Is it still worth giving Ashita no Joe a try even though I already know the famous ending already...

Is it still worth giving Ashita no Joe a try even though I already know the famous ending already? And should I read it or watch it?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/RetroAnimeOP/status/893636564244451328
youtube.com/watch?v=rzHrhXpDbso
youtube.com/watch?v=_b2zzxY24q4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>already already
Shit, sorry.

Absolutely, Joe is one of the best characters in anime.
Don't worry about the ending, the best part is the character development. So go read it faggot.

Thanks user. It's been on my mind for some time but I was afraid it'd put me off it. I suppose it really is more about the journey itself.

Also I saw this ED by chance and he looks damn cute at the end. twitter.com/RetroAnimeOP/status/893636564244451328

Keep in mind that the ending is only one of the multiple "twists". Enough interesting events you don't know about yet. Even if there weren't it's mostly about the development of Joe as said.

Also, Joe starts as a unlikeable cheeky cunt, but then he changes

doesnt matter, I could spoil you every fight and plot point but it wont diminish your enjoyment by much.

Joe is simply that good of a character, you dont even realize when but the more he fights the better of a person he becomes, until suddenly you realize how that cheeky cunt that only cares about himself turned into one of the most empathetic characters in fiction

I will always find funny that Danpei acted more like a mother and Yoko as a father to Joe

It's okay. You should do it.

Watch or read????

for me read, the art is god tier, especially on later chapters.

Missing out on that great OST when reading though.
The only correct approach is doing both.

>that brush style

Did Umakoshi draw that?

OP here, I'll definitely read it then. I was thinking more if there were any story changes or nuances. I was already leaning a little bit more towards the manga though.

Perhaps I'll read while listening to the OST?

I think you should do both, since I am sure you are going to want to reexperience it at least once.

Manga has
>good art
>very good paneling
>slightly less characterization for Joe i felt like, not in the plot sense but the stills are not as strong and emotional as in the anime

>anime
>great OST
>first season is very well directed
>pacing is a bit slower (take that as you will)
>voices fit well
>the stills look amazing
>atmosphere is built easier than the manga
>plot is a but more convoluted and not as straight forward (in a bad way imo)
>s2 has extremely weird sound directing (OST still great tho)
>s2 fights look better but are directed worse (the Rivera fight in S1 was miles better than S2)

Joes just a fucking dick from start to end

He's just so irredemable in the beginning that only being a modest dick at the end seems like leaps and bounds.

He's an idiot, but you spend so much time with him that you can't help but feel sad. But he is not a good character

Spoil me user

>Only likeable characters can be well written
How old are you? Joe is a very complex character that actually develops based on the stuff that happens around him.

Danpei or Kamogawa Genji?

Joe or Ippo?

Considering it's objectively the greatest sports related anime of all time, I say yes. Joe's story is too beautiful to ignore.

>Also, Joe starts as a unlikeable cheeky cunt, but then he changes
You shouldn't simplify it like. What makes him such a great character is the fact he is redeemable and does a bunch of bad shit. Even after 30 episodes and you think he's starting to change, he reminds you he's the same piece of shit. He gradually becomes a good person over time but it's very subtle. The character development is exquisite.

Read it because it's one of the best manga ever, you fucking pleb.

You've won this, user. Wear it with pride.

You're not meant to see him as a hero. He has deep personality flaws and willingly embarks on a path of self-destruction, the point is simply being able to understand his psyche and empathize with him, not approve of his actions.

Why can't Ippo be as good as Joe? It just feels like a battle shounen but it's boxing. It lacks heart and replaces it with some cool fights and typical formulaic underdog storytelling.

Joe dies

Can you guys remind me how the anime works? The first cour of S2 reanimates the last of S1 or something like that so you can skip the latter, right?

heart is also cheesy and formulaic you just lap that shit up.

>so you can skip the latter, right?
Don't fucking do something stupid like that. Watch all of season one and then watch S2. it sort of remakes it but there's enough that's different that it doesn't hurt checking out both versions.

>It just feels like a battle shounen but it's boxing
That's because that's exactly what it is.

I'm only gonna watch the anime and not OP but give it to me straight, is the anime a slideshow since i know it's old?

You can switch to season two after watching episode 54. Flawless transition. It just readapts the rest of season 1 in a much better way.

>is the anime a slideshow since i know it's old?
No and old anime are not typically slideshows anyway.
No. Watch all 79 episodes.

Danpei and Ippo. Ippo would have gotten far if Kamogawa didn't abandon the fundamentals of boxing for his nippon banzai bullshit, but Danpei would make sure Ippo never abandons the basics of boxing and would have taught Ippo about counter punching as Ippo did show interest in it. Meanwhile, Joe has a rebellious streak and wouldn't listen to Danpei whereas Ippo would follow Danpei without question. Not to mention that Ippo is more of a superhuman than Joe.

tl;dr Danpei is a better teacher, and Ippo is a better student. As characters, I'd take Joe over Ippo as Ippo's character always resets whenever he sees a hint of growth.

Is it wrong that I felt like Joe 2 got too lost in the on-model animation and lost a lot of its edge, its wild spirit? The crazy backgrounds, etc are almost nonexistent in Joe 2, and it seems to mostly play it safe with realistic animation instead of get really creative like the original.

>Those last 3 panels on the right
Jesus, what is it? Why does it make my heartache? I mean, I have Joe as my phone's wallpaper, I see him everyday and yet, these panels provoke such bittersweet feelings, such sorrow in me...
There are postcard memos, but they only accentuate the events they're shown in.
To be fair, this is also true.

Just read the manga. It's a masterpiece.

Homo

>Danpei is a good coach
Nah man, he's kinda shitty. Only teaches Joe the basics and ultimately it feels like most of Joe's progress is due to Joe himself, disregarding that all of his signature moves like the cross counters and shit eventually end up making him irreversibly broken.

Do you guys think Kamogawa would let Ippo box if he figured out that Ippo is psychologically unable to punch people in the head?

dude, i knwo all the deaths, yet im currently watching it and it´s in my personal top10 so far. dont watch it because some annoying elititsts tells you its the best of the best. watch it because its one of the manleist story ever that manages to be at the same time really heartwarming.

>Watch all 79 episodes
As someone who watched all 79 episodes I'd say don't do that, go straight to season 2 after episode 54. The pacing past episode 54 in season 1 gets crazy slow and is only good for putting you to sleep.

shit taste. If you're going that far to watch 54 episodes of a series, then finish it. It's retarded to skip the rest of it because the second season sort of retells it. Those last few dozen episodes are good.

Hey dumb faggot no ones gonna give you a medal for finishing something completely unnecessary. It's retarded not to skip past episode 54 specifically because the second season retells it minus all that filler bullshit. Although I will agree that the last dozen or so episodes were good.

Traveling boxer arc was boring as shit and if you enjoyed it along with all the other filler shit then you are the one with shit test.

Not only funny but legitimately interesting.

>But he is not a good character
>Having flaws meand it's a bad character
Are you the same faggot who was criticizing the cake teacher from LWA for being an actual flawed character?

>when he pushes Danpei down the stairs
Fucken hell joe.

>Flaws
Being an asshole is a trait not a flaw. He's just not a likable guy. I wouldn't like him in real life and I wouldn't like him in fantasy either

This is why you don't have friends.

The thing is that being likeable or not is not an obligatory requisite to be a good character or not

Whay are you faggots not talking about the weirs ass spin-off about Yoko holding a weird ass experimental robot boxing tournament with a fluffy stupid MC falling right into it?

youtube.com/watch?v=rzHrhXpDbso

It looks cool but I just don't get the mechanical arm thing. It seems too gimmicky and shouldn't be in Joe's universe. What are they even for. I would be much more excited if it didn't exist. I also think it should take place before Joe story "ended" and we follow this new kid's story and his perspective during the time.

I didn't know an actual preview was out. I wonder if it really is just piggybacking off of Joe's name for popularity or if there'll turn out to be more to it.

Either all of you are fucking retarded and have no idea what an "homage" or "a spiritual sequel" is or I just didn't get a memo about this anime. What the fuck do you mean it takes a place in AnJ's universe? It's a fucking story inspired by the original, nothing more nothing less.

I think you are misunderstanding him since he's talking about Joe being bad as a person, instead of being a bad character.

The lack of information about the project doesn't make anyone retarded. Perhaps if they were to give us actual info, we'd be able to judge it accordingly.

>He's an idiot, but you spend so much time with him that you can't help but feel sad. But he is not a good character
Either he doesn't know how to explain himself or just simply means what he means, but I didn't misunderstood him, user.

It's an homage, that's why the lady looks like Yoko and is filthy fucking rich, why the young not-Joe cunt looks just like Joe and will probably have some sort of a slum association, and why that one guy looks just like a modernized version of Rikiishi. His face is exactly the same in one shot.

The mechanical arm shit I have no idea about, not sure if I like it either. Maybe they wanted to give the story a futuristic element to help differentiate it from AnJ given how much it already borrows.

I was left to believe that lady was Yoko. Were we told that she is not?

Don't you think that would be a bit retarded?

No. I think it would be retarded to have a Joe 50th anniversary project with no actual Joe characters in it.

Danpei's not a great coach, but he's a good father figure, generally. Danpei works hard labor every day early on just to keep things going for Joe.

Taking an established character from AnJ, a story entirely by Tetsuya, and having her be in some completely unrelated story by some other people featuring characters which seem to fill roles almost exactly the same as AnJ, does not seem retarded to you.

Also, Yoko is still relatively young in spite of the original taking place anywhere between 1950s and 1970s, and also she's now involved in making people fight with mechanical piston arms. It's a fucking homage, not something that takes place in the same universe.

>Also, Yoko is still relatively young in spite of the original taking place anywhere between 1950s and 1970s, and also she's now involved in making people fight with mechanical piston arms. It's a fucking homage,
It's not far fecthed for it to be an AU too, though. But it's definitely a homage, as you say.

But yeah, for a 50th anniversary, one would at least expect something at least directly related to AnJ to be in the works. I mean, for the three big Go Nagai franchises anniversary(Devilman, Cutey Honey and Mazinger) we are having new shows and a movie respectively for them this year.

That said, I'm still looking forward for Megalobox since it looks quite nice.

I don't know if AnJ needs to be told again, at least not by literally copying the characters and having the story again be about Joe getting progressively killed in the ring just because he really likes it. Hopefully Megalobox is just like Devilman, with their own spin on things.
As far as I'm concerned, all they would really have to do is to create a cover of Midnight Blues, and I'll jizz my pants all the same.

>Cutie Honey
In that case it actually seems like Japan has a boner for remaking it every couple of years or so. I was fine with the 90s version that actually had some nudity here and there and made Honey look like a proper woman with curves.

>As far as I'm concerned, all they would really have to do is to create a cover of Midnight Blues
Fuck that. I'm still pissed They changed Joe's whistle in the second season when the original was so beautifully haunting. I want that song to come back.

youtube.com/watch?v=_b2zzxY24q4

When it comes to the original series (and I'm not gonna argue, the original intro is fucking iconic) I prefer Rikishi's theme. There's something about the shouts that I love. The melancholy of Midnight Blues and Joe just fucking around not caring about anything, juxtaposed with him getting the shit beaten out of him by Jose, is the best though.

It's the same person no doubt.

I read it a few months ago knowing the ending and I must say it was nice seeing Joe's development, it was a pretty good read.
I had to speed read some parts cause they where really uninteresting to me, also I hate that bitch Youko

>Hating Yoko
I mean, I can understand why some people hate Relena Darlian, but not Yoko. Sure, she does have her flaws and might come across as a bit conceited.

In the end, she was one of the few who truly understood Joe.

Will Joe show up in Megalo Box? He's got to, right? I'd be disappointed if I didn't get to see his beautiful face again.

he ded

Danpei had zero ability to stop Joe from fighting, Joe would've left him for a new manager if he'd tried to get him suspended for his trauma before it became obvious how bad it was.

>Relena Darlian
Who? Is she anime-only, or perhaps a similar character from a different series?

Everyone knows the ending, its referenced in pretty much everything.
And yeah, its worth it. The show/manga is a masterpiece.

Goes to show just how low the bar is for anime, I guess.

Would she be happier if Joe married her?

Would Joe be happier not dying as a virgin?

main girl from Gundam Wing.

Why do all anime boxers lack a father figure? Is that why they like to get punched in the face?

That's Hayama's style, not Umakoshi

Knowing the ending made the last few episodes of season 2 so depressing. It's amazing.

>Midnight Blues
I just finished watching 2 and I can't stop listening to it. Such a fitting song.

The end song is just as good if not better.