Actage or Act-age Chapter 1 Raw

New WSJ manga. The art is pretty.

Too bad the story is boring.

I liked it. It reminded me of Glass Mask and MC is cute and likable.

Beard-kun is mine.

See, this is very Glass Mask. New actresses are asked to act "sorrow" so they all do it very normally and cliched. Genius director feels bored at them and calls them robot. Then he looks at MC looked totally off but her acting feels more genuine than the rest and he is surprised by her.

>Male lead looks like a dirty hobo
Off to a great start

I told you, he's mine.

the girl is cute, why is she always crying?

>Onee-chan is insane and scares me.
Glass Mask reference.

This is my first time dumping a first chapter, now I have some regrets piling up.

Because she gets too deep into her acting and is obsessed with movies.

Are you some kind of Glass Mask expert? Not that I mind, I never had the chance to try the anime or the manga. Is the manga still ongoing?

Backgrounds suck, but character designs are good. Hopefully they fix the background issue since I'd like to see more of this story

Assistants will save the day if the artist wants them, what if

the artist does not want detailed backgrounds?

Yes, but it just came out of a 6 years hiatus.

Are the chapters monthly?

Yes, on Hana to Yume.

That's what I'm hoping. I wouldn't even mind if the majority of the backgrounds stayed on the simplistic side, but more of the panels should have more ornate backgrounds. Hopefully they'll get an assistant soon

Wow so it runs in one of the best shoujo magazines. I feel bad for never checking it out.

You would think WSJ have an abundance of assistants for their authors.

Jump doesn't give assistants away, the authors employ them themselves.
The author is supposedly very young. Probably doesn't have money for assistants.

Sounds more like a a shoujo going by your description

Really? I remember in Bakuman that they did provide assistants.

Glass Mask is a shoujo and it's basically the most iconic and standard manga about acting. Glass Mask references have been seen plenty of times in anime and manga of all kinds.

Didn't the mangaka form a cult?

Editors have the connections, so they can hire you the assistants. The question is if you can pay them.

Really? What the fuck.

I'm not sure how assistants are awarded or hired, but the only works I could find for the author and artist were Act-Age, so they're either both brand new or have some more obscure series. Looks like this one is going to have quite a difficult road ahead of it if it wants to survive.

Yeah, this is definitely similar to Glass Mask in that Yonagi, the main character, is portrayed as being slightly insane. Her attachment to acting and movies seems unhealthy and she wakes up in the middle of the night to act out lines from her favorite movies in front of TV, which her little sister comments on since they live all together on an small house because their mother died and their father abandoned them. Both her little sister and the actor from the movie she is auditioning for comment about how she seems "scary".

The artist is 19 or something and I think the writer is a one-shot writer winner.

They're brand new. I mean, the artist is fucking 19. (She turns 20 this year, but still.)

Ah, I didn't realize both of them were new. Usually there's at least one person with more experience when you see separate authors and artists. Hopefully this won't do as poorly as Poro did last year.

> I'm not sure how assistants are awarded or hired
Shueisha's got a pretty deep bench. Even flops like Takuan to Batsu had 5 assistants assigned to it.

It's not hard to overtake Poro since that was terrible.

Why do I eat up anything with anyone taking care of tiny humans?

This is pure Glass Mask. Basically, for the final audition the actresses were simply told: "A wolf is right in front of you. Act it out." It was a test from the smug older woman that's the CEO of the company. So the other actresses are confused and don't know exactly what they want from them. They simply act generic confused. MC, however, acts out an entire scenario and through her expressions and movements makes everyone genuinely believe she is in front of a real wolf. The depiction of the scene is how Glass Mask would have done it. The other characters basically start "seeing" the wolf and the forest right behind her and get involved in her story, in which she is fighting the wolf to protect her siblings.

Well hopefully they'll throw an assistant or two their way to help give these newbies a fighting chance
Poro wasn't great, but it was also done by a new author. However, U19 was the biggest flop of the last big serialization round. Its first volume sold less than half of what Spring Weapon sells. Poro at least matched SW No.1

Looks like I fucked up my numbering here, or I skipped a page which I hope is not the case.

And of course, just like in Glass Mask, people more in the know consider MC "dangerous". In Glass Mask they called her "scary person", here they just say she is "kiken"/"dangerous" because she drags all the attention to herself.

As much as I like the art I really don't see this not getting axed.

And that's it.

This looks nice but I don't think it's going to survive on Jump.

Probably. I don't think it's bad, but it's best hope is becoming the next Dancing Midgets. Otherwise, it's way more likely that it will turn into the next Shudan.

Why do you think that?

There aren't any real holes to fill atm. Premise also feels pretty non-standard as well. I'm intrigued, but Jump is pretty ruthless.

>ages and info on random background characters we will most likely never see again
is this Food Wars?

It feels really girly. It has a female lead. The theme of movies and actresses might not be as appealing to Jump readers as "making manga" or even "making food". The art is cute but the girl lacks sex appeal; I mean, we see her naked and it feels completely pure.

I think Kei (MC) is pretty appealing and likable and that the first chapter was good in that it properly represented her appeal and personality, but I wonder about the general readership of Jump. Then again, I read the same sentiment a few times. In both the Jump Survival thread in 5ch and in Japanese social media, I read people saying "it's pretty omoshiroi but I wonder if the usual people reading Jump will accept it". Maybe if everyone with the same idea vote for it it will survive.

I just hope it stays grounded in reality. A girl wanting to be an actress and having to deal with the actual shittiness that entails is very un-Jump.

This feels like it would fit better in a shoujo magazine or even a web manga site like Comic POOL/Gangan Online/Jump Plus.

I think that the tone will be more Bakuman than Soma.

It would work in WSM too.
Also, posting colour pages, because OP didn't.

Girl's design gave me suspense vibes, so my brain went to horror and stuff. I just want this to be realistic when she fails auditions and doesn't get parts.

That's all.

Her ahoge is very unfitting and it's too long anyways

It ruins her design

They're trying to be popular via association with Emma from YnN.

whats an ahoge

cowlick

holy shit it's Togata