Shonen Jump 1983 - 1988

1968 - 1973 1973 - 1978 1978 - 1983 Are you anons ready for the age of MANLINESS?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ks3WAHefLDk
youtube.com/watch?v=Q4_mrdCI6Rw
youtube.com/watch?v=LTOZhZSr6RY
youtube.com/watch?v=X7kZVH849Eo
youtube.com/watch?v=Wyj68m_nNxY
youtube.com/watch?v=1XQ98LGqULI
youtube.com/watch?v=S6Xn3q5mjAU
youtube.com/watch?v=1gftUBdwcmc
youtube.com/watch?v=Qx4tM7z3bhs
youtube.com/watch?v=9sDu4erWYAg
youtube.com/watch?v=buQ5WwyrlFo
youtube.com/watch?v=PGueD2GwS2I
youtu.be/wIh85_bCudk?t=526
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Famicom_Jump:_Hero_Retsuden
youtube.com/watch?v=l-NidcMz_xk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

HOKUTO NO KEN

>The MAN manga
>By Buronson and Tetsuo Hara
>Plot: Apocalyptic world, Kenshiro's journey to save weak and innocent people against evil guys thanks to his powerful martial arts
>This was Shonen Jump answer against romantic shonen boom
>Influence from Ring ni Kakero and Cobra, that action was made more violent
>At the time it was a VERY big hit. Had Dragon Ball not appeared, this could have well become Shonen Jump most iconic manga

youtube.com/watch?v=Ks3WAHefLDk

Yes I'm ready. I'm all about that BARA

GINGA: NAGABEROSHI GIN
>Who said only human beings could be MEN?
>Plot: journey of a based and manly dog for survival
>Tons of action and special moves

youtube.com/watch?v=Q4_mrdCI6Rw

Holy fuck both of these are fucking amazing. Legendary start so far.

KIMAGURE ORANGE ROAD

>Plot: love triangle between an esper new in town, a female delinquent, and a younger girl
>By Izumi Matsumoto
>It wasn't first Jump shonen romance (Hibari-kun, Wingman), but it was THE shonen romance, the one which established the bases for following ones

youtube.com/watch?v=LTOZhZSr6RY

DRAGON BALL

>The KING of Shonen is here at last, anons!
>Plot: orphan guy meets city girl and go search 7 balls for get a wish. Then martial arts tournament, then saiyans, then epic fights against aliens and androids
>The most popular shonen in the entire planet Earth
>Just started 3 months after Dr.Slump ended
>Until Naruto, Bleach, One Piece etc came, this was the longest, or one of the longest shonen ever with 42 volumes
>Second manga after Ring ni Kakero to get final chapter in color
>Until now, everything happened in real world (except Cobra and I think Muscleman). Then Hokuto no Ken apolyptic world came. Then Dragon Ball created a complete imaginary and fantastic world/universe

youtube.com/watch?v=X7kZVH849Eo

>>This was Shonen Jump answer against romantic shonen boom
I didn't know that. I thought Kimagure Orange was their answer to Touch's success.

CITY HUNTER

>By Tsukasa Hojo, came some months after Cat's Eye ended
>Plot: Ryo Saeba, Tokyo detective and hitman, womanizer
>Influences from Doberman Deka
>35 volumes

youtube.com/watch?v=Wyj68m_nNxY

OP here. Before continuing, wanted to add something important I forgot:

Until now, almost all action titles happened in sports series (Ring ni Kakero, Kinnikuman, Captain Tsubasa, etc), wish some exceptions (Otoko Ippiki, Doberman Deka, Isamu)

Hokuto no Ken (then Dragon Ball and City Hunter later) swept took the shonen action away from sports (still there are going to be more sport manga) to take it to fantasy worlds with action and fights (what we have seen these last years with One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, Hero Academia, Black Clover, etc)

That's way too important, anons (I could say Muscleman did somehow earlier but it was still in the bounds of wrestling sport)

Kinnikuman started out as a superhero story before switching its genre to pseudo-wrestling.

TSUIDE NIN TONCHINKAN

>Gag manga after Dr.Slump ended
>Plot: thieves groups doing silly stuff

youtube.com/watch?v=1XQ98LGqULI

>tfw you still haven't read the previous three threads

>Black Clover
Please don't list irrelevant shit.

Kinnikuman started as gag superhero story, then switched its genre to pseudo-wrestling

>At the time it was a VERY big hit. Had Dragon Ball not appeared, this could have well become Shonen Jump most iconic manga
To be fair, it's still at least in the top 10. Maybe even top 5.

SAKIGAKE!! OTOKOJUKU

>More MANLINESS
>Plot: school where delinquent come to learn to be decent citizen...by surviving
>Created as parody of Hokuto no Ken, it became as MANLY as Hokuto no Ken

youtube.com/watch?v=S6Xn3q5mjAU

Hikaru best girl

SAINT SEIYA

>Kurumada most known title
>Plot: Seiya, a knight (Bronze Saint) who protects godness Athena together with other Saints
>GIVE ME YOUR STRENGTH, PEGASUS
>After failing with Otoko Zaka (manga he did for himself as a tribute to Otoko Ippiki), Kurumada decided to create a manga for people this time. He succeded.
>Dragon Ball turned into Dragon Ball Z (aka from adventures and humor with action to full action with flash fights) because Saint Seiya influence

youtube.com/watch?v=1gftUBdwcmc

>These are 15-17 years old.
Also,is it true that some of these difference between physical and actual age was due some kind law against violence by minors?

Forgot to add volume 1 cover

This guy is planning to be Ryo Saeba, or rather "Nicky Larson", in a french live adaptation

JOJO'S BIZARRE ADVENTURE

>More MANLINESS
>Plot: Did you think it was the story of the Joestar family throught generations? IT WAS ABOUT ME, DIO
>5 Parts in Shonen Jump, then Part 6 in Jump too
>Jotaro is the most known and popular of all them

youtube.com/watch?v=Qx4tM7z3bhs

Wingman is fucking amazing and I'm pretty sure it IS scanlated, at least partially. Check it out if you haven't.

MOERU ONII-SAN

>Plot: little boy gets separated from his parents and raised by martial arts hermit. He finds his parents and come back home without knowing anything about civilized world. Hilarity issues
>Reemplaced Kimengumi

youtube.com/watch?v=9sDu4erWYAg

HOT BLOOD

>tfw bleach was not featured in the broader decade category 2000 era but only as a small mention
Holy fuck, shuiesha really does hate kubo.

BASTARD!!!

>Plot: Apocalyptic world, fight for power and ruling the world
>So violent it made Hokuto no Ken look innocent and pure
>Tons of violence and sexual content, it was ''banned'' aka one chapter each 3 months I think

youtube.com/watch?v=buQ5WwyrlFo

Mega Hit
Huge hit
Huge Hit
Mega Hit
Mega Hit
Huge Hit
Mega Hit
Mega Hit
Mega Hit

Huge Hit = At least 20 Million copies sold
Mega Hit = At least 30 million copies sold, going all the way to hundreds of millions

Holy shit, what an insane 5 year time span.

Man, I want to try and read this one.

The sad thing is that Shueisha/WSJ are the best to work with.
I mean just look at Kadokawa

oh the dog manga. I remember eyepatchwolf mention this in a video once.

That's all for now. Honorable mentions to The Momotaroh (wrestling manga), and Kenritsu Umisora Koko Yakyuu Buin Yamashita Taro-kun (baseball manga).

This age was HUGE. Hokuto no Ken + Dragon Ball made Kurumada to fail with Otoko Zaka, made Hirohiko Akari fail with BAOH

This is the age where action goes from sport manga to pure action manga (with Dragon Ball creating the first great fantasy world/universe)

The anime and the manga are both amazing. Like legit, one of the most awesome things I've come across.

This has single handely made a huge portion of people (female mostly I think) brain dead who do not do anything else in their life but draw wolves and dogs.

This is one of the most popular anime series in Norway. I think we're one of the few countries in the world to get the entire anime on DVD.

Its a shame what happened with Bastard. The art in the later volumes was just stunning

As always, I post the lineup of moment

>Dragon Ball
>Hokuto no Ken
>Ginga: Nagaberoshi Gin/JoJo (they were together only like 6 weeks)
>City Hunter
>Saint Seiya
>Kimagure Orange Road
>Captain Tsubasa
>The long named baseball manga
>Yoroshiru Mechadoc/Sakigake!! Otokojuku
>Kinnikuman
>Kochikame
>Highschool Kimengumi/Moeru Onii-san
>Shape Up Ran/Tsuide ni Tonchinkan

I tried reading this but I got board of it when the the first second and third years entered the tournament to find the guy who betrayed Japan. Too many characters and not enough variety in personality and fights. Tsurugi and akagi are based tho.Best arc was 1st years vs 3rd years in the lightning needle mountain, it even got into J-stars

What the fuck are these threads supposed to be?

Reminder that in golden five years of madness, there was still Kinnikuman (ended in 1987) and Captain Tsubasa (ended in 1988). Plus Kochikame

I want to read the manga but im put off by the duwang-tier quality

Hagiwara truly puts Togashi into shame when it comes to lazyness

>make a manga in WSJ
>it becomes an instant hit
>get rich
>fuck off and live off of royalties for the rest of your life
I'm surprised more authors don't do this. Did he stop this for no reason or health issues?

It was Hokuto no Ken. Purposely planned by Jump editor in these years, what a madman

Gave us this gem
youtube.com/watch?v=PGueD2GwS2I

I love this madman.

Should read City Hunter. I see it is currently being scanlated by a group and I liked the chapters I've read

OP here. All these years are pure and original Dragon Ball. The Z stuff didn't come until 1989-1990 if I recall. Also, Hokuto no Ken and Saint Seiya influenced it into becoming a pure action manga and losing almost all its adventure touch

Holy fuck this was hilarious for a lot of reasons. I keep on postponing reading this.

I think the City Hunter anime is pretty fantastic. It was made by Sunrise so it doesn't have shit tier Toei animation.

Finally, we've had Kurumada in 3 consecutive threads (Ring ni Kakero in 73-78, Fuma no Kojiro in 78-83, now Saint Seiya here).

We won't see him anymore. By the way, didn't knew about B'tX

>Also, Hokuto no Ken and Saint Seiya influenced it into becoming a pure action manga and losing almost all its adventure touch
Go be stupid somewhere else

He was sick and he got a kid. Also he apparently lost a shitton of work during a storm, which demotivated him since he had to re-write a lot of it. That's why there's a sudden time-skip in vol 19.

So everything went wrong.

>DBZfag detected

I've also read in some interviews long time ago about how fights became more ora ora ora ora after Saint Seiya

Let's classify titles of this age for MANLINESS

TOO MANLY
>Hokuto no Ken
>Sakigake!! Otokojuku
>JoJo
>Moeru Onii-san

MANLY
>Kinnikuman
>Dragon Ball
>City Hunter
>Kochikame somehow

BISHONEN
>Saint Seiya
>Captain Tsubasa

You Bastard where's Bastard!!?

Dragon ball wasn't manly til Z tho

It's not the greatest, it gets boring after a while, but it's early to middle arcs were the best. The same problem as most shonen jump titles like bleach, reborn, and medaka box

What wild times these were

>remake never
>second part of the manga in anime never
Why live?

"manly" is not even enough to describe the DS

COOLLL

>romantic shonen boom
What does that mean? answer to romance comedies?

Shonen Magazine published first romance shonen in 1978 (Tonda Couple). Shonen Sunday answered with Usurei Yatsura and Touch which were succesful.

Jump was conscious of romance shonen success in their rivals and its answer was...Hokuto no Ken. Purposely. Still, they released Kimagure Orange Road after, but they went full macho in 80s because shonen romances in rivals

Is Tonda Couple scanlated?

Remember when Ring ni Kakero world cup of boxing final was Japan vs Greece?

Some years later, Saint Seiya happened

So anons, now that we are finally in Dragon Ball age, what was the key of its success? How did this manga manage to become the most iconic shonen of existence?

It was fun.

Kino OP.

That show had such weird OPs and EDs. Was the joke that they were completely unfitting to the show's style or something?

youtu.be/wIh85_bCudk?t=526

This video sums it up nice.

Just in 1988 Jump had its first crossover videogame en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Famicom_Jump:_Hero_Retsuden

I've played this, it's pretty cool. It''s also really telling that the first world in the game is Hokuto no Ken-land and that Kenshiro is the most powerful hero available there.

>JoJo's ripoff
Meh

First big romantic story we had in Spain

Remember when hamon was a thing, anons?

Based

>The MAN manga
>not the MANga

>Just started 3 months after Dr.Slump ended
Holy motherfucking shit, i wasn't aware of that.

Oh my god, I still have to watch this anime sometime.

Buronson and Hara confirmed for bros

In the beginning, Dragon Ball was similar to Dr.Slump. Adventure manga with dirty humor gags and some fights which were too based in humor and jokes.

Is amusing how it turned into a show totally based in fighting and power levels

Dragon Ball became popular for the same reason the other series running in Jump at the time became popular. The manga was good. That's all there is to it. Toriyama had experience with making likable characters through Dr. Slump, but his paneling was also amazing. Toriyama excelled at depicting action sequences and fights without having to compromise the art style. It was the perfect compliment to Hokuto, Seiya, Weed and many other legendary battle series at the time. They all appealed to different crowds instead of aiming for one group.

Still, Dragon Ball became the biggest shonen ever. Even One Piece still can't top Dragon Ball's popularity

youtube.com/watch?v=l-NidcMz_xk

So what's the deal with Kochikame? how did it manage to survive that fucking long?

Casually sold 157 million copies.

I meant popularity. Dunno about Japan, but worldwide Dragon Ball is the most important manga ever by far. In freaking 2018 Dragon Ball remains he most popular anime/manga in Spain.

Also, for sake of comparison, if we compare numbers, One Piece has less than double million sales than Dragon Ball having more than double volumes

>nearly double the number of volumes
>nearly double the number of sales
OP is bigger in terms of manga sales because it has more volume releases. If DB had ~88 volumes, it wouldn't be too far off from OP. Both series are fucking massive, and that's all that needs to be said. Can't wait to get to the post-DB and pre-OP era. That'll be the most interesting topic of the WSJ threads.

The mangaka was consistent. Other guys may have had weak points or taken time off, but Akimoto never did. Having a series like that in your magazine was a nice bonus.

OP is much bigger in Japan and that's what matters. Wake up. OP>DB

That's irrelevant to this conversation, One Piece hasn't surpassed DragonBall internationally and since it failed to stick and is already so advanced on it's run it's likely that it never will.

DB fags are the worst. It's irrelevant because it is inconvenient to you.

What's your opinion of Hokuto no Ken, anons?

M A N L Y

This one is totally amazing, for a dog cast, this is different and refreshing.