Was Saber truly a shit king?

The episode where all the kings meet seems to make that argument. Saber herself thinks so because Britian was destroyed under her rule.

However, Rider was also has his kingdom destroyed when he died but he's not seen as a shit king by Gilgamesh or Saber.

Was she truly a shit king?

I love saber but even I got to admit...

>Let herself get cuked by lancelot
>Emotionless
>Sacrificed entire towns
>Rejected Mordred and then proceeded to put her in charge while she was off to battle

Even in the end Saber admitted she wasn't that great of a king

>"Being King means being a manchild who does whatever you want whenever you want and never thinking about shit. The real Alexander was known to be a wise and thoughtful philosophical type but here I'm a power-fantasy for 14-year-old boys. Yay."

>"I don't want to be king anymore because my brain-damaged son (female) threw a temper-tantrum."

>"SUCK MY BALLS BECAUSE I'M GILGAMESH"

Nobody in Feast of Kings had a very good argument. Compared to them, Umu's philosophy which amounts to "PARTY HARD" seems compelling and deep.

Sounds bout right

No. Her kingdom was doomed to fail from the very beginning no matter what as told by Merlin. She did everything in her power and was a great king.

man what it was:

above the people, infront of the people and below the people

Saber is now a mary sue who dindu nuffin.
I bet taekushit was the one who suggested nasu to write this piece of hot garbage.

So what exactly did she do wrong? Be "more human" so she could have a few beers with her knights like the king of bros? She was completely surrounded by people more autistic than she was.

She's a woman, what did you expect?

As per FSN, no
She did her best but her kingdom was filled with cunts and retards and so all she could do was make its death relatively comfy

>Did her best
>Actually did literally nothing

Given the situation she inherited she did a decent job of holding together a clusterfuck of a kingdom for 10 years or so.
Merlin however reaches almost self-fulfilling prophecy levels of idiocy. He knows the kingdom is going to fall and yet still tries to avert it by trying to get Saber an heir which ends up being the reason the kingdom falls apart.

We will never know because he never actually existed

>So what exactly did she do wrong?

She was socially inept. Too autistic to realize her soldiers may actually be humans and retaliate against her when treated like shit. She left Mordred to instigate a rebellion in her absence after shunning her time and again, and without valid reason. By this, I don't mean that said reason doesn't exist, it's that Saber does not elaborate on Mordred's faults or the source of her disdain (thus crippling her son with a complex she can't properly reconcile with even after death), she just dismisses it as a triviality.

Mind you, Saber's knights were every bit as autistic and a bunch of manchildren who would have fallen long ago if Agravain wasn't there to play the villain and unite their ass.

Camelot was doomed to fail. Saber did a good job keeping it together but let's not pretend that her methods didn't lead to some questionable as fuck decisions on the way. This was a case of 'couldn't be helped'.

Arthur was a shit king and literally just Merlin's stooge, Arthur fucked up because of disregarding Merlin. Everything great about Arthur was attributed to either Merlin, one of his knights, or one of his magic mcguffins. Thing is that Arthur being a useless bitch is probably the exact reason for being chosen by Merlin.

Alexander the Great was a charismatic leader who lead and converted countless in his path to his side. It made sense that it would collapse after he died as his empire was nothing more than a sign of his greatness and charisma.

Gilgamesh was a asshole who only calmed down and became a decent king after he got a gay fuck-buddy/friend.

t.iskandarfag

Social ineptness, unreasonable ideals, andneglect of personal relationships are her biggest flaws as a person. The biggest issue for Saber is she always sacrificed herself for others and blamed herself for the failing of others. Lancelot has an affair with sabers wife and when it was found out Saber only blamed herself for hiding her gender, while simultaneously excusing the actions of two other people in her mind. Saber was not a king she was a crowned martyr who sacrificed herself for a country that held little love for her and her sacrifices. To top it all off she would have used the holy grail to give herself an opportunity to suffer all of that again, having learned nothing, which drove Lancelot into further madness.

Read the VN.

That's literally his entire character described in a single sentence.

islands certainly represents the more realistic depiction of a conquering king, charismatic, determined, and a leader of men. Yet, when it came down to it he was determined to cement his legacy through conquest regardless of how that had affected his men dur to the extended military campaigns that he went on. In the end he was consumed by his eccentricity having been one who leads the charge, not one being forced to follow.

>implying she ever treated her knights like shit
>implying it's her fault Mordred did her autistic fit while the king was getting ready for the trip to Rome

It's amazing how no matter how negatively someone writes about what Saber's real issues were, it just emphasizes that she did nothing wrong, and everyone her was either an ungrateful cunt, or an autistic retard

She thinks she's a shit king. The whole deal with Saber and her kingship in both Zero and FSN, is that she believes everything is her fault and that she did everything wrong (sefl-sacrifice, parallel with Shirou's self-sacrificing nature, etc.). And her whole arc in FSN is about Shirou making her realize that not only her wish is wrong, but that she did way more than enough already.

If you ask Saber she'll tell you that she wasn't a great king. If you asked britons under her rule, they'll probably tell you that she was the greatest king they ever had.

I mean neglecting her married wife kind of led to the whole issue with lancelot, and led to the collapse of the kingdom later on. She wanted to maintain the image of a stable Royal family, yet in the end it lacked the substance and intimacy a family should ideally have.

Then he turned into a tyrant when clay died.

She wouldn't be the first, nor the last king who neglected his wife. That hardly makes her a bad king when you consider how many good kings did the same shit.
And Saber also had the whole "Im a woman in disguise" thing going on, I'd cut her some slack about it.

Kind of stems from the whole having the King actually be a teenage girl. Obviously the marriage was political but still it's kind of partially Guinivere's fault for expecting a young girl to be a proper husband, especially in the bedroom.
The weirdest part is Guinevere is the only thing where Sabers gender actually mattered, everyone else just saw her as a perfect representation of a King even if she was a small girl in reality.

Very well, would you concede though that executing the queen was a bit of a dick move when lancelot being punished would have prevented problems later on? Both for his sanity and the kingdom as a whole?

I think the problem with this is the citizens would of stayed pissed at Guinevere cause she cheated on the king and would seen as getting away with it.

It was a no win situation. Guinevere would of suffered just as much had it been Lance killed. And Lance had a lot of good to his name as a knight until that point.

The Guin thing was a tricky situation that had more layers to it than just neglect since as per GoA Guin accepted that they'd have a political marriage, and fell in love with Lancelot from their fretting sessions over the overworked king who was the one they both loved most.

What makes things a bit sad, and funny is that it could've been avoided if the king had been a tad less autistic and realized Guin actually loved her even after finding out she was a chick, and put a little work in making things more than platonic, or if Guin had been less considerate and just said it straight out