When is an anime too edgy?

Just finished Devilman: Crybaby

When they start pulling this shit

>edgy
I never understood that.

I didn't like it at all.

We need to stop saying this word. Specially OP.

>devilman referenced berserk
go nagai confirmed bro?

Sup Forums is full of sensible moralfags from reddit

There's nothing inherently wrong with "edgy." Hellsing is the most edgy shit ever and it's amazing. It's when the edge is used for pure shallow shock or to give an air of undeserved maturity and coolness, I think.

The only media in my entire life that I've actually thought are "edgy" are shitty low budget films with no moral standards like August Underground. Anime has never actually been edgy.

>inb4 someone calls me edgy

>VLC
>Devilmeme
of course

I don´t get what Sup Forums means by edgy this days, probably neo Sup Forums thinks jin-roh is edgy and i love that movie. i suposse that i like edgy thinks so never is too much.

When it starts feeling completely out of place and unnecessary. Take Akame Ga Kill for example.

Elfen Lied is too edgy.
Crybaby is edge done right.

People who use the word "edgy" are children and under18fags. Anime has always been "mature". What is defined under "edgy" is actually "mature" but because you fags watch so much anime, you've become normalized to the stimulus. Shit that shocks you is not "edgy", it's simply just shocking, but anyone who isn't a fucking NEET highschooler shouldn't be shocked by what's already mature.

>Gratuitous sex and violence
>Mature
You sound like a 12 year old boy.
I agree. Crybaby's sex and violence didn't feel tacked on for pure shock value. It felt very natural and fit in well.

Crybaby is edgy, you crybaby.

Yes, but the edge is done well

Series with violence, sex, similars that you don't like = edgy
Series with violence, sex, similars that you like = not edgy
Pretty easy to understand.

Elfin Lied is the edgiest anime evar.

Are you 15?

>jojo gif
Must be.

>Edgy
>Bad in this case

They are DEMONS! If anything I fucking despise how every generic not even anime medium whatsoever tries to shoehorn some sort of heart into them.

And before you get into it Devilman doesn't do that although you could say its close. But people having strong enough egos to maintain themselves are not demons themselves just humans with some demonic tendencies. But pure demons are violent malicious outright evil monsters who exist to fulfill their desires.

Berserk is so great because apostles threw away their morality or atleast most of them did becoming demons and giving into those desires. The few that didn't like Zodd are still evil in a more noble way through battle. Although its hard to imagine what the hunters desires are.

I love early hellraiser because its unapologetically violent and it makes sense with a proper tone same with most of Berserk and Devilman.

Problem with "edgy" is its usually used to develop a little bitch character who turns out to be a moralfag cunt by the end. But shit like Akagi is amazing for it. This man is just malicious and wants to destroy other people unapologetically in a deep and meaningful way.

Elfen Lied isn't too edgy its just not good. Its violent for the sake of it with a poor tone. Devilman features devils the apocalypse things that make sense to escalate and murder.

Elfen Lied is about stupid pink haired girls with magic invisible arm powers that are mistreated.

Alucard isn't even that edgy. I mean, he kills by the truckload, but he has pride and class.

>Anime has always been mature

I miss 90's edgy anime. There's a real art form to doing proper gore.

>It's when the edge is used for pure shallow shock or to give an air of undeserved maturity and coolness, I think.
that's literally all hellsing does you mong

whats a doujin artist with a similar artstyle to crybaby ?

that makes it worse retard. Anything bad mixed with trying to be cool and classy is worse. Fedora tipping became a thing because autistic retards were pretending to be classy.

lel edgy

Yuasa is a communist do not watch anything by Yuasa

Meh. I don't like Berserk, but that's not edgy.

why did everyone have to die user, why cant we all live together?

Stop being a crybaby and watch more DEVILMAN

So are half the big-name anime directors and mangaka from the '60s and '70s, user. Even today the JCP are the only people speaking out against censorship laws.

>rotting bodies decompose much quicker when tossed around in the open like that
>the stink alone would drive any normal man to tears
>if even a drop of filthy blood gets in you, that's guaranteed bacterial infection which could easily lead to nausea, vomiting, and almost certainly death
>yfw when they give up this cringy edgelord scare tactics because the end result just isn't worth it

edgy is not a matter of extremes, but a matter of writing skill

>writing
>skill

This is not football or Street Fighter, bro.

Not anime.

Edge is justified in Devilman.
Its in the title, its a show about demons, of course they are going to show debauchery, decadence and gore

But that screenshot is from anime.

When the author is Hiroya Oku
well, if by "too edgy" you mean embarrassingly edgy

wtf i love yuasa now

There's three ways to do edge well:

-Small doses in order to rope in fans and generate interest, but not spend a large amount of time on it. (see: Goblin Slayer)

-The edginess isn't taken super seriously by most of the characters in the setting, more of a fact of life than anything to get all worked up over for most characters. (see: Dorohedoro)

-Go super over the top with it to the point that it wraps around to being good again. (see: Devilman)

Edginess can be good, you just have to handle it well, and know when enough is enough.

Seriously what's up with the VLC hatred? I need one logical reason why it's bad.

this, I watch anime with VLC on my phone all the time

80s anime/manga are exempt from being called edgy since if it wasn't most of them would be called such.

luckily they're all demons so they won't get affected as much

hell they can use it for chemical warfare

>Go super over the top with it to the point that it wraps around to being good again
I don't get why AgK gets so much hate when it does just that.
Edge with reckless abandon.

berserk referenced devilman ya dumbwit

Edgy has been used for years here to describe an anime as hyper violent with 0 substance aka shit. Elfen Lied and Kill la Kill fall under this tag.

The problem is newfags from reddit and anime hating goons who openly refused to lurk moar. I remember you fags crying like bitches to MOOT because we were too mean to you don't think my autism ever forgets.

Jin Roh, Devil Man, Fist of the North Star and MD Giest which are good anime with violence are lumped into the category of edgy by these newfag parrots who have only watched 10 anime and have absolute shit taste. I mean they think Naruto was good.

Waifus. 80's anime had less waifus.

Sure, anything with devils and Satan itself hast to have gore and debauchery.

Looks delicious. Blue rare is the best.

Literally 90% of all 90s ovas would be too edgy for you

Those corpses were roasted before they are skewed, so there is nothing about infection

t. 16yr old rebel teen

ITT Some Sup Forumsssholes whine about the anime about the apocalypse being too edgy.

Edgy is juste badly written shock value

What is the "Howard Stern Show" of anime?

Sometimes Sup Forums answer itself.

You're not very bright, are you ?

>I was just trolling!
No.

>Completely misunderstanding what he meant by "mature" even though he put it in fucking quotes
Do you think everyone thinks M-rated games are for sophisticated grownups?

This is my second post in this thread and you're a newfag.

>Kill la Kill
>edgy
Kill la Kill is basically anime Looney Tunes. It's not trying to shock with its over the top violence at all.

Why did the mute fuck betray the group?

Ave! Praise to Caesar!

Why in the fuck would you want to know.

Devilman Crybaby is the new age Elfen Lied. Absolute Garbage. The only episodes I actively enjoyed were 9 and 10 (except the part when they were kids, that shit was awful.) Felt like an insult to Go Naigai's work.

saw palm tree head's glasses in Miko's purse
Thought she killed him

Good ost though.

whats a baph doing on Sup Forums?

No that’s when they become comedies.

VLC fucks up badly with h.265 whereas Windows Media Player works fine

Throw in enough shakycam, grain filters, brooding music, closeups of characters going batshit to display some inner turmoil "psychological" bullshit and virtually any innocuous action can be turned edgy as fuck; without it literal genocide can be comedic and edge-free. It's almost 100% direction.

About 8-12"

>Anime has always been "mature".

She was such a dumb bitch I couldn’t feel any sympathy for her. I’m glad she died brutally. I hope they raped her corpse.

"edgy" manga is my bread and butter
Why bother reading if there's no blood and guts
I'd probably be reading a lot of comfy SOLs and coming of age stories instead

Tbh anime is going to be edgy by default, charecters and tropes are exaggerated so slight angst comes off as "I cut my chicken in two pieces so I can eat it" level angst.

Literally everything about Devilman is edgy
The entire appeal is in it being a violent, 70s style, schlock gorefest

>watching anime with lots of violence, blood, guys making ugly faces constantly, bad attitudes, foul language, posers that stand around trying to look cool, objectifying women, mass murder
You're only poisoning your soul watching all that garbage constantly. Stop watching all that shounen trash unless you want to end up like this guy (pic related), going mad, ruining your life, or worse, even hurting others, or killing yourself. Then again if you like that type of trashy shit and you contribute to making it popular maybe the world would in fact be better off without you

Itachi was always obviously going to die. What was this kid thinking?

I guess he couldn't Believe it

ebic b8 m9

>M.D. Geist
>Good

But people poison their liver all the time with alcohol and lungs with cigarette, they can always clean their soul later by reading Karl Marx books.

>md geist
>not good
fuck off pedrocuck

When people do edgy shit just for the sake of being edgy to the point where you can predict it immediately then it is too edgy.

>Sup Forums hates it

It was a masterpiece then, eh?

why though?

>MD Geist, a.k.a one of the worst pieces of shit released during the 80s and early 90s trash OVA boom
>good
Almost like you're either an edgy teenager who's trying hard to look like an anime historian or you're wearing your nostalgia goggles way too tight.

I suppose you also enjoyed Mars of Destruction?

You seen more gore in the Terra Formars OVA .

Genocyber

>newfag cant handle manliness of MD geist