Was Bakuman an accurate portrayal of the Manga industry?

Was Bakuman an accurate portrayal of the Manga industry?

It was absolute dogshit, so yes.

All that drama for the sake of drama with very little of actual mangaka work shown make me think it's a romanticised/shonenified version and thus hardly accurate.

In terms of workings and hierarchy of Shueisha - yes.
In terms of mangaka's life - probably not.

My character is a mangaka prodigy with a hot-selling series, yet I act like a fucking retard in my work and spare time.

KYOOOOO!! GHAAAAA!!! SQUAWKK!!

*makes weird bird and plane noises*

Literally Oda.

>My character is a mangaka prodigy with a hot-selling series, yet I act like a fucking retard in my work and spare time.
Not surprising, most mangaka and creative types are massive autists

It also has pretty weird views on women.

Are we supposed to agree with him?

>Its smart to go with the flow
For people who want to get into a uncertain career like making comics instead of being another salaryman, this is a weird speech

Thank you a lot, I was afraid of being the only person to notice that.

"someone who frantically asks and takes alot of notes and get low grades would be pretty dumb right"

Would you expect anything else from people that made Death note?

Watch Aoi Honoo instead

this is true tho

>She's the smartest girl in class grade-wise, but I don't like how she takes pride in that. That's why I actually think she's dumb.

This is great. It actually made me laugh out loud. I can barely remember Bakuman at all though, maybe it's time to read it again.

They do have some generally weird ideas about humanity in general. I was always bothered by how the story sort of takes it for granted that anyone who isn't physically attractive must be utter scumbag by default. I'd chuck it to a sort of basics of visual designs stemming all the way back from fairy tales when evil characters would always be depicted as fat and unpleasant, but it takes a reverse route in Bakuman: everyone who is normal-looking acts as a dick at first but then revealed to be a great person you can always rely on; and everyone who is fat first appears as perfectly normal, and then is revealed to be either complete asshole, or in case of Miura - an incompetent idiot. That strikes me as more of Ohba and Obata's personal viewpoint than character design.

none of the fags here work there, don't ask here

What are the chances that authors are unmarried?

That's not really weird in context. Women making sure they are never smarter than their husband/male friends is a normal thing in Japan.

He's not an /r9k/ wannabe saying that women are inherently dumb. He's just saying that despite her apparent intelligence, the girl in question is "socially retarded" since she's simply not aware of the fact she's digging her own grave in the society.

I always think girl playing dumb is just a way to make her partner feels better.

But it's not like the story is about complete normalfags and following rules of society. It's supposed to be an inspirational story about guys who are prepared to go to any length to reach their dreams as creative artists, yet at the same time it says that this is something reserved only for men, and for women it would be stupid to have dreams and ambitions, as they naturally should only aspire to marriage.

>, yet at the same time it says that this is something reserved only for men,

Well, it's a shounen series, after all. Girl are mainly there as object who you'd like to date/marry.

Yeah. Whoever wrote the manga said so himself. He says they are smart, just that being smart and showing it off is not really a smart decision all things considered.
That one Swedish manga also touched upon the issue. Girls act normal when it's between girls. The moment one of them brings a guy over for whatever reason, they all instantly revert to acting more dumb, cutesy and all that stuff.

It makes sense if you believe that being a mangaka is the pinnacle of human achievement, and all other ways of life are inferior.

this is 100% true

That 2 faces act is the reason why I despise 3DPD.

Not in the context of the story. The "dream" is a dream of becoming a succesful Mangaka. In real life, plenty of women aspire to be that, and in this very Manga as well. Then again, this Manga seems to treat female Mangaka as intruders in "man's world".

They're japs, women have a subservient role in their society.
It's true that too intelligent women scare off men too.

>Then again, this Manga seems to treat female Mangaka as intruders in "man's world".
Well, it kinda does apply to shonen genre. Most female mangaka make either shojo or seinen stuff.

>Men who take pride in their accomplishments: good
>Women who take pride in their accomplishments: bad

S1>S3>S2

>so you study real hard and become the smartest in class, and you take pride in that
>you're just a fucking idiot hahaha retard

10/10 masterpiece

I made the mistake of thinking this would be like Shirobako. Didn't realize such a big part of the story would be taken up by a shitty romance with a bland non-character.

I'm not sure if it's Ohba's shitty writing or something dictated by the story's genre, but most of the time Takagi is shown supposedly saying something 'smart' it's either really inane or a truism of some sort. In general Mashiro and Takagi are not very likeable once they become professional mangaka.

yes