Did he do anything wrong?

He would've been better than Hilda.

Interrupting Reinhard and Hilda's wedding was incredibly dickish.

It was a matter of state urgency. Had Oberstein not prepared beforehand for such an eventuality there was a good chance that the empire would've collapsed.

>let a planet be nuked
>deliberately framed an Imperial Admiral

what do you think champ

>Saved more lives in the long term, the nukes probably were relatively kind deaths anyways.
>Reuental would've done it eventually anyway. Even then it was mostly Lang's fault.

Also,
>nuYang
Clearly shit taste.

His only mistake was not hiding his power level.

That's bullshit Reinhard would not have done that of his own planning. It was only when he saw the logistics of Obersteins plan that he followed through, but even then he would live to regret that decision for the rest of his life.

He was always jealous of Wenli who never compromised on his beliefs even when total victory was on the line. Oberstein was always helpful, but Reinhard should not have listened to him that time and should have let the 11 mil soldiers die honorably. This event would become a very big detriment to his mental health and highlight what his life without Kircheis meant.

Yes he was deeply autistic

I miss Yang.

What value is honour beyond feelings? Reinhard was while excellent only a tool for producing a better system at the end of the day, hero worship results in Goldenblaums and undermines everything.

Morally, yes. But they were practical choices, not entirely moral ones.

Did it bother him? Doubt it.

Aside from his advice leading to Kircheis dead, I don't see what else he did wrong.

Thanks to Oberstein "No number 2" policy he got killed.

Hero worship has nothing to do with it. It is my understanding that Reinhard's feelings were very much hurt by his decision as well. He started his quest after all based on the idea that no person is inherently better than another due to classes and inheritance. Using an entire planet's population as a sacrificial pawn was very much the antithesis of his beliefs.

It's your actions that define you, and he recognizes that his actions make him a monster of sorts.

It's not his fault.

Kircheis's death was ultimately what led Reinhard to win. Not only was he inspired and deeply moved by his friend's sacrifice, but he was able to find another life partner with a steel will and decisiveness that Kircheis himself lacked.

Kircheis would not have had Bittenfeld rush the FPA and use Yang's sense of honor to get him to surrender. He would assist Reinhard in the fight against Yang, and most likely get killed.

Whereas Oberstein established himself immediately as the pragmatic advisor, Hild was wise enough to only take direct and independent action when it mattered.

I think on some level Reinhard knew this, which is why(besides grief and needing a heir), he married Hild.

Imagine all those deaths caused by terrans, why the emperor never declared witch hunt after destroying terra?

Weirdly enough in the novels, Reinhard consents to Oberstein's action on his own and without being tricked.

I wonder if the decision to alter that in the series had something to do with the nuclear taboo in Japan.

To answer your question OP, Oberstein did nothing wrong.

I don't know. Kircheis was as much if not more so of a genius than Mittemeyer and Reuental. And as a tactician he was very passive, which would have given Yang a very hard time given his huge numbers disadvantage.

If Yang ever had to fight Reinhard, Kircheis, Mittemeyer, and Reuntal in decisive combat, he would lose. Between the 4 of them they may have even been able to find a way around Thors Hammer.

Did the overall point of Reinhard going over Kircheis' head remain the same though? I think the main point was that he didn't consult his friend to see if letting the planet get nuked was something the old him would have done.

he kept lang around when he could have easily replaced him with someone who was actually fair and competent.

Hild gets overlooked and Bittenfeld gets mocked, but in the end they won Reinhard's Kingdom through brute force and decisive action, rather than philisopher king LARPing nonsense.

Too bad Yang didn't have a Hild to kick him in the croutch and fire upon Reinhard's flagship when Job called off the attack.

Lang was to serve a use and to be easily disposable.

and yet he ended up being the most immediate cause of reuethal's rebellion. oberstein even says something like "persecuting a high admiral because of a personal grudge is tantamount to treason", so he must have had some idea of what was going on, but he never really tries to stop it.

He always saw Reuental as a potential threat and it was likely that it would've happened anyways.

would it? I don't think that reuenthal would have rebelled unless he found a very suitable opportunity. of course, oberstein might have reached a different conclusion, but he had no reason to use lang to expose reuenthal when there would be a high chance that lang would actively be pushing reuenthal into rebellion out of spite. you could maybe say that he thought reuenthal was becoming too much of a number 2, and that he couldn't come up with a way to weaken reuenthal's authority other than discrediting him, but reinhard only made reuenthal the governer of neue land after, and most likely as a reaction to, lang's first accusation which ended up being proven false. at which point oberstein should have gotten rid of lang. unless oberstein wanted reuenthal to rebel, maybe to dissuade future traitors or something, but all of reinhard's admirals had nothing but respect for him, and I don't think that oberstein would have weighed that lesson over the cost in lives a rebellion would take.

It wasn't a bad idea on its own, but Kercheis was pretty popular on his own and I don't remember any of the admirals hating on him being number 2.

Before he lost Kerchies Reinhard was the partner with the steel will and decisiveness. He broke down after Kercheis died and never fully recovered.

>implying their relationship was only at the level where reinhardt would need to ask kircheis directly to know what he'd say
Reinhardt already knew what kircheis's answer would be, and he knew what his own decision was in the end.

Well it would be better to force reuenthal to rebel under unfavourable circumstances as well as get the dissident elements of the former FPA officials to reveal their true colors

The planet was an unimportant fief murdered by its owner. Little of value was lost.

>let the 11 mil soldiers die honorably.
Stand among the ashes of eleven million ghosts and ask them if honor matters.

Kircheis died during an assasination attempt on Reinhart. Oberstein's policy was unrelated.

Kircheis's death was not important aside from making Reinhard a bit more ruthless. Kircheis was a brilliant commander.

>He would've been better than Hilda
You mean, as a wife?
Because Hilda was a lot better than he was at politics. Being an autist can only get you so far in that field.
She managed to win a war without sacrificing billions for one.

Fucking brainlet. Soldiers in the empire have given Reinhard their lives for him to do as he sees fit in the name of the people of the Empire, their purpose is dying in the name of the people, represented by the Emperor, yet, Reinhard used the people he was sworn to protect as a shield for the sake of numbers. You may say a lot of families were glad their relatives didn't die, but in truth they would be fine either way, it's the people who didn't have anything to do with the matter who got betrayed.

Honor matters. These are soldiers, regular army we're talking about, not partisans fighting for their lives

t.

Kircheis, the greatest marksman and keen observer to have an undefeated record as tactician, also the most loyal and trustworthy of the admirals, childhood friend of the emperor, was distrusted the task of protecting the emperor 24/7 for fucking protocol. Oberstein was a big dumbass in this case, a fatal flaw.

And they readily trust him with their lives because he's proven himself as an emminently superior commander who doesn't squander and throw away soldiers in pointless manuevers. Fighting geiersberg fortress head-on like a moron is exactly the sort of nonsense reinhardt despises in a commander

>Oberstein's policy was unrelated.

You need to watch that episode again, is like you don't even know what my image is referencing.

Hilda was probably the smartest character in the show, or at least the most effective. She didn't have Yang's crippling idealism, Rheinhard's vainglory, Ruental's pride, or Oberstein's autism. All in all the galaxy got the best regent possible.

She's also Best Girl.

Proven wrong.Naturally, people love him for being an effective commander, but that's not the point. Being soldiers they're already doomed. The day they got conscripted was the day their life ended, might as well havr fought for it then, specially since a million is inside one ship that instantly gets blown up when touched by a ray of light. They are there for the purpose of dying in a useful way, although they're still human and scared of death, but think about the innocents who got fucked for the sake of numbers. Their lives were going on as usual and reinhard murdered them.

Would you rather save 10 rapists and murderers instead of one kind man, just to say you saved more? A disaster occurs, do you still think its worth more to waste your time and effort on someone who has a 70% chance of dying instead of someone who is critical but still has a better chance of living?

Not smart enough to wear a condom.

>implying getting knocked up the the emperor of all humanity's child wasn't the plan

>proven wrong
This character isn't exactly portrayed as positive. His disregard for the lives of his subordinates and his boner for honor is portrayed as negative.
The point of this character is to distance the Empire's main cast from retards who have the same values and do the same things but are "wrong" because they're deluded, less competent nobles on the other side who didn't earn their position. The author's hypocrisy truly shines here.

THIS
Reuental did nothing wrong

he then gets shot by his subordinates who want to escape and live.

On a scale of 1-10, how bad will the new adaptation be?

9/10 for memes, somewhere between 0/10 and 3/10 for everything else.

Lets forget this shit even exists / 10

I HATE IT

>proven wrong
Yeah captain schumacher would like a word with you
>would you rather save 10 strawmen instead of 1 excuse
Why don't you ask the FPA soldiers how they felt about their noble sacrifice at amritsar? Or better yet how about the citizens of the FPA who would then be defenseless against the empire's subsequent invasion because all their troops were dead because an incompetent commander got their entire military crippled on a fools errand.
Preservation of force ya dingus

He IS a man who would rather die. Kircheis is a man who DID die rather than see his friend hurt, so did many of the admirals, Reinhard would rather die than let the Goldenbaum just take away his family. Even Yang himself would rather die than see democracy extinguished. Everyone is afraid of dying but many would rather die in the name of many things.

He stuck his dick in crazy

>Everyone is afraid of dying but many would rather die in the name of many things
The Reuenthal rebellion happened and millions died because two men were literally too autistic to forgive and apologize respectively. Thanks Honor I guess.

>Even Yang himself would rather die than see democracy extinguished.

Cornelia Windsor pls go. Yang just wanted a quiet life and a nice pension.

Well of course, his mother was a crazy bitch who tried to kill him.

>even yang would rather die
No, he'd rather drink tea(whiskey) with those who survive the battle

He would have had a nice quiet life in the empire. He did have a chance, at one point everything was lost and there was nothing else to fight for but live, yet the fuck wanted to die for an extinct political system and restarted war.

Even the pistols looks like the spaceships that is either Emperor autism or sci-fi.

Bergengrün noooo!

>deliberately framed an Imperial Admiral
?????
That was the earth cult.
Oberstein didn't want conflict between Reinhard and Reuenthal. He didn't think placing Reuenthal in the position of the FPA governor was a good idea, but when the possibility of conflict arose, he suggested that Lang and himself would be offered up to Reuenthal as a means of making amends.

The Imperial Consul ordered the FPA to arrest Yang and hand him over to the Empire, even though he was living peacefully with his wife and doing nothing wrong.

That quiet life wasn't ever an option.

I'm certain the reboot will give her more screentime, but I can't tell you whether that'll be a good thing or a bad thing.

More Hilda is obviously a good thing. I'm more worried over them feminizing, slutifying, and waifu formatting my favourite ankward tomboy.
Her civilian clothing better stay a suit or I will fucking riot.

Didn't he appoint Lang to be head of the secret police? That seems like a wrong move.

I disagree, solely because we can't really speculate on what would've happened if Kircheis hadn't died because it would have been entirely different.

Kircheis was as good as Reinhard, probably as good as Yang. He died so that the empire wouldn't steamroll the alliance for the next two seasons.

I don't know if it would've. It seemed in Ruenthal's discussion with the one lady he kept around that he had resigned himself to the fact that he could not surpass Reinhard. It was only when his pride was at stake that he chose to rebel.

Lennenkapf was wrong to do that, but if Yang had actually been arrested worse case scenario, I doubt Reinhard would've let anything happen to the object of his obsession.

>Did he do anything wrong?
Yes, he asked to give a dog chicken, but didn't warn to remove a skin. His dog would be sick, because chicken skin is too fatty for pets.