Pre-2000s anime thread

Why did the switch to digital kill off quality?

Other urls found in this thread:

nyaa.si/view/995022
sporcle.com/games/RustySpider/anime-opening-quiz-ultra
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>I don't know how animation works

Because reasons

Honestly, the biggest problem with digital anime in the early 2000s is that they weren't made with HD in mind. Granted, most anime made on film weren't either but still.

because shortcuts. it saves effort, but it also saves time.

because dealing with occasional sweat drop in your keyboard is slightly more comfortable then painting with your blood and gouache

straight outta photoshop

What the fuck was up with Airbats?
You start a love triangle, make clear that worst girl is the front runner and main love interest and that best girl is supposed to lose, then you don't give worst girl any characterization, meaningful moments, plots or personality, instead have best girl absolutely steal the spotlight from everyone else, including the main character to the point is she is the most present character and every episode has in a position of relevance. Then you also give her a super hot voice and all the fan service in the show.
Someone please explain what were they thinking with this I can't make sense of this choice

Do tell

>starting a pre-2000s thread with digital v. cel debate
Garbage.

>Ikuhara used digital in the Utena movie's dance scene and it looked just fine
Truly a master

It let lazy people into the industry. Now they can create something half decent with less effort. They would never have been able to cut it back when everything was hand drawn.

Nice bit of info, did it hurt pulling it out of your ass?

HD is overrated

Damn...Talking Tom looks like THAT!

Because you're retarded.

Would anime look better if they still made cels but shot them with digital cameras instead of film?

I don't think it'd be noticeable enough of a difference to justify the cost of the cels.

Maybe so, but damn it does make a world of difference for old shows. Especially for ones with particularly shitty DVD transfers.

I really hate some of the shit it reveals though, like dust, cheap backgrounds, cel shadows.

They wouldn't even be able to air it anymore as all broadcast tv is in digital and has been for over a decade.

Problem isn't with it being digital, but with the people making it.

Not sure if serious.jpg

It might look nice for that retro feeling, but that's it.

Can we just keep it peaceful and talk about actual good pre-2000s anime

No but the lack of CGI and other digital effects might make the directors and animators actually try to compensate any constraints with skill and good ideas instead of cheesing it

Honestly, I don't mind that stuff as much as I mind everything looking muddy as fuck. Or entirely fucking blue in one case.

name a better female protagonist

too easy kid

Priss

They quite heavy, you know.

Why does digital shading look like such shit?

it can look good like in OPM or whatever but it lacks the visual diversity which hand drawn art and natural colouration create

A great girl trapped in a trash series, tbqh.

Anime doesn't need HD. 480p is fine. The detail just isn't there. What? You think you are magically going to see the pores on a guys face that wasn't drawn?

Anything above 480p for animation is asinine.

Pipe down, eyelet

easier job makes animators put less effort and quality in the end product. Also less time animating lets them focus on writing, but writing these days is cheap shit, so both areas get a decline in quality.

>pre-2000s anime thread

Oh, good.

I recently watched and finished Patlabor: Early Days (the short 7 episode OVA and during Christmas no less!), which left me surprised at how much I liked it given I'm not much of a MECHA fan. I plan on watching the first 1989 movie aanndd... the 'third' movie from 2002 since I vaguely remember seeing it on toonami and recall it being pretty interesting. I'm open to recommendations though since I'm not 100% sure what to watch with how much Patlabor there is.

Now, I had seen Devilman The Birth for Halloween and had also watched Amon Apocalypse some time last summer.. So with me having JUST finished Devilman Crybaby last night- I think I'd like to pick up Devil Lady as my next thing to watch.

Either way I've been having a pretty decent pre-2000's anime time as of late.
I even torrented Nadia and the secret of blue water and have it sitting on reserve at the moment.

The first two Patlabor movies are both god-tier.
WXIII has almost nothing to do with the rest of the franchise, but it's still worth watching.

Sounds like I'm in for a good time either way, thanks for the input, user.
It kind of feels weird how under the radar Patlabor went for me and maybe many others since it's good! It's good and there's LOTS, but I don't remember a dub or even vaguely hearing or seeing it ANYWHERE.

I say that comparing it to Ghost In The Shell which I had known and saw as a teenager never mind my high school had the manga available in the library.

Do you want to keep treating animators as slaves? (More than even now)

animators aren't animators because they want of easy money and easy hours, if anything they should be paid less and get a nice big slice of the surplus if their anime is good
you want substandard products at unfeasible production costs?

>that face
>the chin is in the same place it would be if she were staring forward
>her mouth is on the same level as her chin
>it looks like her mouth, eyes, and nose just crawled along her skin and planted themselves on her forehead

>No but the lack of CGI
You are an actual fucking idiot and you don't know anything about animation. What even makes you think you can't combine cels and CG?

>if anything they should be paid less and get a nice big slice of the surplus if their anime is good

Nigga, they already don't get a salary.

Watch the TV series and its sequel OVA as well.

yeah well maybe they shouldn't get a salary and only get paid for anime I specify

That's just silly. If they only got paid for the anime you liked, they wouldn't get paid at all because you don't like anything.

I'm not hearing a re-butt-al.

It made new outlets for animators since the bar to entry was faar lower.

We see the age of webgen animators start near the shift into more digital techniques.

It means that talented people who wanted to animate didn't have to force themselves into a shitty position in a studio just to be able to animate at all.

actually, since I'm paying them, they are all going to be making my own anime spin-offs such as Prince Phillionel's Bizzare Adventure

>Those smiles of pure joy as she, literally, breaks her enemies in two.

OVA Birdy is truly without equal...

>my high school had the manga available in the library.

how sticky were the pages?

The thought that hand drawn anime will soon be replaced by 3DCG leaves me absolutely depressed.

I think the first american release cut the lesbian orgy from the beginning. I might be mistaken. I've seen it in english with those pages included since then but in the past it wasn't there.

No disrespect to Lina, but I wish she were the protagonist.

Way more megabytes per episode so higher cost = more shortcuts

Good anime is all pre 2000.......

[Orphan] Stop!! Hibari-kun! - 07 - 12 (DVD)
nyaa.si/view/995022

>that chin
she took the bogpill?

because it was new tech. The 90's was was the pinnacle of hand drawn animation but it took decades of practice to get there. Digital stuff is still kinda new but it looks way better now than it did in like 2002

Fuck off dumb newfag.

they forgot what shading was

If I want to get into Patlabor, should I just watch all of it in release order, or is there some redundancy and genuine garbage?

is this from tekkaman blade 2?

Release order. Only the 3rd movie isn't as good as the rest of Patlabor.

Is that Nadia? Cause I'm still surprised Nadia is in SRW X.

Aozora Shōjo-tai huh. Never actually watched it. Could be something to watch if I have the time for it.

Shit, there's apparently like a bunch of different timelines released around the same time encompassing the manga, anime and OVAs, the fuck do I do first?

Pacing myself with three episodes a night with Hokuto no Ken and enjoying it a lot. A little repetitive though but now that the Shin arc is nearly over things are starting to get great.

It's not that hard

Route 1: Patlabor Early Days OVA>Movie 1>Movie 2>Movie 3 sucks

Route 2: Patlabor TV Series>Patlabor: The New Files

Do both routes cause Patlabor is good

Thanks hombre.

It's more outsourcing that killed off quality.

some anime had terrible coloring at that time.

it really was a dark time, in the form of garish colors.

What is so hard to understand here? Release order.

slut cat

>Why did the switch to digital kill off quality?
You obviously haven't played any of the Viper games.

>responding an hour late while being a faggot when the question was already answered

This isn't really a problem anymore grandpa, people can get notified when someone replies to them, and there's value to multiple replies in a discussion, especially to lurkers seeking the same information.

What did you score in this?

sporcle.com/games/RustySpider/anime-opening-quiz-ultra

kek, googled search and can confirm this happened

Shame that post added literally nothing new then.

The show was awful, but that last gun fight was glorious.

because it was a new technology that they did not know how to use

bump

because you compare good pre-2000 anime with bad post-2000 anime?

Because US destroyed Japanese economy via Plaza Accord, which subsequently destroyed anime budget when switch to digital occur

I'd rather the garish colours over the bland washed out pastels that infest modern anime.

I actually can't
Amelia is too dumb and naive, it gets old quick