Violet Evergarden - Anime and Novel Discussion thread

“Challengers, come forward.
I, Violet Evergarden, shall take you on.”
The beautiful woman standing calmly
amidst of so much violence
was lurid and bewitching.

Other urls found in this thread:

novelupdates.com/series/violet-evergarden/
reddit.com/r/anime/comments/7prdnt/a_collection_of_attempts_to_remove_the_filters/
youtube.com/watch?v=sXDR9uaURhk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

░█Is Violet a Robot?█░
No
░█Is Violet a Human?█░
Most likely not.
░█When what is Violet?█░
Unknown. Her origin is not explained and open to speculation, she herself does not know. Most hinted theory being avatar of goddess of war Garnet Spear or someone created in her image.
░█Is there Romance?█░
Yes, however its not a romance genre anime.
░█Is Gilbert really dead?█░
No.
░█What kind of content awaits in future episodes?█░
The story can be divided in three parts. Violets past. Work as Auto Memories doll. Novel finale.
Violet`s past has war flashbacks and majority of violent scenes in story and has darker tone compared to rest.
Work s Auto Memories Doll consists of episodic stories of her fulfilling requests of different clients - the real core of the story, with each likely taking one episode length and having differing mood and variety of plots - recording Violet`s growth as person, but focusing on clients more than herself. Some episodes are tragic, some comfy, some melancholic, some has action and flashy scenes. Episodic chapters are not to be underestimated, because its them that will make you cry, that do the world building more extensively, will show notable Violet growth as character from episode to episode.
Novel Finale - likely spanning two or three episodes, a thrilling an emotional conclusion with action and all developments coming together. Should be very cinematic. In fact, i wish they release it separately as a movie.
░█Where can i read novel?█░
novelupdates.com/series/violet-evergarden/

░█I watched the episode, it was BOOORING█░
Thank you for your input. It is a pity you could not truly appreciate such a wonderful story. Maybe it is just not a genre for you.
░█The writing is shit! Characters are flat and uninteresting! KyoAni should adapt better source material!█░
You are incorrect. First episode was perfect writing wise and very nuances and well crafted. Nothing that happened in it is unnecessary or meaningless. Everything you did not understand, will be given context and purpose as story develops. Rather than making wrong speculations about why characters act in certain way or their traits and traits of story, just watch the story and you`ll get your answers - because absolute majority of assumptions and interpretations generally made about characters and plot of it are wrong because of posters lack of information. The fault lies not in the writing, but in posters insistence to force what little they know of story into their rigid frame of (wrong) assumptions just about everything.
░█But its really shit! KyoAni should adapt something more of a quality. Just look at NGE or Madoka!█░
Yeah, we got you. Your opinion is noted an schedule for review at a later date. We will surely give (YOU) answer someday. In a meanwhile, you should refrain from posting in a thread of anime you dont enjoy, and focus more on the "better works" with "better writing" in this season or your backlog.
░█This is generic wishfulfillment moe romance typical KyoAni trash LN garbage █░
Absolutely. We wholeheartedly agree with you and shake your hand recognizing your talent as a critic. You fulfilled your duty, there is no point in posting about it again and there are hundreds of anime shows awaiting your review and valuable input as anime professional.

░█WTF Were they thinking with this blur and filters?!!█░
They were thinking about creating perfectly looking anime show given the resources they had, a setting and directional intent in question. And it is. Substracting or adding anything to it will only tarnish the perfection.
░█Let me fix this! Look at my color burned high contrast edits!█░
I am sorry to say it, but they look worse. If you think otherwise, consider getting medical help as there is obvious problem with your eyes, or even worse the optical nerver and Occipital lobe. Meanwhile, go back to your reddit threads. reddit.com/r/anime/comments/7prdnt/a_collection_of_attempts_to_remove_the_filters/
░█But KyoAni slaughers their animators and background artists work!█░
They might and you can file the complaint to KyoAni chamber of commerce and work unions about it. Meanwhile however, it still looks visually better, more detail rich and sharper thanks to native high resolution production an insane amount of detail than everything else.
░█Animation is shit! There is little sakuga! Look at my sakuga blocks!█░
Violet Evergarden by share amount of animated things and scenes is better than your favorite show. No one cares about your show with 3 seconds of freelance animator sakuga with sakugablogs and webgen scribbles per episode filled with QUALITY and poor visuals. VEG is easily the most stunning TV anime production to date. The background character alone are better animated than the main ones in your favorite an the share amount of animation and its consistency per episode is equal of season of your anime.

>But!
No buts. My opinion is correct and yours wrong.
>Nice argument
Better than yours.
>Look at my shitposting pasta!
Please go back to re ddit and M AL.
>Kyoanustards are retarded!
No u.
>Insert personal insult
No, its really u.
>Kyoani is SHIT! SHIT! SHIT!
Take your meds.
>Look mom, i did it again!
Finish your homework first.

>all opinions other than "it's perfect" are wrong and irrelevant
>don't bother thinking about what's happened or why just watch the rest of the show
Why bother with a discussion thread at all then?

First episode was directed by Ishidate, second should be by Fujita.

Looking forward to her work. First episode was very cinematic and crafted pretty much as bits of movies merged together where each scene was short and directly flowed to other key scene. Second should be more focused on characterization and interaction of Violet with her coworkers with usual Fujita visual touches

Episode three should be the dramatic culmination of the "prestory arc", though episodic chapters likely only to start with episode 5.

For this scenes anons interpretation so far seems to have two key points
- Since her both hands are metal, she is unable to feel texture of the items. So she has to do it with the face.
- Biting the toy is her reminscenting about trying to drag Gilberts body out of warzone with her teeth.

Both seems correct. Given since just after that follows the scene actually showing the flashback with Gilbert, its intentional.

What the hell is this thread? Are you retarded?

fuck off autistic shill

VEG is doing good in preorders

***,*86位 (***,212pt) [*,**0予約] 2018年04月04日 【Amazon.co.jp限定】ヴァイオレット・エヴァーガーデン 1 (第1巻のみ特典:L版ブロマイド + 全巻購入特典:「LPサイズディスク収納ケース」引換シリアルコード付) [ VIOLET EVERGARDEN ] [Blu-ray]

So far only the seasons regular fujoshit is higher than it.

More Iris and Erika next episode. Fun fact, Iris is from a nation that lost the war, so Violet killed her compatriots.

circlejerk

Its not circlejerk if its all about how violet`s mechanical hand jerking would feel

KyoAni puts huge amount of work into side and background characters in very show. Violet is not exception, the sad thing being some of the cutes in the show are in passing one lolis and beuties
background so dont get a proper shots.

Hodgins is the real self insert MC of the show. Established company to have his own harem, Cattlaya lusts after him, has a secretary in see through clothes later and flirts with every skirt in town.

Fuck it. They should do an OL anime in the future. This design are just too good.

Nah, their lolis are good too. There were plenty in the show, but mostly background characters that are hard to spot. Plus there will be Violet as 10 yo loli in flashbacks.

Map of Leiden port

Look at that floor. 1080 is too little. KyoAni soon guaranteed to make 4k anime.

Ishidate in interview told that KyoAni intended to adapt VEG as singular story instead of episodic format. Rearranging the order of events for first episode confirms it. It is interesting how they intend to integrade the episodic stories into whole plot since they want to make it seamless. Probably with original content inbetween so that transitions make sense and dont feel like jump over the places.

Ishidate also told that every episode should give different scenery and feeling, showcasing Violet`s travel and different aspects of story.

Episode 1 of VEG was made by 10 animators in total. Ten, just ten. For a show that looks better than productions of studios listing 50 subcontractor and hundred freelancers in credits.

Other studios, do you even try?

Violet is cute. Cute.

KyoAni own shows crossover when?

Given they now make events about them and promote their characters in combined art, KyoAni Carnival Phantasm is given eventually.

Already happened.

Nah, need a proper OAV. Maybe something released for the next KyoAni Fest. They own all characters and LNs so shoudnt be any problem with that.

There is a official crossover short LN chapter distributed on Comiket and KyoAni fest involving Kumiko, Violet and Free`s Haru

---
: Eh…?!

Haru: Let’s get along.

Violet: Let us indeed get along well, Master, Young Mistress.

Kumiko: Eh…?!

Haru: ……

Violet: ……

Kumiko: Uh, ah, let’s get along, yeah!

Kumiko: Hum, I came here for a rehearsal for my band’s concert series. Why did the two of you come here today?

Haru: A film we made during spring break will be screened, so I came here to watch it with my swimming team.

Kumiko: Will it show everyone from the club swimming?

Haru: I haven’t yet watched it, so I have no idea.

Kumiko: So there’s no way you’d know. But it’s rare for people to see themselves in a movie playing somewhere! Wah, amazing! What did you come here for, Violet… chan?

Violet: A mission.

Kumiko: “Mi… Mission”?

Violet: President Hodgins requested me to come here on this day.

Kumiko: Erm… “President”?

Violet: My employer.

Kumiko: I see, hehe. Hum, what will you be doing here?

Violet: My mission is to watch a movie and listen to a concert band performance.

Kumiko: Wah. So you also came for the performance. Thank you!

Violet: Have I done anything warrant your gratitude?

Kumiko: ……

Haru: What’s that “Auto-Memories Doll” stuff you mentioned?

Violet: My occupation.

Kumiko: First time I’ve heard of it. What kind of work do you do?

Violet: It is a profession in which I write letters regarding whatever my client wishes.

Kumiko: So you write letters in your clients’ stead? Sounds difficult…

Haru: *points at a nearby typewriter* You use that?

Violet: Yes. It is a weapon.

Kumiko: “Weapon”…?

Haru: For fighting?

Violet: I do not fight with it.

Haru: ?

Violet: ?

Kumiko: Hum…

Kumiko: Ugh, what a heavy mood…! Gotta change the subject!
So, uh, what kinds of letters have you written before?

Violet: I am currently in the process of thorough training.

Kumiko: “Training”…? Ah, so you’re still an apprentice, Violet-chan? Of course, since you’re still young…

Violet: I am indeed undergoing training, but is that related to being young?

Kumiko: Sorry about that… Ah, right! Did you go sightseeing anywhere, Nanase-san?

Haru: I went to the river.

Kumiko: “The… river”?

Haru: One with a wooden bridge across it and lots of people.

Kumiko: Ah, the Great Sanjou Bridge, right? I also go there with my friends when we don’t have practice.

Haru: The water there is too shallow. I couldn’t swim in it.

Kumiko: You’d wanted to swim in the Kamo river?!

Haru: Makoto stopped me, though.

Kumiko: Thank goodness. There was someone to stop you. Violet-chan, where did you come here today from?

Violet: From the mountains.

Kumiko: First the river and now the mountains…
Enough with these guys…!

Violet: Miss Cattleya called it “Arashi”.

Kumiko: Ah! Mount Arashi, right? Were you touring?

Violet: No. We were on a trip to a customer’s place on that day, to write on their behalf.

Kumiko: So you travel to lots of places… sounds like a rough job.

Violet: I do not harbor any feelings of exertion towards it.

Kumiko: Then… sounds like all’s fine, but… ugh… *sighs*

Haru: Oumae, do you live in Kyouto?

Kumiko: Yes, I live in Uji, in Kyouto Prefecture.

Haru: “Uji”? Where the Uji river is?

Kumiko: Yep! Uji river is famous for appearing in “Genji Monogatari”!

Haru: If it were there… I’d be able to swim.

Kumiko: Absolutely not! The Uji river’s stream is so fast that swimming in it is prohibited!

Haru: Is that so…?

Kumiko: Rather, you can’t swim in any river!

Kumiko: Ah, uuuuh—oh, yeah, where are you from, Violet-chan?

Violet: I have come from the port city of Leiden, capital of Leidenschaftlich.

Haru: I was born in a port town, too. Do you swim, Violet?

Violet: It is possible for me.

Haru: Oh.

Kumiko: ……
Enough already… Somebody save me!

Silence went on after the messy conversation. Would Kumiko, Haruka and Violet be able to come to an understanding with each other?

Part 2:
There had been no laughter in Kumiko, Haruka and Violet’s waiting room. Instead, a serious atmosphere loomed over the place. Kumiko was at her wit’s end when there was a sudden knock on the door…

Cattleya: Excuse us!

Makoto: Ah! Haru! I finally found you!

Reina: So you were in this room.

Kumiko: Reinaaaaaaaaa!

Reina: Hehe, you’re so funny, Kumiko.

Kumiko: I didn’t mean to be funny!

Makoto: Haru, I was startled when you disappeared out of the blue.

Haru: I would’ve come back if you’d called me.

Makoto: Yeah, yeah, you say that after having left us. Everyone was worried!

Cattleya: We were searching for you guys all on our own when we met in the lobby. Then, we hunted for you together.

Reina: This room was super quiet when I passed by earlier, so I didn’t think there was anyone inside.

Kumiko: *gulps*

Cattleya: Wait, were you chatting? Violet, you’ve changed a bit, haven’t you?

Kumiko: Yes. She’s very strange… AH!

(T/N: This just now was a pun that gets lost in the translation. The word “strange” can be written with the same characters as “changed” in Japanese. Kumiko misunderstood what Cattleya meant at first and blurted out something with a different meaning, lol.)

Cattleya: Don’t sweat it. She’s only just started getting around. There’s still quite a lot that she doesn’t yet know.

Kumiko: No, I think there’s a lot in this world that I also don’t know about.

Any illustration?

Reina: You weren’t able to have a conversation at all, were you?

Kumiko: Hic…!

Makoto: That’s okay! Everyone gets nervous when meeting people for the first time. So, why don’t we try talking about something now?

Cattleya: Let’s do it~. So… who’s got something to discuss?

Reina: Why don’t we choose a subject that anyone can talk about? Like what food we enjoy?

Kumiko: Yeah! I like cooking eggs, and I really love making fluffy rice omelets!

Haru: Mackerel.

Makoto: That’s right. Haru is really good at cooking. He can make various types of dishes with mackerel.

Kumiko: Oh~, amazing!
Thank God some normal people came to my aid!

Cattleya: What about you, Violet?

Violet: So long as I obtain the necessary amount of nutrients to be able to move around, I have no problem with consuming anything.

Cattleya: Hahaha! *strained laughter* Sorry, everyone.

Reina: *discreetly* Was she like that all this time?

Kumiko: *quietly* Yep.

Makoto: Well, everybody has things they like and don’t like to eat. So why don’t we pick something else to talk about?

Reina: Then, how about “stuff we’ve done lately”?

Makoto: Sounds great!

Haru: I got my driver’s license.

Everyone: Oooh!

Cattleya: Violet’s done something like that too, you see!

Violet: I have practiced my typing.

Everyone: Oooooooh!

Cattleya: She was pretty unskilled at the beginning, but once she started training, she improved very quickly.

Kumiko: You two are incredible… I… uh, something I’ve done recently? Hmmm? This is bad, nothing is coming to mind!

Reina: What about “that thing”?

Kumiko: Ah! In the band, I’ve finally become able to play a line that was hard for me before.

Makoto: That’s wonderful!

Haru: Yeah!

Cattleya: You’ve certainly put a lot of effort in there.

Kumiko: T-Thank you very much!

Makoto: What instrument do you play?

Kumiko: I play the eupho.

Haru/Makoto/Cattleya: “UFO”?

Kumiko: Of course you wouldn’t know of it. It’s a brass instrument that is basically a smaller version of the tuba. Since it’s part of the bass section, it might be a bit too trifling for people to know… By the way, Reina plays the trumpet.

Haru/Makoto/Cattleya: I know the trumpet.

Kumiko: Of course you would…

Cattleya: My, so you both are actual musicians!

Kumiko: I wouldn’t consider myself a musician…

Cattleya: Speaking of which, Violet also brought a book to read for the performance!

Violet: This book is also about the euphonium.

Kumiko: Ah! It’s the “Fun Euphonium”!

Violet: “The euphonium is a brass instrument in the low-middle range. Its trait is a soft, temperate sound that envelopes the audience.”

Makoto: Is that so? I’ll make sure to pay attention for it during the performance.

Kumiko: Ah, please do…
I’m sort of happy…

Makoto: But concert bands must have tough practices. It’s a cultural club, and you need a lot of stamina, too.

Kumiko: Well, it’s not easy… but I really like it.

Haru: It’s good to treasure the things you’re fond of.

Kumiko: Yeah! Nanase-san, you sure love swimming, right?

Haru: Yes. I want to continue swimming, too.

Kumiko: Hehehe. I somewhat feel like performing right now.

Reina: Kumiko, it’s almost time for the ensemble practice.

Kumiko: It is! We gotta go.

Makoto: Haru and I should be heading to the screening too. Well, then, you two make sure to do your best tomorrow!

Cattleya: We’ll be looking forward to listening to your performance.

Kumiko: Everyone, thank you so much! Violet-chan, will you come to see tomorrow’s concert?

Violet: Affirmative. *bows* I shall endeavor to analyze the music at the concert of you two.

Haru: It’s not just them; a concert is something created by the whole band. It’s just like a relay.

Kumiko: Ah, true! Everything comes back to swimming for you, Nanase-san!

Makoto: Hahaha. *strained laugh*

Cattleya: You two are pretty in-synch as well!

Kumiko: Uh? Ah! *forces mouth shut*

Reina: Hehe, that’s so like you, Kumiko.

How many times did you watch episode 1? 8 so far and planning to at least once more daily until next one.

Can this thread be deleted already?

Why?

It offends his feelings.

Immediately, the girl aimed the mechanical bow and shot an iron arrow. It perfectly hit the handle of the axe stuck in the prisoner’s head. With the impact of the arrow, the blade was buried further into his cranium. The prisoner continued screaming until he collapsed backwards with an agonized, painful expression.

All chatter ceased.

Without paying the crowd any mind, the girl moved her petite feet in the direction of the convulsing prisoner, aiming the bow towards his torso and firing another arrow as she drew closer. It was a ruthless, precise, mechanical murder. The iron arrow pierced his chest and took his life away for good.

The girl retrieved the axe from the corpse and swung it lightly downwards, the blood and fat on the blade splashed onto the floor. She also seemed familiar with the successive pattern of collecting the iron arrows and repositioning them. Although her frame was of a young child when she stood still, her image was that of a skilled hunter when she moved.

No one had foreseen that the rug laid on the training ground would be stained with the prisoners’ blood. But from then on, that place would be covered in it. A girl soldier who would engrave her name in the history of Leidenschaftlich’s army was about to be born. As the spectators fearfully embraced that premonition, their stares focused on Gilbert.

He stood up, leaning his body against the security rail. Once more, he gave the order, yelling on top of his lungs, “Kill!!”

The girl moved like an automated doll. She sped up, her small body progressively lowering. Again, she threw the axe, still glistening with blood, into the vital point of one of them.

The prisoners then separated into those who scattered off and those who charged at her wielding their batons in spite of being overwhelmed. The ones that ran away were shot merciless and repeatedly in the head by the arrows. The brave ones cooperated with one another and surrounded the girl. It seemed they planned to corner her and beat her to death. They attacked in unison, trying to steal her weapons.

But such scheme was a mistake.

In the meantime that the girl could not be seen through the gaps between their bodies, the prisoners screamed and rolled onto the floor. Their ankles had been hit, and it was not a random attack – she stabbed and slashed them over and over. Such tactic could be executed due to the girl’s effective flexibility. Her figure as she stood with the knife in hand in the middle of the fallen ones was horrifyingly extraordinary, like a fairy conceived from petals of blood.

As a prisoner attempted to escape while dragging his feet, she rushed to grab his head from behind and tear his throat with the knife, silently ending his life. Her hand movements were similar to that of a chef decapitating fish and chickens. She then turned to the prisoners waiting to be dismantled, murdering them one by one. In the process, the knife eventually became unusable and she could not kill with anything except the batons.

“No! No! No!”

“She’s a monster! Help us! Hey, please help us!”

“NOOOOOOOOOOOO!”

The one originally meant to serve as bait for such a homicidal game had been the girl. However, he had also not wished for her to be the only one breathing in the end. After all the prisoners had been killed, had they been insufficient as the girl stared straight at referee who watched everything while holding a gun?

The frightened referee pointed the gun at her, but whether he could kill her or not was debatable. Whatever weapon was used to confront her, the chances of winning were slim. She was absolute. Her fighting techniques using multiple weapons compensated for her lesser physical power. Her outstanding skills were superior to brute strength.

Where had she learned all of that and what did she use to do? Even if she could talk, one could not hope for a decent answer.

Her assassination techniques made clear that she had a gift for conquering things through butcher. Not even being outnumbered was an issue. The audience of that ‘show’ was enraptured by her and could not help but applaud her wonderful talent. She was a prodigy. If any gods that controlled death existed, surely she was dearly loved by them.

The little killer who had obeyed the commands of her Lord directed her gaze at Gilbert. Blue and green eyes met.

“Stop.” He shook his head at the girl. As he did so, she dropped the baton she had been holding and knelt down on the spot.

Seated on the pool of blood, the girl breathed profoundly. Even as she was sultry with blood and fat, her figure as she inhaled and exhaled with such small lips was but that of a child. It only added up to her fearsomeness.

Ashen snow danced about nimbly. It all started with a single flake, morphing into several others flocking together and eventually covering the soil. For villages that had not prepared for colder periods, travelers crossing highways on foot, and fields and mountains where vestiges of autumn still lingered, the manifestations of winter made its power known.

Why did the four seasons exist? There was no one that could possibly answer such question, yet it was incontestable that said seasons were necessary, since they repeatedly regulated life and death and assisted the world’s cycle so that it would not delay.

In the middle of a certain battlefield, a girl observed the sky. As the white cold substance slowly floated down, the girl asked the Lord beside her, “What is that?”

“That’s snow, Violet.” taking off his gloves that smelled of gunpowder smoke, the Lord held an open hand in front of her. A flake descended onto it and soon liquefied.

The girl let out a puff at the oddness of the sight. For the first time, she attempted saying the name of the substance that had dissolved in her Lord’s hand, “Snow…” Hers was the intonation of a small child that had just started to learn words.

“That’s right, ‘snow’.”

“Are there… types of snow that melt… and types that don’t?” the girl turned towards a dead body on the ground that still held onto a weapon. Snow amassed over it like a coat of powdered sugar.

There was not only one corpse. Around the area the two found themselves in, countless soldiers’ bodies were scattered all over the frigid earth, as if they had been abandoned without so much as graves to reside in.

“The one on Major’s hand melted. The one on those corpses… did not.” she pointed at them with the battle-axe in her hand.

Making no comment on her lighthearted attitude towards the deceased, the Lord merely lowered the weapon down. “Snow fluxes when it comes in contact with warmth. If it falls onto cold things, it merely piles up. Give me your hand.”

Europe Novels

The girl did exactly as told. As the Lord removed her glove, which was of the same color as his own, her pale hand was exposed. Snow fell onto her porcelain-like skin as well, turning into water. For a second, the girl, whose doll-like face lacked emotion, widened her eyes.

“It melted…” She exhaled again with a, “Hooh…”

One could not discern the expression on the Lord’s gaze as he watched her reaction from the side. He seemed just as aloof. Once he wiped the droplet on her hand with a finger, he added, “As it evidently would.”

“Is that so? I thought… it might not melt on my hand.”

The envoys of ice that cascaded from the sky continuously touched the girl’s hand and the Lord’s one that grasped it, melting onto the two palms of different sizes.

“So I, too, am warm.” The girl stated the obvious with the tone of someone that had just witnessed a miracle.

“You are… alive. That’s why you are warm.”

“But… I was often told that… I seem to be made of ice.”

“By whom?”

“Well… they might be amongst those that perished…”

With just a glance, it could be noted that, amongst the heaps of dead bodies that lay on the prairie, some wore the same uniform as the girl and the Lord. The girl displayed no signs of sorrow or pain at that fact. Winter wind blew strongly in the space between the two of them with a whistle.

“From now on, report to me whenever you are insulted.”

Surely, the girl had not thought of it as an insult. Even now, it seemed she had not completely understood what exactly she was supposed to report, but nodded earnestly, then stared at the Lord’s face the same way she had observed the snow melt. Upon noticing some of it accumulating on his shoulders, she automatically stretched her arm to dust it off.

“Snow… erases other colors when it piles up, does it not?”

The Lord caught her hand, putting the glove back on it. “Yes. Not just colors, but also sounds.”

The girl’s hand gradually grew warm. It was due to the heat granted by the glove. “Is that so?” She peeked into the emerald green orbs that meant everything to her. In them was reflected an expressionless, spectacularly beautiful girl soldier covered in blood. “If it snowed… in the whole world…” the girl paused for a moment, “it would become harder for people to kill each other.” She asked after examining the Lord’s face again, “Would that erase Major’s worries as well?”

“Violet,” the Lord answered as though to lecture the innocent girl, “to erase something… means simply to hide it, not solve it.”

As she also took off her Prussian blue jacket and inversed it, she pulled a handgun out of the puffed sleeve. Next, she rolled her skirt up just a little. Fastened around her tight was garter belt with spare bullets, and upon reaching further up with her hand, she took out a holster with a ballistic knife as well. Lastly, she raised her hands towards her complex and diligently braided golden hair. Said braid rolled into a bun and ended on the dark red ribbon that decorated it, and from that spot was where Violet swiftly took out one thin, needle-like golden object. Then two, then three.

“What… do you use these for?” Chaser inquired, terrified by Violet’s hidden weapons.

“They’re concealed devices used for piercing the carotid artery.”

All present, with the exception of Violet, sucked in a breath.

“What… are you?”

“Rather than being for frequent use, they’re for protection. I hear it is unsafe for women to travel alone. Still, I am nothing but the amanuensis Violet Evergarden.” She said as though proclaiming, merely taking a fountain pen and a letter set that shone silver from the trolley bag.

“Are there really… no more weapons?”

Being asked for confirmation, Violet seemed thoughtful once again before nodding. “None. The sole thing left is the fact that I myself am a living weapon, yet I cannot do my job if I am not allowed to pass, so is this all right?”

This is astounding.

No other studios can make a show this great.

Oh my god. Praise KyoAni.

“I wonder… why no one properly listens to what I say.” Edward moved his neck in circles. He then glared as though there were someone other than Violet near him. “It’s so troublesome… Hey, Violet… you have it good, don’t you? Even though we did the same things, you’re treated with honor. People also listen more to what you say, right? Not my case. Once you’re marked as inadequate, it’s over.” He trembled slightly as he firmly balled his fists. “Isn’t that right? I mean, what’s the difference between us? If it’s the amount of people we killed, you’re the one with a bigger number, right? I dunno why… but I’m a war criminal. War criminal. Do you know what that is? Someone who commits crimes during war. My country lost the last Great War, and the one that won – in other words, the allied nations led by your country – decreed that I was ‘a mass murderer who killed too many people’. When the time to return to the majestic hands of my motherland that used to praise me for my strength came… our order was shelved and I became a live sacrifice. It’s weird. It’s really weird. It pisses me off. I killed a lot because my country told me to… so you think I could forgive them for suddenly being like, ‘those actions were depraved’? I can’t forgive… I merely ate the bait as I was told to. If what they gave me to eat was rotten, the one to blame shouldn’t be me, but the higher-ups, right? Even so, those guys… tried to judge me before running away. I was just trying to make a place for myself in my country and lead a joyful life… but no matter where I went, I would be punished. I don’t like punishment, it’s scary… Hey, is there no country where you can do whatever you want without it being labeled as a crime?”

“I am…”

And said beauty, much like the snow, concealed something.

“…some sort of… remnant.” Violet defined herself as neither woman nor man, or even as a person.

“‘Remnant’…?”

“Yes. I am not what could be called… a ‘girl’. As Sir Edward said, I killed many as a soldier. I am an assassin. Except, the title bestowed upon me… was not this. That is all. In reality, I am one of the people that were supposed to be in here. The only difference… is what people… call us.”

Edward blinked a few times, as if astounded. “You admit you’re a murderer?”

“It is the truth. It is not as if… I had forgotten about this. And also not as if I had not acknowledged it. I still have weapons… inside my bag, despite the war being over.”

“That’s surprising… what, so this is how it is? I was completely under the impression… that you were living by re-creating yourself as something lovely and pretending your past had never happened. I mean, you…”

Edward’s hollow eyes seized Violet. The single figure reflected in those pupils – golden hair, irises of a blue even more crystalline than the sea’s, rose-colored lips. No matter from what perspective, she had been born loved by the Gods.

“You’re… beautiful.”

At that sentence, Violet thinly smiled at him for the first time. It was a taut smile that could almost make a sound as it spread. “People mostly see… what appears in front of their eyes. Even though it is not as if monsters are only those with horns.”

>deleting AOTD

This should be a bannable offense

Fate/UBW and Railgun S are way better in the visual department.
KyoAni and Do productions have great backgrounds that vary in styles and settings, but they've been blurred to hell and back in most cases. I like gentle blurring, and I like artsy overexposition, both of which KyoAni does, but a lot of their decent backgrounds are going to a complete waste. I feel sorry for the people who make them.
Anyway:
>award-winning material
It was KyoAni's own LN awards, not some somewhat respectable award like the Nihon SF award. I'm not saying it's bad, it's just not the most respectable of awards there is.
>best studio
Debatable. While they have the most consistent quality (it never goes to shit soon after the first episode), and an excellent track record, they're not "THE BEST". While they're faulty, I'd call Ufotable the best. Backgrounds, SFX, VFX, animation, good CGI use - they've got it all down.
>animation and art is 10/10
It's good, but like I said above, it's all going to waste since shit's blurred to hell and back.
Oh, and KyoAni's CGI department is complete and utter shit. Ufotable wins yet again.
>headed by perhaps the most talented TV director in the medium
That's not Kojima Masayuki nor Miura Takahiro.

I respect KyoAni for doing almost everything in-house, which is pretty uncommon these days, but don't you think you're praising them a bit too much?

In violation of global rules 6 and 10.

“Yes. Who is the letter’s addressee and what will its contents be?”

“I don’t want anyone else to hear who the addressee is so I will whisper it. I’m sending this to… only one person. Someone I seriously want to kill, but haven’t been able to.” Edward pointed to the ceiling. “To God.”

Upon hearing so, Violet did not say that letters could not be delivered to such place. She looked at the direction Edward pointed to and blinked as if it was too bright. As she did so, Edward brought himself near her, his face next to her ear.

“…write Him that.” Only Violet heard the words he breathed out. After having whispered to her, he placed a kiss on her temple. “Farewell. Bye, Violet.”

-----

Perhaps because it was snowing, the footsteps Violet had previously left on the ground were no longer in sight, and a new, pure white path lay in their stead. Snow really did hide everything. Smells, sounds, and everything in its way.

“Violet.”

About to enter the carriage prepared by the prison’s directorship, Violet turned on her heels upon being called by Chaser.

“Where… are you going now?”

“I will return to where my head office is located for a little while. It is… my current home.”

“Is that so…?” It was not what she had actually wanted to ask. “Hey, who will you deliver that psychopath’s letter to?”

The words Violet let out along with a white breath sounded bitter, “I cannot speak of my exchanges with clients.”

“I listened to everything. While you were in there, I was monitoring your conversation from a separate room. That was my other duty for today. Hey, you can’t deliver things… to God. Just throw away… that rascal’s letter.”

“No.” Violet shook her head. “He is someone that I, too, will meet someday after all.”

Dietfriet smiled only with his lips, and then pointed at the thieves while nodding at the girl. “Kill.”

Gilbert was about to grab the girl’s tiny fingers, but in a second, her hand was gone.

The command’s execution was instantaneous. The girl jumped like a cat onto the nearest man with the knife in position, slashing his throat as cleanly as though cutting a fruit from a tree. From his neck, the ‘branch’, a large amount of blood burst out, and his head, the ‘fruit’, shook relentlessly.

She posed no hesitation to assassinate, and was fast to move on to the next action. Using the man’s body as a stepping-stone, the girl leaped and wrapped her bare legs around the neck of another thief, thrusting the knife into the crown of his head. Cries of deathly agony echoed in the room.

The girl then took the unused weapon from the second corpse and turned to face the remaining three people. The thieves, who had finally realized the seriousness of their circumstances, screamed and launched themselves at the girl. But she was quicker. Using her small body, she slipped past their feet and stabbed one after another from behind.

She was so light, yet the way she swung her arms with was so heavy. Her body was even more impressive than Gilbert’s, who had been trained in battle and martial techniques as well as wielding weaponry in the military. She looked as if she had no weight or center of gravity. Every time she flew around, fresh blood splashed along.

“Please stop… sto… stop…” the cornered last man implored for his life. He had completely lost the will to fight back, desperately pleading with trembling lips and a voice coated in fear, “I won’t ever do that again… I’ll compensate for my crimes… so please don’t kill me.”

Most likely, he was reminiscing to what the cooks had told him when finding themselves in the same situation, spitting out what he could remember. He then dropped his weapon to show no resistance.

The girl looked behind her shoulder while still clasping the bloody knife. She sought judgment.

Gilbert shouted, “Stop!”

“Do it.” at the same time, Dietfriet raised his thumb and motioned with it as if cutting his own neck.

The girl opened her mouth a little, showing reluctance. Her eyes darted between the two without settling on either. Seeing that, Dietfriet was perplexed for a moment, then started laughing. He seemed happy.

“Kill.” he ordered once again, still laughing.

The girl moved her arm while still gazing and Dietfriet, robbing the last man’s life. The series of murders took less than a minute altogether. Breathing heavily, she looked in their direction again. She did not speak, but her eyes inquired, “Is this enough?”

——What is this? Gilbert strongly asked himself. What? What on Earth is going on? He gulped lethargically. Is this reality?

“You got it, right? This, Gilbert… isn’t just a kid. Once you figure how to use it, it can become the best weapon in the world…”

He no longer doubted his brother’s words.

Are these the worst threads on Sup Forums?
I think so.

No

Yes, this retard can't understand that most of us don't want to be spoiled so we go to the other thread.

>muh spoilers
This is a thread for anime AND novel.

You are correct though, other theads are better for shitposting.

However, one of the criminals held Violet at gunpoint as she had started acting odd. “Hey, what are you doing?! Hands up!”

“Understood.” She raised her arms, just as she was told.

The next instant, only the lanterns of the car abruptly burst and the lights went out. The screams of the passengers mingled with the hijackers’ angry voices. But there were no gunshots. The sounds of something striking and of breaking glass continued. Then, it became completely quiet. Everyone was enveloped in bewilderment at the silence that met them amidst the pitch darkness.

What had happened to the hijackers? What had been made of the girl who had suddenly stood up? What on Earth was going on in that car at that moment? While the passengers’ minds were filled with questions, fire was lit back within one of the shattered lanterns. A beautiful woman holding a match emerged from the dark like a spirit. With an index finger against her lips, she whispered a “shh”. The woman stood out vividly against the colors of the night. All the passengers who took notice of her fell silent under compulsion.

“Pleased to make your acquaintance. I am a traveler. Everyone, I am aware that you must be tired. Please wait a little bit longer. I will now take control… of the guards outside and the freight car.” Saying no more than that, Violet blew out the match’s fire with a whiff.

The men charged at her from back and front. Firstly, she crisscrossed the knife bouts from a man who had come from behind. She defended herself with her left hand, grasped his face and pushed him backwards. As he faltered, she swept him off his feet and, just like that, delivered a kick to drop him off the train.

An enemy who rushed towards her from the front attempted to hit her with his bare hands. It was a tall and broad man. He probably had confidence in his physical strength. Merrily, he targeted Violet’s face. Receiving a series of kicks with both arms, Violet aimed for an opening, placed a hand onto the hull and rotated her long legs. While he was overtaken by her kick, she sank the fist of her free hand into his stomach. But the man seemed to have a hard protection plank hidden under his clothes. She did feel that something had bent, but there were no sounds of bones breaking.

“I’ll crush your face! Die!” After a pause, the man raised his fist towards her once more.

Violet accepted it with one hand, pulled the gun from the holster and shot his thigh at close range.

“You… that’s unfa…”

Nothing was cowardly about Violet, who had been raised in the battlefields. She gently pressed the collapsing man’s shoulder, and he disappeared into the dark with a scream. As Violet was on her own yet again, the rattling of the train resounded in her ears.

>H-hey guys lets discuss this show with such shallow plot and characters with terribly uninteresting world building that gives us literally nothing to talk about besides the visuals and the filters.
> 8 hours
> 16 posters
> all shit flinging

This is fucking pathetic, the really couldn't properly intrigue the audience by at least one plot element or idea worth discussion? At least expand on the world they made, let us know who they where fighting and why, that'd give us something to talk about baka.

The last part is relevant.

What the fuck is this thread? Is this some new genius falseflagging tactic or pure autism?

It is a thread for those actually interested in Violet Evergarden story as opposed to shitposting and speculating pointlessly. Itt: for people who can read and get the information they want from the sources posted rather than browse though dozens of shitflinging threads and argue over bait edits

The bits posted not spoil much, but merely offer a glimpses into whats to come to be more excited for when it does.
--------
Violet simply retorted Lisbon’s curses, “I see. I might really be a demigod, by the looks of it. If that is the case, I can confirm many of these things.” With her tone that had a sweet ring to it becoming icy, she continued, “Indeed, there might be no helping it if an imitation of human being such as myself were killed with the pretense of being returned to Heaven. But Lady Lux is different. She is… merely a girl who went through frightening experiences.” There was no hesitation in her actions or words. “You might be satisfied if I said ‘please take me’. However, I am now a domesticated monster. I cannot afford to be killed so easily. I am forbidden to fight unnecessary battles, but… my Lord once told me” she removed her black gloves, displaying her artificial arms, “to ‘live’.” Violet instantly rushed towards Lisbon, this time throwing a punch at her stomach.

Lisbon flew a long distance. Her body fell into the river and the other nuns went for her aid in an extreme hurry, as it seemed she would be carried away by the current.

Just a swing from one of her fists was enough to send someone soaring through the air like a doll. Upon witnessing that fact, those who had taken back their weapons let go of them at once.

“Challengers, come forward. I, Violet Evergarden, shall take you on.” The beautiful woman standing calmly amidst of so much violence was lurid and bewitching.

It's a thread for European novel enthusiasts.

I have never seen viral marketing as bad as this before. Netflix is a cancer.

Someone dangled onto a long iron rope that hung from the low-altitude plane. The person stretched their arm to grab the battle-axe cast down to destroy everything in that spot, spinning around the holder several times before landing on the ground. Aiden inhaled deeply from watching such acrobatic body movements, but his breathing only became disturbed instead.

------
“Forgive me for interrupting your conversation. I have taken the liberty to intrude from above.” Her voice resounded loudly, “Is Mister Aiden Field around here?”

Speaking so elegantly and bearing a dignified appearance, she could be either an angel or a reaper, leaving the men bewildered. That was only the expected – with a woman of that caliber showing up in the battleground, one would not be able to help but wonder if they were hallucinating.

Aiden, who had become a little relieved that the other men were focusing on her, was soon struck by dread again.

——What… is this?

Why was that woman looking for him? While wondering about it, Aiden was in a dilemma and could not think of anything to do other than answering the unfathomable entity. “I-It’s me… I’m Aiden.”

Maybe revealing his name had been a mistake. It could put him in an even worse situation. Even so, the faces of the people from his hometown resurfaced in his mind.

“Help… me…” he pleaded hoarsely.

As the woman’s emotionless orbs stopped on him, who still lay on the ground, she graciously bowed her head. “Pleased to make your acquaintance. I rush anywhere my customers desire. I’m from the Auto-Memories Dolls service, Violet Evergarden.”

By the time the soldiers came to their senses and pointed their guns at her, she was already holding onto her own weapon. The axe was larger than the average human height, but she lifted it with both hands as if it weighted nothing, like she was some sort of beast. The men shivered from distress.

“What the hell is this woman?! Okay, just kill her! Kill her!”

“Di… Die, die, die, dieee!”

Gunshots echoed together with the shouts, but the woman remained unharmed while readying her axe, which did not obtain a single bullet scratch.

“Here I go… Major.” After whispering lowly, the woman jumped over Aiden, aiming to slash the men. Although she looked petite and fragile, each of her footsteps reverberated stridently.

Since Aiden was in such a precarious state, it was difficult for him to twist his neck and look backwards, yet he yearned to see the fight to the point that he somehow managed to watch it from the corners of his eyes.

It seemed like the woman was dancing rondo, but in truth, she was merely swinging the axe towards the opponents by swirling widely. It was an exceedingly bizarre technique. She would protect herself from attacks by using the blade almost as a replacement for a shield, then grab onto the handle buried in the soil and lift it upright, spinning on her heels.

The men, who soon could not defend themselves from the offenses delivered by such a delicate body, surrendered and started screaming. Even though her movements appeared light, the outcome they had led to was the opposite. She mastered a variation of certain-kill classical martial arts that Aiden had never witnessed before. The guns were shattered by the tip of the axe’s handle as though they were as brittle as children’s toys. Just by also being hit with the handle on their shoulders, the men were brought to their knees.

“She’s… a monster!” one of them yelled, running away without being pursued.

The woman concentrated solely on attacking the men that confronted her in a machine-like manner. It was obvious she was accustomed with extreme battles; enough that the word “accustomed” itself was an understatement.

“This… damned woman! Die! Die!”

--------------------------------------------------------------
The woman swiftly continued to exchange blows with the men that shot blindly into the darkness, swinging the axe without hesitation and gradually coming closer to them while dodging the bullets. The instant one of them reached for a weapon in his pocket and charged at her stomach, she spun her slender legs broadly and kicked his face. None of her flowy moves were wasted as she kept landing consecutive swats.

The difference in power was overwhelming. Definitely, even should there have been more soldiers against her, the situation would not have changed. It was as if the woman’s strength resided unshakable within the axe that she held onto.

——Why… doesn’t she use the blade? Aiden thought puzzlingly.

With such a vicious axe, she could easily put an end to everything if she used its main force, but she did not do so. Settling for wielding it as a blunt weapon, she did not distribute any fatal hits.

The battle was short-lived. After beating everyone but Aiden, the woman returned to his side. Squatting, she peeked at his face. “I apologize for the wait.”

It was then that Aiden noticed how the one named Violet Evergarden had a face with reminiscing child-like features. Her well-developed beauty gave the impression of a mature adult woman, but her figure was also close to that of a girl.

——Isn’t she… about as old as me?

“Master…” Violet gasped profoundly upon taking a better look at Aiden’s whole body.

“Th… Thank you… for saving me. Hum… how… do you know me?”

As Aiden spoke with a trail of blood coming out of his mouth, Violet took a set of bandages from her bag and started wrapping them around his wounds. “Master, you called for me. You contacted the Auto-Memories Dolls service after seeing our advertisement, is that not right? The fee has most certainly been paid.”

>they didnt yet watch VEG episode in all available languages

youtube.com/watch?v=sXDR9uaURhk

Cant wait for Lux. Too bad it`ll take a while.

KyoAni did not risk this time unlike other shows where they had new VAs taking role. Every single one of VEG cast is a star.

Gilbert had planned to show off the girl’s fighting abilities to a small number of people in private. Aside from killing, her physical abilities alone were astounding enough. However, when the time to put it to practice came, it was turned into a ‘spectacle’ rather than training.

“Those assassination hedonists…”

Dark curtains blocked the windows of the training room and a heavy, dirty large rug laid on the floor. Ten death row prisoners had been put in position. Amongst them were some who had committed post women violence and robbery murder. The one supposed to fight them was the girl alone. It was as though they meant to say that, if Gilbert’s suggestions were true, defeating ten violent criminals would be easy. Gilbert himself, as well as the Bougainvillea house, were part of the faction that thought badly of such evil testing mechanisms.

——Should I request a cancelation? Gilbert contemplated in resentment. No, but…

There was no other way of raising her while keeping her near him. He was a soldier, she was a killer, and for the sake of being able to live together with him, she had to assert her own existence and earn a place to belong. What good would come of hesitating at that point, he asked himself. If he ever took her to the battlefield, she would not have to face only ten enemies. Thousands of soldiers were allowed to slaughter by using war as excuse. The one who needed to reaffirm his resolution, Gilbert thought, was not the girl, but himself, in order to become her ‘user’.

While reflecting on that, Gilbert realized that the cufflink of his sleeve was being pulled. “What’s the matter?”

The girl was looking at him. As she was expressionless, he could not tell what she was thinking. She appeared to be simply observing the attitude of her new master with her huge blue eyes. It could be that she was concerned about him.

After directing the girl and prisoners to opposing ends of the training ground, the referee said in a loud tone, “Now, commence.”

Enveloped in a hushed heat, the killing spree began.

The prisoners grinned while staring at the girl. None moved immediately in attempt to kill her. Their bodies had been freed after a long time. They probably thought it would be boring to end things so easily. Meanwhile, the girl was completely immobile, even as she was commanded to ‘kill’ by the supervisor. Like a figurine, she stood still while holding the axe.

“So it really was a lie? We’ve been made to attend to something so pathetic…” Some bantered without caring about Gilbert hearing it.

“There’s no way that child can win against adults. Just take it back already. Poor thing.” Some murmured on behalf of the girl.

“The Bougainvilleas sure have fallen. To think he’d try to attract attention with a farce…” At such a critical moment, some even spoke ill of the power retained by Gilbert’s family.

“What a waste of our time.” The surrounding soldiers talked raucously amongst each other.

“Hey, Gilbert.” Hodgins called out to him in apprehension, yet Gilbert remained quiet without outwardly displaying nervousness.

——Why won’t she move?

Gilbert observed the girl. She gripped the axe tightly. There was no way she had no will to attack.

——Back then, too, she was holding onto those weapons without hesitation. She also has no signs of being afraid. Some sort of cue is missing. But if that’s not the order, then, what is it?

While he reasoned, the biggest man of the group stepped out of line to charge at the girl, extensively swinging the baton and laughing. Although he was at a certain distance, the girl did not budge.

“Hey, Gilbert! She’ll be killed like that!”

With a twitch, the girl reacted to Hodgins’s scream-like voice, looking up at the bleachers. Her blue orbs found Gilbert’s green ones amidst the many other soldiers’.

“Gilbert, go stop them! Hey!”

Their gazes merged and, for a second, Gilbert had the feeling their heartbeats were also in sync. Thump, thump, thump. He could feel the disturbing sound of his own heart resonate in his ears.

For some reason, time was running sluggishly. Hodgins was too noisy on his side. The higher-ups cursed the girl with inappropriate words. He could hear them, yet it was as if they were in a slow-motion video.

In his eyes, the prisoner approached the girl in a languid pace. The space between them was closing. In that immediate mortal peril, she looked only at Gilbert. No matter how many times the referee gave the order, her eyes reflected no one but him.

——She staring at… her chosen one.

In response to that, Gilbert recited the magic word, “Kill.”

He spoke in a volume that only the few people around him would have been able to hear, yet it had definitely reached the girl. The sound of the axe cutting the wind as it twirled soon followed.

The wooden axe’s blade was of about fifteen centimeters in length. The lethal weapon was released from the girl’s hand, flying into the air. It was flung after being held aloft from behind, continuously rotating in beautiful arcs.

The girl’s throw had been much too casual. She went for the kill without wavering, moving extremely smoothly and having no doubts as of what to do to defend herself from the looming adversary.

“Ah…” a moronic yet pitiful yelp escaped the prisoner’s lips.

At the same time, the people in the audience gasped with jaws dropped.

“AAA-AH… AAAA-AAAH… AAAAAA-AH, AAH, AAAAAAH!”

The axe had landed into his forehead. Glittering blood ran down from the injury.

“AAAAAAAAAAAHH! UH… AH… AUUAAAAAAAAH, AAAAH, AAAAAAAAAAAAH—AAH… AH, AAAH… AH, AH, AH!”

Ishihara anime -> Leg service
Ishidate anime -> Lip service

Jesus Christ, this thing sucks.

And yet netflix is still retarded because you can't even watch it in the US, only in trash EU countries and canada for some reason.

>caring about Netflix
Bilibili is more important

Someone explain to me what happened right here. Why did she stop fighting?

because she had spear stuck in her by other soldie

The first episode was meh
Also, when does the yuri start?

Thanks, I needed my daily autism reminder.

You are welcome