Assuming one has a degree in animation and has a portfolio that shows skill and talent how feasible is it for a...

Assuming one has a degree in animation and has a portfolio that shows skill and talent how feasible is it for a foreigner to become an animator in japan? Is the peanut pay meme legit or misinformation?
Is the ultimate weeb dream really possible Sup Forums

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BBke--9qZjw
kyotoanimation.co.jp/school/entrance/
kyotoanimation.co.jp/recruit/guideline/2018/professional2/
youtube.com/watch?v=ylj8DAeOkhM
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

He's my new waifu.

He's not actually an animator. He was never credited in the end credits. Likely a tourist they picked up to fit their ayy lmao randumb show.

His name is Thibault Tresca, he studied for years in animation.

What's this then? Looks like frog croak to me.

I wonder this too, especially with the utter shit they are able to pump out at speed.

He's an animator at Ankama, a French company. They made the scene for the show but he doesn't work in Japan.

>degree
Anyway just have a decent portfolio and try getting yourself out there
Look at Bahi JD

A degree is good for building that portfolio and growing among peers and in some cases offers direction connections to the industry which help get your foot into the door. Just because we have books on rocket science doesn't mean you can go from your garage to NASA.

There are increasing numbers of foreign people working in the anime industry. Last year's best-animated TV episode was directed by a Taiwanese guy, Gundam Twilight Axis and Garo had Korean directors, and Boruto has a Chinese as it's main action animator. So yes, they're everywhere these days. The pay is still shit though, and the hours are long. Only the talented and passionate ones get to go far.

He is actually in Japan

Why not just get a loan of a million dollars and start your own studio in Japan and/or fund your own anime

That way, you can make anything you like

This.
You'd work less hours and probably make more money working a boring-ass retail job.

People have gotten into the industry without a degree. Yes a degree can help, but it's not absolutely necessary

If that's the case then, why do people even bother going into it? There has to be some sort of upside.

Those are still all East Asians though.
What about westerners? The only westerner I know of who has any sort of decent position in the industry is Thomas Romain over at Satelite, and he started at a French company doing co-productions with Japan. Probably a few more in lower positions, but I doubt it's very many.

Get to do what you love in an industry you love? Work in Japan is hell on earth no matter what you do, might as well do something you have a passion for.

Artistic satisfaction, I guess

But even then, if they're good at drawing and animating they could live off shit like Patreon (for lack of a better example) instead and make a lot more money that way

>What about westerners?
Bahi JD as someone already mentioned

He's Iranian/Austrian

Getting into NASA for rocket design is legit “who you know” not “what you know.” It just so happens having an aerospace engineering PhD from MIT gets you to who you need to know

Yeah, that's why I'm so perplexed on why people would go into the industry despite the extremely low pay when going independent would be more satisfactory as an artist and pay better. Every animator would be flocking to that lifestyle then, unless of course there's some major benefit to working in a studio.

What is the entire doujin market?
Though most good artists do both doujin and professional work.

Also, animation =/= illustration. They could very well be interested in animation in particular, and that's far more difficult to make as a solo artist.

Very interesting, hadn't heard of him before for some reason. Will have to keep my eye out in the future.

>Assuming one has a degree in animation
I always felt like animation is one of those skills you just get on your own. Getting any degree in art seems retarded

He's working in Japan

He is surrounded by Asians.

His computer keyboard looks like it has Japanese symbols.

He has a Youtube Channel and it seems he is vlogging while in Japan every few months.

Living the dream or the nightmare, I don't know

Also, wasn't there an American who literally directed an anime movie in Japan?

Tekkonkinkreet, yeah.

Yes, it's possible. Most Japanese companies care a lot less about your nationality than westerners seem to think. But you'll need to be able to speak Japanese at a working professional level, you'll need to be a good enough artist to compete with Japanese applicants, and you'll need to be willing to integrate with Japanese work culture. You might be able to get away with limited Japanese skills if you're a spectacularly talented artist and already well established in the industry, but not for an entry level job.

When Americans complain about not being able to get hired by Japanese companies, usually what they mean is no Japanese company was willing to hire someone who is unable to communicate with other employees and refuses to fit in with the corporate culture. Well no shit.

The two biggest obstacles you'll face are getting in at the right time and getting a work visa. Japanese companies prefer to hire university graduates, and lateral transfers are less common. If you don't go to university in Japan, it will be harder to get started, but certainly not impossible. You will have to build some connections first though. As for a visa, it's somewhat complex for a company to sponsor you, and they're not likely to do so if they're not used to it and if they don't have a good reason to. If you have an established relationship with a company (from an internship, etc), they're much more likely to be willing to jump through the hoops to sponsor you. If not, you'll find it a lot easier to get hired if you can arrange your own visa.

>Dont need no degree
Studios don't really care about your degree but Visa applications sure do. If you want to work in another country a bachelors opens up a lot of doors (or at least gets you to the front of the line)

Yeah but it can be a degree in anything not necessarily animation

>unless of course there's some major benefit to working in a studio.

Working at a studio you are a cog. but a studio takes care of:
-Searching for clients and new projects
-negotiating contracts
-hunting down payments and invoicing
-all the daily meeting bullshit clients want (ie. notes, revisions, updates, etc)
Basically any and all paperwork and backend. You'd be amazed the amount of work that is behind the scenes of a production and when you work at a studio you deal with very very little of it.
as an independent animation studio you'd have to deal with all of it. And it's easily as time consuming as the actual artistic work.

>Yeah but it can be a degree in anything not necessarily animation
True
and while you're spending 2 years studying world history or lit or some BS to get your bachelors, your competition is spending 8+ hours a day at animation school getting better at animating. You're wasting time writing essays on Napoleon and they are going to life drawing classes and learning how to properly time animation. You're hanging out with a bunch of dropouts that will go on to teaching because they can't get anything better. While an animation student is hanging out with other people who will be animators and recommend them for jobs.

The arts is an incredibly competitive field. And there is a reason every animation studio is filled with people from like 3 animation schools.

They even English-subbed their recruitment video
youtube.com/watch?v=BBke--9qZjw

I wouldn't want to be an animator. Seems more high risk. I rather intern under a mainstream illustrator like Tony Taka.

Tony Taka is living the dream compared to most in the industry. He collects so many royalty checks and doesn't have strict deadlines like manga artists.

Unlike other hentai artists, hentai anime adaptions of his works actually had decent animation and are pretty required hentai to view.

>ultimate weeb dream
Being an inbetweener will make you hate anime and everything related to it in 3 months.

Animator is the worst job in animation industry.
But if you can do it, it's also the easiest job to get.

As an animator you need to get hundreds or frames done a week, you work on quota so fuck holidays or vacation. And you are largely considered the lowest of the low on the totem pole at an animation studio.

Honestly, if you want to get into the animation industry you should look to two different positions:

Are you a good artist? be a designer. Work hard, work harder than everyone else in school. Be a better artist than them and find the creative fulfillment of knowing you are deciding the artistic vision of the show.

Are you popular? Be a storyboard artist. You don't have to be a good artist, just able to communicate the story. It's the most sought after job but also the one that gets you the most attention and praise

Animators work long hours, get little attention, are easily replaced and very little pay.

That's a great recruitment video.

I need to learn Japanese already. I could totally get a job over there but for that. Too bad the pay is shit compared to the West, but the industry here isn't going to last so it's good to know there's a back up. Japan will be able to pick up loads of gaijin in the next 10 years for cheap I think.

If you're competent in Japanese you can get admitted into an animation school in Japan and they offer internships at actual animation studios through the school

Those fucking tuition prices, though

It's quite cheap at KyoAni's school
kyotoanimation.co.jp/school/entrance/

>but you'll never get admitted anyway

>Is the ultimate weeb dream really possible Sup Forums
Why the fuck would you want to be an animator? Terrible hours and even worse pay. Only worth it if you work at somewhere like KyoAni.

>under 25 years old
Hello darkness my old friend

Japan hates old people.

I can't read moon
Do you really have to be under 25 to get admitted

Says 20-25 for their one year course and 18-20 for two years
Also says entries are currently closed

wtf?

Think if it this way.
You have a better chance at making it as a h-artist, no I'm not joking.

Handsome and cool

Kyoani only trains people with the assumption they'll work for them afterwards I guess

Satelight has a bunch of french guys including Thomas Romain.

One could probably just send a tweet to him to ask about working in Japan as an animator as a gaijin

This. Why make nickle and dimes to a studio that produces derivative products when you can just get a part time job, devote all your free time to drawing sexy women and make a comfortable living?

Not just the school too
kyotoanimation.co.jp/recruit/guideline/2018/professional2/

I'd give him a smooch. No homo.

why the fuck did that user just lie
literally what is the point

>get white people to make anime
>its reddit the show

Doubt. There is always exceptions. It's probably job related because 25+ don't have a lot of time.

Sup Forumsnons with art experience and Japanese knowledge should team up and make their own anime

If everyone made an earnest effort (and didn't just try to put jokes in it or something) I'm genuinely curious how it would turn out

Who am I kidding, no one would agree on anything and nothing would get done

youtube.com/watch?v=ylj8DAeOkhM

This guy is a weeaboo and works for Nintendo Japan now. He was seen in a group photo for Breath of the Wild Japanese Team.

He didn't have to be in Tokyo U to work in Nintendo or have an amazing STEM degree like he mentions in this youtube video.

Shindol is not impressive. American born Japanese going back to Japan does not experience the same hardships as other people

Shindol does have a facebook you know.

As for where he lived in America. He says he is from Queens, New York.

Is he actually Japanese? I found an article about him and apparently this is what he looks like.

He doesn't look Japanese at all

There's a guy working under Shinkai. If you're good enough you can always get in.

He's half Japanese. Japanese dad and american mom.

His real name is Larry Shindo

fb.com/larry.shindo

You're going to have to friend him if you want to see more pictures but before he locked down his page to prevent the public from seeing more of his profile, wedding sketches he drew for friends confirms he is actually Shindol.

That is how people on Sup Forums first found out. Wedding sketches of his real life friends.

That's a fake photo. See He doesn't look white. From afar, he looks like any other Jap

Says the page isn't available

How hard is it to google or facebook search Larry Shindo for you?

I only get pictures of guys in karate uniforms

www facebook com / larry.shindo

Michael Arias.

Science Saru has two spaniards working on storyboarding, key animation and flash supervision.