Should I learn how Mahjong works before starting Ten...

Should I learn how Mahjong works before starting Ten? I read the first few chapters a while ago but I was completely lost as to what was actually going on.

Other urls found in this thread:

gamedesign.jp/flash/mahjong/mahjong_e.html
youtu.be/7IRbb7IuYzA
youtu.be/oVyHFLvbrL4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It wouldn't hurt.
Just recognize that mahjong matches in mahjong manga tend to have magically unrealistic outcomes.
So what you learn won't help in real life.

t/a/noshii mahjong resources

part 2

You won't be able to comprehend how keikaku Ten's keikakus are, especially later on where they push the rules of mahjong to the limits. It's hyper-exaggerated at times regarding the likelihood of the mahjong situations they're put in but that makes it fun.

quick guide for the impatient learner

Yeah Ten is named after this Ten Takashi dude on the cover but it is actually about the game mainly. The human characters are really vague. It's all about the dominoes, like 85% of the content, you can't really read that for the characters.

So basically I should at least learn the basics and accept that most of the stuff that happens is unlikely to happen in a real game of Mahjong? I've been wanting to read it for years but the lack of Mahjong knowledge has always put me off.

The main reason I've been wanting to read it is because I've been hearing for years that the last few volumes are absolutely amazing, would I need much Mahjong knowledge for that part at least?

>knowledge
like 6 really common winning conditions-yaku, like 6 slightly rare and like 10 more rare as hell + what is furiten, ron/tsumo, dora, dealer, east/south, what to do with draws, and how to call pon kan and chii.

Is there a good way to learn these? I've tried reading a list of Yaku but nothing ever sticks, the only online Mahjong I could find was against other people so I couldn't really learn from that.

Just grind this shit and you'll learn it eventually. If you get the "no multipliers", it means you don't have any yaku so plan your hands correctly (ie. for some yaku your hand needs to be closed, so no pon/chi/kan)

When it comes to high level concepts, the manga explains them for you so you don't need to worry about stuff like score calculations, just having a general sense of yaku values and probabilities is enough.

The ending has nothing to do with mahjong.

use the online flash game: (you vs. computer)
It's got a nice list of yaku on the front page.

Get a riichi mahjong for a phone. I got something with a silly name maujong! and it works great. The ones from /jp/ sticky are all with problems. Either don't auto-save or just don't have a localization (sasuga /jp/), or it's just hard too see shit

Nagomi is a nice mobage (user vs. PC).

>nlikely to happen in a real game of Mahjong
Ten is not Saki and FKMT is actually a pretty good player

I'll give this a try, so basically it's a good idea not to call someone's discard unless you already know how to play?

My phone is almost old enough to drink so that won't work, this flash game seems decent at least.

It doesn't hurt to call discards, it just lowers the point value.
You can win more cheap hands by calling pon/chi, but you won't many games without waiting for closed, high-value hands.
All part of learning mahjong strategy.

it's usually a fast vs value decision. Also opening your hand means you have less secure tiles in case of defense

>FKMT is actually a pretty good player
How did he do that lads?
youtu.be/7IRbb7IuYzA

magical hell sand

Think I understand now, looked down at the rules and it seems like most hands lose a point value based on whether you call tiles of not. If I'm understanding right all hands except Chi-Toi and Kokushi-Musou are 4 triples/sequences, and depending on the hand you might not be able to win if you call tiles?

Yeah they are good volumes but they are nice because it's a nice conclusion to what some characters and even some antagonists did throughout. All that stuff is guaranteed to feel forced if read out of context. Also you can have only one first impression.

That's why I've been put off reading if for so long, I watched Akagi probably over 10 years ago at this point and had barely any idea what was going on, but that made me interested in Ten whenever I saw a thread about it, I just never actually read it.

Did you watch/read Akagi prior to that? It's easier to get into.

I did, but as I said in it was probably over 10 years ago so I've forgotten basically everything I knew about Mahjong.

Absolute madman
youtu.be/oVyHFLvbrL4

Exactly. 4 triples/sequences and 1 pair = win.

You need to have at least one yaku (your hand needs to satisfy at least one of pic related's conditions) to be able to win. It looks like a huge list, but you can ignore most of the Yakuman section (those hands come up like 1/1000 times)

The reason you might not be able to win after calling tiles (=opening your hand) is because calling tiles makes you lose the yaku "Menzen Tsumo", which simply means "drawing your winning tiles with a closed hand", and the "Riichi" yaku (declaring riichi, which you can only do with a closed hand, is telling everyone else your hand is ready to win (=Tenpai) and locking it so you can't change it anymore).

Calling tiles can be pretty interesting though, when you want to complete other yaku, like Honitsu or Chinitsu. In the worst case you can always go for Tanyao, another very easy yaku (don't have any 1, 9, or honor tiles (dragons/winds) )

>read a tanoshii thread in some other board
>blabla mahjong
>guide to lesbian sex.pdf
>downloading, learning more about mahjong is fun
>mfw it's an actual guide to lesbian sex
I know being a lesbo correlates with your mahjong skill but it ends up being confusing if you mix terms all the time.

It's not mandatory but it might be a good idea to read the rest of Akagi before Ten. Not only because of mahjong, but the two stories are linked and some of Ten's messages are introduced in Akagi and the other way around. There's a lot of mahjong in those series but they're ultimately about life and death more than chinese dominoes.

Don't worry about the mahjong in the first volumes of Ten though, it's hard to follow even for someone who knows the rules. It gets easier and better written after vol 3-4

I've been reading wikipedia yaku list and the flash mahjong yaku list and think I understand the very basics, as in in order to win you need at least one yaku, whether it's from tanyao, a dragon or wind tile three of a kind or of another non-open yaku. The Yakuman seem insane though, only Kokushi Muosu, Daisangen and Suu Ankou seem plausable at all.

Pretty much. Tsuu Iisou can also happen once in a while if you've got a lot of dragons/winds in your hand, but those 4 yakuman are the only ones I've seen, ingame or in manga.

Players usually just aim for good easy hands like Pinfu + Tanyao + Riichi.

>over 10 years ago
Hey, do you know? the vampire battle in Akagi has concluded (during the last summer), time to read!

akagi is ending in like 2 issues

Can anything top Washizu mahjong?

>Monthly manga

mahjong guide Akagi style

Saki will keep dragging out the main manga and spewing off spinoffs and adaptations until it consumes the universe.

>mfw thinking about Ten

Read Akagi

Yay mahjong thread

>Saki: superpowered mahjong
>Akagi: fucking with your head by acting suicidal mahjong
>Ten: mahjong mahjong with cheating sometimes

Accurate?

pretty much; maybe add:
>Saki: superpowered mahjong with cute girls

I'm up to the early parts of the East/West battle now, I'm still not quite sure about how good all these ands people are getting are but it's him's pretty good so far.

Just refer to the yaku list if you wanna count the number of han If you want a better idea, 1 han is a shit hand (1000 points), 4-5 han is good, slightly hard to get (Mangan, 8000 points), 6-7 is really good (Haneman, 12 000), 8-10 is great (Baiman, 16 000), 11-12 is a monster (Sanbaiman, 24 000) and 13+ almost never happens (Yakuman, 32 000)

Mangan is usually the way to go, not too hard to get and not too cheap.

I'm up to the Ten vs Ginji match in the manga and still feeling confused, really feel like I should learn a lot before I should be reading this part.

IIRC Ginji was cheating by marking tiles like Ten did early on, but I don't remember the specifics.
You should try playing the computer if you feel like it, it's pretty fun gamedesign.jp/flash/mahjong/mahjong_e.html

He'd marked his tiles, just that he only marked just enough to get a definite advantage without raising suspicion, and that his markings were in various scripts that most nips wouldn't be aware of.

He'd marked his tiles, just that he only marked just enough to get a definite advantage without raising suspicion, and that his markings were in various scripts that most nips wouldn't be aware of.

scoring reference

No one learns this