20 years absence

>20 years absence
>tons of merchandise sold even more than the likes of one piece and gundam
>only anime to have crashed crunchyroll/daisuke twice
>latest manga being drawn by a fanartist turn pro and still manages to land in the top 5 weekly manga sales in japan
>most discussed anime on Sup Forums

How does it do it? What makes it so appealing even though it generates mixed criticism?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SPxnhL4xh5g
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>>most discussed anime on Sup Forums
It isn't tho.

Nostalgia.

Why are you dragon ball tards always so obnoxious?
Is it because you know your series sucks ass and can only form a argument by showing "muh numbers" ? by that definition Mcdonald is fucking delicious and Justin Bieber is a revolutionary singer.

Now fuck off
Their containment thread is the fastest bumping one on here

One Piece failed to penetrate the West properly because 4Kids poison everything they touch. Dragonball Z was successful because of its timing shortly after Digimon had peaked (and I genuinely think it would have had a smaller audience if it had started with Dragonball in the West)

Naruto managed to get the western audience on it's side and yet look at it now? Unlike dragon ball who had a 20 years "hiatus" it still doesn't generate the same numbers of popularity with it's sequel Boruto.

One piece didnt hit in the west because it just isn't appealing enough. 4kids didnt dub the European market only the Usa and yet it's the same problem so we cannot fault it on that.

What makes it so successful is because of Toriyama.
The guy isn't afraid to try and do something new. What i mean by that is that he doesnt keep his characters in a comfort zone.
For example this all started as a quest about looking for db's and now we are at a point where the Mc is fighting in a multiversal tournament with the fate of his universe.
Early db -Exploration of earth
Dbz-Space/Heaven/Time
Dbsuper-Universes/Gods

What other anime manga does that? None. The world keeps expanding and expanding and its awesome.
Not to mention the fights are unpredictable. People eho think goku always have probably never watched the show. He has probably the worst win/lose ratio of any shounen protagonist.

Nostalgia. The anime is pretty shit compared to DB, DBZ, and DBGT and all aspects of animation. I still watch it cuz I spent all these years watching it and I might as finish it.

I can't stomach Super while I did like the idea it was trying to capture early Dragon Ball in some aspects the humour just didn't sit right with me. I miss how daring Toriyama was with his comedy in the early parts of DB but another thing I don't like it is there is no sense of danger for the main characters.

>Their containment thread is the fastest bumping one on here
Because there's no discussion going on there. It's just obnoxious shitposting.

Its because we know already nothing major will happen to them since they are all alive doing well during EoZ.

Or One Piece was shit. When I first saw it when it first came to the states, like when I was 10 or so, i noticed was how awful the animation was and how lame the abilities were compared to all the other cartoons I watched up until then. At present time I still think its shit and people who pick it up today have no good tastes. As for continuing to watch it, I dont really blame them, the stuck to it long enough and they might as well finish it.

that’s the problem with them trying to fit everything in between Buu and EoZ no matter what happens we know that all the main characters are alive and well in the end

Its called BORUTO.

You have shit taste, yeah yeah, I get it.

It takes time to expand your franchise on a multiversal scale let alone universal scale.
Dragon ball was lucky enough to have that sort of time.

Just imagine all the other delusional fans on this board. They think their favourite anime can beat Super. So delusional. No CGDCT. No yuri. No yaoi. No harem. Just fun. Super good fun.

Classic burger. "The West" means Murica.
DBZ was popular everywhere while you fucking millennials were shitting diapers, disregarding whether if Digimon was televised before or after. Its popularity has nothing to do with timing or luck, it's been popular in the 90s, in the 00s and is still popular, even though most of Super fans won't argue that it is quite inferior than the original product.

>his country had digimon before DB or DBZ
In what shithole do you even live?

CCS was the one who broke Crunchyroll the other day lol

Well user, according to DBS fags, CCS is "literally who" tier anime that no one knows about.

>CCS
but it didnt broke crunchyroll twice now did it?

Kinda hard to crash it twice when the first fucking episode just aired.

First off
It's because of old fans along with a young new generation of fans.
Then you got the formula that they didn't deviate from, its simple and its like nothing changed literary wise.
Then you got old characters coming back.
Then you have the fact that this is a continuation of the series that possibly ignores GT.
This is important right here, because this generates love and hate for the new series. Fans will watch it because it's not GT. And people who hate it will watch it because they hope either it will some how cannonize GT, or they want to see how bad they think it is and complain about it to get people on their side about GT.

America DID get regular Dragonball first ya spic

The show is popular right now because literally everyone has no taste i mean look how popular rappers are when their content is shit. Dragon ball super is a clusterfuck of random power ups because the western audience will get bored if there was plot or story. The reason people are still watching? They don't even know, but its probably because they dont fucking know what nostalgia means or how it works. Just shows how smart dragon ball super fans are.

No it didnt murifat.

>Anime
The first episode of Dragon Ball anime was broadcast in France on March 3, 1988 on Club Dorothée, an afternoon children’s program on channel TF1. It was the first broadcast of Dragon Ball outside of Japan.

Obsessed.
Explain why its still doing so well in japan then? Constantly in japans top 10 anime rankings for the tv rates.

Because that user is retarded and thinks being asian gives you better taste

Not him, but OP anime isn't that amazing.

You knew that from beginning of DB. It was never about big sacrifices, focus was always on growth of characters and them adapting to the world around them.

Or when contrarian fags like you pretend it wasn't DBS that crashed memeroll multiple times.

Or maybe you're just retarded dipshit contrarian who tries to fit in by pretending he hates something he watches every week. Grow up user.

>You knew that from beginning of DB
Yeah because the ending was flat out presented when dragon ball started?
Shut up retard

>Most discussed anime on Sup Forums
No that's fate

who?

the catalogue says something else however

reminder that Botamo is a Toyble creation

>What makes it so appealing even though it generates mixed criticism?

it's still dragon ball that's why
unlike gt
it's kind of conservative, plays it safe and doesn't have as much of toriyama's wild invention as the original but they managed to keep it dragon ball

also the lastest arc, while mediocre writing wise, is like watching a sports event every week and that's a big draw for people to tune in every week

>can only form a argument by showing "muh numbers"
tv ratings are just another form of power level
and dragon ball super is, of course, the strongest

Chads of Sup Forums.

THIS

honestly the biggest flaw of this arc, moreso than the animation or the writing or the pacing, is the peanut gallery.
the only commenter that actually put some fun into it was Champa. Everyone else just flipflops between bafflement, smugness, and amazement in the least entertaining way.
This arc desperately needs a better running commentary

I think you're missing the absolute start of dragonballz, which was more or less Goku & Picollo fighting Raditz with bright lights, flashy attack names and being punched in the face.

Some good animation in the first fight helped a bit.

Someone please explain how ssj3 Gotenks is weaker than base Vegeta yet ssj2 Kefla is as strong as blue Goku. Also does anyone else think that the part where Beerus pimp slapped Bulma they should have let Vegeta hit ssj3 then? I mean surley he should be able to go ssj3 now that he can go blue, shit just doesn't make sense.

the absolute start of dbz was gohan fucking around innawoods and crying.

>How does it do it? What makes it so appealing even though it generates mixed criticism?
Because the general audience is human garbage who have absolutely NO quality standards.

t. retard who watches anime for the good writing

Absolutely this

heavily edited versions of the first 13 episode of Dragon Ball aired in syndication in the late 80's, early 90s. It's called the Harmony Gold dub, look it up.

>This arc desperately needs a better running commentary
They should have brought him back for both the U6 tournament and the ToP

>Gowasu wasn't recording the tournament for GodTube and providing commentary

BIGGEST FUCKING WASTED POTENTIAL

i think this is a first for a dbs thread

Oh yeah but stick around for a few episodes and it really jumps up.

Also, didn't the ocean dub cut a whole bunch of that Gohan section out? If I recall correctly, all I remember the first time we saw him was him crying on a stick.

post whis-training Vegeta and Goku are easily on-par with 100% final form frieza, probably a bit stronger through superior technique
with the way its presented, ss2 is fully mastered super saiyan while ss3 is overclocking it beyond what the ability is 'built' to do. its brute forcing a further transformation with raw power, abusing the ability rather than using it.
and the gains you get from going ss3 just isn't worth the time investment considering if you put the same time into improving your base form, and by extension your ss2 form, the end result of 'using all my power' is significantly stronger

even the filler otherworld arc knew to stick in a dead ayy version of him. I wonder what went wrong this time around

>One Piece failed to penetrate the West properly because 4Kids poison everything they touch
No, it failed because Wan Piss is ugly as hell and has a shitty artwork plus fights. Also, pirates are not cool.

It's literally a childrens cartoon. The people that legitimately enjoy it are actual children, or manchildren who wish they were still actual children and are chasing their memories of childlike awe and innocence they had while watching this.

maybe. come to think of it, I have no idea which dub they used on Cheez TV back then. maybe it was the ocean dub. or maybe whenever they reset back to the beginning they skipped the first ep and let the recap fill people in. hard to say this many years later.

that's always been the case in DBZ though
even if there's no one around to comment they'll still watch it on tv or a crystal ball or something

I also enjoy Zeno's retard hype about everything quite a bit

P failed because nearly everyone has gross tombstone teeth and completely circular eyeballs, along with really weirdly proportioned bodies on half the cast, so it sets off the uncanny valley notably more than most cartoons

>said the mature manchild while sending his message on a anonymous Singaporean board

oof

It was popular as hell in Brazil, and it's coming back to its original form with Super.

The thing is that Toriyama has something that's hard to describe.

If it was just the brand name GT would've be a huge success.

I think Toriyama's refusal to take things too seriously appeals to more people than it alienates

also Toriyama's design are so appealing.
you can guarantee that he wont pull over used anime cliches. thats one of the big reason Dragon quest is do popular

>Absolutely seething

They started with the ocean dub on cheeze, but then changed to the funi dub on the episode that Jeice and Burter start their attack on Goku.

I remember it clearly; it was pretty jarring, but kinda fun hearing all the new voices for characters.

he accepts your concession

huh. thanks for this insight into my childhood.

to you, for how much i dislike burg dubs, i must say that your burter and jeice are superior to these burter and jeice
youtube.com/watch?v=SPxnhL4xh5g

althought thats not saying much

Where's the love? Where's the fiesta?!

Oh wait, there it is.

The first episode of DBZ's original dub cut almost all of that shit out and almost immediately jumped to Raditz showing up at Roshi's place.

It was almost certainly the right thing to do. Starting Z at a slow pace makes sense to people who started watching from the beginning of Dragon Ball, but when your audience is starting halfway through the story you need to get them hooked.

any other notable dub cuts?

> nostalgia
> TFS doesn't let it die
> in this century anime sucks and is hard to find good ones
> those that are good have ended or are on some never ending hiatuses or those that were good got crap
> lot of shounen got their inspiration from Toriyama in first place
> which brings us to never dying nostalgia again
> because despite show being simple af that is targeted for kids and simplistic audience alike, it manages to be more entertaining then manga/anime who aim to be more then that yet they end up being completely retarded in end

There you have it.

It is very popular among the children

All Dragonball-related discussion should have its own board.

>in this century anime sucks and is hard to find good ones
no it isn't. yeah, there's only a handful of good anime each year but very rarely does something actually fly under the radar

I have a feeling TFS won't go beyond the Cell Saga.

Well, I hope they don't at least

its pretty much assured they won't they don't want to, toei doesn't want them to,

It's not nostalgia, the anime is genuinely good..

because anything after original series panders to lowest common denominator.
so naturally it's really popular.

Just wait for the second part of the arc, when Goku wins and makes his wish to hold the tournament another round.

t. hipster

all shonen should have its own board

Sup Forums would be empty and dead

I never claimed there aren't good shows these days. Just that there is shitton of pure garbage in one year in comparison to something good or at least what you can enjoy.

Yes.
There were shorts done of Super but it got took down by Toei.
So I say it won't be.

I said that in my last line.

> because despite show being simple af that is targeted for kids and simplistic audience alike, it manages to be more entertaining then manga/anime who aim to be more then that yet they end up being completely retarded in end

Waifufags on suicide watch because DBS runs Sup Forums

>discussed
I wish, but Dragon Ball threads are just constant shitposting by banned redditors.

>mfw I post only when Super is in the subject of the thread

Super came pretty close to going down the toilet before someone at Toei realized they couldn't keep cheaping out on the animation.

>cheaping out
Fuck off and learn how animation works.

it is easy my friend, no bullshit kids as heroes with bullshit harem shit that Sup Forums loves so much.

as i said so often, dragon ball was, is and will be the most beloved anime/manga in the world no matter what the Sup Forums haters say.

There's good writing, mediocre writing and absolutely shit writing. Super falls under the last category.

>it wasn't lack of money but deadlines or some shit
Whatever, nobody cares, the end product looked like garbage and people made fun of it for months and honestly thought the show was going to die fast and go down in history as worse than GT.

>he cared about the retellings
STOP

But dbs has waifufags too

>"this looks awful"
>"w-whatever I'm not even tr-trying..."

Remember we got 2 movies to warm up to the series, it didn't came out of nowhere so people were hyped expecting it.

But I thought this was gonna be a "20 years of fame thanks to Z and we get a sequel aimed at little kids?" thread. Let's discuss that instead. I can't see how this is one of the most profitable anime in the whole world, and I'm sure it is the one known by most people in Earth, and it's long awaited sequel it's aimed at children with 0 violence (which was the thing that made Z famous)

Thats literally what the animators said
>Refuses to work cause they animated that before
Kek

The best episodes on Super are the ones that try to look like Z... while on Z every episode was like that and I never even considered DBZ a paragon of good animation. I gues it delivered good fights but I never stopped to think "Ah yes, this is how anime should look like". Now I'm begging every week to get that one animator that makes it look like that, hell even GT got it right.

>Whatever, nobody cares,
who posts on the animation board while being completely ignorant about animation? fucking tourists.
>honestly thought the show was going to die fast and go down in history as worse than GT
you must be retarded to bring up predictions that retards like you made three years ago as an argument when it's almost twice as long as gt at this point.