Romance in anime

Even with unrestrained sex and violence. why is a decent romance between love interests in (non-romance) anime so rare? Everyone's always so bashful, so inexperienced ans so fucking autistic even if the characters in question are grown ass adults.

I can only think of a handful of anime that handle romance well.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gG3DL35j750
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The ones who make it have no romantic experience of their own, especially not teen romance which is the most often occurring one in anime.

When your primary audience is made up of Japanese autists, NEETs, and hikikomoris, good romance is generally something they can't relate to, therefore, it won't sell well.

Because the audience (the target at least) is inexperienced itself. It's much easier to sell relatable and desirable stuff than it is sell a working relationship.

>streaming

>especially not teen romance which is the most often occurring one in anime.

It annoys me when they have "established" relationships that are just ciphers.

>3d relationships are good

i think macross handle romance better than most anime.

you almost never see the PoV of the character that the MC is supposed to fall in love, it's always the MC. You just know that the love interest fell in love with the MC because he saved her life or some more simple shit.

Have you seen any romance movies? Read any romance books? They aren't a whole lot better. Realistic romance just isn't very entertaining to watch, which is why fiction is full of nonsensical drama.

Been meaning to watch that for years. Finally watched Wings of Honnemaise the other day, was amazed at the their ability to do an attempted rape scene with restrain, I was almost sure we were going to get prolonged rape scene.

The way Keyman handled multiple romantic storylines (one of which tells about already long established relationships going through a huge crisis because she's is infertile) was really fucking good.

>Have you seen any romance movies? Read any romance books? They aren't a whole lot better.

They're quite a bit better.

>Realistic romance just isn't very entertaining to watch, which is why fiction is full of nonsensical drama.
Most anime doesn't even try, instead we usually get the same framework of "first awkward teenage love" applied to everyone including adults making them look like emotionally stunted autists.

>They're quite a bit better.
On average they really aren't. They're just bad in slightly different ways.

The target audience is very autistic.

Probably because half of them are in high-school.

Even when I think back upon my time, some retarded bullshit always went on that had a real simple answer. Either through perceptions or preconceptions, it was easy to fall in stupid traps of misunderstandings.

Usually it's not as bad as anime, but it was pretty close in that setting when you basically had the same coworkers for 12 years.

>teen romance
shit tier, it's more like "I like you" than "I love you"

>he doesnt know netflix making shit like this is gonna make normalfags flock to this board

be sure to watch the original one. The sequel are subpar compare to it.

>They're just bad in slightly different ways.
I think you're underestimating just how bad anime romances are.

Take "Your Name" for example, nice concept for a romance but aside from the nice visuals, we get something that's lukewarm at best with a titty-grabbing joke played 3 times. I mean, they barely even try to find anything about each other and all I can remember of their "relationship" is them texting each other on what not to do.

I thought it was nice how they each kinda tried to improve the other's situation while being in their body. Them writing swears on the other's body was fun too, but that was about it.

Well yeah sure but i still wish i would have experienced it.

I'm glad I didn't experience it.

>mangaka is female
>there's a high chance of manga having nice romantic undertones even if it's extremely brutal and full of gore and black humour
>mangaka is male
>either no romance or it's a painfully horrible shoehorned garbage that doesn't lead anywhere
Hmmmm.

> they barely even try to find anything about each other
They literally share their bodies, as well as intimate details of their personal lives. I didn't like the film that much, but did you even watch it?

kek

That part where he finds out he drank her spit-fermented sake, could've been a cute awkward little moment where he notices (I can't remember if they even kiss) that the sake tastes like her (let's assume they kiss). Instead we get her being angry and calling him a pervert.

>as well as intimate details of their personal lives
Doesn't really feel like they try to find anything really personal about each other.

...are you waiting for VR gfs?

Would be nice to see mai waifu in augmented reality or have a robot of her, she would be really big though, might be hard to fit her inside standard sized room.

>Probably because half of them are in high-school.

It's like their favourite moment in life. Doesn't matter what the setting is, always a high-school or high-school age characters. Like a 2nd attempt for them.

Anime fans tend to have massive social and/or mental problems. Like let's be honest, theres a reason the industry lacks stable, healthy, realistic relationships. Cause there are relationships everywhere but it's all from the perspective of people who are losers.

1) tsundere trope where there are characters who hate/despise the main character to the point that they might even physically hurt them but deep down like them. Plays on the fact that anime fags tended to have someone if not multiple people who couldn't stand them and might have even bullied them. And the little hope that maybe they really didn't hate them and deep down liked them.
2) characters love the main character but he/she is fucking oblivious. Plays on the fact that for many anime fans no one has EVER shown the slightest of interest in them so there's the hope that someone did and they just missed the signs.
3) the fucking harem trope. Nothing really gives a fucking loser social outcast a stiffy like the fantasy of everyone tripping over themselves to get their dick/pussy

Congrats on your dubs.

>Cause there are relationships everywhere but it's all from the perspective of people who are losers.
Are there no regular people who become manga artists?

>I love my 2d waifu XD do I fit in guys

I meant it's from those perspectives because of the target audience mainly but yes when you have shows that show in pedophile clowns or "sexy jutsu!" Or have the wise teacher be a pervert or have panty shots in the first episode then yes it's also the creators with autism that hold the blame too

I really don't see the issue with that though. Not everything needs to pander to normalfags and in fact: if these elements keep them out it's even better.

And thats why we'll get more terrible relationships or anime that gets it's plot delayed in the first episode. Because they know if they give you stiffy you'll be more likely to buy merchandise.

This pleases me twice. I get the kind of anime I like, which pleases me, and I get to know that its very existence displeases you, which also pleases me.

>Are there no regular people who become manga artists?
There are, but if they are men they naturally gravitate towards other genres than romance. Men in general have little interest in watching other people's romance, which is well indicated by the fact that the west has never really made male oriented romance film in the history of cinema. A well established man with healthy relationship has no need of the surrogate that anime provides.

Trips and LEET. You are on a roll.

>A well established man with healthy relationship has no need of the surrogate that anime provides.

Are you insulting the west or otaku here?

I'm not .

I don't know any romance anime that is about 30+ year old virgin finding love after impossible odds or something that isn't some normal shit. We have anime to be able to have whatever we want, supernatural things, aliens, fantasy, incest, but it's all non-existent. Even if there is some alien or something the mc still ends up with normal girl or some bullshit harem. At least some VNs do it right.

I'm insulting neither, I am merely stating facts. I see absolutely nothing wrong with watching male-oriented romance anime that panders to its target audience.

Ignore him, he's already admitted to being a turbo autistic, unapologic otaku

THIS

That's a good point. In an industry that's design to fulfil fantasy and achieve impossible desires, the fact that realistic relationships are almost nowhere to be scene is kind of sad. As if it's the one thing too far in the realm of fantasy to be entertained as possible.

No it doesn't. Romance is Macross is shit.

But we have an entire genre dedicated to normal day to day boring shit. Why isn't there more boring, realistic relationships in moe?

>I don't know any romance anime that is about 30+ year old virgin finding love after impossible odds
Miman Renai is about the romance between a 30 years old eroge developer and a JC.

>Why isn't there more boring, realistic relationships in moe
Waifufags would kill.

Nevermind, I just realised you said "anime".

It's bizarre how quickly people ship characters. The worst if MHA. Two characters will share one part of a single episode where they work together as classmates or become friends and suddenly everyone is shipping them.

It really seems to me that it's just again because they have no actual experience with relationships.
>holy shit that girl said hi to me, I might have a chance!

Anyone seen Orphen? Decent series that sort of deals with relationships by sort of avoiding it. Series 2 they dive straight into autist territory, despite the main characters having been on a whole adventure they still sleep in separate rooms and he "accidentally" ends up in her bed for her to kick him out.

Because it helps maintain tension and leaves a sense of longing if something tragic happens to the couple. Like, "imagine what COULD'VE BEEN". Here Yuasa even included a long ass after credits montage for them.

The moment characters confess or hook up, tension flies out the window.

People ship Toga and Bakugo and they only appear together in like 1 page and Bakugo is tied up and Toga is with the rest of the League of Villains.

>Because it helps maintain tension and leaves a sense of longing if something tragic happens to the couple.
>The moment characters confess or hook up, tension flies out the window.

Sure but for almost every anime?

It's almost like for the majority of anime fans and creators, "What could have been" is as far as they

>is as far as they
What? WHAT? You can't leave me hanging!

Does this count as meta?

>streaming

>tension flies out the window
there are still sex, marriage, children, happy family life, death and things that might ruin it all to be dealt with

What about it?

The same thing plagues tv.

Screenwriters will keep characters apart until season 11 where they need to get their final ratings push. At that point it's hard to keep the viewers interested in a relationship that finally fucking happened. Not to mention watching the dating/family life of characters that are basically "perfect for each other" is guaranteed to get boring.

Some people also love fantasizing, especially shipperfags, so the "courtship" phase with characters acting kind of oblivious and occasionally flirting tends to be the most exciting for them to watch. Shipperfags are totally fine with filling out the blanks themselves and that just makes the creators' jobs easier.

Gets me every fucking time.

Because that genre has an entirely different appeal. But there have been a few slice-of-life relationship shorts like Danna ga or Osake wa Fuufu. Don't know if they're boring or realistic enough for you because of the short format and gimmicky nature though.

>so the "courtship" phase with characters acting kind of oblivious and occasionally flirting tends to be the most exciting for them to watch.

It has to be annoying to them at least on some subconscious level. It remains at that stage of "whoops I accidentally brushed against you how embarrassing", there's nothing real in it except for them turning red over and over again.

People love fictional relationships for the UST. It’s only annoying to fans if the author steers characters in a completely different direction after this phase, for example ships them off with other characters.

What anime does have decent romance then?
Aside from Studio Ghibli films.

There aren't any.

>decent romance
>Aside from Studio Ghibli films
>implying
gr8 b8 m8

>seen any romance movies? Read any romance books?
>bad actors
>bizarre prose chosen for genitals
God no. Is there any hope for the romance genre?

>>there's a high chance of manga having nice romantic undertones even if it's extremely brutal and full of gore and black humour
Is pic related this one? If so picked up

This, it all depends if the author chooses to drop the ball or not. When the tension disappears after they get together it shows me the writer didn't put much thought into the relationship after hooking them up

>Is pic related this one?
Yes. Happy ride.

This. Two people being irresistibly attracted to each other is an alien idea for them.

youtube.com/watch?v=gG3DL35j750

how did you feel when it started playing?

>kaiman became a gyozamancer

oh fuck should have expected that

Is tic toc on the cover the title or gyoza man? Nothing comes up, can I get the authors name?

Manga is called Dorohedoro.

>I have watched toradora and chuu2, I know everything about anime romance: The Thread

What about the kuudere trope? A play on the fact that most anime fags are ignored?

But the relationship betwen Akira and Miko was pure love

Kinda disappointing. Almost like blue balling but romantically.

>What about the kuudere trope?
I don't keep up with this shit. What is it?

>Ignore girl that likes in favour of some slut that chose his abusive cousin over you and then realize that you like the other girl more after treating her like shit but then the other girl comes back to you but you tell her to fuck off
Is this how relationship works irl?

Based, thank you.

> no regular people who become manga artists
Being a manga artist for most people mean working long hours and putting a lot of effort for a shit pay unless you manage to create a hit. You probably need some degree of autism to chose to be a mangaka.

Wouldn't it be better to live a life and THEN put pen to paper?

Not everyone can live a life, specially if you chose to dedicate your life to chinese cartoons

Isn't this because it is not actually possible in real life?

It happens all the time in real life.

Doing something you detest all your life sucks.
It sucks double when said things takes up every last bit of your free time, like it does for Japanese salarymen.

It is very real. Only relationships that are real and hold are those that happen on their own. It's some time since I became a neet though, so it's just blurry memories... And now I"m salty. Where's my melancholic late 20's romance with happy end, I need it, pls.

>Romance in real life
>Romance in anime
Romance in real life is fake and superficial, Romance in anime is real and deep.
Real life is real, but anime is not real, but in a way, anime romance is more real than real-life romance.
You get what I'm saying?

>Romance in real life is fake and superficial
Not necessarily. You can have an experience where it feels like you met your destined lover in real life, and it feels as deep as anything in fiction. The only issue is that the exciting feeling of limerence at the beginning doesn't last for most people, and is instead replaced by a comfy feeling of security if the relationship becomes a long-term stable one.

I miss that feeling of limerence, so I turn to 2D to relive that intense experience. Maybe that's the hyperreal aspect you mean? And I find Japanese writers are especially good at it for some reason (mostly in manga and fiction, not so much anime).

>Romance in anime
>in anime
Just read josei nigger. There's a lot of not always realistic, but at least believable romance in it.

That's what happens when you're a normalfag who knows how romance works so you can't detect when it isn't "realistic"

you can detect*

Yes, something like this.
>You can have an experience where it feels like you met your destined lover in real life
Never had this.
From what I experience regarding romance, it is mostly an interplay of value and social hierarchy.
Girls are attracted to good looking and high-status guys, and guys are attracted to good looking girls.
I'm not speaking out of bitterness because I happen to fall into the high-value category and I usually get hit on by girls if I go into a bar.
But this does not make the whole thing any bit less fake and disgusting.
Never would I consider something like this "love" in any way.
I came to believe that "love" does not exist outside of fiction.

>You get what I'm saying?
Your drawings can't hold you.

>I'm not speaking out of bitterness because I happen to fall into the high-value category

Sure.

Love is difficult