.

>5D: started good, went horribly bad

only the start of WRGP is really bad, Crash Town was a lot of fun, the WRGP itself was hype and the Ark Cradle was the second best arc

True

All the redpill moments in 5D's are ridiculous.

>I prefer the first Zexal I
I dropped Zexal because Zexal I

Fuck off Rata.

The Best Rivals

I thought this thread was going to be a 5D's circlejerk. Also, we can all agree the tomato duel was the best duel in Zexal.

So which is the actual rival of Zexal?

Kaito. Shark is the villain.

Are you sure about this?

>2 Atems
>No Yugi

Atleast he isn't egao boy

I thought Yumas deck was pretty boring. Hope is the worst. Also Clear Mind will never not be hype as shit

>No Joey or BMG
>No Zane, Aster or Jesse
>No Crow or the Twins
>No Kaito, the roman number brothers or Barians
>No Gongenzaka, Shun, Sora or Sawatari
>No Go or Emma

Pure garbage.

it' about MC,Rival and Heroine and not shitty side characters

Never watched Zexal, but 5Ds felt incredibly bleak and grim after GX. The setting was just super interesting and the characters actually competent and not little children losing their shit over someone playing a trap card.
I remember watching it when I was like 12 or 13 and thinking to myself how badass it is when I just started to realize how shitty and childish a lot of the cartoons I was watching previously were.

Doesn't take away the fact that Asuka, Kotori, Aoi/Blue Angel are more shitty than a lot of side characters.