So, what's Sup Forums's thoughts on the new Devilman anime? I thought it was alright

So, what's Sup Forums's thoughts on the new Devilman anime? I thought it was alright.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=23Hovo63hp4
youtube.com/watch?v=nNooqvMoDSI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Watched it because of Yuasa, first time hearing about devilman.
Though I accidentally spoiled it to myself when I went researching after the announcement the ending still got me. Here I am, emotionally devastated and crushed and at the same time thoroughly enjoyed everything crybaby had to offer. It really did fuck me up. Definitely going to rewatch it later, maybe after reading the manga. Definitely left an impact on me.

Akira had a hard life

I don't know, faggot. Why don't you ask the other five threads?

Came out all at once so it's backlogged. Probably will never get to it

I found it even better than the manga. The great moments of the manga were even greater in the anime but what i really liked was that the anime actually showed the battle between devilman and Satan. In the manga they literally skipped the whole war between devilmen and devils.
Also the post-credit scene, are we actually going to get a violence jack anime?

>Bad animation (excluding the devil scenes)
>Terrible rap scenes
>Needless plot changes that do nothing to improve the story
>Lazy background art
>Slice of life scenes are visually boring and flat, like they were directed by another person
>No sideburns

Kinda funny at times but not very good.

>rap scenes
Truly a netflix original.

Knew of Devilman but this was my first time checking it out. It was a wild fucking ride, but the pacing was absolutely break-neck and the animation would go from weirdly psychedelic or cartoonishly exaggerated to what looked like artist's lazy scribbles on construction paper.

Overall it was good but pretty uneven. Worth a watch if you're willing to overlook some of the flaws and don't mind excessive gore and sex.

The fall of humanity was better handled but there where some awful plot changes. Overall more consistent than the manga but doesn't reach the same heights

Netflix ruins everything.

Meh.

>Terrible rap scenes
I literally laughed out loud at the pier scene. I thought it was supposed to be comedic, then they kept coming back. Still not sure if it was supposed to be taken seriously or not.

Super rough around the edges and I still don't like the Flash art style, but it was still a pretty enjoyable and affecting watch.

9.5/10 IMO. Are people going to be talking about this anime for years to come? Could it be the next Eva?

People will revist the 80's OVAs and realize how shit this one was

So great but won't get much exposure due to Netflix's obsession with binge-watching

I think the worldwide Netflix release already gives it more exposure than most anime ever

Mako best girl

Should have specified. Meant on a the web

It was a goofy mess full of tonal and pacing problems.

So to recap:

At the end, Satan is sooowwry, but God nukes him for a second time anyway? What's up with the two moons?

I think you're rating it pretty highly. It was good but had plenty of flaws. If anything I think it's neat that Devilman is actually being talked about among my friends and people with a nutflex account.

The moon is made up of the fragments of earth left after being nuked by the angels.

The 2Pac poster made my day.

This is some Eva level shit.

fuck you i liked it

I thought the butterfly rapper was endearing in a silly way. He seemed like a good person which is why his fate was terrible.

No it doesn't, fuck you.

Is she a different version of Miko Kawamoto or is an original character?

10/10, it was okay

The rap scenes were good though.
The rhymes were fresh, also they had a greek chorus role of sorts.

the changes made to modernize the story just reminded me how much i hate the modern world

I agree with this.
Animation was bad sometimes; but studios don't want to take chances when animation budgets are high. Going back to cruder animation and wilder ideas would be a good trend in anime.

It had a lot of flaws and when they used stuff from the manga most of the time it was bad but the original stuff was good I had a lot of fun with it so imo 8.5/10 my opinion might be shit but hey it was a fun ride

The pace was break neck but at least it never got boring at any time and that is more than you can say about 95% of anime.
Also the rap troupe was fun, shame the manlet was a traitor.

youtube.com/watch?v=23Hovo63hp4

It was alright. Only being hyped up because babbies first graphic violence/full frontal sex scenes.

not in Japan

>that is more than you can say about 95% of anime
I disagree

Pretty much this. It was a mess.

Outside of Netflix being retarded per the usual, it's fine. Followed the manga nicely enough and hit all beats like it was supposed to

I've always been more of a Guyver man myself though.

Fucking depressing. Ryo was fucking detestable. But I guess he managed to make his own hell. Hope Akira and Miki reunite in heaven, if it exists in that world.

IMHO Garbage. Garbage pacing and garbage animation. Even the main substance wasn't that great, it wasn't bad but not great.

>It's on netflix, so that means normalfags are going to going to watch it
Do you know how many shows are on Netflix? And how many of those are found based on algorithms? Literally the same weeb audience who was going to watch Devilman anyway is going to know about it.

it's too late
tumblr knows about devilman now

I feel pretty guilty because I dismissed it as a badly written show that you only watch if you want to see some neat visuals based on the first 2 episodes and shat on it a LOT here when I started watching. But as it went on I think the Geass writer guy started getting the themes more and more and while not perfect, the finale was extremely entertaining during the cool scenes, legit sad during the emotional scenes and outright poetic at times in its thematic execution.

It's a flawed script and it's very easy to pick holes in it, moreso than the manga, but I love the visual mix of 70s Nagai and Yuasa and the writing got better and better as it went along.
>don't mind excessive gore and sex.
Those are good things if you actually like Nagai.
>Watched it because of Yuasa, first time hearing about devilman.
Arghhhhhhhh

I honestly have no idea who or what that is even supposed to be.

Why does Satan have boobs and a dick?

its miki and miki
here's another

There were always people like that, but Nagai manga will never catch on too much with that crowd because it's even more problematic than Kill la Kill and even harder to justify as anything but a "problematic fave". ESPECIALLY Crybaby; Yuasa included the Siren rape so you literally have a rapist hero, Ryo is less redeemable, the one gay guy is a coward and the only truly positive MAYBE-gay character (not nearly as overt as the guy) is a girl with bouncy tits twice the size of her head.

Besides I know Nagai fangirls who are actually cool and not the "I'm gonna make pretty characters ugly to make myself feel better" types.

That's not what I said

I think this explains it.

because they're an angel, they're cast in the image of god which means alpha and omega, male and female, everything and nothing. It's why Satan knew everything and could feel nothing.

Implicitly it was.

I didn't mean to imply that then, sorry to confuse you

The point was he did feel though, on some hidden level, and Akira wanted to get him to open up.

Agreed which is what made the ending work, it was only the loss of akira that actually made him feel anything. Akira was a surrogate for Satan's emotions, when he lost that him suddenly he had to actually feel things himself instead of letting Akira do it for him.

Man, the original manga was incredibly fun.
>MY FATHER DIED
I just started watching this one and although they do change the feel of a lot of things, in a way modernized I guess, like the thugs being cringey rappers, it does retain the overall tone so to speak.
I'm not comfortable with all the changes so far, but it's not as bad as I expected.

But what I wanted to ask Sup Forums, the part where he does drugs at the party, is that still there? It was super funny.

Not at a party.

i dropped after a few minutes into the first episode due to the shit art and animation.

is it actually good?

>These are athletes
>They run 100m in 11 seconds
>Those arms
It triggers me more than their ugly faces.

>shit art and animation
It's more of an artstyle rather than lack of quality. Though I guess it's not up to everyone's taste.

its a thought-provoking masterpiece that all future anime will have to be measured against

Massively mixed bag.

It has great animation, it has abhorent animation.

It has great art, it has shit art with little no perspective.

It has themes, and ideas, but none are explored in any meaningful way.

It takes sex and drugs and presents them more maturely than any show made in the last 8 years for sure.

It is also extremely juvenile and doesn't earn the emotional pay offs it set up.

It also feels like it might be saying a lot about some interesting things, but it really says nothing.

It has gore and edge, but it's as tactful as pupa.

I really not sure how I feel about it. I definitely don't think it's a masterpiece, but I'm not sure if it's terrible or not.

>reddit spacing
>completely pointless post

it's the faggot again. Hopefully your attempts at suicide got further today.

MAN this song.
Berghain tier stuff, fuark.
youtube.com/watch?v=nNooqvMoDSI

Go back if you care that much. Whining about it here just shows that you browse the website, while the majority of people here don’t and don’t care about its contents.

Would you go to a sabbath party?
It basically guarantees you get laid, but there is a chance of a psycho attacking you with a broken bottle and then wicked shit happens.

I used to go to those kinds of things. It's not that bad, but it's pretty expensive in the end and your life ends up revolving around them.

>when your rhymes are so stale she cries

>when you are literally roasting your own squad

fuck, forgot picture

>It takes sex and drugs and presents them more maturely than any show made in the last 8 years for sure.

This nigga serious?

5/10
A lot of things done right and so many things done wrong. The pacing is so uneven it hurts and becomes a mess of a plot.
Still, despite having sorta shitty art at times and having a rushed story, the heart there makes this not a complete waste of my time.
Still a disappointment.

>tfw wanted to dislike the rap but the rhymes were fun and the guys voices were pleasant to hear as opposed to western shit

rhyming in japanese is easy mode though.
Still the guys were pretty good. If you care about their music, its KENTHE390, Hannya, AFRA and Young Dais

>They foreshadow the infighting in the group right at the beginning
:(

Netflix always puts their "exclusives" up on a pedestal. Normies will see it.

>Morning
>People love Crybaby
>Evening
>People start hating it
So what demographic likes it and which hates it? I thought it was good for what it was worth but Ryo was the worst aspect of it, his character just went full retarded.

Can you present something that has more mature sex scenes then this?

Pretty decent, though there were a lot of problems. Rather uneven pacing, those fucking rappers which felt off, the art looks more like it belongs in one of those anime studio anthologies (Animatrix, Halo Legends, Ect.) and can be incredibly uneven, making the fight scenes rather disappointing. Watched the English dub, and the performances were pretty good, although Akira's Devilman voice should've been changed, in my opinion. Ryo's design was kind of shit, I think it was mostly because of the hair.

The pacing is all over the place. While it was nice to see some scenes like Ryo's explanation be handled in a somewhat brisk pace, having to cut right to a party after the Jinmen fight felt incredibly rushed, same with a lot of scenes, really. Almost has the pacing of a modern Nickelodeon cartoon.

Overall, pretty okay, manga's better in a lot of ways, though.

If this piece of trash is rated higher than NGE, it will basically prove that anime fans literally no taste in anything. NGE was a piece of trash as well but better animated.

Pretty good. I'd rank it somewhere in the middle of Yuasa's works.

>are we actually going to get a violence jack anime?

there is one

Enjoyed it, but wished it was 12 or 13 eps

MAN MAN MAN MAN MAN MAN MAN HUMAN

Interesting watch, pacing was off the rails though. Don't know if that would be improved by reading the manga though.

I didn't understand this scene in ep3. Isn't SHE Miko? Why would she answer to Miki?

She's called Miki, but people call her Miko to differentiate between short hair perflat akira's friend Miki and cowtits insecure af Miki.

so they're both named miki?

In this instance, she's just Miki.
In other versions she's Mikiko.

>watching western anime
Dumb burgers

Normalfags see only what they want want to see, flops still happen there you know, Santa Clara Diet being a good example

>normies
Get out

Nobody cares about shows that get all of its episodes released.
Just look at ReLife.Was a great anime but got fucked by its release schedule(or lack of it)

Mikiko is the chick with the acid tits

Didn't think much of the first episodes, but it became better as it kept going. Is actually pretty good. Netflix really is saving anime

By episode 3 you won't even notice the animation (except for the runing scenes).

That is Miko

Upboated!