I didnt understand

i didnt understand

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-humor
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Pop Team Epic

11 more weeks

A brainlet, I reckon.

I've been watching anime since the mid eighties. I saw Macross before Robotech finished airing here. I had 4th generation bootleg betamax tapes of Armor Hunter Mellowlink. I watched every Brave series as they aired. I lived in Yokohama for ten years, and waited IN QUEUE for the laserdisc release of the original To Terra. I've had lunch with Kunihiko Ikuhara, smoked a cigarette with Watanabe after a Seat Belts show. I've done it all, I've seen it all. I am a qualified expert.

And Pop Team Epic is THE greatest anime I have ever seen. Bar none. This is where the medium has been going since day one. From the very first cel, it was all leading to Pop Team Epic. Mark my words, this show will go down in history. It will change anime in a way not seen since Shogoki took her first steps in NGE.

It is based on "Lowest Common Denominator" jokes.
Even a "rude" response is consider a joke

You get the reference, then you pat yourself in the back for getting it. That is the punchline.

I don't know what's worse, the anime itself, or the people that think they're so smert for the anime they have to joke about how smart the people that like are

is it THAT reliant on references? haven't seen it yet and wanna know if i should pick it up. i didn't get about half of them while reading the manga.

i did like jokes that weren't reference-based tho

there are no jokes. it's just a bunch of references which are used as excuses to draw the characters a certain way. it's meant to be light-hearted shit that you don't have to think about as you watch

Honestly I was never sure how much I didn't get because I wasn't aware of the context, and how much I didn't get because it was just some weird Japanese humor I had no frame of reference to.

same, exactly how i felt

sometimes that worked and out of the randomness i laughed, but at other times i knew i wasn't "getting it" and just found myself bored

honestly, references shouldn't make up for more than the half of your material, since the odds are a large portion of your public won't get it. just throw one every once in a while

there are about 3 real jokes and the rest is references.

Anyone who thinks the references were the point didn't get it at all.

Is this the Steven Universe of anime?

what was the point?

Like anything with references you'll appreciate it better if you understand the references, like I didn't even catch the skyrim one because fuck shit games and it was like on for like 2 seconds, but it didn't make it any funnier to me knowing what it was. It's the absurdity that's supposed to be comedic

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-humor

>Anti-humor is a type of indirect humor that involves the joke-teller delivering something which is intentionally not funny, or lacking in intrinsic meaning. The practice relies on the expectation on the part of the audience of something humorous, and when this does not happen, the irony itself is of comedic value.

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Poptepipic

there was more reference ""humor"" than the fast cuts from the evil corp.
Mario Cape.
CT
Finds a Way
etc

>tfw to inteligent to understand Pop Team Epic

>haven't seen it yet and wanna know if i should pick it up.

Literally watch the CptnNameless videos first and then consider the "real" adaptation as a tie-in series instead

But the one you posted is actually funny

the point is that it's a fucking anime SERIES and that all these idiots are judging it just because of the first episode.

>Poptepipic
>funny

You don't understand

It was all part of the villains' plan to selectively bastardize the source material for anime viewers, whether by rapid shallow references, cutting punchlines to make room for more scenes, using the animated medium to make strips "flashier" at the cost of their humor like the Mario Cape, etc. The joke was making a low-key absurdist strip loud and obnoxious for TV.

post-postmodern cancer

Why does every PTE thread devolve into conspiracy theories so quickly?

It's not a conspiracy if it's in the episode.

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Pop Team Epic. The humour is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of pop culture references most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer’s head. There’s also Popuko's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into her characterisation- her personal philosophy draws heavily from Touhou doujins, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realise that they’re not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE.

>pick it up
It's like an episode of robot chicken meets animated eric andre, you don't really need to 'pick it up', its just seeing how much they can get away with actual shitposting on cable TV before they get shut down
Its entertaining

Is funny because both of us watched Frozen

fucking takeshobo

Sup Forums: the anime

when you take a shit stand up and look in the toilet do you not understand what just happened?

>they haven't shown us any footage until last saturday because the show is absolute kino in the making
In reality, this show is probably just shit as was intended.

The entire fucking mario cape joke was lost without using an actual mario cape unless you were familiar enough with the 4koma to recognize it anyway, which only made you realize how short it fell.

More like reddit: the anime

Just marathoned the first episode. Did I like it, Sup Forums?

you have mixed feelings but will wait until the next two are out before drawing your conclusion

You are physically repulsed and a little bit angry, and yet you find yourself inexplicably wanting more.

I have an IQ of 740, do you think I can understand it?

no sorry

Can somebody explain this? Is it just meant to be funny because of the randomness or is it a reference to something?

>To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Poptepipic

Poptepipic used a lot of references from 80's, 90's anime and games. I would find it dubious if anyone under 28 laughed as much as I did.

>i didnt understand
Of course you didn't, you ironic weeaboo

>why isnt junji ito scary
>why isnt pop team epic funny
coincidence?

It's referencing the movie Frozen and the key at the end is made out of Jello.

What if PTE turns out to be scary instead?

it is scary, scary how bad it is

Oh well I never watched US cgi, thanks.
Guess I am really too stupid for it.

The voices alone make me lose my shit. Fantastic delivery.

Will normalfags like this? It seems like even japanese anime fans hate it.

>reddit didn't understand the comedy in Mayoiga
>expecting reddit to understand the comedic genius in PTE

Is this pasta?

I don't see why anyone would think Poptepipic is going to continue being a referencefest when the first episode of Osomatsu-san exists.

Will Daichi save this show?

isn't it only supposed to be 80% randum 20% you must be this japanese to get the joke or did the anime change it?

You realize a lot of jokes from the manga reference western shit, right? Oh wait, shit you don't because you don't know about western pop culture either.

In this moment I realize why Sup Forums is disappointed in Pop Team Epic. They were expecting pure absurdist humor because all of the referential comedy flew over their heads when reading the manga.

I hope one of the episodes has the girls shitting on this season's anime just for a Ito segment.

Are you upset?

Norm MacDonald did the anti-humor thing at the roast of Bob Saget. What this does is what Tim & Eric do, which isn't the same thing as anti-humor. The nuance is that the audience itself becomes the joke, not the joke. With anti-humor you're supposed to recognize that the joke teller is intentionally not being funny and that becomes funny. With this, the audience has no clue what is going on, and the joke is to laugh at them, not the joke teller.

ito was never that scary
it was always pretty fucking weird and macabre in some way, but never did it seem like it was meant to be frightening
shit, a bunch of it is hilarious
like, I still giggle like a loon every time I think of The Tale of the Principal Post in particular

pop team epic is pretty funny... but just not the anime
hopefully the next episode fucks up less instead of poorly handling a bunch of shit from the manga

It's post-comedy, you wouldn't get it.

So what, it's anti-anti-humor?

I'll slap you

It is on a level we can't even comprehend.

so are all the episodes going to be 2 sections of the same stuff with different voice actors?

Can anybody mention the differences between the first and the latter half other than the subs and voices? I will not surive another rewatch of those 12 minutes.

The french part is subbed second half.

No, that aired last season.

>tfw hyped about this show because of you guys
>wasnt funny at all
ok

Sucks for you, I hyped myself up and genuinely enjoyed it. Could've done without the copypasta'd segment, though.

It's in the same vein as Bobobo, all the jokes are pop culture references.
If you don't get a joke, it's probably something obscure that wouldn't be obscure if you lived in Japan.

You are reddit

>it's another Mayoiga apologist post
Mayoiga was even more of a forced meme than Poptepipic. If anything, R*ddit definitely "got it".

What was the point of this

I possess all the answers you seek

There’s only two true gods, user, Wikipedia and the sun.

Seriously?

>Is this pasta?
it should be

That would just mean it's regular humor.

>"Kami-sama" the omnipotent using Wikipedia to give you all the answers
I know this isn't side-splitting humor, but please understand what's going on

it was amusing, I liked it. Like a YTP but japanese.

I needed a good laugh before watching the last episode of Inuyashiki.

SZS is my favorite anime so I am used to Pop Team Epic.

And here we see the brainlet, struggling to rub two cells together in an attempt to start a fire to keep himself alive

French Popuko was cute

I'm pretty sure that's just another form of anti-humor, like no soap radio.

Read Homestuck

Those random glitches, were they DDLC references?

This show was fucking awful and the best example of 4komas not translating well at all into a full 22+ minute show.

I can’t wait until this show gets memed into overpopularity and everyone here, though probably being contrarian/hipster at that point, sees it for the shit it is.

see I don't know if you're being genuine with this post because this is a PTE thread and there is a chance you're being ironic

Wait, bkub got a fucking anime?

Thanks for the pasta

come to the shit in Sup Forums
if you can understand shit Japanese a bit
even we can not understand everything.

In the comic she says "I can answer any question (using Wikipedia)"

They'll keep using different voice actors throughout the entire show won't they?
I kind of love how they didn't just pick two and make them the official voices.