Nonsense manga with a very small percentage of genuinely funny/witty pages

>nonsense manga with a very small percentage of genuinely funny/witty pages
>few good pages circulate
>impression is made that it's entirely witty/funny

>adaptation of nonsense manga uses tv style nonsense (ala late late night adult swim; XRA, Mike Tyson Mysteries, Eric Andre)
>everyone expected nonsense tv to be genuinely witty/funny
>anger ensues

the show being bad isn't some kind of complex joke. it's a weird format that doesn't have that much face value. it got too much hype as some "comedy masterpiece", and it's not one. maybe we'll get some funny bits in the coming episodes (the idol show fakeout was really funny) but the show really can't be considered consistent with its content.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/uZ5mD3Sn96U
youtu.be/sxkS5Rzr4W0
youtu.be/ibqfPnG74jE
strawpoll.me/14785258
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

To be honest, you're completely right but that doesn't make it bad. The format of the original manga as you pointed out is 4-koma which means some will hit, some will not. Similarly to what you said about the manga, there will be good webms circulating propagating it as a comedy masterpiece when it's not.

I don't think it's a problem though since comedy is entirely subjective and one with such a heavy basis on referential humour can't possibly appeal to everyone. But the people that get the majority of them will love it.

A fitting representation for the rotting corpse that is the anime industry.

Fucking thank you for this OP.

Probably 99% of PTE was never funny, or at best was like a half-smirk funny. People just knew it for those maybe 10ish skits posted everywhere that actually are really fucking funny. It could be a long while until we get to cuckoo clock or hambagah or lemon faces. It's not impossible that they might not even do all of the famous ones (like if they weren't big in Japan). What then, huh?

I always knew bkub way more for his Chen comics (Charm) which are far more half-cute half-funny. PTE just goes all-in on funny and doesn't have that other avenue to fall back on like Charm did. So, if PTE doesn't do it for you with the humor then it's just boring lame shit, and like I said about 99% of the 4koma is in fact just that.

So because most of what we see isn't really that funny, the people who hoped it would at least be funny are annoyed. The only other thing remotely known for from PTE was that it's hyped by meme kids as "like a shitpost manga" - they don't actually like or care for the show, they like the effect on the audience and just use it as a vector to shitpost from. In this context the show is really just a big useless pile of garbage and they don't even care because "lol it's supposed to be bad", like that means it's watchable in any way. Ok buddy.

I like nonsense late night TV humor.
Why are people so upset about it?

>he doesn't like fidget spinner jokes

>nu-a speedreads/pretend to have read bkub, expects comedy masterpiece
>disappointed and angry they got shitposting in anime form
Anyone who's read bkub knows what to expect pretty sure you're just swallowing bait whole, just like you swallow dicks OP

Who are you quoting?

No, he just doesn't get them

People only care about PTE for reaction images, no-one actually finds this shit funny

Speak for yourself.
The anime was hilarious.

It was unbearably bad.

>anger ensues
Feels more like the typical complaints whenever a new season begins. There are two main problems: 1. When a comedy fails, it fails miserably. 2. The troll wannabes just saw the reaction of the first episode and picked it up as their favorite to piss off new people here. This is probably like the new Umaru. Thankfully the system is not in their favor. You just need to hide/ignore their threads. It is as easy as that. Once the whole season has started and everyone is in their favorite anime threads of that season almost no one will care.

>people don't understand it so they get mad instead
Poetry.

>>anger ensues

no it didnt

Okotta?

I am legitimately mad at this show. I was expecting something no less than a masterpiece, the likes of Azumanga Daioh or Cromartie High School for months now. I was so hyped and then today it came out... Needless to say it was below expectations.

I re-watched the episode several times to see where I must've "missed" the jokes, because I didn't laugh at all the first few times I watched it. Then I realized... those were the jokes.

This show felt like it was insulting my intelligence all the way through. Instead of a show with substance and wit I get this... 24 minutes of NOTHING but NONSENSICAL randomness. Can someone please explain what the hell is this tripe? Where are the jokes? Where is the humor? Where are the backstories? What even is the plot? There's none of that here. This show is like an empty void of nothingness. I'm sorry for lashing out but really, it just bothers me that some studio out there spent time and money into this. And it bothers me more that people actually like and defend(?) this show... like how? I'm usually not one to judge one's taste but there's literally nothing redeemable about this show. If you like this show congrats, you're telling me you're brain dead and I won't waste anymore time talking with you. If you actually spend money on this, you are effectively telling the industry that you want more studios to produce trash like this. You are giving a giant middle finger to studios who actually put effort into their shows and writers/producers who work their fucking ass off to make quality work. I really do hope this show flops. I hope it flops and whoever was in charge of this gets fired and never gets a job in the industry again. I hope they go homeless and they starve. You think that's harsh? It was harsher watching 14 minutes of this show. I just want to remove everything about this show out of my head.

Okotta.

you just didn't "get" the show

cute ED

this shitstain is just a "haha lel xd so randubm" type of ""comedy"". Its fucking cancerous

>Bkubfags in full anticipation of the anime
>Newfags think it might be good
>Newfags complain when it's just a string of incoherent bullshit
Funny thing is, I think no one actually said they expect something good. Most of us kinda expected it to be like this, down to the voice actors.
It even exceeded my expectations. It doesn't look too bad and I got some nice reactions out of it

The romcom fake OP is stuck in my head.

>the likes of Azumanga Daioh or Cromartie High School

No wonder you got dissapointed if you have those expectations THAT high.

>he didnt get the jokes

you have to watch 10000 anime/ play thousands of games to get the "jokes" xdd

Its just the fresh new pasta.

>XRA
>nonsense
low IQ detected

XRA is actually really funny though, and doesn't use pop culture references at all
there is a right and wrong way to do surreal humor, the right way is clever and original (like XRA), the wrong way is just lolrandom bullshit like this show

haha silly user, can't you see this show is the epitome of comedy, if only you could see it, you would be enlightened, your life would be bliss

but no, you must remain uneducated as to what True Comedy is, it is a sad fate indeed, i do hope that your eyes are someday opened

>the wrong way to do surreal humor
This was what I was hoping for though. The voices, the hoshiiro fakeout, the pop culture references littered everywhere.
I was expecting a pop team epic anime and it was delivered. If they had dared rewrite the material to follow a standard 4koma format and actually have punchlines I'd be pretty upset.
It's not a good anime but that's exactly what I wanted.

There were tons of references, the show is meta as hell and does not care about your feelings. Plot? The fact that you brought that up shows that you really didn't understand what you were getting into.

The whole anime is meta shitposting and reference comedy, it spits all over what anime typically is and that's the point. I for one just watched the episode just now, and i had to pause it to breath twice.

If you don't like it, that's fine. Just don't watch it, and don't spend your time in a pointlessly trying to call a meme show "shit", what else did you expect from a meme manga?

>Diabolical fidget spinner laughter

Is it really? Well i spent too much time writing this piece of shit so I'm posting it.

>unfunny shit
>fans that try to pass it as "too deep for you"
>more threads than Dragon Ball Super
It can't die soon enough.

look kid, maybe if you stopped being such a stick in the mud

I just watched the first episode and laughed my ass offf during the first "half". While the absurb gags and references were what I expected, the presentation (ie. both loud as fuck and unfitting music, weird transitions, repetitive sound effects, random seiyuu etc.) was the thing that really nailed it. I actually closed my player when the OP started playing, thinking that the uploader had messed their filenames, before realizing this was PPTP and tried watching it again till the end.

While I probably would have prefered a more orthodox adaptation, this is just fine and actually more accurate to the message bkub is trying to convey with the franchise (eg. the cafe collaboration where menu had "subculture kuso-onna pancake" and their background track was carneval music with explosion SFX mixed in).

Even though this series is in its own dimension, it's still surprising how many anons can't into absurb comedies. Seriously, you're missing out on lot of stuff, including Nichijou.

Anyone have the screen of the nips and their 67% of dislike?

It's weird seeing people complain about pop culture references when that is what Pop Team Epic 4-koma was composed of mostly.

Are you trying to be a copypasta?

Also, Nichijou isn't absurdist comedy. It's very formulaic, skit-based comedy with traditional punchlines and everything.

Pani Poni Dash
>References a limitless range of media that 99.999% of views won't get
>Builds characters and plots from cliches and subversion
>Is bizarre and incomprehensible to most people
>Is actually interesting and original in its own right because of this
So, is this the series that Pop Team Epic viewers think they are watching?

I expressed my honest opinion. Here's your traditional punchline.

Why are you talking about comedy? The whole appeal of the PTE is exactly the "nonsense".

It is a thing westerners look at and immidiately think: JAPAN. Just like Japanese advertisement and tv shows.

Pani Poni Dash references are 2ch and general Japanese shit, nothing obscure for the late night viewership at the time it aired.

I'm really surprised SHAFT didn't get a hold of the show since it's essentialy what the do best. But you know, those that do not know god...

>anger ensures
>small percentage of enuinely funny/witty pages
Eat shit and die faggot, what a coincidence that all of the sudden Poptepipic is unfunny and the rick and morty edits pops up after the anime is aired and starts to get popular, isn't it?
Only in this contrarian shithole that is this whole site. I thought only a selected boards had this chronical hispterism but it seems that this just affects Sup Forums as a whole

On Sup Forums
>poptepipic or any other title is greeted and funny, commonly used on the board
>becomes famous/trends after the first anime episode
>suddenly is reddit and everyone hates it despite that it didn't change the nature of the title at all

On Sup Forums
>unknown artist brings something new to the table or has its own unique touch on the songs/music he composes
>said artist gets attention, start appearing in mainstream platforms
>magically becomes shit taste and belongs to a niche subreddit

On Sup Forums
>new game from indie developer makes a fun game, anons love it, proper criticism to fix the issues of the game
>game catch the attention of people from mainstream platforms
>despise it didn't change anything, Sup Forums now hates the game because it's trash, is not fun, and any mention of it will ensure either a or reddit redirection post

The list goes on and on and on even on boards that it shouldn't be possible this kind of mindset in the first place, like /an/, /k/ or even the diverse twits at Sup Forums We shit other places for being filled with normalfags and shit but ironically at the same time we have become what we hate, complete and utter hipsters that hates fun in the first second that it becomes popular
I've been here for so long and still don't get it how te fuck can you live with such masochistic mindset without killing yourself after a couple of years.

>nonsensical randomness
It's a self-aware story about a 4koma manga adaption locked in a popularity battle with other shows with which it shares its debut season. It's just one big meta joke. Whether one enjoys that or not, what is not to get? Why do people keep saying that PTE is just random nonsense when it clearly has a directed intention?

Brainlets can't understand meta-commentary, and just presume the thought space of a show to be just as shallow intellectually as themselves.

boils down to either
>waaaah jokes and humour dont exist outside of verbal jokes with setups and punchlines and payoffs its not funny you're all braindead waaah
and
>i dont understand any references because my powerlevel is low therefore its randumb reddit humour

Its a fucking pasta.

Poptepic is jap Limmy

youtu.be/uZ5mD3Sn96U
youtu.be/sxkS5Rzr4W0
youtu.be/ibqfPnG74jE

>tv style nonsense (ala late late night adult swim)
all I expected and it delivered on that, it's just 2-3 minutes too short per episode
1st male VA for popuko and female VA of pipimi are great

Pasta or not, it seems that a lot of people are echoing similar sentiments even without using the exact same words. "Sup Sup Forums, my name is John, and I hate every single one of you, etc, etc" is a pasta because the formula is sacred; nobody messes with it. The reaction to PTE ep1 is more like a shitload of long-winded, subjective complaints rather than any discussion about what the series' first episode tried to do. You point out the real copypasta (the one true unending text wall that everyone recognizes and regularly uses) to me out of this utter fucking mess that has occured over the past day on Sup Forums, and maybe I'll concede that idea to you.

Seems to be doing well enough in sales
>***,*31位/***,*32位 (***,176 pt) [*,**0予約] 2018/01/31 ポプテピピック vol.1(Blu-ray)

Highest ranking show currently. If it maintains that kind of position it will be a pretty big seller.

Don't forget to buy Skyrim: Weeb Edition

are there pop team epic mods?

Spot the newfag.

I think your trying to hard to fit in

Honestly, I expected a boring 1:1 adaptation with a bit of motion. It exceeded everything I could hope for.

First episode was good.
if you don't get joke it's because you don't know much of Japanese VA.
Hochu Otshuka and Masashi Ehara who are the First part VA are hell popular in Japan.
get to my weeb level.

The only famous male voice actors Sup Forums knows are koyasu and wakamoto.

I'm still trying to come to terms that Sup Forums likes this show. I've spent my entire life here talking about Eva and Geass and now you're telling me I'm supposed to laugh with you?
I've had enough Sup Forums.... This is the end........

Beef.

Why not chicken?

i think the whole purpose of this anime is make everyone insane as possible and destroy there life.

it's like watching a Vine video

>classic anime full of references that user doesn't get
Ha ha what a laugh riot! Classic japanese humor haha so weird.
>brand new anime full of references that user doesnt get except for 2 internationally known pop culture references which pleb "trying to fit in" newfag user immediately gets
THIS IS REEEEEEEEEEEEEDDIT

have you considered pork?

>tfw both versions of the voice acting were bad

>tfw the female voices were as funny as the male ones

Let's settle this once and for all:
strawpoll.me/14785258

Loved it.

where is the half and half

That's haram

Why do only people that are shitting one this show,creating the threads?If you don't care at all don't make this bait threads and grow the fuck up child

The more newfags hate it for "muh secret club" reasons the more I love it.
Only one episode in and butthurt we haven't experienced in years.

You're overestimating everything

The catalog filled with Umaru still tops the 3 or 4 PTE threads

It's insulting to compare this pile of trash to most of those other shows. There's actually jokes there. There's comedic writing. Neither of those rely on posting up references and acting like that's a joke.

I agree in a way, though. The manga is mostly trash and anybody who was hyping it up is either immensely retarded or only knew of it through osmosis.