Whats Sup Forums's opinion on cowboy bebop...

Whats Sup Forums's opinion on cowboy bebop ? Just finished watching it for the first time and it really felt cheap to me, predictable from the start, a lot of plotholes, no big plot twists or anything that spectacular, however the art and the sound really stand off. Otherwise the only other memorable thing is the ,,see you space cowboy". I wonder if yall praise it so much cuz its a classic or am i missing on something ?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WbOUk5fGTKY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The poster child for style over substance. It has a lot of manchildren who will defend it to the death though.

Lurk more, newfag.

Style over substance isn't necessarily a bad thing.

style cant make up for a blant story imo

Not entirely but nothing's perfect anyway. It's a perfectly good show if you go into it knowing what to expect.

I love it. Great characters, great music, great atmosphere, and I love how Spike's character arc concludes.
define substance
and how is it bland

True, but CB was weird in that it actually did have a plot (substance) but refused to expand on it for whatever reason and gave us what seemed like filler instead. The wasted potential still angers me to this day. Inb4 "hurr 2deep4u"

>It's a perfectly good show if you go into it knowing what to expect
No, it's a perfectly good show if you go into it completely blind with no expectations; at least that way you can't be disappointed.

Not him but there's only the barest hint of a consistent story across the episodes and the show just barely finds time to explore each character's backstory before it's over. I can't entirely blame them considering time constraints but considering the setting and characters' potential it was a big disappointment to see how shallowly they ended up exploring any of it.

I feel as though criticizing an episodic show that focuses on stylish adventures (or rather character arcs) that resolve themselves nicely in the manner of Lupin is really unfair. If you're looking for a grand overarching plot with detail into each characters' motivation, this is not the show for that, but the way Bebop manages to flesh out its episodic cast, even if it retains a lot of details, and manages to satisfy a lot of their arcs is I feel what makes it really great.

I agree and that's why I said it's a fine show as long as you know what to expect. But you have to admit that even if the creators were within their rights to make it an episodic adventure show, it's a damn shame to create such great characters and then utilize so little of their story potential.

This is getting rather into the overlying theme of Bebop now, and may not be interpreted by you in the same way as I have, but I consider the fact that because so little of the main characters' past lives is explored and in such an unsatisfactory way (for the characters themselves, maybe the viewer as well), it ties in with a lot of the main cast's regrets that fuel their motivations to resolve their past issues.
Consider the idea that none of the Bebop's crew is satisified with their current position; would it really benefit the viewer to learn even more about their backstory and their past adventures and how they got to the position they find themselves in in the series, when you can generally infer from the episodes that they're unhappy with who they are, and need to resolve their past issues to be happy?
Sure, I would've loved more episodes with their great atmosphere and more time to get know them better, that would've been great as well, but for what it is, Bebop I believe still manages to give us everything we need to be able to fully empathize with the characters, even if we're not given fully fledged stories about them.

I'm amazed at how some people need everything spelled out for them to feel satisfied.
Cowboy Bebop doesn't delve too much in the character's background. It just doesn't matter. The story is now. Their time in the Bebop. Their time as a group.
I don't know why there are so many newfags who need everything chewed out and made explicit. Perhaps they are Narutards who need 3 episodes worth of introduction for the lesser of the characters, who knows.
Even so, their backgrounds are pretty clear:
Spike was at a mafia organization with Vicious and Julia, they both deflect, Vicious rises to power and wants to clean up every possible competitor, Spike included.
Jet was a cop betrayed by a partner so he ended up a bounty-hunter, but his moral code is still as strong as always.
Faye is a woman without past just trying to go by, but her own stupidity and gamble addiction get in the way and eventually she learns about her past (which is gone nevertheless).
Edo is just Edo. She's a kid worried mostly about the now who wants a cool adventure, but eventually realizes that she needs her real family (as crazy as her dad is).

>Whats Sup Forums's opinion on cowboy bebop ?
Sup Forums's opinion is shit regardless of the show.

I believe my opinion on this subject is important as I have spent countless hours watching this show and I have decided that Cowboy Bebop is in fact, shit.

So you spend countless hours on a show you hate.
You, sir, are the epitome of stupid.

I don't hate the show itself, but just about everybody who lists it as one of their favorites is pure cancer, and the anime community would be better off if it had never been made.

Take this to the Toonami message boards or something.

I tried rewatching it a few months ago and IMO it didn't age too well. It's still got it but some of the filler episodes that I enjoyed so much back when it aired just don't do it for me.

The art, sound, cinematography, fight choreography were all superb. And it was cool as shit, especially given when it came out.

The only reason why some hipsters on Sup Forums will pretend not to like it is because its so popular. Sup Forums will forever be a hive of edgy contrarians.

It is remembered to fondly because it was accessible to Western audiences back in the late 90's. It was the first "good" anime (i.e. not a battle shounen aimed at a 6-11 year old age demographic) that many Westerners were exposed to.

It would not be a stretch to say that Bebop has probably created more long-term anime "fans" than any other show, ever, and is greatly appreciated as a classic show largely for this reason.

The Anime community would be better off if 95% of all the shounen shit had never been made.

Cowboy Bepop is a solid 5/7.

It's fantastic but hated by script monkeys and plotfags who can't into visual storytelling or character growth that isn't spelled out to them and contrarians.

People that say 'they didnt delve into their backstories enough' must have missed that episode about Jet's ex, or Faye's little cryo episode. Ed is a kid and Ein is a dog, they have next to no backstory and we still get shown the important parts of it (Eds father is nuts and abandoned her, Ein is a datadog etc). The only one who's past is left slightly vague is Spike but the broad strokes are still presented, and thats enough.

The fuck did you people want, a bunch of flashback episodes?

Also CB gave us this.

Mushroom Samba.

It's another

>what's Sup Forums opinon
>let me give you a rundown of my cheap generic criticisms I have
>I know it's popular on Sup Forums - let me tell you why I think you like it!

These threads are garbage like the OP.

>best art
>best music
its mostly episodic so i can see why some might not like it but ive always found it amazing that every single episode has a unique soundtrack and a satisfying little story

It had some 10/10 episodes for sure. Art and music is great too.

I never got why such a hatred was developed for episodic shows.

I bet you have no issue with the millionth substanceless moe thread though.

i dislike them myself but bebop is just too comfy not to love

Fucking why though? Someone please explain to me why its such a turn off. Is it just because I was raised on shit like the x-files that I cant understand this?

It's an edgecool series that appeals to teenage males. It's hyped by teenage males and it's appreciation is perpetuated by new generations of teenage males. Congratulations. Now watch Ghost in the Shell, Texhnolyze, Ergo Proxy, Serial Experiments Lain, Samurai Champloo, TTGL, FLCL, and FMAB if you want more shlock that people assume is some kind if cherished item of the medium due to the thousands of faceless children who've watched less than fifty series freaking out about them. Oh and Madoka Magica too.

>Whats Sup Forums's opinion on cowboy bebop ?
Sup Forums in general doesn't like it. Many because it is popular among normal people. Most people like me who like it have already discussed about it to death so we really have no desire in "defending" it. Like it or hate it. Do whatever you want.

So you gonna tell us what you think are some good shows or are you just going to shit and run?

I watched Bebop back in '06 along with a couple of other series and I was so unimpressed I didn't get into anime for another five or six years.

and Ping Pong, now.

K-ON and Pop Team Epic

It's because it appealed to westerners that many people dislike it even if they never seen it

It became a poster child for certain people who think that the Anime Industry should pander to westerners and how Moe/Shounen/Harem/SoL are for Neckbeard Weebs

I don't see the relevance, if you want recommendations go to . I mainly watch mahou shoujo and parody. Google "mahou shoujo comedy", pick a series, and attack it if you are just looking to rip on something I like because I ripped on something you like. I will probably like whatever series you find, but I won't do your homework for you.

Its relevant because knowing the tastes of critics is important to understand whether their critique is worth anything or not.

I'm a critic, now? Why am I not getting paid, what the fuck. Pay me.

It's good looking with cool fight scenes and eclectic music, but vapid as fuck. You can tell it's trying really hard to be 'cool' but it just doesn't have the substance to merit the endless attention it gets.

The visuals aren't even that good, the show just has a high budget and thus is well animated, but there are plenty of movies and shows you can say that about. Sword of the Stranger is a well animated action/adventure story that has plenty of heart to back it up, and Angel's Egg is style over substance but its style is imaginative as fuck. Cowboy Bebop is just... Really fucking empty. Competent and entertaining, but there is NOTHING behind that basic competence of interest.

>Series engineered after and to appeal to western audiences
>Westerners who prefer western media to eastern media largely enjoy it
>Westerners who prefer eastern media to western media largely dislike it
I WONDER WHAT HAPPENED

A critic is just someone that critiques something, we're all critics here. Terrible, unpaid asshole critics, but critics nonetheless.

>we're all critics here
Speak for yourself. I'm a little anime girl.

I'm so tired of this thread. I didn't even read the OP because I know what thread this is. This is a classic repeat of the; "Someone just watched cowboy bebop for the first time and thinks their opinion NEEDS to be shared with Sup Forums. Also, with their incredible insight and critical views, they and ONLY THEY. (They're special) thought it was OVER. RATED! HARUMPH!" It's incredible. What kind of self focused retard thought process do you have to have to do this, you absolute donkey. Let me guess. The next thing you're going to do.. Is watch Neon Genesis Evangelion, and feel the compulsion to make this exact same thread, except you thought THAT was over-rated. Or maybe you even thought, (Insert any classic older Anime here) was over-rated! Wow! What an interesting, and unique view that's completely special and only YOU have! You're really something! You complete fucking retard.

>thinks visual storytelling is just referring to the quality of the art and animation themselves
Don't talk to me ever again. Your incompetence at talking about this shit is appalling. None of your criticisms hold any weight to them because they're vague, poorly worded, and come from a lack of understanding of animation in general. Your thoughts are more vapid than the show or the movies you brought up.

>getting this fucking triggered because someone doesn't like your Nip cartoon
There's nothing about Cowboy Bebop's visual storytelling that stands out at all, you butthurt faggot.

This happens way too often

Objectively good anime

If you dont like it, you are objectively wrong and have objectively bad taste. You dont want to argue against objectives, do you?

>nothing stands out
This isn't a good or well-thought out criticism whatsoever you fucking worm. You've said nothing of value about Cowboy Bebop.
Nothing's objectively good or bad. Art holds no inherent quality.

>This isn't a good or well-thought out criticism whatsoever you fucking worm.
What is there to criticize? You just blankly asserted that you were super duper mad at people who couldn't recognize the show's brilliant visual storytelling, and then proceeded to do provide no arguments to back that assertion up. Even now, you're just furious that someone dares to disagree with you about it.

Not sure, I guess most people expect a large, overarching plot due to the huge amount of nostalgiafags hyping it up in Bebop's case. Also, a lot of people on Sup Forums love to binge and that's not that viable with episodic shows.

Ed saved it

youtube.com/watch?v=WbOUk5fGTKY

Ed is lolrandumb humor personified. He is to anime what GIR the robot is to western cartoons.

>he

I think it was more the consistent theme rather than an amazing or groundbreaking story that made it popular.

The consistent sense of loneliness, even with a bunch of friends. The feeling like you're just existing in a time and place rather than actually living.

Sure the western tone, style, and music were all great. The stories were ok (some episodes were fun, while others were just kind of there) but you're more watching to see the main character's reaction to a situation rather than hoping to get some sort of fulfillment out of it.

And it did kind of break some different ground. Spike didn't become romantically involved with Faye, although the subject was touched on. The relationships with his other shipmates deepens over time, and didn't remain stagnate.

Basically, there's not a ton that makes it some "stand up and applause" level of quality, but it has the right tone, characters, and design to appeal to most. And that in itself is a success.

the anime equivalent of a quentin "lord of the feet" tarantino movie